|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part I.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Part I, what does the narrator say world history often seems like?
(a) A waste of time to study.
(b) Glorious revelations of previous generations.
(c) A short respite between national wars.
(d) Humanity's desire to erase its memory.
2. In Part I, what does the narrator believe is his great fortune?
(a) To belong to the League.
(b) To be a gifted writer.
(c) To find a rare map.
(d) To inherit a modest fortune.
3. What impression do most people have of the League?
(a) It is a league of wonderous judges.
(b) It is an ancient group of mystics.
(c) It is the secret protectors of Christian artifacts.
(d) It is one of many newly blossomed cults.
4. How does the narrator describe all the artists, poets, and musicians among the group in Part I?
(a) Distracting the group from their goal.
(b) Gracious hosts at the feast in Zurich.
(c) The chief source of comfort for the group.
(d) Animated yet half-real, half-there.
5. In Part I, what does the narrator realize about the Journey East?
(a) It brings full enlightment to each traveler.
(b) It is a long and difficult journey.
(c) It is a single pilgrmage.
(d) It is a procession of believers moving towards the East.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part I, how does the narrator describe encounters with different parties?
2. What does the narrator say is the one paradox that must be accepted?
3. How does the narrator describe his country at the end of the World War?
4. What is placed on the narrator as he is admitted into the League?
5. What does the deserter wish to do some time later?
This section contains 382 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)