|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What job does Dr. Paraprine set up for Bardamu back in France?
2. Whom does Bardamu treat at the location he is called to at the beginning of Section 19?
3. How do the researchers in Section 17 treat their microbes, test tubes and laboratories?
4. In Section 14, who does Bardamu start seeing romantically?
5. Why is Robinson angry at Grandma Henrouille in Section 23?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is curious about the Grandma Henrouille case?
2. What profession does Bardamu enter into when he returns to Paris?
3. Why is Bardamu despairing of Robinson and Madelon's lifestyle?
4. Why does Bardamu go to Detroit?
5. Why does Bardamu look down upon the students that he hangs out with in Section 22?
6. What distresses Bardamu about his new profession in Section 15?
7. What does Bardamu hate about New York City?
8. What do we terribly suspect Robinson of doing in Section 23?
9. What profession does Bardamu take on in Section 15?
10. What job does Bardamu then later take on in Section 19, in addition to being a doctor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the relationship and the difference between the rich and the poor sectors of society in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
How does the use of the first person affect our reading of the novel? Cite examples to describe this interaction with the reader.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role and symbolism of carnivals in the novel. What role does the carnival play, structurally, to mark transitions of setting or changes in people's behavior?
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)