|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Bardamu's superior officer?
2. What family do Bardamu and the individual he starts hanging around with in Section 7 go to see?
3. What role does Bardamu perform in the army?
4. Whose house do Robinson and Bardamu visit in the village of Noirceur?
5. What does Bardamu realize has happened to him in Section 11 after he wakes up from his illness?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of Major Pincon's map?
2. What does Bardamu discover about Noirceur from its mayor?
3. What do the hospital patients attempt to do to amuse themselves?
4. Why is Robinson's appearance in Section 8 significant?
5. What is Voireuse's scheme for getting money?
6. In Section 5 and 6, where is Bardamu staying, and why?
7. What skills does Bardamu learn in Section 11 that proves useful to him?
8. Who is Musyne, and why does her relationship with Bardamu fail to work?
9. What is the traditional cure for cowardice used in the military hospitals?
10. Why is Bardamu sent to the town of Noirceur?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role and symbolism of carnivals in the novel. What role does the carnival play, structurally, to mark transitions of setting or changes in people's behavior?
Essay Topic 2
Is Bardamu's low evaluation of human nature justified? Do people behave differently under some conditions than others?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Bardamu's experience in Africa and compare it to his voyage to the United States.
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)