|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through A Sampler of Euler's Number Theory.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What instruments did the Greeks use to square a shape?
(a) A compass and a ruled straight-edge.
(b) A sphere and ruler.
(c) A small grid.
(d) A pendulum.
2. Where did Euler study at the age of 20?
(a) University of Moscow.
(b) The Academy in St. Petersburg.
3. Which of the following is true about pi, as described by Dunham.
(a) The measurement of pi should not have been so difficult for Archimedes to demonstrate.
(b) The measurement of pi is no longer a mystery as we have an exact number value in modern mathematics.
(c) The measurement of pi was redetermined after Archimedes's death.
(d) The measurement of pi is a challenge that continues into modern mathematics.
4. What is a "depressed cubic"?
(a) A method to logically square all the factors in a cubic equation.
(b) A method to solve equations with two variables.
(c) A method to simplify measuring complex geometric forms.
(d) A method to simpify the x squared value in a cubic equation.
5. Which is one of the common notions presented in Elements?
(a) "Points with equal values can be connected with a line of equal value."
(b) "Things with are equal have an inverse that is equal."
(c) "The inverse of a line makes a circle."
(d) "Things which are equal to the same thing are also equal to each other."
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the same about Apollonius and Erosthanes?
2. What did Gauss construct?
3. Who encourages Newton during his studies at Cambridge?
4. What else, besides a solution to cubic equations, was in Cardano's book?
5. Which was true of Euclid's number theory?
This section contains 379 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)