|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through A Sampler of Euler's Number Theory.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was del Ferro's student?
(a) Luca Pacioli.
(b) Antonio Fior.
(c) Niccolo Fontana.
(d) Gerolamo Cardano.
2. Which of the following was NOT one of the things Dunham claimed was ingenious about Euclid's proof of the Pythagorean theorem?
(a) Euclid constructed squares on the sides of right triangles.
(b) Euclid stated that the diagonal hypotenuse of a right triangle is equal to the sums of the squares of the two legs.
(c) Euclid used his own axioms and propositions to show relationships,
(d) Euclid used propositions about similar angles and parallel lines.
3. What range of values did Archimedes determine for pi?
(a) Between 3 and 4.
(b) Between 3 and 3 1/2.
(c) Between 3 1/2 and 3 5/8.
(d) Between 3 10/11 and 3 1/7.
4. What was the title of Cardano's book which contained the solution to the cubic?
(b) Ars Magna.
(c) La Magnifica.
5. Which of the following was one of Gauss' early discoveries?
(a) A method to simplify Newton's calulus.
(b) A demonstration of the sum of the series 1 + 1/2³ + 1/3³ + 1/4³ . . . 1/k³ . .
(c) A proof that the Pythagorean Theorem was correct.
(d) A way to construct a regular 17-sided polygon.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which word best describes Newton's childhood?
2. What did Plato use his inspiration from Euclid for?
3. What was most noticeable about Euler at a young age?
4. Heron's work referred to the work of what other famous scholar?
5. What did Gauss construct?
This section contains 305 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)