|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of his father's possessions does Ken sell?
2. Who does Yuki give her canary to?
3. What does Yuki's mother say is not available?
4. What city does Mimi Nelson live in?
5. What does Yuki think is foolish?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Sakanes' new living space.
2. What is a Nisei Japanese American?
3. How does Mrs. Sakane try to make the best of a bad situation in chapter six?
4. What new role does Ken assume in chapter four?
5. Summarize chapter seven.
6. How do the government prepare for the evacuation?
7. Summarize chapter eight.
8. How does Ken's friend Jim help the Sakane family in chapter six?
9. How do the Sakanes' friends react to Mr. Sakane's arrest?
10. How do Yuki's friends react to her when she returns to school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the arguments for and against putting the Japanese into camps in the 1940s? What is Uchida's opinion how the Japanese and how does she express them? Do you agree or disagree with Uchida?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the 1940s? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the novel if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think Uchida ends the novel like she does? How else do you think she could have ended the novel? What meaning would that new ending have given the novel?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)