|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Part I, who or what does the narrator meet at the riverside?
(a) Puss 'n Boots.
(b) A talking peacock.
(c) Charles the Great.
2. What does H.H. says happens when he examines things too closely?
(a) They come into sharp relief.
(b) They slip away and dissolve.
(c) They become a heavy burden.
(d) THey are imprinted forever in his memory.
3. What is the deserter relieved of by the Speaker in Part I?
(a) His vow of silence.
(b) His cloak.
(c) His prayer book.
(d) His personal journal.
4. According to H.H. what is new to the group in Part II?
(a) Their disputes.
(b) Their spirituality.
(c) Their leader.
(d) Their goals.
5. What does everyone agree on about a particular document in Part II?
(a) It is in a linen bag.
(b) It is a copy.
(c) It is an original.
(d) It is of great value.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say is the one paradox that must be accepted?
2. In Part II, what does H.H. say he would willing exchange his belief for?
3. In Part I, what holds up the journey's progress in a small provincial town?
4. In Part I, what does the narrator realize about the Journey East?
5. What does the narrator say about Leo at the end of Part I?
Short Essay Questions
1. What extraordinary thing happens to each member of the journey in Morbio Inferore?
2. Why do you think H.H. says there was a leaning towards Easter religions after the World War?
3. Who does H.H. compare his journey and its participants to in Part II?
4. What reason does H.H. give in Part I about readers of his memoirs not comprehending them?
5. What is Morbio Inferiore?
6. In Part I, why does H.H. say the "Third Empire" has shattered?
7. Why do you think H.H. compares his journey to a comet?
8. What does H.H. say happens to the overall mood of the journey at the beginning of Part II?
9. What can be determined about H.H.'s mood as he begins his journey in Part I?
10. How does H.H. describe his self-reflection at the end of Part II?
This section contains 1,068 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)