|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Euclid's Proof of the Pythagorean Theorem.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. That properties of specific shapes were early Egyptians aware of?
(a) Right triangles.
(c) Irregular solids.
(d) Pi and the diameter of a circle.
2. How many definitions were stated in Elements?
3. Which is one of the common notions presented in Elements?
(a) "The inverse of a line makes a circle."
(b) "Points with equal values can be connected with a line of equal value."
(c) "Things with are equal have an inverse that is equal."
(d) "Things which are equal to the same thing are also equal to each other."
4. Who was the first of ancient philosophers to consider why geometric properties existed?
5. After Hippocrates, what shape did the Greeks attempt to square without success?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following becomes an important definition in mathematics that was first presented in Elements?
2. How did Lindeman prove his conclusion?
3. Who was the author of the book Elements?
4. What was Hippocrates's great advance to mathematics?
5. What was Hippocrates famous for?
This section contains 283 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)