|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Cardano and the Solution of the Cubic.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Dunham showed that Heron's proof could also be used as which of the following?
(a) A proof of Euclid's number theory
(b) A proof of Hippocrates' squared areas.
(c) A proof of Archimedes' number theory.
(d) A proof of the Pythagorean Theorem.
2. Which of the following is INCORRECT, and not used in Archimedes proof of his theory?
(a) Since the circumference can also be expressed as twice the radius multiplied by π, the area is 2πr²/2, or πr².
(b) Since the diameter of a circle is equal to the hypotenuse of the right triangle, the area of the triangle in his proof is 1/2 the radius times the circumference.
(c) Since the base of the triangle is equal to the circumference and the height is the radius, the area of the triangle in his proof is 1/2 the radius times the circumference.
(d) The area of a triangle is one half the base times the height.
3. What did Apollonius work with in mathematics?
(a) He worked on advanced algebra.
(b) He worked on conics.
(c) He develped a way to measure the volume of a sphere.
(d) He discovered the algrebraic equation.
4. Why did Cardano take an oath to secrecy?
(a) It was the only way he could become a priest,
(b) It was the only way to get Tartaglia's solution to cubic equations.
(c) It was to the only way to win the contest with Fior,
(d) It was the only way to get his book published.
5. Heron devised which of the following methods?
(a) A way to determine the volume in a sphere.
(b) A way to solve binomial equations.
(c) A way to determine the area of a triangle.
(d) A way to apply mathematics to public health.
Short Answer Questions
1. Heron's work referred to the work of what other famous scholar?
2. What was true about Heron's theorem as described by Dunham?
3. In what century did Archimedes live?
4. What range of values did Archimedes determine for pi?
5. Which of the following can not be solved using algebra?
This section contains 408 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)