|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Don Juan says the Castaneda reminds him of himself - he did not want to be a _____________ either.
2. Don Juan yells at Castaneda who feels strange, as though something is about to ____________.
3. Don Juan says they must wait for an omen to know what to do with the ____________ who is interfering with Castaneda.
4. Where does Don Juan go as the men are talking to each other around the gathering place?
5. As Castaneda might become deathly ill, they must go to his place of ____________ to be cleansed and restored.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Don Juan say that a good hunter will always know when someone else has been somewhere?
2. Why is Castaneda left on the mountain as the other two men walk away into the distance?
3. What does Don Juan say about his own death and his interaction with it?
4. What does Don Juan tell Castaneda about his feelings of remorse about his own life?
5. What does Don Genero use to make a kite, confusing Castaneda's perception of how a kite should work?
6. What is the lesson that Castaneda learns from the beetle that comes out a hole inches from his face?
7. Why does Don Juan warn Castaneda not to turn around as they leave the Indians they have met?
8. Why are the town partygoers annoyed with Castaneda, even though he buys drinks for everyone?
9. Why did Don Juan trick Castaneda into confronting La Catalina the month before?
10. What does Castaneda say is like a disease to him, which he begins to realize is a problem?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Most people believe they need to be more accessible than to be less accessible to others, but Don Juan disagrees.
Part 1: Why is it important to be inaccessible to others? What are the benefits?
Part 2: Why is it harmful to be too accessible to others? What are the negatives associated with this practice?
Part 3: What do you think? Do you think accessibility should be restricted? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The goal of becoming a hunter is not what Castaneda planned to do when he decided to work with Don Juan for his school project.
Part 1: Why is becoming a hunter essential to Castaneda's success with Don Juan?
Part 2: What qualities make Castaneda a strong hunter? A weak hunter?
Part 3: What might the process of learning to be a hunter be a metaphor for in the two men's work together?
Essay Topic 3
The disappearing car is certainly something that takes Castaneda by surprise and it seems to signal a new chapter in his growth.
Part 1: Why do you think the car's disappearance is important to Castaneda's learning?
Part 2: Do you think the car really disappeared? Why or why not?
Part 3: What do you think the lesson of the disappearing car might have been?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)