|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Euclid and the Infinitude of Primes.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following was an important proposition given by Euclid's number theory?
(a) Numbers from one to ten are only divisible by composite numbers.
(b) Any perfect number is divisible by some composite number.
(c) Any composite number is divisible by some prime number.
(d) Any even number is divisible by 3.
2. What is true about prime numbers?
(a) Prime numbers are not divisible by other numbers.
(b) Prime numbers can not exist in a finite series.
(c) Prime numbers can never be an odd number.
(d) That for every group of prime numbers, there exists at least one more prime.
3. Which of the following was one of Euclid's great theorems?
(a) There exists only infinite and whole numbers.
(b) There exists an finite number of prime numbers.
(c) There exists an infinite number of prime numbers.
(d) Prime numbers are more comples than discrete numbers.
4. Which of Euclid's postulates troubled many of the following generations of mathematicians?
(a) Euclid's postulate on parallel lines.
(b) Euclid's proof on right triangles.
(c) Euclid's postulate on creating an arc.
(d) Euclid's postulate on right triangles.
5. Which of the following was NOT one of the things Dunham claimed was ingenious about Euclid's proof of the Pythagorean theorem?
(a) Euclid constructed squares on the sides of right triangles.
(b) Euclid used propositions about similar angles and parallel lines.
(c) Euclid stated that the diagonal hypotenuse of a right triangle is equal to the sums of the squares of the two legs.
(d) Euclid used his own axioms and propositions to show relationships,
Short Answer Questions
1. What provided most of the content in the book Elements?
2. What did the Pythagorean Theorem accomplish for mathematics?
3. Which was true of Euclid's number theory?
4. Which of the following were an example of twin primes?
5. Which of the following was NOT one of Gauss' discoveries?
This section contains 391 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)