Short Answer Key
Hippocrates' Quadrature of the Lune
1. Which is a geometric concept that humans have been aware of since the dawn of agriculture?
2. That properties of specific shapes were early Egyptians aware of?
3. Who was the first of ancient philosophers to consider why geometric properties existed?
4. What does the Pythagorean Theorem state?
For any right triangle the square of the diagonal side is equal to the sum of the squares of the two legs.
5. What did the Pythagorean Theorem accomplish for mathematics?
The concept of providing a logical proof.
6. Where did Hippocrates come from?
7. What did Hippocrates do that advanced mathematical methods?
He built theorems based on sequencially more complex proofs.
8. How do we know about Hippocrates proofs and theorems?
What we know is from references of later mathematicians.
9. What was Hippocrates famous for?
This section contains 2,853 words|
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)