|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Euclid's Proof of the Pythagorean Theorem.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Hippocrates famous for?
(a) His proof on right triangles.
(b) His ability to construct circles without a compass.
(c) His proof defining gravity.
(d) His theorem on the quadrature of the lune.
2. Which of the following was NOT one of the things Dunham claimed was ingenious about Euclid's proof of the Pythagorean theorem?
(a) Euclid stated that the diagonal hypotenuse of a right triangle is equal to the sums of the squares of the two legs.
(b) Euclid constructed squares on the sides of right triangles.
(c) Euclid used propositions about similar angles and parallel lines.
(d) Euclid used his own axioms and propositions to show relationships,
3. That properties of specific shapes were early Egyptians aware of?
(b) Irregular solids.
(c) Pi and the diameter of a circle.
(d) Right triangles.
4. What is the name for determining the area of an enclosed space by constructing a square of equivalent area?
(d) Square root.
5. Which of Euclid's postulates troubled many of the following generations of mathematicians?
(a) Euclid's postulate on right triangles.
(b) Euclid's proof on right triangles.
(c) Euclid's postulate on creating an arc.
(d) Euclid's postulate on parallel lines.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the first of ancient philosophers to consider why geometric properties existed?
2. "Straight lines in the same plane that will never meet if extended forever" is a definition of what?
3. What did Gauss set out to prove?
4. Which of the following was NOT one of the basic definitions in Elements?
5. Which of the following was NOT one of Gauss' discoveries?
This section contains 338 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)