|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Don Juan collect for the night, though he does not let Castaneda help him?
2. What does Don Genaro admit to not being afraid of since he does have allies?
3. The place of power is not a ___________, so there are no bones buried there as Castaneda guesses might be.
4. If an ________ does not come, then it means Castaneda is not able to hunt power.
5. Don Juan had planned to __________ Castaneda in the space for a night, but he does not have the power, according to Don Juan.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why aren't Don Juan and Castaneda staying the night at the rock conglomerate?
2. What does Castaneda say is like a disease to him, which he begins to realize is a problem?
3. What is the purpose of the trip the men are taking to the mountain range?
4. What does a warrior have to do when he is out on the hunt?
5. How does Don Juan say that a good hunter will always know when someone else has been somewhere?
6. Why does Don Juan warn Castaneda not to turn around as they leave the Indians they have met?
7. What does Don Genero use to make a kite, confusing Castaneda's perception of how a kite should work?
8. Why are the town partygoers annoyed with Castaneda, even though he buys drinks for everyone?
9. What does Don Juan give to Castaneda to wear around his neck?
10. What does Don Juan give to Castaneda, saying they will keep him warm during the night?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Within the search for power, Don Juan tells Castaneda he must also be accessible to power, which seems to go against previous lessons in some ways.
Part 1: Why is it important for a person to be accessible to power, according to Don Juan?
Part 2: How does being accessible to power conflict with the idea of being less accessible? Can you have both in your life? Why or why not?
Part 3: What is the purpose of being accessible to power? What are the benefits to Castaneda?
Essay Topic 2
The idea of routine is one that seems to conflict with the process of hunting. After all, if one can be predictable, they can also be hunted.
Part 1: Why does Don Juan believe that routines are harmful to a person?
Part 2: Why does Castaneda think that routines are a good thing to have in one's life?
Part 3: What do you think? Do you think routines help or hurt people? Support your answer with real life experiences.
Essay Topic 3
The different images of Don Juan confuse the men who see him shift from one image to the next as the men relate their stories to each other.
Part 1: What do you think the significance is of each of the costumes that Don Juan seems to wear?
Part 2: Why do you think the image was different for each man?
Part 3: Why do you think Castaneda is convinced that his view was the right one?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)