|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Heron's Formula for Triangular Area.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What provided most of the content in the book Elements?
2. Which of the following best describes Archimedes as discussed by Dunham?
(a) Mild-mannered researcher.
(b) Loud and arrogant.
(c) Absent-minded genius.
(d) Creative but stubborn.
3. According to Euclid, when is a triangle a right triangle?
(a) When a triangle has three sides whose squares are equal to the area of the triangle.
(b) When a triangle does not have a side which can be considered a hypotenuse.
(c) When a triangle can be constructed with three unequal sides.
(d) When a triangle has a side whose square is the sum of the squares of the two legs.
4. Heron devised which of the following methods?
(a) A way to determine the area of a triangle.
(b) A way to solve binomial equations.
(c) A way to apply mathematics to public health.
(d) A way to determine the volume in a sphere.
5. Which of the following was NOT one of Gauss' discoveries?
(a) That angles in a triangles can not add up to more than 180 degrees.
(b) "Non-euclidean" geometry.
(c) That there is no apparent contraction to the assumption that the sum of angles in a triangle can have fewer than 180 degrees.
(d) That under Euclid's definition parallel lines can intersect.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is an example of a postulate that must be accepted in Elements?
2. What did Apollonius work with in mathematics?
3. What was Euclid's definition of a prime number?
4. Which of Euclid's postulates troubled many of the following generations of mathematicians?
5. Which of the following was NOT defined by Euclid?
This section contains 388 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)