|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following was NOT true about Archimedes, according to Dunham?
(a) He died during the fall of Syracuse.
(b) He died as a soldier.
(c) His death was described as being by the hands of a Roman invader.
(d) Archimedes died because he refused to follow orders until he completed a math problem.
2. How many definitions were stated in Elements?
3. How did Archimedes demonstrate his theory of pi?
(a) He demonstrated that the area of the circle is always greater than the area of the triangle.
(b) He demonstrated that the area of the circle is never less than the area of the triangle.
(c) He demonstrated that the area of the circle is never equal to the area of the triangle.
(d) He demonstrated that the area of the circle is neither greater than nor less than the area of the triangle and therefore must be equal to it.
4. Heron's work referred to the work of what other famous scholar?
5. What did Plato use his inspiration from Euclid for?
(a) To construct his theory on the shape of the Universe.
(b) To create a new theorem of algebra.
(c) To prove Euclid's number theory was incorrect.
(d) To classify geometric shapes by their complexity.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Hippocrates, what shape did the Greeks attempt to square without success?
2. What range of values did Archimedes determine for pi?
3. Numbers whose divisor add up to itself, was considered which type of number according to Euclid?
4. Which of the following is INCORRECT, and not used in Archimedes proof of his theory?
5. What shape was NOT demonstrated in the Elements as having a relationship to other shapes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Dunham describe in the epilogue of the chapter?
2. Describe the events that follow del Ferro's death between Fior and Tartaglia.
3. Explain when the knowledge of ancient scholars was rediscovered.
4. What did Dunham claim was Pythagoras's major contribution to geometry, and mathematical reasoning?
5. Describe Euclid's definition of prime numbers and the relationship he stated as existing between prime and composite numbers.
6. Describe who was Archimedes and how Dunham described his character.
7. Explain what Archimedes went on to study after the circle, and what was Dunham's opinion of this work.
8. Explain why Archimedes finding a number value for pi was considered a great achievement according to Dunham.
9. Who was Luca Pacioli, and what controversy was sparked over his writings?
10. Describe what Gauss discovered according to Dunham.
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)