|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Euclid's Proof of the Pythagorean Theorem.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is an example of a postulate that must be accepted in Elements?
(a) It is possible to draw an arc with any three points.
(b) It is possible to draw a straight line between an infinite number of points.
(c) It is possible to draw a circle that contains no lines.
(d) It is possible to connect any two points with a line and make a circle.
2. What did Hippocrates do that advanced mathematical methods?
(a) He built theorems based on sequencially more complex proofs.
(b) He proved that mathematics can be applied in a unlogical order.
(c) He created a new ways to disprove theories.
(d) He demonstrated that geometry does not have to be based on previous knowledge.
3. "Straight lines in the same plane that will never meet if extended forever" is a definition of what?
(b) 180 degree angle.
(c) Parallel lines.
4. Who was the author of the book Elements?
5. According to Euclid, when is a triangle a right triangle?
(a) When a triangle has a side whose square is the sum of the squares of the two legs.
(b) When a triangle can be constructed with three unequal sides.
(c) When a triangle has three sides whose squares are equal to the area of the triangle.
(d) When a triangle does not have a side which can be considered a hypotenuse.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Hippocrates famous for?
2. Where did Hippocrates come from?
3. Which is one of the common notions presented in Elements?
4. How did Lindeman prove his conclusion?
5. Which words best describe how solid proofs were developed in Elements?
This section contains 386 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)