|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Euclid and the Infinitude of Primes.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. "Straight lines in the same plane that will never meet if extended forever" is a definition of what?
(b) Parallel lines.
(d) 180 degree angle.
2. Which of the following was an important proposition given by Euclid's number theory?
(a) Any even number is divisible by 3.
(b) Numbers from one to ten are only divisible by composite numbers.
(c) Any composite number is divisible by some prime number.
(d) Any perfect number is divisible by some composite number.
3. Which of the following was NOT defined by Euclid?
(a) Whole numbers.
(b) Nominal numbers.
(c) Odd numbers.
(d) Even numbers.
4. Which of the following was NOT one of the basic definitions in Elements?
(b) Straight Line.
(c) Right angles.
5. What was Euclid's definition of a prime number?
(a) Numbers which contain an infinite number of composite numbers.
(b) Numbers which do not, and can not, contain a perfect number.
(c) Numbers which can only be divided by themselves and 1.
(d) Numbers which are divisible by 2.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following could NOT be included as a step in Euclid's great theorem?
2. Which of the following is an example of a postulate that must be accepted in Elements?
3. Who was the first of ancient philosophers to consider why geometric properties existed?
4. What did Euclid do in his 48th proposition?
5. What was Hippocrates famous for?
This section contains 368 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)