|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Cardano and the Solution of the Cubic.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was Neil's Abel?
(a) He proved that quintic equations cannot be solved using algebra.
(b) He demonstrated that Cardano's solution to the cubic was incorrect,
(c) He proved that to solve a quartic equation, one must use more than algebra.
(d) He demonstrated the modern version of the Pythagorean Theorem.
2. As described by Archimedes, what is always true about he diameter of the circle?
(a) It's equal to pi.
(b) It's equal to the square of the radius.
(c) It's always proportional to its circumference.
(d) It's never proportional to its circumference.
3. What is the name for determining the area of an enclosed space by constructing a square of equivalent area?
(a) Square root.
4. Who was the first of ancient philosophers to consider why geometric properties existed?
5. How many sides did the pentadecagon have, as presented by Euclid?
Short Answer Questions
1. That properties of specific shapes were early Egyptians aware of?
2. What did Euclid state about pi in Elements?
3. Which mathematician was first to take the challenge to solve cubic equations?
4. How did Lindeman prove his conclusion?
5. Where was Archimedes born?
This section contains 300 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)