|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Don Juan tell Castaneda to use in order to relieve his muscles?
2. Don Juan uses a rock to show the idea of not-doing. "To look at it is ___________ but to see is __________."
3. Personal power is a ____________, or a mood, according to Don Juan, even though Castaneda does not understand this.
4. Castaneda admits that the __________ is only real when he is with Don Juan.
5. Don Juan tells Castaneda that the rocks around him are not rocks, but rather they are _________ that hold him suspended.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Castaneda left on the mountain as the other two men walk away into the distance?
2. What does Don Juan tell Castaneda about his feelings of remorse about his own life?
3. What does Castaneda say is like a disease to him, which he begins to realize is a problem?
4. What is the lesson that Castaneda learns from the beetle that comes out a hole inches from his face?
5. Why does Castaneda say that he fears Don Genero when he meets up with him again?
6. What is the purpose of the trip the men are taking to the mountain range?
7. How does Don Juan say that a good hunter will always know when someone else has been somewhere?
8. What is the yellow formation that Castaneda sees, making him feel slightly ill in the process?
9. What does Don Juan give to Castaneda, saying they will keep him warm during the night?
10. Why are the town partygoers annoyed with Castaneda, even though he buys drinks for everyone?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Death is something which appears in many forms in this book and Don Juan does not shy away from bringing up death in their training together.
Part 1: Why is it important to acknowledge the presence of death in this story?
Part 2: What can a person do when they acknowledge their own ability to die?
Part 3: Why do you think many people are afraid to acknowledge the possibility of death?
Essay Topic 2
The idea of 'not-doing' is one that is foreign to many people as our lives are centered on getting more and more done, it seems.
Part 1: How would you define the idea of 'not-doing' in the modern world?
Part 2: Why is 'not-doing' so important for the work that Don Juan and Castaneda are doing?
Part 3: What might happen if 'not-doing' was not a part of the lessons that Castaneda receives?
Essay Topic 3
The idea of routine is one that seems to conflict with the process of hunting. After all, if one can be predictable, they can also be hunted.
Part 1: Why does Don Juan believe that routines are harmful to a person?
Part 2: Why does Castaneda think that routines are a good thing to have in one's life?
Part 3: What do you think? Do you think routines help or hurt people? Support your answer with real life experiences.
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)