|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Heron's Formula for Triangular Area.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following could NOT be included as a step in Euclid's great theorem?
(a) Divide a infinite group of primes by the sum of their composites.
(b) If a new number is found to be composite, then it must have some prime as a divisor.
(c) After summation, the new number can be prime or composite.
(d) Take a finite group of primes and add them together, plus one.
2. Which shapes as described by Euclid, inspired the Greek philosopher Plato?
(a) Spheres and cones.
(b) Regular polyhedrons.
3. What did Euclid state about pi in Elements?
(a) There is a constant relationship between the area of a circle and the square of its diameter.
(b) The proportion of diameter to area is never equal.
(c) The proportion of area to circumference is never equal.
(d) There is no relationship between the area of a circle and its circumference.
4. Which of the following is an example of a perfect number?
5. What did Plato use his inspiration from Euclid for?
(a) To create a new theorem of algebra.
(b) To classify geometric shapes by their complexity.
(c) To prove Euclid's number theory was incorrect.
(d) To construct his theory on the shape of the Universe.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what century did Archimedes live?
2. Where did Hippocrates come from?
3. When was the work of these early thinkers rediscovered again in history?
4. What did the Pythagorean Theorem accomplish for mathematics?
5. What was known about pi, during Archimedes' time?
This section contains 335 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)