|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Part I, what does the narrator say world history often seems like?
(a) A short respite between national wars.
(b) Humanity's desire to erase its memory.
(c) Glorious revelations of previous generations.
(d) A waste of time to study.
2. What unmerited reputation does the League have in Part I?
(a) They will overthrow the government in India.
(b) They will restore the monarchy.
(c) They will take back the Holy Land.
(d) They are commisioned by St. Christopher.
3. In Part I, what does the narrator say the conquered nations are ready to believe in?
(a) Long lasting peace.
(b) Things beyond reality.
(c) A time of great exploration.
(d) Their freedom.
4. What is the deserter relieved of by the Speaker in Part I?
(a) His vow of silence.
(b) His cloak.
(c) His personal journal.
(d) His prayer book.
5. Who or what occupies the narrator's thoughts the most on the journey in Part I?
(b) The Speaker.
(c) The Holy Grail.
(d) Solomon's Key.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does H.H. believe is the most memorable event in Part II?
2. What is placed on the narrator as he is admitted into the League?
3. What does the deserter wish to do some time later?
4. According to H.H., what must the historian do to allow meaning into a narrative?
5. According to H.H. what is new to the group in Part II?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does H.H. describe his self-reflection at the end of Part II?
2. What do Lukas and his circle of friends say in Part III about H.H.'s expedition?
3. Explain what H.H. says happens to the journey in Part III.
4. In Part IV, what does the person in the park say to H.H. about people who give up their abilities and ambitions?
5. In Part V, what does H.H. say he has felt about the League until this point?
6. In Part V, what item does H.H. recognize as he awaits the decision of the League officials?
7. How does Lukas help H.H. in his search for Leo in part III?
8. In Part I, why does H.H. say the "Third Empire" has shattered?
9. In Part II, what does H.H. say happens when he tries to think about the events of his journey?
10. What does H.H. say happens to the overall mood of the journey at the beginning of Part II?
This section contains 1,011 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)