|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Heron's Formula for Triangular Area.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the author of the book Elements?
2. Which of the following is an example of a perfect number?
3. According to Euclid, when is a triangle a right triangle?
(a) When a triangle has a side whose square is the sum of the squares of the two legs.
(b) When a triangle does not have a side which can be considered a hypotenuse.
(c) When a triangle has three sides whose squares are equal to the area of the triangle.
(d) When a triangle can be constructed with three unequal sides.
4. What did Apollonius work with in mathematics?
(a) He develped a way to measure the volume of a sphere.
(b) He worked on advanced algebra.
(c) He discovered the algrebraic equation.
(d) He worked on conics.
5. What is the name for determining the area of an enclosed space by constructing a square of equivalent area?
(c) Square root.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which is one of the common notions presented in Elements?
2. Which shapes as described by Euclid, inspired the Greek philosopher Plato?
3. According to Dunham, who was most able to collect knowledge from around the globe?
4. As described by Dunham, what did Archimedes demonstrate first in his proof on pi?
5. What shape was NOT demonstrated in the Elements as having a relationship to other shapes?
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)