|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does H.H. says happens when he examines things too closely?
(a) THey are imprinted forever in his memory.
(b) They slip away and dissolve.
(c) They come into sharp relief.
(d) They become a heavy burden.
2. What does the deserter wish to do some time later?
(a) Gain the confidence of the League Speaker.
(b) Write his memoirs for publication.
(c) Be forgiven and rejoin the League.
(d) Expose the League's secrets.
3. What is the narrator's life-goal?
(a) To travel with Roland.
(b) To understand the "Tao".
(c) To win the love of Princess Fatima.
(d) To capture a magical snake.
4. In Part One, who does the narrator quote as saying, "Where are we really going"?
(a) The poet Novalis.
(c) The narrator.
(d) The League novitiates.
5. How does the narrator describe the times early in Part I?
(a) Difficult times.
(b) Painful times.
(c) Remarkable times.
(d) Prosperous times.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the narrator meet in Part I and love immediately?
2. What does the narrator say each member on the Journey East has to have?
3. What leads to heated arguments within the group at the beginning of Part II?
4. According to H.H., what does the disappearance of a particular member threaten?
5. In Part I, what does the narrator believe is his great fortune?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Morbio Inferiore?
2. In Part II, what does H.H. say happens when he tries to think about the events of his journey?
3. What reason does H.H. give in Part I about readers of his memoirs not comprehending them?
4. Why does H.H. say that the journey servant, Leo, seems wiser than he appears?
5. What spiritual advances does H.H. say occurs just after the World War?
6. In Part I, why does H.H. decide to try to write a description of his journey?
7. Describe Leo's characteristics as put forth in Part II by H.H.
8. Describe what happens to upset the journey members as Part II begins.
9. In Part I, what does H.H. say is characteristic of the journey?
10. In Part II, what does H.H. say is a well known human weakness about "things"?
This section contains 1,007 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)