|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Euclid's Proof of the Pythagorean Theorem.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Hippocrates do that advanced mathematical methods?
(a) He proved that mathematics can be applied in a unlogical order.
(b) He created a new ways to disprove theories.
(c) He demonstrated that geometry does not have to be based on previous knowledge.
(d) He built theorems based on sequencially more complex proofs.
2. In Elements, how many postulates must be accepted as given?
3. What was Hippocrates famous for?
(a) His proof defining gravity.
(b) His ability to construct circles without a compass.
(c) His proof on right triangles.
(d) His theorem on the quadrature of the lune.
4. Which of Euclid's postulates troubled many of the following generations of mathematicians?
(a) Euclid's postulate on right triangles.
(b) Euclid's postulate on parallel lines.
(c) Euclid's proof on right triangles.
(d) Euclid's postulate on creating an arc.
5. That properties of specific shapes were early Egyptians aware of?
(a) Right triangles.
(b) Irregular solids.
(c) Pi and the diameter of a circle.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the bases of Hippocrates's proof ?
2. What did Euclid do in his 48th proposition?
3. Where did Hippocrates come from?
4. What was Hippocrates's great advance to mathematics?
5. What is the name for determining the area of an enclosed space by constructing a square of equivalent area?
This section contains 291 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)