|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Don Juan says the Castaneda reminds him of himself - he did not want to be a _____________ either.
2. Don Juan tells Castaneda that the rocks around him are not rocks, but rather they are _________ that hold him suspended.
3. When Don Juan tells Castaneda to act normal, he instructs him to __________.
4. What does Castaneda ask when Don Genaro tells him he was directed to go to Ixtlan?
5. Where does Don Juan go as the men are talking to each other around the gathering place?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Don Genero use to make a kite, confusing Castaneda's perception of how a kite should work?
2. Why does Castaneda say that he fears Don Genero when he meets up with him again?
3. What is the yellow formation that Castaneda sees, making him feel slightly ill in the process?
4. What does Don Juan tell Castaneda about his feelings of remorse about his own life?
5. Why did Don Juan trick Castaneda into confronting La Catalina the month before?
6. What does Don Juan give to Castaneda to wear around his neck?
7. What is the purpose of the trip the men are taking to the mountain range?
8. What does Castaneda say is like a disease to him, which he begins to realize is a problem?
9. What does Don Juan give to Castaneda, saying they will keep him warm during the night?
10. What does Don Juan say when Castaneda asks him how old he is, as he sees him moving with agility?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The disappearing car is certainly something that takes Castaneda by surprise and it seems to signal a new chapter in his growth.
Part 1: Why do you think the car's disappearance is important to Castaneda's learning?
Part 2: Do you think the car really disappeared? Why or why not?
Part 3: What do you think the lesson of the disappearing car might have been?
Essay Topic 2
A battle between someone who is good and someone who is bad is nothing new to stories of spirituality. La Catalina is certainly someone to fear, it seems.
Part 1: Why would La Catalina want to find out more about Castaneda or fight him?
Part 2: Do you think La Catalina is really following Castaneda or is this another test from Don Juan? Why or why not?
Part 3: What do the attacks by La Catalina signify in Castaneda's training?
Essay Topic 3
Don Juan is insistent that Castaneda must not want change because he doesn't seem to be changing much between their meetings.
Part 1: Why is it important to Don Juan that he see change in Castaneda?
Part 2: Do you think Castaneda really wants to change himself? Why or why not?
Part 3: Can a person avoid changing? Why or why not? Isn't change just a natural process that doesn't need to be instigated? Why or why not?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)