|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is a quote from Bertrand Russell included by Dunham?
(a) "Mathematics, rightly viewed, posses not only truth, but supreme beauty."
(b) "Matematicians are the gatekeepers of knowledge."
(c) "Mathematics is truth."
(d) "The study of mathematics is the study of the universe."
2. What was aleph naught?
(a) A method to determine the sum of a series.
(b) A method to numerate terms.
(c) A symbol to state the sum of a series.
(d) A symbol to represent the number of items in a set.
3. What didn't Euler attempt?
(a) A series starting with the number 1.
(b) A series of sequencially smaller terms.
(c) A series where exponents are even.
(d) A series where exponents are odd.
4. Where did Newton go to school before he went to Cambridge?
(a) Oxford Grammar School.
(b) The King's School.
(c) Charles II Grammar School.
(d) Cambridge Prep.
5. What did Gauss do with his best work?
(a) He published it.
(b) He did not publish it.
(c) He gave it to his students.
(d) He gave it to his son to publish.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did George Cantor discover?
2. What was most noticeable about Euler at a young age?
3. What did British scholars accuse Leibniz of?
4. Which of the following did Dunham concentrate on as one of Newton's great advances?
5. What did Dunham describe as the same between artistic movements and mathematical studies in the 19th century?
This section contains 325 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)