|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Cardano and the Solution of the Cubic.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who acted as the gate keepers of knowledge?
(a) Greek tradesman.
(b) Arabian scholars.
(c) Greek philosophers.
(d) Roman emporers.
2. What was true about Heron's theorem as described by Dunham?
(a) It was to determine the area of a circle by measuring a right triangle inside the circle.
(b) It was to determine the volume of a sphere without measuring the circumference.
(c) It was to find the area of a triangle when only the length of the sides are known.
(d) It was to solve equations were only two varibles are known.
3. What did most of Heron's work deal with?
(a) Practical mathematics applications.
(b) Philosophical questions on the origins of the universe.
(c) Theoretical mathematics.
(d) Practical solutions to public problems.
4. In what century did Archimedes live?
(a) Nineteeth century A.D.
(b) First century A.D,
(c) Third century B.C.
(d) Twelthf century A.D.
5. Which is one of the common notions presented in Elements?
(a) "The inverse of a line makes a circle."
(b) "Things which are equal to the same thing are also equal to each other."
(c) "Things with are equal have an inverse that is equal."
(d) "Points with equal values can be connected with a line of equal value."
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Hippocrates come from?
2. Which of the following is an example of a perfect number?
3. Which shapes as described by Euclid, inspired the Greek philosopher Plato?
4. Who was the first of ancient philosophers to consider why geometric properties existed?
5. As described by Dunham, what did Archimedes demonstrate first in his proof on pi?
This section contains 377 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)