|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through A Sampler of Euler's Number Theory.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Hippocrates's great advance to mathematics?
(a) He showed how to square a figure with curved sides.
(b) He showed how to simplify the area of a triangle.
(c) He showed how to find the angles in a right triangle.
(d) He showed how to square a circle.
2. What hindered Euler's work as he grew older?
(a) His increasing blindness.
(b) His hearing was getting worse.
(c) He had very bad arthritis.
(d) He had a stroke.
3. In his later life, what position did Isaac Newton hold?
(a) Angelican father.
(b) Warden of the Mint.
(c) Principle science advisor to Charles II.
(d) Professor of philosophy in Paris.
4. What allowed Cardano to justify publishing his book?
(a) He was dead, and the book was really published by his student.
(b) He was punished as a heretic,
(c) He found Fior's documents which spoke against Tartaglia.
(d) He found del Ferro's orgininal solution to the cubic.
5. What else, besides a solution to cubic equations, was in Cardano's book?
(a) A suggested method to depress all complex geometry.
(b) A proof of the Pythagorean Theorem.
(c) A solution to quartic equations.
(d) An alegrabic solution to quintic equations,
Short Answer Questions
1. Which words best describe how solid proofs were developed in Elements?
2. Which of the following was NOT true about Archimedes, according to Dunham?
3. Which of the following becomes an important definition in mathematics that was first presented in Elements?
4. What did Heron's advances put into historical perspective for Dunham?
5. Who encourages Newton during his studies at Cambridge?
This section contains 328 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)