Chapter 1, Stranger at the Door
• Eleven year Yuki Sakane lives in Berkeley with her brother Ken and her parents Mr. and Mrs. Sakane. Yuki is excited because Christmas is only a few weeks away.
• Yuki is in her garden with her dog Pepper, watching a gray carp swim around the garden pond.
• Mrs. Sakane calls the family inside for dinner. Yuki notes how usually they invite their Japanese neighbors for tea, but today they are eating as a family, which Yuki prefers.
• As the family sit around for dinner, Mr. Sakane puts on the radio. A broadcast tells them the Japanese have attacked Pearl Harbor. Soon all their Japanese friends are phoning to talk about the consequences of the attack.
• The FBI and the police ring the Sakane's doorbell. They tell the family they have come to escort Mr. Sakane to the police station. Mr. Sakane wants to...
This section contains 1,724 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)