Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the person that Castaneda stays with when Don Juan goes off to do an errand?
2. Don Juan tells Castaneda: "The secret is not in what you do ________________, but rather in what you don't do."
3. Don Juan says that the storing of _________ is a personal thing that he cannot define or explain.
4. What is the yellow mass that Castaneda is told to stare at when he and Don Juan go to the desert?
5. The two men leave Castaneda on the mountain to decide whether he feels ready to keep his ___________.
Essay Topic 1
The encounter with the coyote is one that is shocking and thrilling to the reader and to Castaneda in his retelling, it seems.
Part 1: Why was Castaneda sent out to go alone to the mountains until his body tells him to quit?
Part 2: Why is the coyote an important figure or image for Castaneda to see?
Part 3: Is the coyote real or is it a hallucination? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Death is something which appears in many forms in this book and Don Juan does not shy away from bringing up death in their training together.
Part 1: Why is it important to acknowledge the presence of death in this story?
Part 2: What can a person do when they acknowledge their own ability to die?
Part 3: Why do you think many people are afraid to acknowledge the possibility of death?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout this story are various omens that are meant to show Castaneda things about himself.
Part 1: Why are omens important in this story?
Part 2: Which omen is most important to Castaneda's learning? Why?
Part 3: Why do you think the crow continues to show up for Castaneda in this book?
This section contains 313 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)