|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Euclid and the Infinitude of Primes.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following was NOT one of Gauss' discoveries?
(a) That angles in a triangles can not add up to more than 180 degrees.
(b) "Non-euclidean" geometry.
(c) That under Euclid's definition parallel lines can intersect.
(d) That there is no apparent contraction to the assumption that the sum of angles in a triangle can have fewer than 180 degrees.
2. Which of the following is true in modern math about twin primes?
(a) We don't know if they are finite or infinite.
(b) They are not considered whole numbers.
(c) Their sum is always another prime number.
(d) They are infinite.
3. Which of the following was one of Euclid's great theorems?
(a) Prime numbers are more comples than discrete numbers.
(b) There exists an finite number of prime numbers.
(c) There exists only infinite and whole numbers.
(d) There exists an infinite number of prime numbers.
4. What shape was NOT demonstrated in the Elements as having a relationship to other shapes?
5. Which was true of Euclid's number theory?
(a) It was incorrect, as proved by Plato.
(b) It was proven to the true by Hippocrates.
(c) It has been proven too basic to be useful.
(d) It has an impact on modern math.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which shapes as described by Euclid, inspired the Greek philosopher Plato?
2. What is the name for determining the area of an enclosed space by constructing a square of equivalent area?
3. What was Hippocrates's great advance to mathematics?
4. What did Hippocrates do that advanced mathematical methods?
5. After Hippocrates, what shape did the Greeks attempt to square without success?
This section contains 342 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)