|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Euclid and the Infinitude of Primes.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the author of the book Elements?
2. What did Hippocrates do that advanced mathematical methods?
(a) He created a new ways to disprove theories.
(b) He proved that mathematics can be applied in a unlogical order.
(c) He built theorems based on sequencially more complex proofs.
(d) He demonstrated that geometry does not have to be based on previous knowledge.
3. Who was the first of ancient philosophers to consider why geometric properties existed?
4. What shape was NOT demonstrated in the Elements as having a relationship to other shapes?
5. Which of the following was an important proposition given by Euclid's number theory?
(a) Numbers from one to ten are only divisible by composite numbers.
(b) Any composite number is divisible by some prime number.
(c) Any perfect number is divisible by some composite number.
(d) Any even number is divisible by 3.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Dunham consider extraordinary about the Elements?
2. How many definitions were stated in Elements?
3. Which of the following was NOT one of Gauss' discoveries?
4. Which of the following is an example of a perfect number?
5. Which of the following was NOT one of the things Dunham claimed was ingenious about Euclid's proof of the Pythagorean theorem?
This section contains 325 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)