|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Bernoullis and the Harmonic Series.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name for determining the area of an enclosed space by constructing a square of equivalent area?
(a) Square root.
2. Which of the following could NOT be included as a step in Euclid's great theorem?
(a) After summation, the new number can be prime or composite.
(b) Divide a infinite group of primes by the sum of their composites.
(c) Take a finite group of primes and add them together, plus one.
(d) If a new number is found to be composite, then it must have some prime as a divisor.
3. According to Dunham, who was most able to collect knowledge from around the globe?
(a) Greek philosophers.
(b) Roman emporers.
(c) Greek tradesman.
(d) Arabian scholars.
4. Who wrote a treatise that supposed that cubic equations may be impossible to solve?
(a) Scipione del Ferro.
(b) Niccolo Fontana.
(c) Luca Pacioli.
(d) Gerolamo Cardano.
5. In general, what did Euclid's number theory describe?
(a) The nature of whole numbers.
(b) The nature of measuring geometry.
(c) The relationship of fractions to decimals.
(d) The relationship of decimals to integers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which city was the center of thinking and learning in Third century BC?
2. What name did Euclid give for numbers that could be divided by numbers other than themselves and one?
3. In what century did Archimedes live?
4. What did Dunham claim about Archimedes's determination of a number value for pi?
5. Who was the first of ancient philosophers to consider why geometric properties existed?
This section contains 307 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)