|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Euclid and the Infinitude of Primes.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is an example of a perfect number?
2. What name did Euclid give for numbers that could be divided by numbers other than themselves and one?
(a) Perfect numbers.
(b) Discrete numbers.
(c) Composite numbers.
(d) Even numbers.
3. Who was the first of ancient philosophers to consider why geometric properties existed?
4. What shape was NOT demonstrated in the Elements as having a relationship to other shapes?
5. What did Hippocrates do that advanced mathematical methods?
(a) He built theorems based on sequencially more complex proofs.
(b) He demonstrated that geometry does not have to be based on previous knowledge.
(c) He proved that mathematics can be applied in a unlogical order.
(d) He created a new ways to disprove theories.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the bases of Hippocrates's proof ?
2. Which of the following becomes an important definition in mathematics that was first presented in Elements?
3. What was most useful about finding the square of a shape, before Hippocrates?
4. That properties of specific shapes were early Egyptians aware of?
5. "Straight lines in the same plane that will never meet if extended forever" is a definition of what?
This section contains 271 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)