|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Don Juan says that the storing of _________ is a personal thing that he cannot define or explain.
2. But when Castaneda gets an explanation of the rings of power, he only wanted to get an explanation for ____________.
3. Don Juan yells at Castaneda who feels strange, as though something is about to ____________.
4. Don Juan tells Castaneda that the rocks around him are not rocks, but rather they are _________ that hold him suspended.
5. Don Juan uses a rock to show the idea of not-doing. "To look at it is ___________ but to see is __________."
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the purpose of the trip the men are taking to the mountain range?
2. Why does Don Juan warn Castaneda not to turn around as they leave the Indians they have met?
3. What does Don Juan tell Castaneda about his feelings of remorse about his own life?
4. Why is Castaneda left on the mountain as the other two men walk away into the distance?
5. Why does Castaneda say that he fears Don Genero when he meets up with him again?
6. What does Castaneda say is like a disease to him, which he begins to realize is a problem?
7. What does a warrior have to do when he is out on the hunt?
8. What needs to happen in order for Don Juan to know Castaneda is ready to hunt power?
9. What does Don Juan say when Castaneda asks him how old he is, as he sees him moving with agility?
10. Why are the town partygoers annoyed with Castaneda, even though he buys drinks for everyone?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Within the search for power, Don Juan tells Castaneda he must also be accessible to power, which seems to go against previous lessons in some ways.
Part 1: Why is it important for a person to be accessible to power, according to Don Juan?
Part 2: How does being accessible to power conflict with the idea of being less accessible? Can you have both in your life? Why or why not?
Part 3: What is the purpose of being accessible to power? What are the benefits to Castaneda?
Essay Topic 2
One's personal history is something we are accustomed to thinking about, but Don Juan is insistent that people forget this in order to learn and to grow.
Part 1: How does Don Juan define the idea of a personal history? How does this differ from Castaneda's definition?
Part 2: Why is a personal history important to keep sacred?
Part 3: Why might a personal history get in the way of learning and spiritual growth?
Essay Topic 3
The disappearing car is certainly something that takes Castaneda by surprise and it seems to signal a new chapter in his growth.
Part 1: Why do you think the car's disappearance is important to Castaneda's learning?
Part 2: Do you think the car really disappeared? Why or why not?
Part 3: What do you think the lesson of the disappearing car might have been?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)