|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through A Sampler of Euler's Number Theory.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did most of Heron's work deal with?
(a) Theoretical mathematics.
(b) Practical solutions to public problems.
(c) Practical mathematics applications.
(d) Philosophical questions on the origins of the universe.
2. Who were Johann and Jakob Bernoulli?
(a) Cousins and students with Leibniz in Paris.
(b) Cousins and students with Newton at Cambridge.
(c) Twin brothers and students of Newton.
(d) Brothers and students of Leibniz.
3. Who was Eratosthanes?
(a) He was the first to study political sciences.
(b) He was a teacher and philosopher.
(c) He was the chief librarian, and a mathematician.
(d) He was a mathematician, and leading doctor.
4. Which is one of the common notions presented in Elements?
(a) "Things with are equal have an inverse that is equal."
(b) "The inverse of a line makes a circle."
(c) "Points with equal values can be connected with a line of equal value."
(d) "Things which are equal to the same thing are also equal to each other."
5. How did Gauss feel about his best work?
(a) He was confident that it would change mathematics.
(b) He was uncertain if it was useful.
(c) He was unceratin if it would be accepted by his collegues.
(d) He was confident that his students would find it of great importance.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the center of mathematical thinking shift to after Italy?
2. Which of the following was one of Gauss' early discoveries?
3. Which of the following is INCORRECT, and not used in Archimedes proof of his theory?
4. What were the proofs in Elements based on?
5. What didn't Euler attempt?
This section contains 410 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)