|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What can the coupons be used to purchase?
2. Where is it prohibited for the internees to move to?
3. Who does Yuki receive a letter from?
4. Who has been imprisoned in Montana now for nine months?
5. What do the internees wear to stop the dust from effecting them?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize chapter 11.
2. How does Mr. Kurihara die in chapter fourteen?
3. How are the conditions at the camp continuing to improve in chapter fourteen?
4. Describe Yuki's hospital visit in chapter twelve.
5. How does Ken's situation become better in chapter thirteen?
6. Why is Yuki upset in chapter ten?
7. What did Mr. Sakane experience in Montana?
8. How does Yuki hear the government are moving the internees to Utah?
9. Summarize chapter sixteen.
10. How does life at the camp start to become better for the Sakane family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the 1940s? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the novel if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the values of the 1940s.
1. In what ways are the characters a product of their time?
2. How does the novel express the changes America was going through at the time?
3. Does modern society share any values with 1940s America?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the novel and helps to express character and theme.
2. Point of view
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)