|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Cantor and the Transfinite Realm.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What series was Euler most famous for?
(a) 1 + 1/2³ + 1/3³ + 1/4³ . . . 1/k³ . . .
(b) 1 + 1/2 + 1/6 + 1/10 + 1/15 . . .
(c) 1 + 1/2 + 3/4 + 4/5 . . .
(d) 1 + 1/4 + 1/9 + 1/16 . . . + 1/k² . . .
2. Which city was the center of thinking and learning in Third century BC?
3. Where was Archimedes born?
4. Where was Euler born?
5. Which of the following is a quote from Bertrand Russell included by Dunham?
(a) "The study of mathematics is the study of the universe."
(b) "Mathematics, rightly viewed, posses not only truth, but supreme beauty."
(c) "Mathematics is truth."
(d) "Matematicians are the gatekeepers of knowledge."
Short Answer Questions
1. "Straight lines in the same plane that will never meet if extended forever" is a definition of what?
2. What was similar about both Euler and Gauss as children?
3. How many sides did the pentadecagon have, as presented by Euclid?
4. Which of the following is not denumerable, proven by Cantor's theorem?
5. Which words best describe how solid proofs were developed in Elements?
This section contains 217 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)