|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Cardano and the Solution of the Cubic.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following was NOT one of the basic definitions in Elements?
(a) Right angles.
(c) Straight Line.
2. Exactly what limit is reached at a quartic equation?
(a) The limit of the decompressed cubic method.
(b) The limit of logical geometric proofs.
(c) The limit of algebra.
(d) The limit of the Pythagorean Theorem.
3. Which mathematician was first to take the challenge to solve cubic equations?
(b) Niccolo Fontana.
(c) Scipione del Ferro.
(d) Luca Pacioli.
4. How many definitions were stated in Elements?
5. Which of the following best describes Cardano's character?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following was NOT one of the things Dunham claimed was ingenious about Euclid's proof of the Pythagorean theorem?
2. What was known about pi, during Archimedes' time?
3. Who's method did Tartaglia's challenger use in the contest to solve cubic equations?
4. What was true about Hippocrates's proof?
5. Which shapes as described by Euclid, inspired the Greek philosopher Plato?
This section contains 296 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)