|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Cardano and the Solution of the Cubic.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Euclid do in his 48th proposition?
(a) Euclid demonstrated how to use the Pythagorean Theorem.
(b) Euclid proved the Pythagorean Theorem.
(c) Euclid demonstrated the faults of the Pythagorean Theorem.
(d) Euclid proved the converse of the Pythagorean Theorem.
2. What did Heron's advances put into historical perspective for Dunham?
(a) A shift in learning across continents.
(b) A shift in information flow that ignored socioeconomic order.
(c) A change in political theory across the globe.
(d) A change in learning foundations in the ancient scholarly universities.
3. What was Hippocrates's great advance to mathematics?
(a) He showed how to square a circle.
(b) He showed how to find the angles in a right triangle.
(c) He showed how to simplify the area of a triangle.
(d) He showed how to square a figure with curved sides.
4. Which of the following best describes Cardano's character?
5. Which of the following is true about pi, as described by Dunham.
(a) The measurement of pi is no longer a mystery as we have an exact number value in modern mathematics.
(b) The measurement of pi should not have been so difficult for Archimedes to demonstrate.
(c) The measurement of pi was redetermined after Archimedes's death.
(d) The measurement of pi is a challenge that continues into modern mathematics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is INCORRECT, and not used in Archimedes proof of his theory?
2. What did most of Heron's work deal with?
3. In what time period did mathematicians find a solution to cubic equations?
4. What do we know in modern times about Heron?
5. Who asked Tartaglia for his solution to cubic equations?
This section contains 425 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)