|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the deserter relieved of by the Speaker in Part I?
(a) His vow of silence.
(b) His prayer book.
(c) His personal journal.
(d) His cloak.
2. What does the narrator say about Leo at the end of Part I?
(a) He is the holder of Solomon's Key.
(b) He is closer than a brother to the narrator.
(c) He is very unreliable.
(d) He probably knows more than the entire group.
3. In Part I, what is Longus doing in "the wood"?
(a) Carving his enchantment flute.
(b) Meditating with Leo.
(c) Writing Greek and Hebrew.
(d) Playing with two white dogs.
4. In Part I, what does the narrator say the conquered nations are ready to believe in?
(a) A time of great exploration.
(b) Long lasting peace.
(c) Their freedom.
(d) Things beyond reality.
5. What does everyone agree on about a particular document in Part II?
(a) It is a copy.
(b) It is in a linen bag.
(c) It is of great value.
(d) It is an original.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Part II, who or what else is missing?
2. At the beginning of Part II, where does the character leave the journey?
3. According to H.H., what must the historian do to allow meaning into a narrative?
4. Who or what does H.H. say is the basis of his community in Part II?
5. According to H.H., what does the disappearance of a particular member threaten?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does H.H. describe his self-reflection at the end of Part II?
2. What is Morbio Inferiore?
3. In Part II, what does H.H. say happens when he tries to think about the events of his journey?
4. In Part II, what does H.H. say is a well known human weakness about "things"?
5. Why does H.H. say that the journey servant, Leo, seems wiser than he appears?
6. In Part I, what does H.H. say is characteristic of the journey?
7. In Part I, why does H.H. decide to try to write a description of his journey?
8. What does H.H. say happens to the overall mood of the journey at the beginning of Part II?
9. In Part I, why does H.H. say the "Third Empire" has shattered?
10. In Part II, what is the confusion among the members over a missing document?
This section contains 1,069 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)