|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Cardano and the Solution of the Cubic.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Hippocrates come from?
2. What shape was NOT demonstrated in the Elements as having a relationship to other shapes?
3. What was most useful about finding the square of a shape, before Hippocrates?
(a) It was useful in finding the area of oddly shaped pieces of land.
(b) It was useful in determining the distance between two points.
(c) It was useful in creating simple elevation maps,
(d) It was useful in finding the area of circles.
4. What did Dunham consider as Archimedes's "masterpiece"?
(a) Archimedes' work on determining a number value for pi.
(b) Archimedes' work on shperes, cones, and cylinders.
(c) Archimedes' work on volume to surface area ratios.
(d) Archimedes' work on determining angular measurements.
5. What was known about pi, during Archimedes' time?
(a) That is was the relationship between the diameter and circumference of a circle.
(b) That it was never the same number value for a given circle.
(c) That it could not be assigned a relationship between measurements in a circle.
(d) Nothing, the concept of pi was unknown.
Short Answer Questions
1. Exactly what limit is reached at a quartic equation?
2. What were the proofs in Elements based on?
3. What did Ferdinand Lindeman prove in 1882?
4. How did Archimedes demonstrate his theory of pi?
5. Which of the following was NOT defined by Euclid?
This section contains 380 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)