|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Euclid's Proof of the Pythagorean Theorem.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following was NOT one of the basic definitions in Elements?
(b) Right angles.
(c) Straight Line.
2. Which of the following becomes an important definition in mathematics that was first presented in Elements?
(a) Parallel line.
(c) 180 degree angle.
3. How did Lindeman prove his conclusion?
(a) Lindeman proved that all numbers are constructable with a compass and ruler.
(b) Lindeman proved that square roots are irrational numbers.
(c) Lindeman proved that some numbers are constructable without the use of a compass.
(d) Lindeman proved that some numbers are not constructable with only a compass and straight-edge.
4. Which words best describe how solid proofs were developed in Elements?
(a) Programmed order.
(b) Axiomatic framework.
(c) Inverted scaffold.
(d) Simple arguments.
5. What did Gauss set out to prove?
(a) That a right angle is always equal to 90 degrees.
(b) That a circle can have less than 360 degrees.
(c) That Euclid's postulate on straight lines was incorrect.
(d) That the sum of the angles in a triangle is 180 degrees.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Hippocrates, what shape did the Greeks attempt to square without success?
2. That properties of specific shapes were early Egyptians aware of?
3. What was Hippocrates famous for?
4. What did Hippocrates do that advanced mathematical methods?
5. What was the bases of Hippocrates's proof ?
This section contains 301 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)