|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Euclid and the Infinitude of Primes.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. "Straight lines in the same plane that will never meet if extended forever" is a definition of what?
(c) 180 degree angle.
(d) Parallel lines.
2. Which of the following was one of Euclid's great theorems?
(a) There exists an infinite number of prime numbers.
(b) There exists only infinite and whole numbers.
(c) There exists an finite number of prime numbers.
(d) Prime numbers are more comples than discrete numbers.
3. What did the Pythagorean Theorem accomplish for mathematics?
(a) The ability to find square roots.
(b) The ability to measure angles.
(c) The concept of providing a logical proof.
(d) The concept of constructing useful mathematics.
4. How do we know about Hippocrates proofs and theorems?
(a) His books and publications.
(b) What we know is from references of later mathematicians.
(c) What is known from archived documents of his time.
(d) Mathematicians rewrote all of his proofs after his death,
5. After Hippocrates, what shape did the Greeks attempt to square without success?
Short Answer Questions
1. That properties of specific shapes were early Egyptians aware of?
2. What name did Euclid give for numbers that could be divided by numbers other than themselves and one?
3. What did Euclid do in his 48th proposition?
4. How many sides did the pentadecagon have, as presented by Euclid?
5. What was Euclid's definition of a prime number?
This section contains 295 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)