|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Euclid's Proof of the Pythagorean Theorem.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was most useful about finding the square of a shape, before Hippocrates?
(a) It was useful in determining the distance between two points.
(b) It was useful in creating simple elevation maps,
(c) It was useful in finding the area of circles.
(d) It was useful in finding the area of oddly shaped pieces of land.
2. Which is one of the common notions presented in Elements?
(a) "Points with equal values can be connected with a line of equal value."
(b) "Things with are equal have an inverse that is equal."
(c) "The inverse of a line makes a circle."
(d) "Things which are equal to the same thing are also equal to each other."
3. What instruments did the Greeks use to square a shape?
(a) A small grid.
(b) A pendulum.
(c) A compass and a ruled straight-edge.
(d) A sphere and ruler.
4. How do we know about Hippocrates proofs and theorems?
(a) What is known from archived documents of his time.
(b) What we know is from references of later mathematicians.
(c) Mathematicians rewrote all of his proofs after his death,
(d) His books and publications.
5. What was the bases of Hippocrates's proof ?
(a) Properties of triangles and semicircles.
(b) Properties of points and lines.
(c) Properties of squares and cubes.
(d) Properties of area to volume measurements.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Gauss set out to prove?
2. What was true about Hippocrates's proof?
3. That properties of specific shapes were early Egyptians aware of?
4. What does the Pythagorean Theorem state?
5. Who was the author of the book Elements?
This section contains 391 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)