|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Cantor and the Transfinite Realm.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What instruments did the Greeks use to square a shape?
(a) A small grid.
(b) A compass and a ruled straight-edge.
(c) A sphere and ruler.
(d) A pendulum.
2. What did George Cantor determine to be true of a set of rational numbers?
(a) They are denumerable.
(b) They are non-denumerable.
(c) They are all composite numbers.
(d) They are all prime numbers.
3. Which of the following was NOT defined by Euclid?
(a) Even numbers.
(b) Odd numbers.
(c) Whole numbers.
(d) Nominal numbers.
4. What did Newton's calculus involve?
(a) Determining the volume of a sphere.
(b) Determining the area under a curve.
(c) Proving the existance of pi.
(d) Proving the cubic equation.
5. What was most useful about finding the square of a shape, before Hippocrates?
(a) It was useful in finding the area of oddly shaped pieces of land.
(b) It was useful in creating simple elevation maps,
(c) It was useful in determining the distance between two points.
(d) It was useful in finding the area of circles.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was del Ferro's student?
2. Which of the following is INCORRECT, and not used in Archimedes proof of his theory?
3. Who challenged Tartaglia to a contest to solve cubic equations?
4. What was aleph naught?
5. What range of values did Archimedes determine for pi?
This section contains 341 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)