|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Bernoullis and the Harmonic Series.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is false about the modern implications of Euclid's number theory?
(a) Great mathematicians continue to puzzle over some aspects of Euclid's number theory.
(b) Whether there are no odd perfect numbers is still not known.
(c) Euclid gave a good idea for how to construct even perfect numbers.
(d) Euclid's recipe for constructing even perfect numbers is incorrect.
2. What did Plato use his inspiration from Euclid for?
(a) To prove Euclid's number theory was incorrect.
(b) To construct his theory on the shape of the Universe.
(c) To create a new theorem of algebra.
(d) To classify geometric shapes by their complexity.
3. What name did Euclid give for numbers that could be divided by numbers other than themselves and one?
(a) Even numbers.
(b) Composite numbers.
(c) Perfect numbers.
(d) Discrete numbers.
4. Which of the following was NOT one of the basic definitions in Elements?
(a) Right angles.
(c) Straight Line.
5. Which of the following was NOT defined by Euclid?
(a) Whole numbers.
(b) Even numbers.
(c) Nominal numbers.
(d) Odd numbers.
Short Answer Questions
1. In his later life, what position did Isaac Newton hold?
2. Which of Euclid's postulates troubled many of the following generations of mathematicians?
3. Where did Hippocrates come from?
4. What else, besides a solution to cubic equations, was in Cardano's book?
5. What did British scholars accuse Leibniz of?
This section contains 292 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)