|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Euclid and the Infinitude of Primes.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Ferdinand Lindeman prove in 1882?
(a) It is impossible to find the square of a semicircle.
(b) That the square root of the hypotenuse of a right triangle can not be found.
(c) It is possible to find the square of a circle.
(d) That the square of a circle can not be found with a compass and a straight-edge.
2. What is the name for determining the area of an enclosed space by constructing a square of equivalent area?
(d) Square root.
3. Which of the following becomes an important definition in mathematics that was first presented in Elements?
(c) Parallel line.
(d) 180 degree angle.
4. What was the bases of Hippocrates's proof ?
(a) Properties of squares and cubes.
(b) Properties of area to volume measurements.
(c) Properties of triangles and semicircles.
(d) Properties of points and lines.
5. Which of the following is false about the modern implications of Euclid's number theory?
(a) Whether there are no odd perfect numbers is still not known.
(b) Euclid gave a good idea for how to construct even perfect numbers.
(c) Euclid's recipe for constructing even perfect numbers is incorrect.
(d) Great mathematicians continue to puzzle over some aspects of Euclid's number theory.
Short Answer Questions
1. That properties of specific shapes were early Egyptians aware of?
2. Which of the following was an important proposition given by Euclid's number theory?
3. According to Euclid, when is a triangle a right triangle?
4. Which words best describe how solid proofs were developed in Elements?
5. What was Hippocrates's great advance to mathematics?
This section contains 391 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)