|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Don Genaro tells Castaneda of his encounter tackling his __________, a long time ago, it seems.
2. What does Don Juan collect for the night, though he does not let Castaneda help him?
3. What does Castaneda ask when Don Genaro tells him he was directed to go to Ixtlan?
4. Castaneda learns how to do a dance that thumps like a __________ from Don Juan in the evening.
5. What makes Castaneda and the item from #170 the same - Our __________ made us equal.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Don Juan trick Castaneda into confronting La Catalina the month before?
2. What does Don Juan give to Castaneda, saying they will keep him warm during the night?
3. Why aren't Don Juan and Castaneda staying the night at the rock conglomerate?
4. What does a warrior have to do when he is out on the hunt?
5. Why does Castaneda say that he fears Don Genero when he meets up with him again?
6. What does Castaneda say is like a disease to him, which he begins to realize is a problem?
7. What does Don Juan tell Castaneda about his feelings of remorse about his own life?
8. What is the lesson that Castaneda learns from the beetle that comes out a hole inches from his face?
9. What does Don Juan give to Castaneda to wear around his neck?
10. What is the purpose of the trip the men are taking to the mountain range?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Don Juan is insistent that Castaneda must not want change because he doesn't seem to be changing much between their meetings.
Part 1: Why is it important to Don Juan that he see change in Castaneda?
Part 2: Do you think Castaneda really wants to change himself? Why or why not?
Part 3: Can a person avoid changing? Why or why not? Isn't change just a natural process that doesn't need to be instigated? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The idea of 'not-doing' is one that is foreign to many people as our lives are centered on getting more and more done, it seems.
Part 1: How would you define the idea of 'not-doing' in the modern world?
Part 2: Why is 'not-doing' so important for the work that Don Juan and Castaneda are doing?
Part 3: What might happen if 'not-doing' was not a part of the lessons that Castaneda receives?
Essay Topic 3
Death is something which appears in many forms in this book and Don Juan does not shy away from bringing up death in their training together.
Part 1: Why is it important to acknowledge the presence of death in this story?
Part 2: What can a person do when they acknowledge their own ability to die?
Part 3: Why do you think many people are afraid to acknowledge the possibility of death?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)