|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Don Genaro admit to not being afraid of since he does have allies?
2. Don Juan tells Castaneda to work on his _________ as if nothing has happened.
3. A warrior acts as is if he has a ___________, trusting his personal power, according to Don Juan.
4. What does Castaneda describe as - its eyes are friendly and clear - so he is not afraid of it?
5. Don Juan tells Castaneda that the rocks around him are not rocks, but rather they are _________ that hold him suspended.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Don Juan give to Castaneda, saying they will keep him warm during the night?
2. How does Don Juan say that a good hunter will always know when someone else has been somewhere?
3. Why does Don Juan warn Castaneda not to turn around as they leave the Indians they have met?
4. Why is Castaneda left on the mountain as the other two men walk away into the distance?
5. What does Don Juan tell Castaneda about his feelings of remorse about his own life?
6. What does Don Juan say about his own death and his interaction with it?
7. What does Castaneda say is like a disease to him, which he begins to realize is a problem?
8. Why aren't Don Juan and Castaneda staying the night at the rock conglomerate?
9. What is the yellow formation that Castaneda sees, making him feel slightly ill in the process?
10. What is the lesson that Castaneda learns from the beetle that comes out a hole inches from his face?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The fear that Castaneda must have felt when Don Juan suggested he bury him is understandable.
Part 1: Why do you think Don Juan did not decide to bury Castaneda in the end?
Part 2: Why do you think Don Juan decided to tell Castaneda that he had thought about burying him before? Was this done purposefully?
Part 3: Do you think Don Juan ever had the true intention of burying Castaneda? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Within the search for power, Don Juan tells Castaneda he must also be accessible to power, which seems to go against previous lessons in some ways.
Part 1: Why is it important for a person to be accessible to power, according to Don Juan?
Part 2: How does being accessible to power conflict with the idea of being less accessible? Can you have both in your life? Why or why not?
Part 3: What is the purpose of being accessible to power? What are the benefits to Castaneda?
Essay Topic 3
The idea of routine is one that seems to conflict with the process of hunting. After all, if one can be predictable, they can also be hunted.
Part 1: Why does Don Juan believe that routines are harmful to a person?
Part 2: Why does Castaneda think that routines are a good thing to have in one's life?
Part 3: What do you think? Do you think routines help or hurt people? Support your answer with real life experiences.
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)