Eight Week Quiz A
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Euclid's Proof of the Pythagorean Theorem.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Euclid do in his 48th proposition?
(a) Euclid proved the Pythagorean Theorem.
(b) Euclid proved the converse of the Pythagorean Theorem.
(c) Euclid demonstrated the faults of the Pythagorean Theorem.
(d) Euclid demonstrated how to use the Pythagorean Theorem.
2. What does the Pythagorean Theorem state?
(a) For any triangle the sqaured sum of the legs is equal to half the hypotenuse.
(b) For any right triangle the square of the diagonal side is equal to the sum of the squares of the two legs.
(c) For any triangle the sum of the legs squared is equal to the length of the hypotenuse.
(d) For any right triangle the diagonal side is equal to the sum of the legs.
3. "Straight lines in the same plane that will never meet if extended forever" is a definition of what?
(c) 180 degree angle.
(d) Parallel lines.
4. What was Hippocrates's great advance to mathematics?
(a) He showed how to square a figure with curved sides.
(b) He showed how to find the angles in a right triangle.
(c) He showed how to square a circle.
(d) He showed how to simplify the area of a triangle.
5. Which of the following becomes an important definition in mathematics that was first presented in Elements?
(a) Parallel line.
(b) 180 degree angle.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the Pythagorean Theorem accomplish for mathematics?
2. How many definitions were stated in Elements?
3. What was Hippocrates famous for?
4. What provided most of the content in the book Elements?
5. After Hippocrates, what shape did the Greeks attempt to square without success?
This section contains 306 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)