|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through A Sampler of Euler's Number Theory.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did most of Heron's work deal with?
(a) Practical mathematics applications.
(b) Philosophical questions on the origins of the universe.
(c) Practical solutions to public problems.
(d) Theoretical mathematics.
2. What did Dunham consider as Archimedes's "masterpiece"?
(a) Archimedes' work on volume to surface area ratios.
(b) Archimedes' work on determining angular measurements.
(c) Archimedes' work on determining a number value for pi.
(d) Archimedes' work on shperes, cones, and cylinders.
3. What did Euclid do in his 48th proposition?
(a) Euclid demonstrated the faults of the Pythagorean Theorem.
(b) Euclid proved the converse of the Pythagorean Theorem.
(c) Euclid proved the Pythagorean Theorem.
(d) Euclid demonstrated how to use the Pythagorean Theorem.
4. What was the same about Apollonius and Erosthanes?
(a) They both calculated the circumference of the earth.
(b) They were both mathematicians.
(c) They were both born in the same year.
(d) They both studied the Universe.
5. What did the Pythagorean Theorem accomplish for mathematics?
(a) The concept of constructing useful mathematics.
(b) The concept of providing a logical proof.
(c) The ability to find square roots.
(d) The ability to measure angles.
Short Answer Questions
1. To how many decimal places did Newton determine the number for pi?
2. Exactly what limit is reached at a quartic equation?
3. What was the title of Cardano's book which contained the solution to the cubic?
4. Which of the following did Dunham concentrate on as one of Newton's great advances?
5. Who was the first of ancient philosophers to consider why geometric properties existed?
This section contains 278 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)