|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Cardano and the Solution of the Cubic.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Euclid state about pi in Elements?
(a) The proportion of area to circumference is never equal.
(b) There is no relationship between the area of a circle and its circumference.
(c) There is a constant relationship between the area of a circle and the square of its diameter.
(d) The proportion of diameter to area is never equal.
2. How many sides did the pentadecagon have, as presented by Euclid?
3. Exactly what limit is reached at a quartic equation?
(a) The limit of the decompressed cubic method.
(b) The limit of the Pythagorean Theorem.
(c) The limit of algebra.
(d) The limit of logical geometric proofs.
4. In what century did Archimedes live?
(a) Twelthf century A.D.
(b) Third century B.C.
(c) First century A.D,
(d) Nineteeth century A.D.
5. What allowed Cardano to justify publishing his book?
(a) He found del Ferro's orgininal solution to the cubic.
(b) He was dead, and the book was really published by his student.
(c) He was punished as a heretic,
(d) He found Fior's documents which spoke against Tartaglia.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who asked Tartaglia for his solution to cubic equations?
2. What was the same about Apollonius and Erosthanes?
3. What did Plato use his inspiration from Euclid for?
4. How do we know about Hippocrates proofs and theorems?
5. What was true about Heron's theorem as described by Dunham?
This section contains 363 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)