|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Bernoullis and the Harmonic Series.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Dunham discuss for many pages in this chapter?
(a) Heron's origins of the universe.
(b) Heron's political tendancy.
(c) Heron's religious beliefs-
(d) Heron's complicated proof.
2. Which was true of Euclid's number theory?
(a) It was incorrect, as proved by Plato.
(b) It has been proven too basic to be useful.
(c) It was proven to the true by Hippocrates.
(d) It has an impact on modern math.
3. Who was the author of the book Elements?
4. Which of the following is true in modern math about twin primes?
(a) They are not considered whole numbers.
(b) We don't know if they are finite or infinite.
(c) They are infinite.
(d) Their sum is always another prime number.
5. Which of the following is a series that the Bernoullis proposed did not converge on a finite sum?
(a) 1 + 1/2 + 1/6 + 1/10 + 1/15 . . .
(b) 1 + 1/2 + 1/3 + 1/4 + 1/5 . . . 1/1000 . . .
(c) 1 + 1/2 + 3/4 + 4/5 . . .
(d) 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5. . .
Short Answer Questions
1. Which is one of the common notions presented in Elements?
2. Who, in modern day, is given credit for the calculus method?
3. Which of the following was NOT one of the things Dunham claimed was ingenious about Euclid's proof of the Pythagorean theorem?
4. What great theorem is presented by Dunham in this chapter?
5. What did Plato use his inspiration from Euclid for?
This section contains 364 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)