|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Cardano and the Solution of the Cubic.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name for determining the area of an enclosed space by constructing a square of equivalent area?
(d) Square root.
2. What else, besides a solution to cubic equations, was in Cardano's book?
(a) A proof of the Pythagorean Theorem.
(b) A suggested method to depress all complex geometry.
(c) An alegrabic solution to quintic equations,
(d) A solution to quartic equations.
3. What did Euclid state about pi in Elements?
(a) The proportion of area to circumference is never equal.
(b) There is a constant relationship between the area of a circle and the square of its diameter.
(c) The proportion of diameter to area is never equal.
(d) There is no relationship between the area of a circle and its circumference.
4. What was true about Heron's theorem as described by Dunham?
(a) It was to determine the volume of a sphere without measuring the circumference.
(b) It was to find the area of a triangle when only the length of the sides are known.
(c) It was to determine the area of a circle by measuring a right triangle inside the circle.
(d) It was to solve equations were only two varibles are known.
5. Which of the following becomes an important definition in mathematics that was first presented in Elements?
(a) Parallel line.
(d) 180 degree angle.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following were an example of twin primes?
2. What did Plato use his inspiration from Euclid for?
3. How do we know about Hippocrates proofs and theorems?
4. What did the Pythagorean Theorem accomplish for mathematics?
5. Which is a geometric concept that humans have been aware of since the dawn of agriculture?
This section contains 355 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)