|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Bernoullis and the Harmonic Series.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Euclid, when is a triangle a right triangle?
(a) When a triangle does not have a side which can be considered a hypotenuse.
(b) When a triangle has a side whose square is the sum of the squares of the two legs.
(c) When a triangle can be constructed with three unequal sides.
(d) When a triangle has three sides whose squares are equal to the area of the triangle.
2. What was Hippocrates famous for?
(a) His ability to construct circles without a compass.
(b) His proof on right triangles.
(c) His proof defining gravity.
(d) His theorem on the quadrature of the lune.
3. Who else, besides Newton, independently discovered a calculus method?
(a) John Napier.
(b) Gottfried Leibniz.
(c) Isaac Barrow.
(d) Pierre de Fermat.
4. What was true about Hippocrates's proof?
(a) The proof was easy if their was advanced technology available.
(b) The proof was exceedingly difficult and not understood at the time.
(c) It was fairly easy and simple.
(d) It was useful for circles.
5. What did British scholars accuse Leibniz of?
(a) Plagiarizing Newton's calculus method.
(b) Publishing Newton's work without his approval.
(c) Conspiring the death of Newton.
(d) Stealing Newton's Binomial theorem.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Ferdinand Lindeman prove in 1882?
2. Which of the following is a series that the Bernoullis proposed did not converge on a finite sum?
3. What did Dunham describe about the following series 1 + 2 + 3 + 4. . .?
4. What was most useful about finding the square of a shape, before Hippocrates?
5. Which of the following was NOT one of Gauss' discoveries?
This section contains 393 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)