|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Don Juan tells Castaneda that the rocks around him are not rocks, but rather they are _________ that hold him suspended.
2. Don Juan reminds Castaneda of the time he mentally jammed his ___________ so that he could not use it.
3. Don Juan tells Castaneda to work on his _________ as if nothing has happened.
4. When Don Juan and Castaneda go to a certain place of power, it is explained this rock formation is a place where warriors were once __________.
5. Castaneda learns how to do a dance that thumps like a __________ from Don Juan in the evening.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Death is something which appears in many forms in this book and Don Juan does not shy away from bringing up death in their training together.
Part 1: Why is it important to acknowledge the presence of death in this story?
Part 2: What can a person do when they acknowledge their own ability to die?
Part 3: Why do you think many people are afraid to acknowledge the possibility of death?
Essay Topic 2
The different images of Don Juan confuse the men who see him shift from one image to the next as the men relate their stories to each other.
Part 1: What do you think the significance is of each of the costumes that Don Juan seems to wear?
Part 2: Why do you think the image was different for each man?
Part 3: Why do you think Castaneda is convinced that his view was the right one?
Essay Topic 3
The idea of 'not-doing' is one that is foreign to many people as our lives are centered on getting more and more done, it seems.
Part 1: How would you define the idea of 'not-doing' in the modern world?
Part 2: Why is 'not-doing' so important for the work that Don Juan and Castaneda are doing?
Part 3: What might happen if 'not-doing' was not a part of the lessons that Castaneda receives?
This section contains 1,617 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)