|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Cantor and the Transfinite Realm.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did George Cantor discover?
(a) A way to compare the relative sizes of infinite sets.
(b) A way to determine the accuracy of a calculation.
(c) A method to measure infinity.
(d) A method to measure a curved area.
2. Where did Newton go to school before he went to Cambridge?
(a) The King's School.
(b) Cambridge Prep.
(c) Charles II Grammar School.
(d) Oxford Grammar School.
3. Which mathematician was first to take the challenge to solve cubic equations?
(a) Scipione del Ferro.
(b) Niccolo Fontana.
(c) Luca Pacioli.
4. What did Cantor develop?
(a) A system to compare relative sizes of cardinal numbers.
(b) A method to factor very large composite numbers.
(c) A method to find the sum of a geometric series.
(d) A system to identify prime numbers of very large size.
5. In his later life, what position did Isaac Newton hold?
(a) Angelican father.
(b) Warden of the Mint.
(c) Principle science advisor to Charles II.
(d) Professor of philosophy in Paris.
Short Answer Questions
1. To how many decimal places did Newton determine the number for pi?
2. Which of the following is a quote from Bertrand Russell included by Dunham?
3. Which of the following becomes an important definition in mathematics that was first presented in Elements?
4. How did Archimedes arrive at a number value for pi?
5. What name did Euclid give for numbers that could be divided by numbers other than themselves and one?
This section contains 319 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)