|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through A Sampler of Euler's Number Theory.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was known about pi, during Archimedes' time?
(a) Nothing, the concept of pi was unknown.
(b) That is was the relationship between the diameter and circumference of a circle.
(c) That it could not be assigned a relationship between measurements in a circle.
(d) That it was never the same number value for a given circle.
2. Who wrote a treatise that supposed that cubic equations may be impossible to solve?
(a) Niccolo Fontana.
(b) Gerolamo Cardano.
(c) Scipione del Ferro.
(d) Luca Pacioli.
3. What did Dunham claim about Archimedes's determination of a number value for pi?
(a) Archimedes's number could have been better if he had understood Euclid's work better,
(b) Archimedes's number was very good, considering he did not have a way to calculate square roots.
(c) Archimedes's number was perfectly correct.
(d) Archimedes's number was not very accurate, considering the technology of his time.
4. What series was Euler most famous for?
(a) 1 + 1/2 + 3/4 + 4/5 . . .
(b) 1 + 1/4 + 1/9 + 1/16 . . . + 1/k² . . .
(c) 1 + 1/2 + 1/6 + 1/10 + 1/15 . . .
(d) 1 + 1/2³ + 1/3³ + 1/4³ . . . 1/k³ . . .
5. What was Hippocrates's great advance to mathematics?
(a) He showed how to square a figure with curved sides.
(b) He showed how to simplify the area of a triangle.
(c) He showed how to find the angles in a right triangle.
(d) He showed how to square a circle.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is false about the modern implications of Euclid's number theory?
2. Where was Neil's Abel from?
3. Which was true of Euclid's number theory?
4. Who else, besides Newton, independently discovered a calculus method?
5. What did Gauss construct?
This section contains 359 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)