|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is a quote from Bertrand Russell included by Dunham?
(a) "Mathematics is truth."
(b) "The study of mathematics is the study of the universe."
(c) "Matematicians are the gatekeepers of knowledge."
(d) "Mathematics, rightly viewed, posses not only truth, but supreme beauty."
2. What did Cantor struggle with later in his life?
(d) Mental illness.
3. What did Dunham describe as the same between artistic movements and mathematical studies in the 19th century?
(a) They are both focused on realism.
(b) They are both fascinated on artificial images, such as photography.
(c) They are both becoming less abstract.
(d) They are both less concern with reality.
4. What did British scholars accuse Leibniz of?
(a) Stealing Newton's Binomial theorem.
(b) Plagiarizing Newton's calculus method.
(c) Conspiring the death of Newton.
(d) Publishing Newton's work without his approval.
5. Which of the following is a series that the Bernoullis proposed did not converge on a finite sum?
(a) 1 + 1/2 + 3/4 + 4/5 . . .
(b) 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5. . .
(c) 1 + 1/2 + 1/3 + 1/4 + 1/5 . . . 1/1000 . . .
(d) 1 + 1/2 + 1/6 + 1/10 + 1/15 . . .
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Euler born?
2. What hindered Euler's work as he grew older?
3. In his later life, what position did Isaac Newton hold?
4. Which word best describes Newton's childhood?
5. What did Dunham describe as lacking from calculus previous to the mid-19th century?
This section contains 256 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)