|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Bernoullis and the Harmonic Series.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What range of values did Archimedes determine for pi?
(a) Between 3 and 3 1/2.
(b) Between 3 10/11 and 3 1/7.
(c) Between 3 1/2 and 3 5/8.
(d) Between 3 and 4.
2. What is the name for determining the area of an enclosed space by constructing a square of equivalent area?
(b) Square root.
3. Who was the author of the book Elements?
4. Which city was the center of thinking and learning in Third century BC?
5. What do we know in modern times about Heron?
(a) We know he was a teacher and philosopher but much of his work has been lost.
(b) We know he was an influencial scholar, but we don't know who his students were.
(c) We know very little, but much of his work survives.
(d) We know he lived in Rome.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Hippocrates come from?
2. To how many decimal places did Newton determine the number for pi?
3. Which of the following was NOT defined by Euclid?
4. What did Dunham discuss for many pages in this chapter?
5. Which words best describe how solid proofs were developed in Elements?
This section contains 215 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)