|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Cantor and the Transfinite Realm.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was Neil's Abel from?
(b) Great Britian,
2. What concept did Dunham end his book with?
(a) Archimedes and the infinite series.
(b) Cantor and his voyage into the infinite.
(c) Newton's method of calculus.
(d) Heron's triangulated area.
3. According to Euclid, when is a triangle a right triangle?
(a) When a triangle has a side whose square is the sum of the squares of the two legs.
(b) When a triangle does not have a side which can be considered a hypotenuse.
(c) When a triangle has three sides whose squares are equal to the area of the triangle.
(d) When a triangle can be constructed with three unequal sides.
4. Which of the following was NOT one of the basic definitions in Elements?
(b) Straight Line.
(d) Right angles.
5. In the Bernoulli's time, what was the current definition of a series?
(a) The sum of a never-ending series of terms.
(b) The finite sum of a divergent series.
(c) The infinite sum of a convergent series.
(d) The sum of a finite series of terms.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Gauss construct?
2. How did Gauss feel about his best work?
3. Which words best describe how solid proofs were developed in Elements?
4. What were the proofs in Elements based on?
5. Who were Johann and Jakob Bernoulli?
This section contains 325 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)