|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Don Juan and Castaneda are together again, Castaneda inquires as to whether death is a ____________.
2. But when Castaneda gets an explanation of the rings of power, he only wanted to get an explanation for ____________.
3. What does Don Genaro do with the string and his hat which amazes Castaneda?
4. What does Don Juan want Castaneda to move his eyes back and forth along?
5. Don Juan uses a rock to show the idea of not-doing. "To look at it is ___________ but to see is __________."
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Don Juan give to Castaneda to wear around his neck?
2. Why are the town partygoers annoyed with Castaneda, even though he buys drinks for everyone?
3. Why does Don Juan warn Castaneda not to turn around as they leave the Indians they have met?
4. Why aren't Don Juan and Castaneda staying the night at the rock conglomerate?
5. What is the lesson that Castaneda learns from the beetle that comes out a hole inches from his face?
6. What does a warrior have to do when he is out on the hunt?
7. What does Don Genero use to make a kite, confusing Castaneda's perception of how a kite should work?
8. Why does Castaneda say that he fears Don Genero when he meets up with him again?
9. What costume does Castaneda see Don Juan as wearing when he and the other men are sitting around the fire?
10. What does Don Juan give to Castaneda, saying they will keep him warm during the night?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The idea of routine is one that seems to conflict with the process of hunting. After all, if one can be predictable, they can also be hunted.
Part 1: Why does Don Juan believe that routines are harmful to a person?
Part 2: Why does Castaneda think that routines are a good thing to have in one's life?
Part 3: What do you think? Do you think routines help or hurt people? Support your answer with real life experiences.
Essay Topic 2
The idea of 'not-doing' is one that is foreign to many people as our lives are centered on getting more and more done, it seems.
Part 1: How would you define the idea of 'not-doing' in the modern world?
Part 2: Why is 'not-doing' so important for the work that Don Juan and Castaneda are doing?
Part 3: What might happen if 'not-doing' was not a part of the lessons that Castaneda receives?
Essay Topic 3
Don Genero talks to Castenada about being ready to tackle one's ally, which causes Castaneda to seriously consider whether he is ready for that challenge.
Part 1: Why do you think Don Genero told this story to Castaneda?
Part 2: Why doesn't Castaneda feel like he is ready to continue his learning?
Part 3: Why is is important to battle one's own ally? What will it provide to the warrior?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)