|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Euclid and the Infinitude of Primes.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which is a geometric concept that humans have been aware of since the dawn of agriculture?
(b) Metric system.
2. Which of the following was NOT one of the basic definitions in Elements?
(a) Straight Line.
(c) Right angles.
3. Which of the following was NOT defined by Euclid?
(a) Nominal numbers.
(b) Odd numbers.
(c) Whole numbers.
(d) Even numbers.
4. After Hippocrates, what shape did the Greeks attempt to square without success?
5. What did Plato use his inspiration from Euclid for?
(a) To construct his theory on the shape of the Universe.
(b) To create a new theorem of algebra.
(c) To prove Euclid's number theory was incorrect.
(d) To classify geometric shapes by their complexity.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were the proofs in Elements based on?
2. What did Dunham consider extraordinary about the Elements?
3. "Straight lines in the same plane that will never meet if extended forever" is a definition of what?
4. Numbers whose divisor add up to itself, was considered which type of number according to Euclid?
5. What did the Pythagorean Theorem accomplish for mathematics?
This section contains 242 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)