|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through A Sampler of Euler's Number Theory.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Ferdinand Lindeman prove in 1882?
(a) That the square root of the hypotenuse of a right triangle can not be found.
(b) It is possible to find the square of a circle.
(c) It is impossible to find the square of a semicircle.
(d) That the square of a circle can not be found with a compass and a straight-edge.
2. What did Dunham discuss for many pages in this chapter?
(a) Heron's religious beliefs-
(b) Heron's complicated proof.
(c) Heron's political tendancy.
(d) Heron's origins of the universe.
3. What was true about Heron's theorem as described by Dunham?
(a) It was to solve equations were only two varibles are known.
(b) It was to determine the volume of a sphere without measuring the circumference.
(c) It was to determine the area of a circle by measuring a right triangle inside the circle.
(d) It was to find the area of a triangle when only the length of the sides are known.
4. What did Gauss do with his best work?
(a) He gave it to his students.
(b) He gave it to his son to publish.
(c) He published it.
(d) He did not publish it.
5. Who was Heron?
(a) A matematician from Alexanderia.
(b) A politician from Rome.
(c) A philosopher from Greece.
(d) A physician from the far East.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Euclid, when is a triangle a right triangle?
2. What did the Pythagorean Theorem accomplish for mathematics?
3. What was true about Hippocrates's proof?
4. Which mathematician was first to take the challenge to solve cubic equations?
5. Who was Euler's teacher?
This section contains 371 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)