|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Don Juan and Castaneda going to search for when they drive off to the mountains?
2. Don Juan tells Castaneda that the rocks around him are not rocks, but rather they are _________ that hold him suspended.
3. What kinds of motions does Don Genaro make on the floor which seem to defy nature?
4. Don Juan tells Castaneda: "The secret is not in what you do ________________, but rather in what you don't do."
5. Don Juan admits he has seen his own death watching him and has danced to it as though he was __________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What needs to happen in order for Don Juan to know Castaneda is ready to hunt power?
2. What is the yellow formation that Castaneda sees, making him feel slightly ill in the process?
3. Why did Don Juan trick Castaneda into confronting La Catalina the month before?
4. What does Castaneda say is like a disease to him, which he begins to realize is a problem?
5. What is the lesson that Castaneda learns from the beetle that comes out a hole inches from his face?
6. What is the purpose of the trip the men are taking to the mountain range?
7. How does Don Juan say that a good hunter will always know when someone else has been somewhere?
8. Why does Castaneda say that he fears Don Genero when he meets up with him again?
9. What does Don Juan give to Castaneda to wear around his neck?
10. What does a warrior have to do when he is out on the hunt?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One's personal history is something we are accustomed to thinking about, but Don Juan is insistent that people forget this in order to learn and to grow.
Part 1: How does Don Juan define the idea of a personal history? How does this differ from Castaneda's definition?
Part 2: Why is a personal history important to keep sacred?
Part 3: Why might a personal history get in the way of learning and spiritual growth?
Essay Topic 2
The fear that Castaneda must have felt when Don Juan suggested he bury him is understandable.
Part 1: Why do you think Don Juan did not decide to bury Castaneda in the end?
Part 2: Why do you think Don Juan decided to tell Castaneda that he had thought about burying him before? Was this done purposefully?
Part 3: Do you think Don Juan ever had the true intention of burying Castaneda? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The idea of routine is one that seems to conflict with the process of hunting. After all, if one can be predictable, they can also be hunted.
Part 1: Why does Don Juan believe that routines are harmful to a person?
Part 2: Why does Castaneda think that routines are a good thing to have in one's life?
Part 3: What do you think? Do you think routines help or hurt people? Support your answer with real life experiences.
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)