|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Bernoullis and the Harmonic Series.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Euclid state about pi in Elements?
(a) The proportion of diameter to area is never equal.
(b) There is a constant relationship between the area of a circle and the square of its diameter.
(c) The proportion of area to circumference is never equal.
(d) There is no relationship between the area of a circle and its circumference.
2. According to Dunham, who was most able to collect knowledge from around the globe?
(a) Greek philosophers.
(b) Greek tradesman.
(c) Roman emporers.
(d) Arabian scholars.
3. What was known about pi, during Archimedes' time?
(a) That is was the relationship between the diameter and circumference of a circle.
(b) Nothing, the concept of pi was unknown.
(c) That it could not be assigned a relationship between measurements in a circle.
(d) That it was never the same number value for a given circle.
4. Besides being a mathematician, what else other work was Archimedes famous for?
(a) Artist and musician.
(b) Doctor and writer,
(c) Inventor and scientist.
5. In general, what did Euclid's number theory describe?
(a) The nature of measuring geometry.
(b) The nature of whole numbers.
(c) The relationship of decimals to integers.
(d) The relationship of fractions to decimals.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Straight lines in the same plane that will never meet if extended forever" is a definition of what?
2. When was the work of these early thinkers rediscovered again in history?
3. What was true about Heron's theorem as described by Dunham?
4. What was Hippocrates famous for?
5. How did Lindeman prove his conclusion?
This section contains 386 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)