|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Euclid's Proof of the Pythagorean Theorem.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was true about Hippocrates's proof?
(a) The proof was exceedingly difficult and not understood at the time.
(b) It was fairly easy and simple.
(c) It was useful for circles.
(d) The proof was easy if their was advanced technology available.
2. How do we know about Hippocrates proofs and theorems?
(a) Mathematicians rewrote all of his proofs after his death,
(b) His books and publications.
(c) What we know is from references of later mathematicians.
(d) What is known from archived documents of his time.
3. Which is one of the common notions presented in Elements?
(a) "The inverse of a line makes a circle."
(b) "Things which are equal to the same thing are also equal to each other."
(c) "Things with are equal have an inverse that is equal."
(d) "Points with equal values can be connected with a line of equal value."
4. What did Ferdinand Lindeman prove in 1882?
(a) That the square of a circle can not be found with a compass and a straight-edge.
(b) It is possible to find the square of a circle.
(c) That the square root of the hypotenuse of a right triangle can not be found.
(d) It is impossible to find the square of a semicircle.
5. What is the name for determining the area of an enclosed space by constructing a square of equivalent area?
(c) Square root.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following was NOT one of Gauss' discoveries?
2. What did Hippocrates do that advanced mathematical methods?
3. What was most useful about finding the square of a shape, before Hippocrates?
4. What does the Pythagorean Theorem state?
5. According to Euclid, when is a triangle a right triangle?
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)