Eight Week Quiz C
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Heron's Formula for Triangular Area.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was true about Heron's theorem as described by Dunham?
(a) It was to determine the volume of a sphere without measuring the circumference.
(b) It was to find the area of a triangle when only the length of the sides are known.
(c) It was to solve equations were only two varibles are known.
(d) It was to determine the area of a circle by measuring a right triangle inside the circle.
2. What is the name for determining the area of an enclosed space by constructing a square of equivalent area?
(c) Square root.
3. Which of the following is true about pi, as described by Dunham.
(a) The measurement of pi should not have been so difficult for Archimedes to demonstrate.
(b) The measurement of pi was redetermined after Archimedes's death.
(c) The measurement of pi is no longer a mystery as we have an exact number value in modern mathematics.
(d) The measurement of pi is a challenge that continues into modern mathematics.
4. What did Gauss set out to prove?
(a) That a circle can have less than 360 degrees.
(b) That Euclid's postulate on straight lines was incorrect.
(c) That the sum of the angles in a triangle is 180 degrees.
(d) That a right angle is always equal to 90 degrees.
5. What was Eratosthanes most famous for?
(a) He showed that the Earth must be a sphere.
(b) He developed a simple way to find prime numbers and for determining the circumference of the Earth.
(c) He showed that there are no even prime numbers.
(d) He developed a way to navigate using logitude and latitude.
Short Answer Questions
1. What instruments did the Greeks use to square a shape?
2. Which of the following was NOT true about Archimedes, according to Dunham?
3. Which of the following was NOT one of the basic definitions in Elements?
4. Heron's work referred to the work of what other famous scholar?
5. Which of the following is an example of a perfect number?
This section contains 374 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)