|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through A Sampler of Euler's Number Theory.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who challenged Tartaglia to a contest to solve cubic equations?
(b) del Ferro.
2. What was most useful about finding the square of a shape, before Hippocrates?
(a) It was useful in creating simple elevation maps,
(b) It was useful in finding the area of circles.
(c) It was useful in finding the area of oddly shaped pieces of land.
(d) It was useful in determining the distance between two points.
3. What were the proofs in Elements based on?
(a) Novel notions.
(b) Basic definitions.
(c) Ancient greek geometry.
(d) Lindeman's method.
4. After working on pi, what did Archimedes continue with in his study of mathematics?
(a) He studied the relationship of sine to cosine.
(b) He studied the relationship between ratios in triangles.
(c) He studied the volume to surface area ratios of cubes.
(d) He studied the volume and surface area of spheres, cones, and cylinders.
5. What name did Euclid give for numbers that could be divided by numbers other than themselves and one?
(a) Discrete numbers.
(b) Composite numbers.
(c) Even numbers.
(d) Perfect numbers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Heron's advances put into historical perspective for Dunham?
2. What did Dunham consider as Archimedes's "masterpiece"?
3. What do we know in modern times about Heron?
4. Dunham showed that Heron's proof could also be used as which of the following?
5. What was Euclid's definition of a prime number?
This section contains 379 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)