|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Don Juan tells Castaneda to work on his _________ as if nothing has happened.
2. Where does Don Juan go as the men are talking to each other around the gathering place?
3. As Castaneda's benefactor, it is up to Don Juan to take him to ___________.
4. The two men leave Castaneda on the mountain to decide whether he feels ready to keep his ___________.
5. As Castaneda looks at the horizon, he begins to see the _______ of the world that Don Juan and Don Genaro talk about.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Don Juan tell Castaneda about his feelings of remorse about his own life?
2. What needs to happen in order for Don Juan to know Castaneda is ready to hunt power?
3. What does Don Genero use to make a kite, confusing Castaneda's perception of how a kite should work?
4. Why is Castaneda left on the mountain as the other two men walk away into the distance?
5. What is the yellow formation that Castaneda sees, making him feel slightly ill in the process?
6. Why does Castaneda say that he fears Don Genero when he meets up with him again?
7. Why are the town partygoers annoyed with Castaneda, even though he buys drinks for everyone?
8. What costume does Castaneda see Don Juan as wearing when he and the other men are sitting around the fire?
9. How does Don Juan say that a good hunter will always know when someone else has been somewhere?
10. What does Castaneda say is like a disease to him, which he begins to realize is a problem?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The idea of routine is one that seems to conflict with the process of hunting. After all, if one can be predictable, they can also be hunted.
Part 1: Why does Don Juan believe that routines are harmful to a person?
Part 2: Why does Castaneda think that routines are a good thing to have in one's life?
Part 3: What do you think? Do you think routines help or hurt people? Support your answer with real life experiences.
Essay Topic 2
A battle between someone who is good and someone who is bad is nothing new to stories of spirituality. La Catalina is certainly someone to fear, it seems.
Part 1: Why would La Catalina want to find out more about Castaneda or fight him?
Part 2: Do you think La Catalina is really following Castaneda or is this another test from Don Juan? Why or why not?
Part 3: What do the attacks by La Catalina signify in Castaneda's training?
Essay Topic 3
One's personal history is something we are accustomed to thinking about, but Don Juan is insistent that people forget this in order to learn and to grow.
Part 1: How does Don Juan define the idea of a personal history? How does this differ from Castaneda's definition?
Part 2: Why is a personal history important to keep sacred?
Part 3: Why might a personal history get in the way of learning and spiritual growth?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)