|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through A Sampler of Euler's Number Theory.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Euclid, when is a triangle a right triangle?
(a) When a triangle has a side whose square is the sum of the squares of the two legs.
(b) When a triangle can be constructed with three unequal sides.
(c) When a triangle has three sides whose squares are equal to the area of the triangle.
(d) When a triangle does not have a side which can be considered a hypotenuse.
2. In what century did Archimedes live?
(a) Third century B.C.
(b) First century A.D,
(c) Twelthf century A.D.
(d) Nineteeth century A.D.
3. Which of the following can not be solved using algebra?
(b) Quadratic equation.
(c) Quintic equation.
(d) Geometric equation.
4. What was Hippocrates's great advance to mathematics?
(a) He showed how to find the angles in a right triangle.
(b) He showed how to simplify the area of a triangle.
(c) He showed how to square a circle.
(d) He showed how to square a figure with curved sides.
5. Who eventually solved the sum of the successive squared denominator series?
(a) Johann Bernoulli.
(b) Leonhard Euler.
(c) Jakob Bernoulli.
(d) John Napier.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Euler born?
2. What did Gauss do with his best work?
3. What did Dunham discuss for many pages in this chapter?
4. How did Euler prove if the number 4,294,967,297 was prime or composite?
5. What did Dunham claim about Archimedes's determination of a number value for pi?
This section contains 322 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)