|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is it that H.H. says a historian searches for in events?
(a) The truth.
(b) The relevance of the event.
(c) The center, the common standpoint.
(d) The importance of the matter.
2. At the beginning of Part II, who or what else is missing?
(a) Orders from the Caliph.
(b) Food needed for the rest of the journey.
(c) Other things from everyone.
(d) Instructions from the League Court.
3. In the beginning of Part II, how does H.H. say the character's disappearance came about?
(a) It is because of an accident.
(b) That character has an emergency at home.
(c) It is a link in a chain of disasterous events.
(d) That character leaves the League.
4. What does the narrator say each member on the Journey East has to have?
(a) Food enough to share with each traveller.
(b) Sturdy boots and clothing.
(c) A common goal.
(d) Their own private goals.
5. What time of year does H.H. recall in Part II?
(b) Summer/Bacchus Festival.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator describe his country at the end of the World War?
2. What does everyone agree on about a particular document in Part II?
3. According to H.H. what is new to the group in Part II?
4. In Part I, what does the narrator say that several other authors claim?
5. What impression do most people have of the League?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part II, what does H.H. say happens when he tries to think about the events of his journey?
2. In Part I why does H.H. insist that other authors who claim to be members of the League and write travel diaries are not telling the truth?
3. In Part II, does H.H. believe he can tell his story?
4. What can be determined about H.H.'s mood as he begins his journey in Part I?
5. How does H.H. describe his self-reflection at the end of Part II?
6. In Part I, why does H.H. say the "Third Empire" has shattered?
7. What reason does H.H. give in Part I about readers of his memoirs not comprehending them?
8. What does H.H. say happens to the overall mood of the journey at the beginning of Part II?
9. What does H.H. say is his personal goal on the League's journey to the east?
10. In Part II, what does H.H. say is a well known human weakness about "things"?
This section contains 1,105 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)