|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Yuki notice have been painted onto the walls of the apartment?
2. Where are the Japanese housed when there are no apartments left?
3. What has Tanforan been converted from?
4. What do the people in the camp wear around their nose and mouth?
5. What does Mrs. Sakane read everyday?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Yuki's mother annoy her at the beginning of chapter five?
2. What does Yuki state as her like and dislikes in the opening chapter?
3. Why is Yuki angry with her mother in the second chapter?
4. Describe Yuki's brother Ken.
5. What is a Nisei Japanese American?
6. Describe the camp at Tanforan.
7. How does Yuki show her love for America in chapter seven?
8. What news is the catalyst for destroying the Sakane family's life?
9. Why do the internees at the camp wear bandannas?
10. How does Mr. Sakane react when the police arrive to arrest him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the 1940s? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the novel if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think Uchida ends the novel like she does? How else do you think she could have ended the novel? What meaning would that new ending have given the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)