|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through A Sampler of Euler's Number Theory.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On who's work did Euler base his number theory?
2. Which of the following is true in modern math about twin primes?
(a) They are infinite.
(b) We don't know if they are finite or infinite.
(c) Their sum is always another prime number.
(d) They are not considered whole numbers.
3. Which of the following was a major part of Gauss' work in mathematics?
(a) Simple proofs to demonstrate Bernoulli's series.
(b) Proofs to show that Archimedes' number theory was wrong.
(c) Elemental proofs related to the foundations of algebra.
(d) Proofs on the area of a square.
4. In general, what did Euclid's number theory describe?
(a) The relationship of decimals to integers.
(b) The nature of measuring geometry.
(c) The relationship of fractions to decimals.
(d) The nature of whole numbers.
5. Which of the following is an example of a postulate that must be accepted in Elements?
(a) It is possible to draw an arc with any three points.
(b) It is possible to connect any two points with a line and make a circle.
(c) It is possible to draw a straight line between an infinite number of points.
(d) It is possible to draw a circle that contains no lines.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Newton go to school before he went to Cambridge?
2. What did Dunham consider extraordinary about the Elements?
3. What name did Euclid give for numbers that could be divided by numbers other than themselves and one?
4. What range of values did Archimedes determine for pi?
5. Who was Eratosthanes?
This section contains 320 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)