|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Don Juan says they must wait for an omen to know what to do with the ____________ who is interfering with Castaneda.
2. Castaneda tells the creature that they are there to ______________ the world
3. What kind of bed does Don Juan prepare for Castaneda when they are trying to prevent illness in Castaneda?
4. Don Juan had planned to __________ Castaneda in the space for a night, but he does not have the power, according to Don Juan.
5. Where do the four Indians and Castaneda gather around when they meet up in the border town?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Castaneda say that he fears Don Genero when he meets up with him again?
2. Why are the town partygoers annoyed with Castaneda, even though he buys drinks for everyone?
3. What does Don Juan tell Castaneda about his feelings of remorse about his own life?
4. How does Don Juan say that a good hunter will always know when someone else has been somewhere?
5. What does Castaneda say is like a disease to him, which he begins to realize is a problem?
6. What does Don Juan give to Castaneda to wear around his neck?
7. Why does Don Juan warn Castaneda not to turn around as they leave the Indians they have met?
8. What does Don Juan give to Castaneda, saying they will keep him warm during the night?
9. What needs to happen in order for Don Juan to know Castaneda is ready to hunt power?
10. What is the lesson that Castaneda learns from the beetle that comes out a hole inches from his face?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Most people believe they need to be more accessible than to be less accessible to others, but Don Juan disagrees.
Part 1: Why is it important to be inaccessible to others? What are the benefits?
Part 2: Why is it harmful to be too accessible to others? What are the negatives associated with this practice?
Part 3: What do you think? Do you think accessibility should be restricted? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Death is something which appears in many forms in this book and Don Juan does not shy away from bringing up death in their training together.
Part 1: Why is it important to acknowledge the presence of death in this story?
Part 2: What can a person do when they acknowledge their own ability to die?
Part 3: Why do you think many people are afraid to acknowledge the possibility of death?
Essay Topic 3
The idea of 'not-doing' is one that is foreign to many people as our lives are centered on getting more and more done, it seems.
Part 1: How would you define the idea of 'not-doing' in the modern world?
Part 2: Why is 'not-doing' so important for the work that Don Juan and Castaneda are doing?
Part 3: What might happen if 'not-doing' was not a part of the lessons that Castaneda receives?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)