|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Bernoullis and the Harmonic Series.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which words best describe how solid proofs were developed in Elements?
(a) Programmed order.
(b) Inverted scaffold.
(c) Axiomatic framework.
(d) Simple arguments.
2. Where was Archimedes born?
3. Which of the following best describes Archimedes as discussed by Dunham?
(a) Creative but stubborn.
(b) Absent-minded genius.
(c) Mild-mannered researcher.
(d) Loud and arrogant.
4. What name did Euclid give for numbers that could be divided by numbers other than themselves and one?
(a) Even numbers.
(b) Composite numbers.
(c) Perfect numbers.
(d) Discrete numbers.
5. Which was true of Euclid's number theory?
(a) It was proven to the true by Hippocrates.
(b) It has an impact on modern math.
(c) It was incorrect, as proved by Plato.
(d) It has been proven too basic to be useful.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was known about pi, during Archimedes' time?
2. Where does the center of mathematical thinking shift to after Italy?
3. Which of the following was NOT one of Gauss' discoveries?
4. Heron's work referred to the work of what other famous scholar?
5. Which of the following could NOT be included as a step in Euclid's great theorem?
This section contains 329 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)