|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through A Sampler of Euler's Number Theory.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following was NOT a field in which Isaac Newton made enormous advances?
2. What is the name for determining the area of an enclosed space by constructing a square of equivalent area?
(d) Square root.
3. What did British scholars accuse Leibniz of?
(a) Stealing Newton's Binomial theorem.
(b) Publishing Newton's work without his approval.
(c) Conspiring the death of Newton.
(d) Plagiarizing Newton's calculus method.
4. Which of the following did Dunham concentrate on as one of Newton's great advances?
(a) Quintic theorem.
(b) Area of a sphere.
(c) Binomial theorem.
(d) Quadratic equation.
5. How did Euler prove if the number 4,294,967,297 was prime or composite?
(a) He divided it by 2.
(b) He used Newton's calulus methods.
(c) He factored it.
(d) He used his own rule of squares.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Newton's calculus involve?
2. Which words best describe how solid proofs were developed in Elements?
3. What were the proofs in Elements based on?
4. What was most useful about finding the square of a shape, before Hippocrates?
5. Which of the following could NOT be included as a step in Euclid's great theorem?
This section contains 305 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)