|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Don Juan tell Castaneda to use in order to relieve his muscles?
2. What are Don Juan and Castaneda going to search for when they drive off to the mountains?
3. Don Juan warns Castaneda not to turn around after embracing the Indians because they are ________________.
4. Don Juan tells Castaneda: "The secret is not in what you do ________________, but rather in what you don't do."
5. As Castaneda might become deathly ill, they must go to his place of ____________ to be cleansed and restored.
Essay Topic 1
The disappearing car is certainly something that takes Castaneda by surprise and it seems to signal a new chapter in his growth.
Part 1: Why do you think the car's disappearance is important to Castaneda's learning?
Part 2: Do you think the car really disappeared? Why or why not?
Part 3: What do you think the lesson of the disappearing car might have been?
Essay Topic 2
Death is something which appears in many forms in this book and Don Juan does not shy away from bringing up death in their training together.
Part 1: Why is it important to acknowledge the presence of death in this story?
Part 2: What can a person do when they acknowledge their own ability to die?
Part 3: Why do you think many people are afraid to acknowledge the possibility of death?
Essay Topic 3
The different images of Don Juan confuse the men who see him shift from one image to the next as the men relate their stories to each other.
Part 1: What do you think the significance is of each of the costumes that Don Juan seems to wear?
Part 2: Why do you think the image was different for each man?
Part 3: Why do you think Castaneda is convinced that his view was the right one?
This section contains 1,614 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)