|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Cardano and the Solution of the Cubic.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Heron devised which of the following methods?
(a) A way to determine the area of a triangle.
(b) A way to apply mathematics to public health.
(c) A way to determine the volume in a sphere.
(d) A way to solve binomial equations.
2. What else, besides a solution to cubic equations, was in Cardano's book?
(a) A suggested method to depress all complex geometry.
(b) A solution to quartic equations.
(c) An alegrabic solution to quintic equations,
(d) A proof of the Pythagorean Theorem.
3. Where did Hippocrates come from?
4. Who was the author of the book Elements?
5. What did Dunham discuss for many pages in this chapter?
(a) Heron's political tendancy.
(b) Heron's complicated proof.
(c) Heron's religious beliefs-
(d) Heron's origins of the universe.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which words best describe how solid proofs were developed in Elements?
2. Which of the following was NOT true about Archimedes, according to Dunham?
3. What was most useful about finding the square of a shape, before Hippocrates?
4. Which of the following is false about the modern implications of Euclid's number theory?
5. As described by Dunham, what did Archimedes demonstrate first in his proof on pi?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)