|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the town that Bardamu is sent to investigate so suspicious?
2. Who is Madamoiselle Herote?
3. Who is Bardamu's superior officer?
4. How does Bardamu think Americans solve their boredom?
5. What does Bardamu realize has happened to him in Section 11 after he wakes up from his illness?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Musyne, and why does her relationship with Bardamu fail to work?
2. In Section 7, where does Bardamu decide to go and why?
3. Why is Bardamu sent to the town of Noirceur?
4. What is the significance of Major Pincon's map?
5. Why is Robinson's appearance in Section 8 significant?
6. What does Bardamu find so calculating and ruthless about the Director?
7. Why does Bardamu set fire to his trading hut in Section 10?
8. What does Bardamu think about the Germans during the First World War?
9. Who do Voireuse and Bardamu first approach for money in Section 7?
10. In Bardamu's view, why do all the Americans go to the movies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the author’s critique of science, as posed through the character of Dr. Paraprine. Do you think that the author justified in his remarks?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of escapism and fantasy in the novel. How does it inform Bardamu and others' actions?
Essay Topic 3
The Journey To The End Of Night is set during and after the First World War, a world radically different than our own. Does the novel bear any relevance to our own times, our own society? Discuss.
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)