|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through A Sampler of Euler's Number Theory.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was Euler's teacher?
(a) Isaac Newton.
(b) Jakob Bernoulli.
(c) Johann Bernoulli.
(d) Gottfried Leibniz.
2. Which of the following becomes an important definition in mathematics that was first presented in Elements?
(b) Parallel line.
(d) 180 degree angle.
3. What did Euler prove about 2²ⁿ + 1?
(a) That the statement is always a prime number.
(b) That the statement is neither prime nor composite.
(c) That the statement is always a composite number.
(d) That the statment is sometimes prime and sometimes composite.
4. What great theorem is presented by Dunham in this chapter?
(a) A theorem on infinite series published by Jakob Bernoulli.
(b) A theorem on series developed by Jakob and published by Johann Bernoulli.
(c) An improvement on Leibniz's caluclus as presented by Jakob Bernoulli.
(d) A theorem on finite series developed by Johann Bernoulli.
5. Which of the following was an important proposition given by Euclid's number theory?
(a) Any perfect number is divisible by some composite number.
(b) Any even number is divisible by 3.
(c) Any composite number is divisible by some prime number.
(d) Numbers from one to ten are only divisible by composite numbers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following was NOT a field in which Isaac Newton made enormous advances?
2. What didn't Euler attempt?
3. Numbers whose divisor add up to itself, was considered which type of number according to Euclid?
4. What range of values did Archimedes determine for pi?
5. How did Archimedes demonstrate his theory of pi?
This section contains 344 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)