|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Cardano and the Solution of the Cubic.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following best describes Cardano's character?
2. What instruments did the Greeks use to square a shape?
(a) A compass and a ruled straight-edge.
(b) A small grid.
(c) A pendulum.
(d) A sphere and ruler.
3. Dunham showed that Heron's proof could also be used as which of the following?
(a) A proof of Euclid's number theory
(b) A proof of the Pythagorean Theorem.
(c) A proof of Hippocrates' squared areas.
(d) A proof of Archimedes' number theory.
4. What name did Euclid give for numbers that could be divided by numbers other than themselves and one?
(a) Perfect numbers.
(b) Composite numbers.
(c) Discrete numbers.
(d) Even numbers.
5. In what time period did mathematicians find a solution to cubic equations?
(a) Fifteen century.
(b) Twentieth century.
(c) Thirteenth century.
(d) Seventeeth century.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the bases of Hippocrates's proof ?
2. After working on pi, what did Archimedes continue with in his study of mathematics?
3. Which is one of the common notions presented in Elements?
4. What was the title of Cardano's book which contained the solution to the cubic?
5. Where was Archimedes born?
This section contains 284 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)