|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through A Sampler of Euler's Number Theory.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following best describes Cardano's character?
2. What hindered Euler's work as he grew older?
(a) His increasing blindness.
(b) He had a stroke.
(c) His hearing was getting worse.
(d) He had very bad arthritis.
3. Where does the center of mathematical thinking shift to after Italy?
(a) To France and Britian.
(b) To Britian and Scotland.
(c) To Turkey and Russia.
(d) To Germany and Russia.
4. Who wrote a treatise that supposed that cubic equations may be impossible to solve?
(a) Scipione del Ferro.
(b) Gerolamo Cardano.
(c) Niccolo Fontana.
(d) Luca Pacioli.
5. Which phrase best describes Newton as a student at Cambridge?
(a) Tolerant, mildly interested in science.
(b) A highly praised genius.
(c) Quiet recluse of no intelligence.
(d) Unnoticed, but remarkable.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following can not be solved using algebra?
2. In what time period did mathematicians find a solution to cubic equations?
3. What did the Pythagorean Theorem accomplish for mathematics?
4. What was similar about both Euler and Gauss as children?
5. Which word best describes Newton's childhood?
This section contains 236 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)