|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What have the horse troughs been converted into?
2. Which of the people who rang the Sakanes' doorbell remains at the house?
3. What special day is Yuki excited about?
4. What is the title of the seventh chapter?
5. What city does Mimi Nelson live in?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize chapter five.
2. How do the Sakane family prepare for the evacuation?
3. What does Mr. Sakane tell his family about his situation?
4. Why does Yuki's mother annoy her at the beginning of chapter five?
5. What bad news do the Sakanes hear at the end of chapter three?
6. How does Yuki show her love for America in chapter seven?
7. Describe the Kurihara family.
8. Why is Ken depressed in chapter eight?
9. What does Mrs. Sakane do with the food she receives from the Jamisons?
10. What is a Nisei Japanese American?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the novel and helps to express character and theme.
2. Point of view
Essay Topic 2
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the 1940s? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the novel if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 3
The author wrote Journey to Topaz in the first person. Why do you think the author chose to write the story in the first person? How do you think the meaning of the story would change if the author wrote it in the third person?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)