|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Euclid's Proof of the Pythagorean Theorem.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the bases of Hippocrates's proof ?
(a) Properties of triangles and semicircles.
(b) Properties of squares and cubes.
(c) Properties of points and lines.
(d) Properties of area to volume measurements.
2. Which words best describe how solid proofs were developed in Elements?
(a) Programmed order.
(b) Axiomatic framework.
(c) Simple arguments.
(d) Inverted scaffold.
3. What did Dunham consider extraordinary about the Elements?
(a) The content was totally unique.
(b) How Hippocrates ordered the book.
(c) How geometric proofs were presented.
(d) The content was not based on previous authors' work.
4. "Straight lines in the same plane that will never meet if extended forever" is a definition of what?
(a) Parallel lines.
(d) 180 degree angle.
5. What did the Pythagorean Theorem accomplish for mathematics?
(a) The ability to find square roots.
(b) The ability to measure angles.
(c) The concept of constructing useful mathematics.
(d) The concept of providing a logical proof.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was most useful about finding the square of a shape, before Hippocrates?
2. How many definitions were stated in Elements?
3. What was Hippocrates's great advance to mathematics?
4. After Hippocrates, what shape did the Greeks attempt to square without success?
5. What did Hippocrates do that advanced mathematical methods?
This section contains 309 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)