|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Don Juan and Castaneda are together again, Castaneda inquires as to whether death is a ____________.
2. Don Juan tells Castaneda to concentrate on specific _____________ in order to be successful in his dream work.
3. Castaneda admits that the __________ is only real when he is with Don Juan.
4. What are Don Juan and Castaneda going to search for when they drive off to the mountains?
5. Each person is born with a _________ of power and each is linked to everyone else's.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Castaneda say that he fears Don Genero when he meets up with him again?
2. How does Don Juan say that a good hunter will always know when someone else has been somewhere?
3. What does Don Juan say when Castaneda asks him how old he is, as he sees him moving with agility?
4. What costume does Castaneda see Don Juan as wearing when he and the other men are sitting around the fire?
5. What does Don Juan give to Castaneda, saying they will keep him warm during the night?
6. What is the purpose of the trip the men are taking to the mountain range?
7. What does Don Juan say about his own death and his interaction with it?
8. What does Castaneda say is like a disease to him, which he begins to realize is a problem?
9. Why does Don Juan warn Castaneda not to turn around as they leave the Indians they have met?
10. What is the yellow formation that Castaneda sees, making him feel slightly ill in the process?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The idea of routine is one that seems to conflict with the process of hunting. After all, if one can be predictable, they can also be hunted.
Part 1: Why does Don Juan believe that routines are harmful to a person?
Part 2: Why does Castaneda think that routines are a good thing to have in one's life?
Part 3: What do you think? Do you think routines help or hurt people? Support your answer with real life experiences.
Essay Topic 2
The decision to meet with Don Juan is one that Castaneda does not make lightly. At the same time, it seems to be a decision he doesn't quite think through.
Part 1: Why do you think Castaneda choose Don Juan to work with in his book?
Part 2: Do you think Don Juan believes Castaneda to be a worthy student? Why or why not?
Part 3: What might Castaneda have done differently if he were to be able to redo his first meeting with Don Juan?
Essay Topic 3
The idea of 'not-doing' is one that is foreign to many people as our lives are centered on getting more and more done, it seems.
Part 1: How would you define the idea of 'not-doing' in the modern world?
Part 2: Why is 'not-doing' so important for the work that Don Juan and Castaneda are doing?
Part 3: What might happen if 'not-doing' was not a part of the lessons that Castaneda receives?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)