|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Euclid's Proof of the Pythagorean Theorem.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Hippocrates, what shape did the Greeks attempt to square without success?
2. What provided most of the content in the book Elements?
3. What did the Pythagorean Theorem accomplish for mathematics?
(a) The concept of constructing useful mathematics.
(b) The ability to find square roots.
(c) The ability to measure angles.
(d) The concept of providing a logical proof.
4. What was Hippocrates's great advance to mathematics?
(a) He showed how to simplify the area of a triangle.
(b) He showed how to find the angles in a right triangle.
(c) He showed how to square a figure with curved sides.
(d) He showed how to square a circle.
5. What was true about Hippocrates's proof?
(a) It was useful for circles.
(b) The proof was exceedingly difficult and not understood at the time.
(c) It was fairly easy and simple.
(d) The proof was easy if their was advanced technology available.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which is one of the common notions presented in Elements?
2. Which of the following becomes an important definition in mathematics that was first presented in Elements?
3. Where did Hippocrates come from?
4. Which of Euclid's postulates troubled many of the following generations of mathematicians?
5. Which words best describe how solid proofs were developed in Elements?
This section contains 283 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)