|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the deserter relieved of by the Speaker in Part I?
(a) His vow of silence.
(b) His prayer book.
(c) His cloak.
(d) His personal journal.
2. What does the narrator's vow to the League forbid him to do?
(a) Communicate anything about his personal experiences.
(b) Advocate for another member if they are courtmartialed.
(c) Die for the sake of the League.
(d) Disclose anything about the League.
3. What does the narrator say each member on the Journey East has to have?
(a) Their own private goals.
(b) Food enough to share with each traveller.
(c) A common goal.
(d) Sturdy boots and clothing.
4. In Part I, what is Longus doing in "the wood"?
(a) Writing Greek and Hebrew.
(b) Carving his enchantment flute.
(c) Playing with two white dogs.
(d) Meditating with Leo.
5. What belief does H.H. say he is sadly sure of?
(a) His health will weaken befor the Journey is complete.
(b) His friend, Lukas, is a liar.
(c) He will never meet Princess Fatima.
(d) The original League document is in Leo's bag.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator says is impairing him as he starts his narration early in Part I?
2. Who preserves the memory of Hohenstaufen?
3. At the beginning of Part II, who or what else is missing?
4. What time of year does H.H. recall in Part II?
5. Mohamed's coffin is believed to hold what magical power?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part I why does H.H. insist that other authors who claim to be members of the League and write travel diaries are not telling the truth?
2. Why do you think H.H. says there was a leaning towards Easter religions after the World War?
3. What can be determined about H.H.'s mood as he begins his journey in Part I?
4. What does H.H. say is his personal goal on the League's journey to the east?
5. What does H.H. say happens to the overall mood of the journey at the beginning of Part II?
6. Why does H.H. say that the journey servant, Leo, seems wiser than he appears?
7. What is Morbio Inferiore?
8. Describe what happens to upset the journey members as Part II begins.
9. What spiritual advances does H.H. say occurs just after the World War?
10. What reason does H.H. give in Part I about readers of his memoirs not comprehending them?
This section contains 1,030 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)