|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through A Sampler of Euler's Number Theory.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Gauss do with his best work?
(a) He gave it to his son to publish.
(b) He published it.
(c) He did not publish it.
(d) He gave it to his students.
2. What did Heron's advances put into historical perspective for Dunham?
(a) A shift in learning across continents.
(b) A change in learning foundations in the ancient scholarly universities.
(c) A shift in information flow that ignored socioeconomic order.
(d) A change in political theory across the globe.
3. Which of the following was true about Cardano, according to Dunham?
(a) He had three wives.
(b) He was not a mathematician.
(c) He was jailed for heresy.
(d) He was a priest.
4. Which is a geometric concept that humans have been aware of since the dawn of agriculture?
(a) Metric system.
5. According to Euclid, when is a triangle a right triangle?
(a) When a triangle can be constructed with three unequal sides.
(b) When a triangle has three sides whose squares are equal to the area of the triangle.
(c) When a triangle does not have a side which can be considered a hypotenuse.
(d) When a triangle has a side whose square is the sum of the squares of the two legs.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many sides did the pentadecagon have, as presented by Euclid?
2. Which of the following was an important proposition given by Euclid's number theory?
3. What didn't Euler attempt?
4. Which word best describes Newton's childhood?
5. What shape was NOT demonstrated in the Elements as having a relationship to other shapes?
This section contains 311 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)