|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Heron's Formula for Triangular Area.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who acted as the gate keepers of knowledge?
(a) Arabian scholars.
(b) Greek philosophers.
(c) Roman emporers.
(d) Greek tradesman.
2. What instruments did the Greeks use to square a shape?
(a) A small grid.
(b) A pendulum.
(c) A compass and a ruled straight-edge.
(d) A sphere and ruler.
3. In Elements, how many postulates must be accepted as given?
4. What did Apollonius work with in mathematics?
(a) He worked on advanced algebra.
(b) He worked on conics.
(c) He develped a way to measure the volume of a sphere.
(d) He discovered the algrebraic equation.
5. After working on pi, what did Archimedes continue with in his study of mathematics?
(a) He studied the relationship between ratios in triangles.
(b) He studied the volume to surface area ratios of cubes.
(c) He studied the volume and surface area of spheres, cones, and cylinders.
(d) He studied the relationship of sine to cosine.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Dunham claim about Archimedes's determination of a number value for pi?
2. Which of Euclid's postulates troubled many of the following generations of mathematicians?
3. What did Euclid do in his 48th proposition?
4. Which of the following were an example of twin primes?
5. What provided most of the content in the book Elements?
This section contains 296 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)