|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Heron's Formula for Triangular Area.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was true about Hippocrates's proof?
(a) It was fairly easy and simple.
(b) The proof was exceedingly difficult and not understood at the time.
(c) The proof was easy if their was advanced technology available.
(d) It was useful for circles.
2. What did Hippocrates do that advanced mathematical methods?
(a) He built theorems based on sequencially more complex proofs.
(b) He created a new ways to disprove theories.
(c) He proved that mathematics can be applied in a unlogical order.
(d) He demonstrated that geometry does not have to be based on previous knowledge.
3. Which of the following were an example of twin primes?
(a) 11 and 13.
(b) 15 and 16.
(c) 19 and 22.
(d) 2 and 6.
4. Dunham showed that Heron's proof could also be used as which of the following?
(a) A proof of Hippocrates' squared areas.
(b) A proof of Archimedes' number theory.
(c) A proof of the Pythagorean Theorem.
(d) A proof of Euclid's number theory
5. What shape was NOT demonstrated in the Elements as having a relationship to other shapes?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Euclid, when is a triangle a right triangle?
2. Which of the following is false about the modern implications of Euclid's number theory?
3. What instruments did the Greeks use to square a shape?
4. Who was Eratosthanes?
5. Which was true of Euclid's number theory?
This section contains 379 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)