|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Cantor and the Transfinite Realm.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which is one of the common notions presented in Elements?
(a) "The inverse of a line makes a circle."
(b) "Things which are equal to the same thing are also equal to each other."
(c) "Things with are equal have an inverse that is equal."
(d) "Points with equal values can be connected with a line of equal value."
2. Which of the following is an example of a perfect number?
3. Which of the following did Dunham concentrate on as one of Newton's great advances?
(a) Quadratic equation.
(b) Area of a sphere.
(c) Quintic theorem.
(d) Binomial theorem.
4. In what time period did mathematicians find a solution to cubic equations?
(a) Fifteen century.
(b) Seventeeth century.
(c) Thirteenth century.
(d) Twentieth century.
5. Which of the following best describes Archimedes as discussed by Dunham?
(a) Creative but stubborn.
(b) Loud and arrogant.
(c) Mild-mannered researcher.
(d) Absent-minded genius.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which mathematician was first to take the challenge to solve cubic equations?
2. How many definitions were stated in Elements?
3. What is the name for determining the area of an enclosed space by constructing a square of equivalent area?
4. How did Euler prove if the number 4,294,967,297 was prime or composite?
5. How did Archimedes arrive at a number value for pi?
This section contains 278 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)