|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Bernoullis and the Harmonic Series.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. "Straight lines in the same plane that will never meet if extended forever" is a definition of what?
(a) Parallel lines.
(c) 180 degree angle.
2. What was the same about Apollonius and Erosthanes?
(a) They both calculated the circumference of the earth.
(b) They both studied the Universe.
(c) They were both born in the same year.
(d) They were both mathematicians.
3. Which of the following was NOT one of the basic definitions in Elements?
(b) Right angles.
(d) Straight Line.
4. Which of the following was NOT true about Archimedes, according to Dunham?
(a) Archimedes died because he refused to follow orders until he completed a math problem.
(b) He died as a soldier.
(c) He died during the fall of Syracuse.
(d) His death was described as being by the hands of a Roman invader.
5. Where was Archimedes born?
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Lindeman prove his conclusion?
2. Why did Cardano take an oath to secrecy?
3. How many sides did the pentadecagon have, as presented by Euclid?
4. What did the Pythagorean Theorem accomplish for mathematics?
5. Exactly what limit is reached at a quartic equation?
This section contains 319 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)