|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Cantor and the Transfinite Realm.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following was true about Cardano, according to Dunham?
(a) He was not a mathematician.
(b) He was a priest.
(c) He was jailed for heresy.
(d) He had three wives.
2. Which of the following is an example of a postulate that must be accepted in Elements?
(a) It is possible to draw an arc with any three points.
(b) It is possible to draw a straight line between an infinite number of points.
(c) It is possible to connect any two points with a line and make a circle.
(d) It is possible to draw a circle that contains no lines.
3. Where was the modern number system developed?
(a) In the East.
(b) In ancient Rome.
(c) In the West.
(d) In ancient Alexanderia.
4. In the Bernoulli's time, what was the current definition of a series?
(a) The finite sum of a divergent series.
(b) The sum of a never-ending series of terms.
(c) The infinite sum of a convergent series.
(d) The sum of a finite series of terms.
5. What do we know in modern times about Heron?
(a) We know he lived in Rome.
(b) We know he was an influencial scholar, but we don't know who his students were.
(c) We know very little, but much of his work survives.
(d) We know he was a teacher and philosopher but much of his work has been lost.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following was NOT true about Archimedes, according to Dunham?
2. What did Euler prove about 2²ⁿ + 1?
3. What did Dunham describe about the following series 1 + 2 + 3 + 4. . .?
4. Which of the following was NOT defined by Euclid?
5. According to Euclid, when is a triangle a right triangle?
This section contains 417 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)