|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through A Sampler of Euler's Number Theory.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Hippocrates's great advance to mathematics?
(a) He showed how to find the angles in a right triangle.
(b) He showed how to square a figure with curved sides.
(c) He showed how to simplify the area of a triangle.
(d) He showed how to square a circle.
2. Which of the following was NOT one of Gauss' discoveries?
(a) That angles in a triangles can not add up to more than 180 degrees.
(b) That under Euclid's definition parallel lines can intersect.
(c) "Non-euclidean" geometry.
(d) That there is no apparent contraction to the assumption that the sum of angles in a triangle can have fewer than 180 degrees.
3. What sum did Euler find for the series?
(c) The sum was infinite.
4. Who wrote a treatise that supposed that cubic equations may be impossible to solve?
(a) Scipione del Ferro.
(b) Luca Pacioli.
(c) Niccolo Fontana.
(d) Gerolamo Cardano.
5. Which of the following was an important proposition given by Euclid's number theory?
(a) Any perfect number is divisible by some composite number.
(b) Any even number is divisible by 3.
(c) Any composite number is divisible by some prime number.
(d) Numbers from one to ten are only divisible by composite numbers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Heron devised which of the following methods?
2. Which of the following becomes an important definition in mathematics that was first presented in Elements?
3. In what century did Archimedes live?
4. What was Euclid's definition of a prime number?
5. How did Lindeman prove his conclusion?
This section contains 361 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)