|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mr. Toda doing with his friend?
2. What city in California does Yuki live in?
3. What do the newlyweds do instead of leaving the camp?
4. What is Tanforan surrounded by?
5. What does Yuki notice have been painted onto the walls of the apartment?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ken's friend Jim help the Sakane family in chapter six?
2. Summarize chapter five.
3. What is a Nisei Japanese American?
4. Why is Ken depressed in chapter eight?
5. Why does Yuki's mother annoy her at the beginning of chapter five?
6. Summarize chapter seven.
7. Why do the Japanese have to sell their belongings so cheaply?
8. Describe the Sakanes' new living space.
9. How do the Sakanes meet the Kurihara family?
10. How does the Sakanes' non-Japanese neighbour help the family in chapter five?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the values of the 1940s.
1. In what ways are the characters a product of their time?
2. How does the novel express the changes America was going through at the time?
3. Does modern society share any values with 1940s America?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the novel and helps to express character and theme.
2. Point of view
Essay Topic 3
Pick a character from the novel and discuss their goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)