|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What part of the body does tuberculosis affect?
(a) The heart.
(b) The kidneys.
(c) The liver.
(d) The lungs.
2. What is Ken position at the hospital?
(b) Assistant doctor.
(c) Care assistant.
3. Why do some of the Japanese internees enlist in the army?
(a) To go to another country.
(b) To get out of the camp.
(c) To have some fun.
(d) To demonstrate their patriotism.
4. Which member of the family attempts to keep spirits up?
(b) Mrs. Sakane.
(c) Mr. Sakane.
5. Where is Mr. Kurihara buried?
(a) New York.
(c) San Francisco.
6. What can the coupons be used to purchase?
(a) Airplane tickets.
(b) American literature.
(c) Food and drink.
(d) Personal items.
7. How does Yuki communicate to Emi?
(a) Through the hospital window.
(b) By letter.
(c) By phone.
(d) Through the key hole.
8. To where are the authorities moving the internees?
9. What do the authorities issue to the adults once a month?
(a) Coupon books.
(c) Gift certificates.
(d) Food supplies.
10. What does Yuki notice about the water if it is left in the desert?
(a) The animals drink it.
(b) It turns stagnant.
(c) It boils.
(d) It freezes.
11. What does Mrs. Sakane insist Yuki does?
(a) Comply with orders.
(c) Clean her room.
(d) Cook meals.
12. How do the authorities eliminate most of the dust?
(a) Gravel the roads.
(b) Set up a dust sucker.
(c) Build high walls.
(d) Concrete the camp.
13. What is blowing through the camp when Yuki returns to her room?
14. What does Yuki say she is too excited to do?
(a) Look at the arrow heads.
(b) Eat with the Kuriharas.
(c) Go to school.
(d) Read a book.
15. What is the title of the twelfth chapter?
(a) In Sickness and in Health.
(b) The Unknown.
(c) Dust Storm.
(d) Cover Your Mouths.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the internees wear to stop the dust from effecting them?
2. Which character does Mr. Kurihara search the desert for arrowheads with?
3. What is the only thing available when Yuki gets to the ice cream counter?
4. What does Yuki envision when she hears the name Topaz?
5. Who is the first person Toda tells about Mr. Kurihara's death?
This section contains 365 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)