|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Euclid's Proof of the Pythagorean Theorem.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which is one of the common notions presented in Elements?
(a) "Things with are equal have an inverse that is equal."
(b) "Points with equal values can be connected with a line of equal value."
(c) "The inverse of a line makes a circle."
(d) "Things which are equal to the same thing are also equal to each other."
2. After Hippocrates, what shape did the Greeks attempt to square without success?
3. "Straight lines in the same plane that will never meet if extended forever" is a definition of what?
(a) Parallel lines.
(d) 180 degree angle.
4. Who was the author of the book Elements?
5. What does the Pythagorean Theorem state?
(a) For any triangle the sum of the legs squared is equal to the length of the hypotenuse.
(b) For any right triangle the diagonal side is equal to the sum of the legs.
(c) For any right triangle the square of the diagonal side is equal to the sum of the squares of the two legs.
(d) For any triangle the sqaured sum of the legs is equal to half the hypotenuse.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Elements, how many postulates must be accepted as given?
2. Who was the first of ancient philosophers to consider why geometric properties existed?
3. Which of the following was NOT one of the things Dunham claimed was ingenious about Euclid's proof of the Pythagorean theorem?
4. What did the Pythagorean Theorem accomplish for mathematics?
5. What was most useful about finding the square of a shape, before Hippocrates?
This section contains 369 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)