|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the girl Yuki meets in the hallway?
2. What do the Japanese Americans have to do at 8 p.m. every night?
3. Where does Mrs. Jamison's visit take place?
4. What is the title of chapter nine?
5. What prompts the FBI agent to leave the Sakanes' house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize chapter eight.
2. How do the Sakanes' friends react to Mr. Sakane's arrest?
3. Why is Ken depressed in chapter eight?
4. How do Yuki's friends react to her when she returns to school?
5. Summarize chapter seven.
6. Why can Japanese people not go to university on the West Coast?
7. What bad news do the Sakanes hear at the end of chapter three?
8. What does the FBI officer tell people who phone the Sakane house?
9. How does Mr. Sakane react when the police arrive to arrest him?
10. How does Yuki show her love for America in chapter seven?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Yuki's time in the camp affected one of the following areas in her life.
2. Social life.
3. Family life.
Essay Topic 2
Compare Yuki's character to the person she was at the beginning of the book to the person she is at the end.
1. What did Yuki hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2. What events changes Yuki's ideas about life?
3. How has Yuki's character changed by the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
What are the arguments for and against putting the Japanese into camps in the 1940s? What is Uchida's opinion how the Japanese and how does she express them? Do you agree or disagree with Uchida?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)