|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Don Juan tells Castaneda: "The secret is not in what you do ________________, but rather in what you don't do."
2. What kinds of motions does Don Genaro make on the floor which seem to defy nature?
3. If an ________ does not come, then it means Castaneda is not able to hunt power.
4. Don Juan yells at Castaneda who feels strange, as though something is about to ____________.
5. Don Juan says the Castaneda reminds him of himself - he did not want to be a _____________ either.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Don Juan say that a good hunter will always know when someone else has been somewhere?
2. What does Don Juan give to Castaneda, saying they will keep him warm during the night?
3. What does Don Juan tell Castaneda about his feelings of remorse about his own life?
4. Why does Castaneda say that he fears Don Genero when he meets up with him again?
5. What needs to happen in order for Don Juan to know Castaneda is ready to hunt power?
6. What is the purpose of the trip the men are taking to the mountain range?
7. What does Don Juan say when Castaneda asks him how old he is, as he sees him moving with agility?
8. What is the yellow formation that Castaneda sees, making him feel slightly ill in the process?
9. What does Don Juan give to Castaneda to wear around his neck?
10. What does Don Juan say about his own death and his interaction with it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The fear that Castaneda must have felt when Don Juan suggested he bury him is understandable.
Part 1: Why do you think Don Juan did not decide to bury Castaneda in the end?
Part 2: Why do you think Don Juan decided to tell Castaneda that he had thought about burying him before? Was this done purposefully?
Part 3: Do you think Don Juan ever had the true intention of burying Castaneda? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Assuming responsibility seems to be one of the first steps a person must take in the journey to self power and self awareness.
Part 1: Why is responsibility important to assume in one's life?
Part 2: Why is it important for Castaneda to learn more about responsibility?
Part 3: What might happen if Castaneda never assumed responsibility?
Essay Topic 3
The decision to meet with Don Juan is one that Castaneda does not make lightly. At the same time, it seems to be a decision he doesn't quite think through.
Part 1: Why do you think Castaneda choose Don Juan to work with in his book?
Part 2: Do you think Don Juan believes Castaneda to be a worthy student? Why or why not?
Part 3: What might Castaneda have done differently if he were to be able to redo his first meeting with Don Juan?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)