|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through A Sampler of Euler's Number Theory.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a "depressed cubic"?
(a) A method to simpify the x squared value in a cubic equation.
(b) A method to simplify measuring complex geometric forms.
(c) A method to logically square all the factors in a cubic equation.
(d) A method to solve equations with two variables.
2. To how many decimal places did Newton determine the number for pi?
(a) Nine places.
(b) Three places.
(c) Twelve places.
(d) Eight places.
3. What is the name for determining the area of an enclosed space by constructing a square of equivalent area?
(c) Square root.
4. What series was Euler most famous for?
(a) 1 + 1/4 + 1/9 + 1/16 . . . + 1/k² . . .
(b) 1 + 1/2 + 3/4 + 4/5 . . .
(c) 1 + 1/2³ + 1/3³ + 1/4³ . . . 1/k³ . . .
(d) 1 + 1/2 + 1/6 + 1/10 + 1/15 . . .
5. "Straight lines in the same plane that will never meet if extended forever" is a definition of what?
(b) Parallel lines.
(d) 180 degree angle.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following best describes Cardano's character?
2. What were the main technique(s) that Euler used to find the sum of the series?
3. What did Gauss do with his best work?
4. Which of the following was NOT true about Archimedes, according to Dunham?
5. What did Gauss construct?
This section contains 287 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)