|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Don Juan tells Castaneda: "The secret is not in what you do ________________, but rather in what you don't do."
2. Don Juan tells Castaneda that this mood he tends to lapse into is like a _____________.
3. Don Juan tells Castaneda to look without __________ until he sees something before him.
4. As Castaneda's benefactor, it is up to Don Juan to take him to ___________.
5. The two men leave Castaneda on the mountain to decide whether he feels ready to keep his ___________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the town partygoers annoyed with Castaneda, even though he buys drinks for everyone?
2. Why is Castaneda left on the mountain as the other two men walk away into the distance?
3. Why did Don Juan trick Castaneda into confronting La Catalina the month before?
4. Why does Castaneda say that he fears Don Genero when he meets up with him again?
5. What does Don Juan give to Castaneda to wear around his neck?
6. What does Don Genero use to make a kite, confusing Castaneda's perception of how a kite should work?
7. What does Don Juan say about his own death and his interaction with it?
8. Why does Don Juan warn Castaneda not to turn around as they leave the Indians they have met?
9. What does Don Juan tell Castaneda about his feelings of remorse about his own life?
10. What is the purpose of the trip the men are taking to the mountain range?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Death is something which appears in many forms in this book and Don Juan does not shy away from bringing up death in their training together.
Part 1: Why is it important to acknowledge the presence of death in this story?
Part 2: What can a person do when they acknowledge their own ability to die?
Part 3: Why do you think many people are afraid to acknowledge the possibility of death?
Essay Topic 2
The idea of 'not-doing' is one that is foreign to many people as our lives are centered on getting more and more done, it seems.
Part 1: How would you define the idea of 'not-doing' in the modern world?
Part 2: Why is 'not-doing' so important for the work that Don Juan and Castaneda are doing?
Part 3: What might happen if 'not-doing' was not a part of the lessons that Castaneda receives?
Essay Topic 3
Searching for power sounds like a difficult task for anyone to do, but Don Juan leads Castaneda on the quest nonetheless.
Part 1: Why is a search for power important for Castaneda to learn in his studies?
Part 2: Why do you think the search for power is such an unpredictable experience?
Part 3: Do you think Castaneda already has power or does he have to search for it outside of himself? Why did you choose the answer you did?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)