Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the person that Castaneda stays with when Don Juan goes off to do an errand?
2. Don Juan tells Castaneda: "The secret is not in what you do ________________, but rather in what you don't do."
3. Don Juan says that the storing of _________ is a personal thing that he cannot define or explain.
4. What is the yellow mass that Castaneda is told to stare at when he and Don Juan go to the desert?
5. The two men leave Castaneda on the mountain to decide whether he feels ready to keep his ___________.
Essay Topic 1
The decision to meet with Don Juan is one that Castaneda does not make lightly. At the same time, it seems to be a decision he doesn't quite think through.
Part 1: Why do you think Castaneda choose Don Juan to work with in his book?
Part 2: Do you think Don Juan believes Castaneda to be a worthy student? Why or why not?
Part 3: What might Castaneda have done differently if he were to be able to redo his first meeting with Don Juan?
Essay Topic 2
Searching for power sounds like a difficult task for anyone to do, but Don Juan leads Castaneda on the quest nonetheless.
Part 1: Why is a search for power important for Castaneda to learn in his studies?
Part 2: Why do you think the search for power is such an unpredictable experience?
Part 3: Do you think Castaneda already has power or does he have to search for it outside of himself? Why did you choose the answer you did?
Essay Topic 3
The encounter with the coyote is one that is shocking and thrilling to the reader and to Castaneda in his retelling, it seems.
Part 1: Why was Castaneda sent out to go alone to the mountains until his body tells him to quit?
Part 2: Why is the coyote an important figure or image for Castaneda to see?
Part 3: Is the coyote real or is it a hallucination? Why?
This section contains 355 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)