|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through A Sampler of Euler's Number Theory.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following was an important proposition given by Euclid's number theory?
(a) Any composite number is divisible by some prime number.
(b) Numbers from one to ten are only divisible by composite numbers.
(c) Any perfect number is divisible by some composite number.
(d) Any even number is divisible by 3.
2. In what time period did mathematicians find a solution to cubic equations?
(a) Thirteenth century.
(b) Seventeeth century.
(c) Twentieth century.
(d) Fifteen century.
3. Who was Euler's teacher?
(a) Isaac Newton.
(b) Jakob Bernoulli.
(c) Johann Bernoulli.
(d) Gottfried Leibniz.
4. What was described as true about the series 1 + 1/2 + 1/6 + 1/10 + 1/15 + 1/21?
(a) It's a convergent series of cubic numbers.
(b) It's a divergent series squared numbers.
(c) It's a divergent series with a sum of 2.
(d) It's a convergent series of triangular numbers.
5. Which of Euclid's postulates troubled many of the following generations of mathematicians?
(a) Euclid's proof on right triangles.
(b) Euclid's postulate on right triangles.
(c) Euclid's postulate on creating an arc.
(d) Euclid's postulate on parallel lines.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the Pythagorean Theorem accomplish for mathematics?
2. What did Dunham consider extraordinary about the Elements?
3. What did Euclid do in his 48th proposition?
4. Which of the following was one of Gauss' early discoveries?
5. Where was Neil's Abel from?
This section contains 301 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)