|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Bernoullis and the Harmonic Series.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What provided most of the content in the book Elements?
2. What were the proofs in Elements based on?
(a) Novel notions.
(b) Ancient greek geometry.
(c) Basic definitions.
(d) Lindeman's method.
3. What else, besides a solution to cubic equations, was in Cardano's book?
(a) A proof of the Pythagorean Theorem.
(b) A suggested method to depress all complex geometry.
(c) A solution to quartic equations.
(d) An alegrabic solution to quintic equations,
4. What was Hippocrates famous for?
(a) His theorem on the quadrature of the lune.
(b) His ability to construct circles without a compass.
(c) His proof defining gravity.
(d) His proof on right triangles.
5. Dunham showed that Heron's proof could also be used as which of the following?
(a) A proof of Euclid's number theory
(b) A proof of Archimedes' number theory.
(c) A proof of the Pythagorean Theorem.
(d) A proof of Hippocrates' squared areas.
Short Answer Questions
1. Numbers whose divisor add up to itself, was considered which type of number according to Euclid?
2. What did the Pythagorean Theorem accomplish for mathematics?
3. Why did Cardano take an oath to secrecy?
4. What range of values did Archimedes determine for pi?
5. What was the title of Cardano's book which contained the solution to the cubic?
This section contains 281 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)