|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The jolt of tackling one's ally is so strong that Castaneda needs to be sure to keep his __________ closed.
2. What does Don Genaro do with the string and his hat which amazes Castaneda?
3. What does Don Juan give to Castaneda to help him stay warm during the night, even though he has no blanket?
4. Don Juan warns Castaneda not to turn around after embracing the Indians because they are ________________.
5. The two men leave Castaneda on the mountain to decide whether he feels ready to keep his ___________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Don Juan trick Castaneda into confronting La Catalina the month before?
2. What does Don Genero use to make a kite, confusing Castaneda's perception of how a kite should work?
3. What is the lesson that Castaneda learns from the beetle that comes out a hole inches from his face?
4. What does Don Juan give to Castaneda, saying they will keep him warm during the night?
5. Why is Castaneda left on the mountain as the other two men walk away into the distance?
6. Why does Castaneda say that he fears Don Genero when he meets up with him again?
7. Why are the town partygoers annoyed with Castaneda, even though he buys drinks for everyone?
8. What does Castaneda say is like a disease to him, which he begins to realize is a problem?
9. What costume does Castaneda see Don Juan as wearing when he and the other men are sitting around the fire?
10. Why aren't Don Juan and Castaneda staying the night at the rock conglomerate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Assuming responsibility seems to be one of the first steps a person must take in the journey to self power and self awareness.
Part 1: Why is responsibility important to assume in one's life?
Part 2: Why is it important for Castaneda to learn more about responsibility?
Part 3: What might happen if Castaneda never assumed responsibility?
Essay Topic 2
A battle between someone who is good and someone who is bad is nothing new to stories of spirituality. La Catalina is certainly someone to fear, it seems.
Part 1: Why would La Catalina want to find out more about Castaneda or fight him?
Part 2: Do you think La Catalina is really following Castaneda or is this another test from Don Juan? Why or why not?
Part 3: What do the attacks by La Catalina signify in Castaneda's training?
Essay Topic 3
The decision to meet with Don Juan is one that Castaneda does not make lightly. At the same time, it seems to be a decision he doesn't quite think through.
Part 1: Why do you think Castaneda choose Don Juan to work with in his book?
Part 2: Do you think Don Juan believes Castaneda to be a worthy student? Why or why not?
Part 3: What might Castaneda have done differently if he were to be able to redo his first meeting with Don Juan?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)