|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Heron's Formula for Triangular Area.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which words best describe how solid proofs were developed in Elements?
(a) Axiomatic framework.
(b) Simple arguments.
(c) Programmed order.
(d) Inverted scaffold.
2. What did Plato use his inspiration from Euclid for?
(a) To create a new theorem of algebra.
(b) To construct his theory on the shape of the Universe.
(c) To classify geometric shapes by their complexity.
(d) To prove Euclid's number theory was incorrect.
3. Heron's work referred to the work of what other famous scholar?
4. Which of the following could NOT be included as a step in Euclid's great theorem?
(a) Divide a infinite group of primes by the sum of their composites.
(b) Take a finite group of primes and add them together, plus one.
(c) After summation, the new number can be prime or composite.
(d) If a new number is found to be composite, then it must have some prime as a divisor.
5. Which is one of the common notions presented in Elements?
(a) "Things with are equal have an inverse that is equal."
(b) "The inverse of a line makes a circle."
(c) "Points with equal values can be connected with a line of equal value."
(d) "Things which are equal to the same thing are also equal to each other."
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the author of the book Elements?
2. Where was the modern number system developed?
3. Which of Euclid's postulates troubled many of the following generations of mathematicians?
4. Which is a geometric concept that humans have been aware of since the dawn of agriculture?
5. What was the same about Apollonius and Erosthanes?
This section contains 314 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)