|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through A Sampler of Euler's Number Theory.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who asked Tartaglia for his solution to cubic equations?
2. Who encourages Newton during his studies at Cambridge?
(a) Henry Stokes.
(b) Henry Briggs.
(c) John Napier.
(d) Isaac Barrow.
3. Which of the following is false about the modern implications of Euclid's number theory?
(a) Euclid's recipe for constructing even perfect numbers is incorrect.
(b) Euclid gave a good idea for how to construct even perfect numbers.
(c) Whether there are no odd perfect numbers is still not known.
(d) Great mathematicians continue to puzzle over some aspects of Euclid's number theory.
4. Which of the following was one of Gauss' early discoveries?
(a) A way to construct a regular 17-sided polygon.
(b) A method to simplify Newton's calulus.
(c) A demonstration of the sum of the series 1 + 1/2³ + 1/3³ + 1/4³ . . . 1/k³ . .
(d) A proof that the Pythagorean Theorem was correct.
5. What did the Pythagorean Theorem accomplish for mathematics?
(a) The concept of providing a logical proof.
(b) The concept of constructing useful mathematics.
(c) The ability to measure angles.
(d) The ability to find square roots.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name for determining the area of an enclosed space by constructing a square of equivalent area?
2. What else, besides a solution to cubic equations, was in Cardano's book?
3. What is the sum of the series 1 + 1/2³ + 1/3³ + 1/4³ ... 1/k³ . . .?
4. Where did Hippocrates come from?
5. Where was the modern number system developed?
This section contains 263 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)