|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Euclid's Proof of the Pythagorean Theorem.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What provided most of the content in the book Elements?
2. That properties of specific shapes were early Egyptians aware of?
(b) Irregular solids.
(c) Pi and the diameter of a circle.
(d) Right triangles.
3. How do we know about Hippocrates proofs and theorems?
(a) What we know is from references of later mathematicians.
(b) His books and publications.
(c) Mathematicians rewrote all of his proofs after his death,
(d) What is known from archived documents of his time.
4. Which of the following is an example of a postulate that must be accepted in Elements?
(a) It is possible to draw a circle that contains no lines.
(b) It is possible to draw an arc with any three points.
(c) It is possible to connect any two points with a line and make a circle.
(d) It is possible to draw a straight line between an infinite number of points.
5. Who was the author of the book Elements?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was true about Hippocrates's proof?
2. What did Dunham consider extraordinary about the Elements?
3. What instruments did the Greeks use to square a shape?
4. Who was the first of ancient philosophers to consider why geometric properties existed?
5. Which of the following becomes an important definition in mathematics that was first presented in Elements?
This section contains 289 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)