|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Castaneda looks at the horizon, he begins to see the _______ of the world that Don Juan and Don Genaro talk about.
2. The two men leave Castaneda on the mountain to decide whether he feels ready to keep his ___________.
3. What does Don Juan give to Castaneda to help him stay warm during the night, even though he has no blanket?
4. Needing explanations is like a ___________ to Castaneda, according to Don Juan's observations.
5. What kinds of motions does Don Genaro make on the floor which seem to defy nature?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does a warrior have to do when he is out on the hunt?
2. What does Don Juan say about his own death and his interaction with it?
3. Why does Don Juan warn Castaneda not to turn around as they leave the Indians they have met?
4. Why does Castaneda say that he fears Don Genero when he meets up with him again?
5. What does Don Juan give to Castaneda to wear around his neck?
6. What is the yellow formation that Castaneda sees, making him feel slightly ill in the process?
7. What does Don Juan give to Castaneda, saying they will keep him warm during the night?
8. Why did Don Juan trick Castaneda into confronting La Catalina the month before?
9. Why are the town partygoers annoyed with Castaneda, even though he buys drinks for everyone?
10. What does Don Genero use to make a kite, confusing Castaneda's perception of how a kite should work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Within the search for power, Don Juan tells Castaneda he must also be accessible to power, which seems to go against previous lessons in some ways.
Part 1: Why is it important for a person to be accessible to power, according to Don Juan?
Part 2: How does being accessible to power conflict with the idea of being less accessible? Can you have both in your life? Why or why not?
Part 3: What is the purpose of being accessible to power? What are the benefits to Castaneda?
Essay Topic 2
The fear that Castaneda must have felt when Don Juan suggested he bury him is understandable.
Part 1: Why do you think Don Juan did not decide to bury Castaneda in the end?
Part 2: Why do you think Don Juan decided to tell Castaneda that he had thought about burying him before? Was this done purposefully?
Part 3: Do you think Don Juan ever had the true intention of burying Castaneda? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The encounter with the coyote is one that is shocking and thrilling to the reader and to Castaneda in his retelling, it seems.
Part 1: Why was Castaneda sent out to go alone to the mountains until his body tells him to quit?
Part 2: Why is the coyote an important figure or image for Castaneda to see?
Part 3: Is the coyote real or is it a hallucination? Why?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)