|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Bernoullis and the Harmonic Series.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many definitions were stated in Elements?
2. Who was Neil's Abel?
(a) He demonstrated the modern version of the Pythagorean Theorem.
(b) He demonstrated that Cardano's solution to the cubic was incorrect,
(c) He proved that to solve a quartic equation, one must use more than algebra.
(d) He proved that quintic equations cannot be solved using algebra.
3. Which of the following was one of Euclid's great theorems?
(a) Prime numbers are more comples than discrete numbers.
(b) There exists an infinite number of prime numbers.
(c) There exists only infinite and whole numbers.
(d) There exists an finite number of prime numbers.
4. What did British scholars accuse Leibniz of?
(a) Stealing Newton's Binomial theorem.
(b) Conspiring the death of Newton.
(c) Publishing Newton's work without his approval.
(d) Plagiarizing Newton's calculus method.
5. Which of the following is an example of a perfect number?
Short Answer Questions
1. In what time period did mathematicians find a solution to cubic equations?
2. Which of the following was NOT one of the basic definitions in Elements?
3. What was described as true about the series 1 + 1/2 + 1/6 + 1/10 + 1/15 + 1/21?
4. In Elements, how many postulates must be accepted as given?
5. What was the title of Cardano's book which contained the solution to the cubic?
This section contains 245 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)