|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The place of power is not a ___________, so there are no bones buried there as Castaneda guesses might be.
2. What is the name of the person that Castaneda stays with when Don Juan goes off to do an errand?
3. What makes Castaneda and the item from #170 the same - Our __________ made us equal.
4. Don Juan had planned to __________ Castaneda in the space for a night, but he does not have the power, according to Don Juan.
5. What does Castaneda describe as - its eyes are friendly and clear - so he is not afraid of it?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Castaneda say that he fears Don Genero when he meets up with him again?
2. What costume does Castaneda see Don Juan as wearing when he and the other men are sitting around the fire?
3. What does Don Juan give to Castaneda to wear around his neck?
4. What is the purpose of the trip the men are taking to the mountain range?
5. What does Don Juan say about his own death and his interaction with it?
6. Why are the town partygoers annoyed with Castaneda, even though he buys drinks for everyone?
7. What is the lesson that Castaneda learns from the beetle that comes out a hole inches from his face?
8. Why did Don Juan trick Castaneda into confronting La Catalina the month before?
9. Why is Castaneda left on the mountain as the other two men walk away into the distance?
10. What is the yellow formation that Castaneda sees, making him feel slightly ill in the process?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The goal of becoming a hunter is not what Castaneda planned to do when he decided to work with Don Juan for his school project.
Part 1: Why is becoming a hunter essential to Castaneda's success with Don Juan?
Part 2: What qualities make Castaneda a strong hunter? A weak hunter?
Part 3: What might the process of learning to be a hunter be a metaphor for in the two men's work together?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout this story are various omens that are meant to show Castaneda things about himself.
Part 1: Why are omens important in this story?
Part 2: Which omen is most important to Castaneda's learning? Why?
Part 3: Why do you think the crow continues to show up for Castaneda in this book?
Essay Topic 3
The encounter with the coyote is one that is shocking and thrilling to the reader and to Castaneda in his retelling, it seems.
Part 1: Why was Castaneda sent out to go alone to the mountains until his body tells him to quit?
Part 2: Why is the coyote an important figure or image for Castaneda to see?
Part 3: Is the coyote real or is it a hallucination? Why?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)