|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through A Sampler of Euler's Number Theory.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What range of values did Archimedes determine for pi?
(a) Between 3 10/11 and 3 1/7.
(b) Between 3 and 4.
(c) Between 3 1/2 and 3 5/8.
(d) Between 3 and 3 1/2.
2. On who's work did Euler base his number theory?
3. What did Apollonius work with in mathematics?
(a) He worked on conics.
(b) He worked on advanced algebra.
(c) He develped a way to measure the volume of a sphere.
(d) He discovered the algrebraic equation.
4. Dunham showed that Heron's proof could also be used as which of the following?
(a) A proof of Hippocrates' squared areas.
(b) A proof of Euclid's number theory
(c) A proof of the Pythagorean Theorem.
(d) A proof of Archimedes' number theory.
5. What does the Pythagorean Theorem state?
(a) For any triangle the sum of the legs squared is equal to the length of the hypotenuse.
(b) For any right triangle the diagonal side is equal to the sum of the legs.
(c) For any right triangle the square of the diagonal side is equal to the sum of the squares of the two legs.
(d) For any triangle the sqaured sum of the legs is equal to half the hypotenuse.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which mathematician was first to take the challenge to solve cubic equations?
2. What was the same about the series proposed by Leibniz and the series proposed by Bernoulli?
3. What else, besides a solution to cubic equations, was in Cardano's book?
4. Which name does NOT belong?
5. What was true when Euler used n = 5 in the statement 2²ⁿ + 1?
This section contains 320 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)