|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reasons does the Mayor of Noirceur cite for his treachery?
2. How does Bardamu think Americans solve their boredom?
3. In Section 4, where does Bardamu begin the narrative?
4. Who is Bardamu's superior officer?
5. How does Bardamu escape his problems in Section 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who do Voireuse and Bardamu first approach for money in Section 7?
2. Why does Bardamu look down on the nurses?
3. What do the hospital patients attempt to do to amuse themselves?
4. What does Bardamu discover about Noirceur from its mayor?
5. Whom does Bardamu meet outside Noirceur who becomes an enduring character in his own life?
6. What is the significance of Major Pincon's map?
7. Why is Robinson's appearance in Section 8 significant?
8. Why is Bardamu sent to the town of Noirceur?
9. In Section 5 and 6, where is Bardamu staying, and why?
10. What does Bardamu feel about Lola and the people of Paris?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role and symbolism of carnivals in the novel. What role does the carnival play, structurally, to mark transitions of setting or changes in people's behavior?
Essay Topic 2
How does this novel challenge our conventional ideas of the 'good' characters and the 'bad' ones, with respect to Robinson and Bardamu?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Bardamu think Manhattan Island is similar to a religious experience for some?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)