|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Bernoullis and the Harmonic Series.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Dunham describe about the following series 1 + 2 + 3 + 4. . .?
(a) The sum converges to infinity.
(b) The sum diverges to infinity.
(c) The sum grows ever smaller.
(d) The sum converges to a finite term.
2. What is true about prime numbers?
(a) Prime numbers are not divisible by other numbers.
(b) Prime numbers can not exist in a finite series.
(c) That for every group of prime numbers, there exists at least one more prime.
(d) Prime numbers can never be an odd number.
3. Which of the following was NOT one of the things Dunham claimed was ingenious about Euclid's proof of the Pythagorean theorem?
(a) Euclid constructed squares on the sides of right triangles.
(b) Euclid used propositions about similar angles and parallel lines.
(c) Euclid used his own axioms and propositions to show relationships,
(d) Euclid stated that the diagonal hypotenuse of a right triangle is equal to the sums of the squares of the two legs.
4. What else, besides a solution to cubic equations, was in Cardano's book?
(a) A proof of the Pythagorean Theorem.
(b) An alegrabic solution to quintic equations,
(c) A solution to quartic equations.
(d) A suggested method to depress all complex geometry.
5. What provided most of the content in the book Elements?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Heron?
2. What is a "depressed cubic"?
3. What was known about pi, during Archimedes' time?
4. What did British scholars accuse Leibniz of?
5. Which of the following was NOT true about Archimedes, according to Dunham?
This section contains 393 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)