Eight Week Quiz G
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Cantor and the Transfinite Realm.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was aleph naught?
(a) A symbol to state the sum of a series.
(b) A method to numerate terms.
(c) A method to determine the sum of a series.
(d) A symbol to represent the number of items in a set.
2. What were the proofs in Elements based on?
(a) Lindeman's method.
(b) Novel notions.
(c) Ancient greek geometry.
(d) Basic definitions.
3. What is the sum of the series 1 + 1/2³ + 1/3³ + 1/4³ ... 1/k³ . . .?
(d) Nobody has determined the sum.
4. Which city was the center of thinking and learning in Third century BC?
5. What did most of 19th century mathematics focus on, as highlighted by Dunham?
(b) The immediately practical.
(c) The theoretical.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following was NOT one of the basic definitions in Elements?
2. To how many decimal places did Newton determine the number for pi?
3. Which of the following could NOT be included as a step in Euclid's great theorem?
4. What did Cantor find after extending the continuum between 0 and 1 into two dimensions?
5. Who was del Ferro's student?
This section contains 262 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)