|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first amazing phenomenon the narrator sees in Part I's journey?
(a) Leo turning himself into a dog.
(b) The Child Savior showing the way east.
(c) Saint Christopher pointing to the left.
(d) Agramant fighting the League leader.
2. How does the narrator describe his country at the end of the World War?
(a) It is under the rule of a strong dictator.
(b) It is full of saviors and prophets.
(c) It is settling into a democratic time.
(d) It is enjoying a new prosperity.
3. In Part I, what does the narrator say the conquered nations are ready to believe in?
(a) Things beyond reality.
(b) A time of great exploration.
(c) Long lasting peace.
(d) Their freedom.
4. What does H.H. says happens when he examines things too closely?
(a) THey are imprinted forever in his memory.
(b) They slip away and dissolve.
(c) They come into sharp relief.
(d) They become a heavy burden.
5. Where does the group think they will go after they see the Goblin?
(a) Follow the Goblin to the signpost.
(b) To the safety of the valley.
(c) To the Blue Pot.
(d) Continue their journey without interruption.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the deserter wish to do some time later?
2. What does the Leader say about "grace" in Part I?
3. In Part I, what does the narrator realize about the Journey East?
4. Who unexpectedly disappears from the journey as Part II opens?
5. How does H.H. describe certain articles in Part II?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part II, what does H.H. say happens when he tries to think about the events of his journey?
2. How does H.H. describe his self-reflection at the end of Part II?
3. In Part I why does H.H. insist that other authors who claim to be members of the League and write travel diaries are not telling the truth?
4. In Part II, what begins to happen to the unity of the journey members?
5. What reason does H.H. give in Part I about readers of his memoirs not comprehending them?
6. What spiritual advances does H.H. say occurs just after the World War?
7. Describe what happens to upset the journey members as Part II begins.
8. In Part I, why does H.H. say it is his "destiny" to join in a great experience?
9. In Part I, why does H.H. say the "Third Empire" has shattered?
10. In Part I, why does H.H. decide to try to write a description of his journey?
This section contains 1,108 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)