|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Part I, what holds up the journey's progress in a small provincial town?
(a) Terrible flooding.
(b) The opposition of Saturn and the moon.
(c) The Prince of the provinces.
(d) The Journey leader quits.
2. In Part I, how does the narrator describe encounters with different parties?
(a) Parties ban together for the rest of the journey.
(b) As difficult and confusing.
(c) Different parties are very secretive.
(d) As pleasant, festive days.
3. Who or what does H.H. say is the basis of his community in Part II?
(a) The Bible.
(b) The journey.
(c) The League.
(d) The Enlightenment.
4. According to H.H., what does the disappearance of a particular member threaten?
(a) Leo's ability to perform magic.
(b) The value and meaning of everything, even life.
(c) The future of the League.
(d) The secrecy of the League.
5. In Part II, what does H.H. say is the only important thing in his life?
(a) Writing his memoirs.
(b) The Conquest of the Ottoman Empire.
(c) The love of Fatima.
(d) The League's Journey East.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part I, what does the narrator realize about the Journey East?
2. Where does the group think they will go after they see the Goblin?
3. In Part II, where does one man assert an important document is?
4. What does everyone agree on about a particular document in Part II?
5. What doubts do H.H.'s memory of the journey and participants of the World War share?
Short Essay Questions
1. What spiritual advances does H.H. say occurs just after the World War?
2. What does H.H. say is his personal goal on the League's journey to the east?
3. In Part II, what does H.H. say happens when he tries to think about the events of his journey?
4. What reason does H.H. give in Part I about readers of his memoirs not comprehending them?
5. How does H.H. describe his self-reflection at the end of Part II?
6. Why do you think H.H. says there was a leaning towards Easter religions after the World War?
7. In Part I, why does H.H. say the "Third Empire" has shattered?
8. In Part II, what begins to happen to the unity of the journey members?
9. In Part I, why does H.H. say it is his "destiny" to join in a great experience?
10. In Part I why does H.H. insist that other authors who claim to be members of the League and write travel diaries are not telling the truth?
This section contains 1,089 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)