|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Bernoullis and the Harmonic Series.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Dunham describe about the following series 1 + 2 + 3 + 4. . .?
(a) The sum converges to infinity.
(b) The sum grows ever smaller.
(c) The sum diverges to infinity.
(d) The sum converges to a finite term.
2. Which of the following becomes an important definition in mathematics that was first presented in Elements?
(b) Parallel line.
(c) 180 degree angle.
3. What was true about Hippocrates's proof?
(a) It was fairly easy and simple.
(b) It was useful for circles.
(c) The proof was exceedingly difficult and not understood at the time.
(d) The proof was easy if their was advanced technology available.
4. In his later life, what position did Isaac Newton hold?
(a) Warden of the Mint.
(b) Principle science advisor to Charles II.
(c) Angelican father.
(d) Professor of philosophy in Paris.
5. Where does the center of mathematical thinking shift to after Italy?
(a) To Britian and Scotland.
(b) To Turkey and Russia.
(c) To France and Britian.
(d) To Germany and Russia.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the Bernoulli's time, what was the current definition of a series?
2. Where was Archimedes born?
3. Where did Hippocrates come from?
4. What did Dunham claim about Archimedes's determination of a number value for pi?
5. Who acted as the gate keepers of knowledge?
This section contains 278 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)