|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Bernoullis and the Harmonic Series.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which name does NOT belong?
(a) Blaise Pascal.
(b) Francois Viete
(c) John Napier.
(d) Renee Descartes.
2. What is true about prime numbers?
(a) Prime numbers can never be an odd number.
(b) Prime numbers can not exist in a finite series.
(c) That for every group of prime numbers, there exists at least one more prime.
(d) Prime numbers are not divisible by other numbers.
3. Who encourages Newton during his studies at Cambridge?
(a) Henry Stokes.
(b) Isaac Barrow.
(c) Henry Briggs.
(d) John Napier.
4. Which of the following was NOT one of the things Dunham claimed was ingenious about Euclid's proof of the Pythagorean theorem?
(a) Euclid used propositions about similar angles and parallel lines.
(b) Euclid stated that the diagonal hypotenuse of a right triangle is equal to the sums of the squares of the two legs.
(c) Euclid constructed squares on the sides of right triangles.
(d) Euclid used his own axioms and propositions to show relationships,
5. What else, besides a solution to cubic equations, was in Cardano's book?
(a) A proof of the Pythagorean Theorem.
(b) A suggested method to depress all complex geometry.
(c) A solution to quartic equations.
(d) An alegrabic solution to quintic equations,
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Dunham consider as Archimedes's "masterpiece"?
2. What allowed Cardano to justify publishing his book?
3. In what century did Archimedes live?
4. To how many decimal places did Newton determine the number for pi?
5. What did Apollonius work with in mathematics?
This section contains 336 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)