|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do some of the Japanese internees enlist in the army?
2. What else other than fossils do the internees find in the desert?
3. What does the camp organize to help the children?
4. Who is Mr. Kurihara with when he dies?
5. What is the title of chapter thirteen?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mr. Kurihara pass his time at the camp?
2. Why does Yuki have to spend time in an unfamiliar in chapter twelve?
3. How does the camp begin to get better in chapter thirteen?
4. Why does Ken decide not to accept a place at university?
5. What did Mr. Sakane experience in Montana?
6. Why does Ken decide to join the army in chapter sixteen?
7. Describe Yuki's hospital visit in chapter twelve.
8. How does Yuki hear the government are moving the internees to Utah?
9. Why is Yuki upset in chapter ten?
10. Summarize chapter sixteen.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the 1940s? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the novel if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the books reception in three different countries including the country the book was written. How do their opinions about the books differ? Was the book more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
Essay Topic 3
What problems do Yuki's generation face? How are the problems for Yuki's generation different to the problems her parents generation faced? Identify and discuss a significant problem facing your generation.
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)