|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ken feel in the desert?
2. What does Yuki have to do by herself while Emi is sick?
3. Why does Ken decide not to attend college?
4. Who is the first person Toda tells about Mr. Kurihara's death?
5. Who does Yuki try to visit on Christmas day?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize chapter thirteen.
2. Describe the Sakanes' new accommodation.
3. Why does Ken decide to join the army in chapter sixteen?
4. How does life at the camp start to become better for the Sakane family?
5. Summarize chapter ten.
6. How does Yuki hear the government are moving the internees to Utah?
7. What are the rules of the camp?
8. How are the conditions at the camp continuing to improve in chapter fourteen?
9. What does Yuki think of the camp at Topaz?
10. How does the camp begin to get better in chapter thirteen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Yuki's time in the camp affected one of the following areas in her life.
2. Social life.
3. Family life.
Essay Topic 2
Compare Yuki's character to the person she was at the beginning of the book to the person she is at the end.
1. What did Yuki hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2. What events changes Yuki's ideas about life?
3. How has Yuki's character changed by the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the values of the 1940s.
1. In what ways are the characters a product of their time?
2. How does the novel express the changes America was going through at the time?
3. Does modern society share any values with 1940s America?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)