|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through A Sampler of Euler's Number Theory.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is true in modern math about twin primes?
(a) They are not considered whole numbers.
(b) Their sum is always another prime number.
(c) We don't know if they are finite or infinite.
(d) They are infinite.
2. As described by Archimedes, what is always true about he diameter of the circle?
(a) It's equal to pi.
(b) It's never proportional to its circumference.
(c) It's always proportional to its circumference.
(d) It's equal to the square of the radius.
3. What did the Pythagorean Theorem accomplish for mathematics?
(a) The concept of providing a logical proof.
(b) The concept of constructing useful mathematics.
(c) The ability to measure angles.
(d) The ability to find square roots.
4. Why did Cardano take an oath to secrecy?
(a) It was the only way to get Tartaglia's solution to cubic equations.
(b) It was the only way he could become a priest,
(c) It was the only way to get his book published.
(d) It was to the only way to win the contest with Fior,
5. What was the same about the series proposed by Leibniz and the series proposed by Bernoulli?
(a) Both series were convergent.
(b) Both series were divergent.
(c) Both series were composed of successively smaller terms.
(d) Both series were composed of successively larger terms.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Newton go to school before he went to Cambridge?
2. "Straight lines in the same plane that will never meet if extended forever" is a definition of what?
3. Which of the following was a major part of Gauss' work in mathematics?
4. What range of values did Archimedes determine for pi?
5. Who encourages Newton during his studies at Cambridge?
This section contains 322 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)