|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through A Sampler of Euler's Number Theory.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What hindered Euler's work as he grew older?
(a) His hearing was getting worse.
(b) He had very bad arthritis.
(c) His increasing blindness.
(d) He had a stroke.
2. Which of the following did Dunham concentrate on as one of Newton's great advances?
(a) Quadratic equation.
(b) Area of a sphere.
(c) Binomial theorem.
(d) Quintic theorem.
3. What did the Pythagorean Theorem accomplish for mathematics?
(a) The ability to find square roots.
(b) The ability to measure angles.
(c) The concept of providing a logical proof.
(d) The concept of constructing useful mathematics.
4. What was true about Heron's theorem as described by Dunham?
(a) It was to solve equations were only two varibles are known.
(b) It was to determine the area of a circle by measuring a right triangle inside the circle.
(c) It was to determine the volume of a sphere without measuring the circumference.
(d) It was to find the area of a triangle when only the length of the sides are known.
5. Which name does NOT belong?
(a) Renee Descartes.
(b) John Napier.
(c) Blaise Pascal.
(d) Francois Viete
Short Answer Questions
1. Who's method did Tartaglia's challenger use in the contest to solve cubic equations?
2. Which of the following best describes Archimedes as discussed by Dunham?
3. Which words best describe how solid proofs were developed in Elements?
4. After working on pi, what did Archimedes continue with in his study of mathematics?
5. Which of the following were an example of twin primes?
This section contains 291 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)