|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Bernoullis and the Harmonic Series.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who eventually solved the sum of the successive squared denominator series?
(a) Jakob Bernoulli.
(b) John Napier.
(c) Leonhard Euler.
(d) Johann Bernoulli.
2. Who were Johann and Jakob Bernoulli?
(a) Brothers and students of Leibniz.
(b) Cousins and students with Leibniz in Paris.
(c) Cousins and students with Newton at Cambridge.
(d) Twin brothers and students of Newton.
3. What was most useful about finding the square of a shape, before Hippocrates?
(a) It was useful in finding the area of circles.
(b) It was useful in finding the area of oddly shaped pieces of land.
(c) It was useful in creating simple elevation maps,
(d) It was useful in determining the distance between two points.
4. Heron devised which of the following methods?
(a) A way to apply mathematics to public health.
(b) A way to determine the volume in a sphere.
(c) A way to determine the area of a triangle.
(d) A way to solve binomial equations.
5. What instruments did the Greeks use to square a shape?
(a) A pendulum.
(b) A small grid.
(c) A compass and a ruled straight-edge.
(d) A sphere and ruler.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which was true of Euclid's number theory?
2. What provided most of the content in the book Elements?
3. Which of the following was NOT true about Archimedes, according to Dunham?
4. What did Gauss set out to prove?
5. According to Dunham, who was most able to collect knowledge from around the globe?
This section contains 335 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)