|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Heron's Formula for Triangular Area.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Hippocrates's great advance to mathematics?
(a) He showed how to square a circle.
(b) He showed how to find the angles in a right triangle.
(c) He showed how to simplify the area of a triangle.
(d) He showed how to square a figure with curved sides.
2. What did Dunham discuss for many pages in this chapter?
(a) Heron's origins of the universe.
(b) Heron's religious beliefs-
(c) Heron's complicated proof.
(d) Heron's political tendancy.
3. Which of Euclid's postulates troubled many of the following generations of mathematicians?
(a) Euclid's postulate on parallel lines.
(b) Euclid's postulate on creating an arc.
(c) Euclid's proof on right triangles.
(d) Euclid's postulate on right triangles.
4. Which of the following is an example of a postulate that must be accepted in Elements?
(a) It is possible to draw a circle that contains no lines.
(b) It is possible to draw a straight line between an infinite number of points.
(c) It is possible to draw an arc with any three points.
(d) It is possible to connect any two points with a line and make a circle.
5. What did Euclid state about pi in Elements?
(a) The proportion of diameter to area is never equal.
(b) The proportion of area to circumference is never equal.
(c) There is a constant relationship between the area of a circle and the square of its diameter.
(d) There is no relationship between the area of a circle and its circumference.
Short Answer Questions
1. After working on pi, what did Archimedes continue with in his study of mathematics?
2. What was the same about Apollonius and Erosthanes?
3. What do we know in modern times about Heron?
4. What did Heron's advances put into historical perspective for Dunham?
5. Which shapes as described by Euclid, inspired the Greek philosopher Plato?
This section contains 427 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)