|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Cantor and the Transfinite Realm.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did most of 19th century mathematics focus on, as highlighted by Dunham?
(a) The theoretical.
(b) The immediately practical.
2. Who else, besides Newton, independently discovered a calculus method?
(a) Gottfried Leibniz.
(b) John Napier.
(c) Isaac Barrow.
(d) Pierre de Fermat.
3. What did Gauss set out to prove?
(a) That Euclid's postulate on straight lines was incorrect.
(b) That the sum of the angles in a triangle is 180 degrees.
(c) That a circle can have less than 360 degrees.
(d) That a right angle is always equal to 90 degrees.
4. Numbers whose divisor add up to itself, was considered which type of number according to Euclid?
(a) Perfect number.
(b) Nominal number.
(c) Even number.
(d) Composite number.
5. How many definitions were stated in Elements?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following demonstrates the successive squared denominator series?
2. What is the name for determining the area of an enclosed space by constructing a square of equivalent area?
3. How many sides did the pentadecagon have, as presented by Euclid?
4. In what time period did mathematicians find a solution to cubic equations?
5. Which of the following best describes Archimedes as discussed by Dunham?
This section contains 206 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)