|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through A Sampler of Euler's Number Theory.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following demonstrates the successive squared denominator series?
(a) 1 + 1/2 + 1/3 + 1/4 + 1/5 . . . 1/1000 . . .
(b) 1 + 1/2 + 3/4 + 4/5 . . .
(c) 1 + 1/4 + 1/9 + 1/16 . . .
(d) 1 + 1/2 + 1/6 + 1/10 + 1/15 . . .
2. Where did Newton go to school before he went to Cambridge?
(a) Cambridge Prep.
(b) Oxford Grammar School.
(c) The King's School.
(d) Charles II Grammar School.
3. Where did Euler study at the age of 20?
(a) The Academy in St. Petersburg.
(d) University of Moscow.
4. To how many decimal places did Newton determine the number for pi?
(a) Nine places.
(b) Twelve places.
(c) Three places.
(d) Eight places.
5. In what area was Gauss especially interested?
(a) The elements of number theory.
(b) The circumference of Earth.
(c) The proof of the infinite series.
(d) The elements of geometry.
Short Answer Questions
1. Heron devised which of the following methods?
2. In the Bernoulli's time, what was the current definition of a series?
3. Where was Archimedes born?
4. Who were Johann and Jakob Bernoulli?
5. How did Archimedes demonstrate his theory of pi?
This section contains 303 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)