|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through A Sampler of Euler's Number Theory.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Hippocrates, what shape did the Greeks attempt to square without success?
2. What was the same about Apollonius and Erosthanes?
(a) They were both born in the same year.
(b) They were both mathematicians.
(c) They both calculated the circumference of the earth.
(d) They both studied the Universe.
3. How did Euler prove if the number 4,294,967,297 was prime or composite?
(a) He divided it by 2.
(b) He used his own rule of squares.
(c) He factored it.
(d) He used Newton's calulus methods.
4. Which words best describe how solid proofs were developed in Elements?
(a) Inverted scaffold.
(b) Programmed order.
(c) Axiomatic framework.
(d) Simple arguments.
5. What did most of Heron's work deal with?
(a) Theoretical mathematics.
(b) Practical solutions to public problems.
(c) Practical mathematics applications.
(d) Philosophical questions on the origins of the universe.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was known about pi, during Archimedes' time?
2. What was true about Heron's theorem as described by Dunham?
3. How do we know about Hippocrates proofs and theorems?
4. That properties of specific shapes were early Egyptians aware of?
5. What is the sum of the series 1 + 1/2³ + 1/3³ + 1/4³ ... 1/k³ . . .?
This section contains 322 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)