|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What unmerited reputation does the League have in Part I?
(a) They are commisioned by St. Christopher.
(b) They will restore the monarchy.
(c) They will overthrow the government in India.
(d) They will take back the Holy Land.
2. What is the deserter relieved of by the Speaker in Part I?
(a) His cloak.
(b) His vow of silence.
(c) His personal journal.
(d) His prayer book.
3. Who or what does H.H. say is the basis of his community in Part II?
(a) The League.
(b) The Enlightenment.
(c) The Bible.
(d) The journey.
4. In Part I, what does the narrator realize about the Journey East?
(a) It is a long and difficult journey.
(b) It brings full enlightment to each traveler.
(c) It is a procession of believers moving towards the East.
(d) It is a single pilgrmage.
5. What leads to heated arguments within the group at the beginning of Part II?
(a) H.H.'s very bad temper.
(b) The leader's inablilty to gain the group's confidence.
(c) Whether or not to continue the journey.
(d) The possible loss of an important document.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the group camp as Part II begins?
2. In Part II, another person on the journey claims what about certain writings?
3. In the beginning of Part II, how does H.H. say the character's disappearance came about?
4. Who or what occupies the narrator's thoughts the most on the journey in Part I?
5. What is it that H.H. says a historian searches for in events?
Short Essay Questions
1. What extraordinary thing happens to each member of the journey in Morbio Inferore?
2. In Part II, what does H.H. say happens when he tries to think about the events of his journey?
3. Why does H.H. say that the journey servant, Leo, seems wiser than he appears?
4. Who does H.H. compare his journey and its participants to in Part II?
5. What does H.H. say is his personal goal on the League's journey to the east?
6. In Part II, what is the confusion among the members over a missing document?
7. Describe what happens to upset the journey members as Part II begins.
8. In Part I, why does H.H. say the "Third Empire" has shattered?
9. Why do you think H.H. says there was a leaning towards Easter religions after the World War?
10. What reason does H.H. give in Part I about readers of his memoirs not comprehending them?
This section contains 1,110 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)