|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following best describes Cardano's character?
2. Who wrote a treatise that supposed that cubic equations may be impossible to solve?
(a) Gerolamo Cardano.
(b) Scipione del Ferro.
(c) Niccolo Fontana.
(d) Luca Pacioli.
3. How many sides did the pentadecagon have, as presented by Euclid?
4. Which of the following were an example of twin primes?
(a) 2 and 6.
(b) 19 and 22.
(c) 11 and 13.
(d) 15 and 16.
5. Who acted as the gate keepers of knowledge?
(a) Greek tradesman.
(b) Arabian scholars.
(c) Greek philosophers.
(d) Roman emporers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Archimedes manage to prove using Euclid's ideas?
2. Heron's work referred to the work of what other famous scholar?
3. What is the name for determining the area of an enclosed space by constructing a square of equivalent area?
4. Where was Archimedes born?
5. Which mathematician was first to take the challenge to solve cubic equations?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain who was Gerolamo Cardano, and how did he become involved with the solution to the cubic.
2. Describe what work of Euclid's fascinated Plato and his theory on the shape of the Universe.
3. What did Dunham explain about the shift in learning from the West to the East?
4. Who was Luca Pacioli, and what controversy was sparked over his writings?
5. Describe what the Egyptians knew about geometry and triangles before Hippocrates.
6. Describe the contents of Cardano's book.
7. Describe Lindeman's work on the square of a circle, and state what he discovered.
8. Describe in two sentences Archimedes's method for determining circular area.
9. What did Dunham claim was Pythagoras's major contribution to geometry, and mathematical reasoning?
10. Describe the ancient city Alexandria and name a few of its third century geniuses.
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)