|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Euclid's Proof of the Pythagorean Theorem.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. "Straight lines in the same plane that will never meet if extended forever" is a definition of what?
(a) Parallel lines.
(c) 180 degree angle.
2. Where did Hippocrates come from?
3. That properties of specific shapes were early Egyptians aware of?
(a) Pi and the diameter of a circle.
(b) Irregular solids.
(c) Right triangles.
4. What instruments did the Greeks use to square a shape?
(a) A small grid.
(b) A pendulum.
(c) A sphere and ruler.
(d) A compass and a ruled straight-edge.
5. Which of the following was NOT one of Gauss' discoveries?
(a) "Non-euclidean" geometry.
(b) That there is no apparent contraction to the assumption that the sum of angles in a triangle can have fewer than 180 degrees.
(c) That angles in a triangles can not add up to more than 180 degrees.
(d) That under Euclid's definition parallel lines can intersect.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Euclid do in his 48th proposition?
2. How do we know about Hippocrates proofs and theorems?
3. Which words best describe how solid proofs were developed in Elements?
4. What was the bases of Hippocrates's proof ?
5. Which of the following becomes an important definition in mathematics that was first presented in Elements?
This section contains 281 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)