|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Bardamu's and Musyne's relationship complicated and difficult?
(a) Because Musyne was really a German spy
(b) Because of Musyne's infidelities with the military officers
(c) Because Robinson often got in the way
(d) Because Musyne never had any money
2. What instrument does Musyne play?
(a) The harp
(b) The violin
(c) The whistle
(d) The guitar
3. What is the only thing that Bardamu wishes for in Section 9?
(a) To go back to Paris
(b) To go back to the hospital
(c) To get out of the jungle
(d) To go back to the war
4. In what year does the book start?
5. Why are the other passengers on the steamboat suspicious of Bardamu?
(a) He is the only Frenchman
(b) He is the only paying passenger
(c) He was once a soldier
(d) He dresses very well
6. Who benefits from the war in Bardamu's estimation?
(a) The poor and the needy
(b) The British Isles
(c) The rich and powerful
(d) The military
7. Why does Lola want to help France in the First World War?
(a) She doesn't really
(b) She wants to be a heroine and to meet a hero
(c) She is bored
(d) She wants the money
8. How does Bardamu's superior in Section 9, the Director, make his money?
(a) Platinum and silver
(b) Rubber and peanuts
(c) Gold and silver
(d) Slaves and gold
9. What does Bardamu think the Manhattan Banks are similar to?
(c) The jungles
(d) Military hospitals
10. In Section 11, how does Bardamu survive the jungle?
(a) He meets Robinson
(b) He is carried out by natives
(c) He finds Alcide
(d) He treks out on his own
11. How does Bardamu escape his problems in Section 10?
(a) He works hard at their solutions
(b) He becomes one of Alcide's people
(c) He pretends he is ill
(d) He flees into the jungle
12. What do the soldiers have to do every month in order to get supplies?
(a) Fight off the natives
(b) Sail upriver
(c) Bribe their superior officers
(d) Rebuild the dock
13. According to Bardamu, why do the whites work so hard in the colonies?
(a) Life is so hard
(b) They have fantasies about becoming rich
(c) They will be beaten otherwise
(d) They are hard-working citizens
14. What job does Bardamu get for himself in America in Section 11?
(b) Police Officer
(c) Truck Driver
(d) Immigration Office Employee
15. Where does Bardamu decide to go?
(a) To America
(b) To Britain
(c) To the last trading post before the jungle
(d) To Fort Gono
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is being celebrated in the public occasion Bardamu sees passing his window?
2. Why did Princhard steal?
3. What is the name of the teacher that Bardamu meets while incarcerated in Section 5?
4. What does Princhard believe will happen to himself?
5. Where does Lola come from?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)