|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Castaneda's attempts to stop _________ with Don Genaro were disastrous, according to Castaneda.
2. Castaneda admits that the __________ is only real when he is with Don Juan.
3. When Don Juan tells Castaneda to act normal, he instructs him to __________.
4. What is the outfit Castaneda sees Don Juan wear when he reemerges from his hiding place?
5. What does Don Juan tell Castaneda to use in order to relieve his muscles?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Don Juan trick Castaneda into confronting La Catalina the month before?
2. Why does Don Juan warn Castaneda not to turn around as they leave the Indians they have met?
3. Why does Castaneda say that he fears Don Genero when he meets up with him again?
4. Why are the town partygoers annoyed with Castaneda, even though he buys drinks for everyone?
5. How does Don Juan say that a good hunter will always know when someone else has been somewhere?
6. What does Don Juan give to Castaneda to wear around his neck?
7. What does Castaneda say is like a disease to him, which he begins to realize is a problem?
8. What does a warrior have to do when he is out on the hunt?
9. Why aren't Don Juan and Castaneda staying the night at the rock conglomerate?
10. What does Don Juan say when Castaneda asks him how old he is, as he sees him moving with agility?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Don Genero talks to Castenada about being ready to tackle one's ally, which causes Castaneda to seriously consider whether he is ready for that challenge.
Part 1: Why do you think Don Genero told this story to Castaneda?
Part 2: Why doesn't Castaneda feel like he is ready to continue his learning?
Part 3: Why is is important to battle one's own ally? What will it provide to the warrior?
Essay Topic 2
The idea of routine is one that seems to conflict with the process of hunting. After all, if one can be predictable, they can also be hunted.
Part 1: Why does Don Juan believe that routines are harmful to a person?
Part 2: Why does Castaneda think that routines are a good thing to have in one's life?
Part 3: What do you think? Do you think routines help or hurt people? Support your answer with real life experiences.
Essay Topic 3
One's personal history is something we are accustomed to thinking about, but Don Juan is insistent that people forget this in order to learn and to grow.
Part 1: How does Don Juan define the idea of a personal history? How does this differ from Castaneda's definition?
Part 2: Why is a personal history important to keep sacred?
Part 3: Why might a personal history get in the way of learning and spiritual growth?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)