|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Part I, how does the narrator describe encounters with different parties?
(a) Different parties are very secretive.
(b) As difficult and confusing.
(c) As pleasant, festive days.
(d) Parties ban together for the rest of the journey.
2. What or who does H.H. wish to save in Part II?
(a) Some records of their great cause.
(b) The Count of Keyserling.
(c) His faith.
(d) The League's court decisions.
3. What is the narrator's life-goal?
(a) To capture a magical snake.
(b) To win the love of Princess Fatima.
(c) To travel with Roland.
(d) To understand the "Tao".
4. Where does the group think they will go after they see the Goblin?
(a) To the safety of the valley.
(b) To the Blue Pot.
(c) Follow the Goblin to the signpost.
(d) Continue their journey without interruption.
5. What does the Leader say about "grace" in Part I?
(a) Once found it cannot be lost.
(b) It is not recognized by common people.
(c) It cannot be bought.
(d) It is regained by repentance.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part II, what does H.H. say he would willing exchange his belief for?
2. In Part I, who or what does the narrator meet at the riverside?
3. What doubts do H.H.'s memory of the journey and participants of the World War share?
4. How is Leo described by H.H. in Part II?
5. What is placed on the narrator as he is admitted into the League?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part I why does H.H. insist that other authors who claim to be members of the League and write travel diaries are not telling the truth?
2. What extraordinary thing happens to each member of the journey in Morbio Inferore?
3. What is Morbio Inferiore?
4. In Part I, why does H.H. say the "Third Empire" has shattered?
5. In Part II, what is the confusion among the members over a missing document?
6. Why does H.H. say that the journey servant, Leo, seems wiser than he appears?
7. Why do you think H.H. compares his journey to a comet?
8. Describe what happens to upset the journey members as Part II begins.
9. How does H.H. describe his self-reflection at the end of Part II?
10. In Part II, what does H.H. say is a well known human weakness about "things"?
This section contains 1,076 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)