|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Cardano and the Solution of the Cubic.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Cardano take an oath to secrecy?
(a) It was the only way he could become a priest,
(b) It was the only way to get his book published.
(c) It was the only way to get Tartaglia's solution to cubic equations.
(d) It was to the only way to win the contest with Fior,
2. What was the bases of Hippocrates's proof ?
(a) Properties of triangles and semicircles.
(b) Properties of squares and cubes.
(c) Properties of area to volume measurements.
(d) Properties of points and lines.
3. What did Dunham claim about Archimedes's determination of a number value for pi?
(a) Archimedes's number could have been better if he had understood Euclid's work better,
(b) Archimedes's number was perfectly correct.
(c) Archimedes's number was not very accurate, considering the technology of his time.
(d) Archimedes's number was very good, considering he did not have a way to calculate square roots.
4. What did Apollonius work with in mathematics?
(a) He worked on conics.
(b) He discovered the algrebraic equation.
(c) He develped a way to measure the volume of a sphere.
(d) He worked on advanced algebra.
5. What was Euclid's definition of a prime number?
(a) Numbers which do not, and can not, contain a perfect number.
(b) Numbers which are divisible by 2.
(c) Numbers which contain an infinite number of composite numbers.
(d) Numbers which can only be divided by themselves and 1.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was del Ferro's student?
2. What did Hippocrates do that advanced mathematical methods?
3. What was true about Heron's theorem as described by Dunham?
4. What is the name for determining the area of an enclosed space by constructing a square of equivalent area?
5. According to Euclid, when is a triangle a right triangle?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)