|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through A Sampler of Euler's Number Theory.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who's method did Tartaglia's challenger use in the contest to solve cubic equations?
(a) Fontana's method.
(b) Cardano's method.
(c) del Ferro's method.
(d) Pacioli's method.
2. Which of the following is true in modern math about twin primes?
(a) We don't know if they are finite or infinite.
(b) They are not considered whole numbers.
(c) Their sum is always another prime number.
(d) They are infinite.
3. In his later life, what position did Isaac Newton hold?
(a) Professor of philosophy in Paris.
(b) Warden of the Mint.
(c) Angelican father.
(d) Principle science advisor to Charles II.
4. Which of the following is a series that the Bernoullis proposed did not converge on a finite sum?
(a) 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5. . .
(b) 1 + 1/2 + 3/4 + 4/5 . . .
(c) 1 + 1/2 + 1/3 + 1/4 + 1/5 . . . 1/1000 . . .
(d) 1 + 1/2 + 1/6 + 1/10 + 1/15 . . .
5. Where did Newton go to school before he went to Cambridge?
(a) Charles II Grammar School.
(b) Oxford Grammar School.
(c) The King's School.
(d) Cambridge Prep.
Short Answer Questions
1. Heron devised which of the following methods?
2. In the Bernoulli's time, what was the current definition of a series?
3. What do we know in modern times about Heron?
4. What did Gauss set out to prove?
5. According to Dunham, who was most able to collect knowledge from around the globe?
This section contains 329 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)