|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Cardano and the Solution of the Cubic.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many definitions were stated in Elements?
2. How do we know about Hippocrates proofs and theorems?
(a) His books and publications.
(b) What we know is from references of later mathematicians.
(c) What is known from archived documents of his time.
(d) Mathematicians rewrote all of his proofs after his death,
3. How many sides did the pentadecagon have, as presented by Euclid?
4. Which was true of Euclid's number theory?
(a) It was incorrect, as proved by Plato.
(b) It was proven to the true by Hippocrates.
(c) It has an impact on modern math.
(d) It has been proven too basic to be useful.
5. What was true about Heron's theorem as described by Dunham?
(a) It was to determine the volume of a sphere without measuring the circumference.
(b) It was to determine the area of a circle by measuring a right triangle inside the circle.
(c) It was to solve equations were only two varibles are known.
(d) It was to find the area of a triangle when only the length of the sides are known.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following best describes Cardano's character?
2. What do we know in modern times about Heron?
3. What allowed Cardano to justify publishing his book?
4. According to Euclid, when is a triangle a right triangle?
5. What was true about Hippocrates's proof?
This section contains 390 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)