|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through A Sampler of Euler's Number Theory.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What series was Euler most famous for?
(a) 1 + 1/4 + 1/9 + 1/16 . . . + 1/k² . . .
(b) 1 + 1/2 + 1/6 + 1/10 + 1/15 . . .
(c) 1 + 1/2 + 3/4 + 4/5 . . .
(d) 1 + 1/2³ + 1/3³ + 1/4³ . . . 1/k³ . . .
2. Which of the following can not be solved using algebra?
(b) Quintic equation.
(c) Quadratic equation.
(d) Geometric equation.
3. Which words best describe how solid proofs were developed in Elements?
(a) Axiomatic framework.
(b) Simple arguments.
(c) Inverted scaffold.
(d) Programmed order.
4. What did Hippocrates do that advanced mathematical methods?
(a) He demonstrated that geometry does not have to be based on previous knowledge.
(b) He built theorems based on sequencially more complex proofs.
(c) He proved that mathematics can be applied in a unlogical order.
(d) He created a new ways to disprove theories.
5. Who acted as the gate keepers of knowledge?
(a) Greek tradesman.
(b) Arabian scholars.
(c) Roman emporers.
(d) Greek philosophers.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Dunham, who was most able to collect knowledge from around the globe?
2. In general, what did Euclid's number theory describe?
3. What does the Pythagorean Theorem state?
4. Which of the following was NOT one of the basic definitions in Elements?
5. Who was del Ferro's student?
This section contains 269 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)