|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Castaneda's attempts to stop _________ with Don Genaro were disastrous, according to Castaneda.
2. What has Don Genaro done to the Castaneda's car, much to the disbelief of Castaneda?
3. What does Don Juan want Castaneda to move his eyes back and forth along?
4. As Castaneda's benefactor, it is up to Don Juan to take him to ___________.
5. What kinds of motions does Don Genaro make on the floor which seem to defy nature?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why aren't Don Juan and Castaneda staying the night at the rock conglomerate?
2. What does Don Juan tell Castaneda about his feelings of remorse about his own life?
3. Why are the town partygoers annoyed with Castaneda, even though he buys drinks for everyone?
4. What is the purpose of the trip the men are taking to the mountain range?
5. What costume does Castaneda see Don Juan as wearing when he and the other men are sitting around the fire?
6. Why does Don Juan warn Castaneda not to turn around as they leave the Indians they have met?
7. How does Don Juan say that a good hunter will always know when someone else has been somewhere?
8. What needs to happen in order for Don Juan to know Castaneda is ready to hunt power?
9. What does Don Juan say about his own death and his interaction with it?
10. What does Don Juan say when Castaneda asks him how old he is, as he sees him moving with agility?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The idea of 'not-doing' is one that is foreign to many people as our lives are centered on getting more and more done, it seems.
Part 1: How would you define the idea of 'not-doing' in the modern world?
Part 2: Why is 'not-doing' so important for the work that Don Juan and Castaneda are doing?
Part 3: What might happen if 'not-doing' was not a part of the lessons that Castaneda receives?
Essay Topic 2
The goal of becoming a hunter is not what Castaneda planned to do when he decided to work with Don Juan for his school project.
Part 1: Why is becoming a hunter essential to Castaneda's success with Don Juan?
Part 2: What qualities make Castaneda a strong hunter? A weak hunter?
Part 3: What might the process of learning to be a hunter be a metaphor for in the two men's work together?
Essay Topic 3
Assuming responsibility seems to be one of the first steps a person must take in the journey to self power and self awareness.
Part 1: Why is responsibility important to assume in one's life?
Part 2: Why is it important for Castaneda to learn more about responsibility?
Part 3: What might happen if Castaneda never assumed responsibility?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)