|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bardamu think about American couples?
2. Who benefits from the war in Bardamu's estimation?
3. What does Princhard believe will happen to himself?
4. What happens to the supplies Bardamu is entrusted with in Section 10?
5. Why are the other passengers on the steamboat suspicious of Bardamu?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the best description of the main character's personality?
2. What skills does Bardamu learn in Section 11 that proves useful to him?
3. Why does Bardamu set fire to his trading hut in Section 10?
4. Who is the man at the last trading hut before the jungle?
5. Who do Voireuse and Bardamu first approach for money in Section 7?
6. What is strange about the military outpost under Lt. Grappa's command?
7. What does Bardamu feel about Lola and the people of Paris?
8. What hallucination does Bardamu start to have at the end of Section 4 and why?
9. What does Bardamu think of the marching parade?
10. What does Bardamu realize about his new life in Africa, this new continent and the people he associates with?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When does Robinson usually appear in the novel? What effect does he often have on Bardamu?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role and symbolism of carnivals in the novel. What role does the carnival play, structurally, to mark transitions of setting or changes in people's behavior?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Bardamu's experience in Africa and compare it to his voyage to the United States.
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)