|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Heron's Formula for Triangular Area.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which is one of the common notions presented in Elements?
(a) "Things with are equal have an inverse that is equal."
(b) "The inverse of a line makes a circle."
(c) "Points with equal values can be connected with a line of equal value."
(d) "Things which are equal to the same thing are also equal to each other."
2. When was the work of these early thinkers rediscovered again in history?
(a) In the Renaissance.
(b) In the 20th century.
(c) In the Elizabethian age.
(d) In the 18th century.
3. Which of the following was NOT one of the things Dunham claimed was ingenious about Euclid's proof of the Pythagorean theorem?
(a) Euclid constructed squares on the sides of right triangles.
(b) Euclid used propositions about similar angles and parallel lines.
(c) Euclid used his own axioms and propositions to show relationships,
(d) Euclid stated that the diagonal hypotenuse of a right triangle is equal to the sums of the squares of the two legs.
4. Which of the following was NOT one of the basic definitions in Elements?
(c) Right angles.
(d) Straight Line.
5. What instruments did the Greeks use to square a shape?
(a) A small grid.
(b) A sphere and ruler.
(c) A compass and a ruled straight-edge.
(d) A pendulum.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many sides did the pentadecagon have, as presented by Euclid?
2. Which shapes as described by Euclid, inspired the Greek philosopher Plato?
3. What did Apollonius work with in mathematics?
4. Numbers whose divisor add up to itself, was considered which type of number according to Euclid?
5. What was Euclid's definition of a prime number?
This section contains 328 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)