|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is blowing through the camp when Yuki returns to her room?
2. What is the title of the twelfth chapter?
3. What is the title of chapter thirteen?
4. What does Yuki give Mr. Kurahara as a parting gift?
5. Who does Yuki feel she now rarely sees?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize chapter ten.
2. Describe the Sakanes' new accommodation.
3. Why does Ken fall into depression in chapter ten?
4. How does life at the camp start to become better for the Sakane family?
5. Why does Ken decide not to accept a place at university?
6. Summarize chapter thirteen.
7. How does Mr. Kurihara die in chapter fourteen?
8. Summarize chapter twelve.
9. What does Yuki think of the camp at Topaz?
10. What good news do the family receive in chapter 15?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 2
Compare Yuki's character to the person she was at the beginning of the book to the person she is at the end.
1. What did Yuki hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2. What events changes Yuki's ideas about life?
3. How has Yuki's character changed by the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Away from the main character examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does she introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)