|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Cantor and the Transfinite Realm.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following was NOT a field in which Isaac Newton made enormous advances?
2. Which of the following was one of Gauss' early discoveries?
(a) A proof that the Pythagorean Theorem was correct.
(b) A demonstration of the sum of the series 1 + 1/2³ + 1/3³ + 1/4³ . . . 1/k³ . .
(c) A way to construct a regular 17-sided polygon.
(d) A method to simplify Newton's calulus.
3. Who acted as the gate keepers of knowledge?
(a) Greek tradesman.
(b) Greek philosophers.
(c) Arabian scholars.
(d) Roman emporers.
4. Which of the following was NOT one of the basic definitions in Elements?
(b) Straight Line.
(d) Right angles.
5. What great theorem is presented by Dunham in this chapter?
(a) A theorem on series developed by Jakob and published by Johann Bernoulli.
(b) An improvement on Leibniz's caluclus as presented by Jakob Bernoulli.
(c) A theorem on infinite series published by Jakob Bernoulli.
(d) A theorem on finite series developed by Johann Bernoulli.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Hippocrates do that advanced mathematical methods?
2. What is true about real numbers between 0 and 1?
3. Which of the following best describes Archimedes as discussed by Dunham?
4. What were the proofs in Elements based on?
5. What was most useful about finding the square of a shape, before Hippocrates?
This section contains 312 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)