|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Bernoullis and the Harmonic Series.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who's method did Tartaglia's challenger use in the contest to solve cubic equations?
(a) Pacioli's method.
(b) Fontana's method.
(c) del Ferro's method.
(d) Cardano's method.
2. What range of values did Archimedes determine for pi?
(a) Between 3 and 3 1/2.
(b) Between 3 10/11 and 3 1/7.
(c) Between 3 1/2 and 3 5/8.
(d) Between 3 and 4.
3. Which of the following did Dunham concentrate on as one of Newton's great advances?
(a) Area of a sphere.
(b) Quintic theorem.
(c) Quadratic equation.
(d) Binomial theorem.
4. What did most of Heron's work deal with?
(a) Practical solutions to public problems.
(b) Philosophical questions on the origins of the universe.
(c) Practical mathematics applications.
(d) Theoretical mathematics.
5. Which of the following were an example of twin primes?
(a) 11 and 13.
(b) 19 and 22.
(c) 15 and 16.
(d) 2 and 6.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following was NOT one of the things Dunham claimed was ingenious about Euclid's proof of the Pythagorean theorem?
2. What did Archimedes manage to prove using Euclid's ideas?
3. What did the Pythagorean Theorem accomplish for mathematics?
4. When was the work of these early thinkers rediscovered again in history?
5. What did Newton's calculus involve?
This section contains 332 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)