|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator say about Leo at the end of Part I?
(a) He is the holder of Solomon's Key.
(b) He probably knows more than the entire group.
(c) He is closer than a brother to the narrator.
(d) He is very unreliable.
2. What does the narrator say is the one paradox that must be accepted?
(a) It is necessary to attempt the seemingly impossible.
(b) A fool is wiser than the greatest king.
(c) Life and death are inseparable.
(d) Love conquers all obstacles.
3. What doubts do H.H.'s memory of the journey and participants of the World War share?
(a) Whether their story is worth telling.
(b) Whether they will ever forget.
(c) Whether others care what happened to them.
(d) Whether or not they really experienced it.
4. According to H.H., what does the disappearance of a particular member threaten?
(a) The secrecy of the League.
(b) The value and meaning of everything, even life.
(c) Leo's ability to perform magic.
(d) The future of the League.
5. What is the unanimously observed rule of the group?
(a) Convert unbelievers along their journey,
(b) Go to Africa and rescue a member from the Moors.
(c) Preach their gospel to all they met.
(d) Pay homage to all the ancient places of the League.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to H.H.'s first attempt to tell his story?
2. In Part I, what does the narrator say that several other authors claim?
3. How does H.H. describe his demeanor in Part II?
4. In Part I, what does the narrator realize about the Journey East?
5. What does H.H. say his belief is susceptible to in Part II?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does H.H. compare his journey and its participants to in Part II?
2. In Part I, why does H.H. decide to try to write a description of his journey?
3. How does H.H. describe his self-reflection at the end of Part II?
4. What is Morbio Inferiore?
5. In Part II, what does H.H. say happens when he tries to think about the events of his journey?
6. What does H.H. say happens to the overall mood of the journey at the beginning of Part II?
7. In Part I, why does H.H. say the "Third Empire" has shattered?
8. What spiritual advances does H.H. say occurs just after the World War?
9. In Part I, why does H.H. say it is his "destiny" to join in a great experience?
10. In Part II, what does H.H. say is a well known human weakness about "things"?
This section contains 1,148 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)