|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Euclid's Proof of the Pythagorean Theorem.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What instruments did the Greeks use to square a shape?
(a) A small grid.
(b) A sphere and ruler.
(c) A pendulum.
(d) A compass and a ruled straight-edge.
2. What was Hippocrates famous for?
(a) His theorem on the quadrature of the lune.
(b) His ability to construct circles without a compass.
(c) His proof defining gravity.
(d) His proof on right triangles.
3. Which is a geometric concept that humans have been aware of since the dawn of agriculture?
(d) Metric system.
4. Which is one of the common notions presented in Elements?
(a) "Things with are equal have an inverse that is equal."
(b) "Points with equal values can be connected with a line of equal value."
(c) "Things which are equal to the same thing are also equal to each other."
(d) "The inverse of a line makes a circle."
5. Which words best describe how solid proofs were developed in Elements?
(a) Simple arguments.
(b) Inverted scaffold.
(c) Programmed order.
(d) Axiomatic framework.
Short Answer Questions
1. That properties of specific shapes were early Egyptians aware of?
2. What did the Pythagorean Theorem accomplish for mathematics?
3. What did Euclid do in his 48th proposition?
4. Which of the following was NOT one of the things Dunham claimed was ingenious about Euclid's proof of the Pythagorean theorem?
5. According to Euclid, when is a triangle a right triangle?
This section contains 380 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)