|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the beginning of Part II, who or what else is missing?
(a) Instructions from the League Court.
(b) Food needed for the rest of the journey.
(c) Other things from everyone.
(d) Orders from the Caliph.
2. How does the narrator describe his country at the end of the World War?
(a) It is enjoying a new prosperity.
(b) It is settling into a democratic time.
(c) It is under the rule of a strong dictator.
(d) It is full of saviors and prophets.
3. In Part II, where does one man assert an important document is?
(a) In a protective leather pouch.
(b) In Leo's bag.
(c) At the journey's end.
(d) In the Blue Pot.
4. What is the deserter relieved of by the Speaker in Part I?
(a) His personal journal.
(b) His cloak.
(c) His vow of silence.
(d) His prayer book.
5. Who or what does H.H. say is the basis of his community in Part II?
(a) The Bible.
(b) The League.
(c) The Enlightenment.
(d) The journey.
Short Answer Questions
1. What doubts do H.H.'s memory of the journey and participants of the World War share?
2. In Part II, what does H.H. say is very difficult for him to do?
3. According to H.H., what must the historian do to allow meaning into a narrative?
4. Who unexpectedly disappears from the journey as Part II opens?
5. What does the narrator's vow to the League forbid him to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part I, why does H.H. say the "Third Empire" has shattered?
2. In Part I why does H.H. insist that other authors who claim to be members of the League and write travel diaries are not telling the truth?
3. What extraordinary thing happens to each member of the journey in Morbio Inferore?
4. What is Morbio Inferiore?
5. How does H.H. feel in Part V when he is finally announced before the League?
6. How does Lukas help H.H. in his search for Leo in part III?
7. In Part II, what begins to happen to the unity of the journey members?
8. Who does H.H. compare his journey and its participants to in Part II?
9. What does H.H. realize in Part V about Leo's presence in his living room?
10. What spiritual advances does H.H. say occurs just after the World War?
This section contains 1,075 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)