|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Bernoullis and the Harmonic Series.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who wrote a treatise that supposed that cubic equations may be impossible to solve?
(a) Niccolo Fontana.
(b) Luca Pacioli.
(c) Scipione del Ferro.
(d) Gerolamo Cardano.
2. Which of the following is a series that the Bernoullis proposed did not converge on a finite sum?
(a) 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5. . .
(b) 1 + 1/2 + 1/6 + 1/10 + 1/15 . . .
(c) 1 + 1/2 + 3/4 + 4/5 . . .
(d) 1 + 1/2 + 1/3 + 1/4 + 1/5 . . . 1/1000 . . .
3. Who, in modern day, is given credit for the calculus method?
(b) Johann Bernoulli.
(d) Both Newton and Leibniz.
4. What did Apollonius work with in mathematics?
(a) He worked on conics.
(b) He worked on advanced algebra.
(c) He discovered the algrebraic equation.
(d) He develped a way to measure the volume of a sphere.
5. What do we know in modern times about Heron?
(a) We know he was an influencial scholar, but we don't know who his students were.
(b) We know very little, but much of his work survives.
(c) We know he lived in Rome.
(d) We know he was a teacher and philosopher but much of his work has been lost.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which is one of the common notions presented in Elements?
2. As described by Dunham, what did Archimedes demonstrate first in his proof on pi?
3. What is the name for determining the area of an enclosed space by constructing a square of equivalent area?
4. Which of the following can not be solved using algebra?
5. Which shapes as described by Euclid, inspired the Greek philosopher Plato?
This section contains 396 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)