|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Heron's Formula for Triangular Area.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following becomes an important definition in mathematics that was first presented in Elements?
(b) 180 degree angle.
(d) Parallel line.
2. What did Dunham claim about Archimedes's determination of a number value for pi?
(a) Archimedes's number was perfectly correct.
(b) Archimedes's number was very good, considering he did not have a way to calculate square roots.
(c) Archimedes's number was not very accurate, considering the technology of his time.
(d) Archimedes's number could have been better if he had understood Euclid's work better,
3. Which of the following was NOT defined by Euclid?
(a) Odd numbers.
(b) Nominal numbers.
(c) Even numbers.
(d) Whole numbers.
4. Who was the author of the book Elements?
5. What did Dunham discuss for many pages in this chapter?
(a) Heron's complicated proof.
(b) Heron's political tendancy.
(c) Heron's origins of the universe.
(d) Heron's religious beliefs-
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of Euclid's postulates troubled many of the following generations of mathematicians?
2. What did Euclid state about pi in Elements?
3. Numbers whose divisor add up to itself, was considered which type of number according to Euclid?
4. Heron devised which of the following methods?
5. Who acted as the gate keepers of knowledge?
This section contains 302 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)