|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Heron's Formula for Triangular Area.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is an example of a perfect number?
2. What did Ferdinand Lindeman prove in 1882?
(a) That the square of a circle can not be found with a compass and a straight-edge.
(b) That the square root of the hypotenuse of a right triangle can not be found.
(c) It is impossible to find the square of a semicircle.
(d) It is possible to find the square of a circle.
3. What was the same about Apollonius and Erosthanes?
(a) They were both mathematicians.
(b) They both studied the Universe.
(c) They both calculated the circumference of the earth.
(d) They were both born in the same year.
4. Dunham showed that Heron's proof could also be used as which of the following?
(a) A proof of Euclid's number theory
(b) A proof of the Pythagorean Theorem.
(c) A proof of Archimedes' number theory.
(d) A proof of Hippocrates' squared areas.
5. What did Dunham consider extraordinary about the Elements?
(a) The content was totally unique.
(b) How Hippocrates ordered the book.
(c) How geometric proofs were presented.
(d) The content was not based on previous authors' work.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Archimedes born?
2. What do we know in modern times about Heron?
3. What did Hippocrates do that advanced mathematical methods?
4. What is the name for determining the area of an enclosed space by constructing a square of equivalent area?
5. What was Euclid's definition of a prime number?
This section contains 350 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)