Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To how many decimal places did Newton determine the number for pi?
2. What did Cantor find after extending the continuum between 0 and 1 into two dimensions?
3. What did Gauss do with his best work?
4. Which of the following did Dunham concentrate on as one of Newton's great advances?
5. What was described as true about the series 1 + 1/2 + 1/6 + 1/10 + 1/15 + 1/21?
Summarize the puzzles that were presented as a result of Euclid's infinitude of primes. Name and describe some of these puzzles from a historical perspective, then explain what is known about each in modern mathematics. What puzzles remain unsolved today?
In Dunham's book, there were many descriptions of mathematicians and their personal lives. Write an essay to describe the common elements or characteristics that seem to be shared among these historically famous mathematicians. Also, explain what personal characteristics made them all excellent mathematicians.
In all of the great theorems presented in Dunham's book, which theorem do you think made the most impact on the history of mathematics? Write an essay to defend your opinion with reference to Dunham's descriptions and conclusions.
This section contains 270 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)