|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Castaneda looks at the horizon, he begins to see the _______ of the world that Don Juan and Don Genaro talk about.
2. What does Don Juan collect for the night, though he does not let Castaneda help him?
3. What does Don Genaro do with the string and his hat which amazes Castaneda?
4. What does Castaneda describe as - its eyes are friendly and clear - so he is not afraid of it?
5. When Don Juan tells Castaneda to act normal, he instructs him to __________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the purpose of the trip the men are taking to the mountain range?
2. Why does Don Juan warn Castaneda not to turn around as they leave the Indians they have met?
3. What does Don Juan give to Castaneda, saying they will keep him warm during the night?
4. Why are the town partygoers annoyed with Castaneda, even though he buys drinks for everyone?
5. Why is Castaneda left on the mountain as the other two men walk away into the distance?
6. Why did Don Juan trick Castaneda into confronting La Catalina the month before?
7. What does Don Juan tell Castaneda about his feelings of remorse about his own life?
8. What does a warrior have to do when he is out on the hunt?
9. What does Castaneda say is like a disease to him, which he begins to realize is a problem?
10. What costume does Castaneda see Don Juan as wearing when he and the other men are sitting around the fire?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Most people believe they need to be more accessible than to be less accessible to others, but Don Juan disagrees.
Part 1: Why is it important to be inaccessible to others? What are the benefits?
Part 2: Why is it harmful to be too accessible to others? What are the negatives associated with this practice?
Part 3: What do you think? Do you think accessibility should be restricted? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Between Don Juan and Castaneda is a trust that seems to allow their work to be successful, even when it doesn't appear to do anything.
Part 1: Why do you think Castaneda trusts Don Juan during these lessons?
Part 2: What might happen if Castaneda didn't trust Don Juan or vice versa?
Part 3: Why is trust so important to have between these two men as they work together?
Essay Topic 3
The encounter with the coyote is one that is shocking and thrilling to the reader and to Castaneda in his retelling, it seems.
Part 1: Why was Castaneda sent out to go alone to the mountains until his body tells him to quit?
Part 2: Why is the coyote an important figure or image for Castaneda to see?
Part 3: Is the coyote real or is it a hallucination? Why?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)