|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Cardano and the Solution of the Cubic.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What allowed Cardano to justify publishing his book?
(a) He was dead, and the book was really published by his student.
(b) He was punished as a heretic,
(c) He found del Ferro's orgininal solution to the cubic.
(d) He found Fior's documents which spoke against Tartaglia.
2. Where did Hippocrates come from?
3. After Hippocrates, what shape did the Greeks attempt to square without success?
4. What was the bases of Hippocrates's proof ?
(a) Properties of squares and cubes.
(b) Properties of points and lines.
(c) Properties of triangles and semicircles.
(d) Properties of area to volume measurements.
5. What did Gauss set out to prove?
(a) That a circle can have less than 360 degrees.
(b) That a right angle is always equal to 90 degrees.
(c) That Euclid's postulate on straight lines was incorrect.
(d) That the sum of the angles in a triangle is 180 degrees.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Euclid, when is a triangle a right triangle?
2. Which of the following was NOT true about Archimedes, according to Dunham?
3. What did Euclid do in his 48th proposition?
4. What did Plato use his inspiration from Euclid for?
5. Which of the following was NOT one of Gauss' discoveries?
This section contains 390 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)