|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through A Sampler of Euler's Number Theory.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following could NOT be included as a step in Euclid's great theorem?
(a) If a new number is found to be composite, then it must have some prime as a divisor.
(b) After summation, the new number can be prime or composite.
(c) Take a finite group of primes and add them together, plus one.
(d) Divide a infinite group of primes by the sum of their composites.
2. In the Bernoulli's time, what was the current definition of a series?
(a) The sum of a finite series of terms.
(b) The infinite sum of a convergent series.
(c) The finite sum of a divergent series.
(d) The sum of a never-ending series of terms.
3. According to Euclid, when is a triangle a right triangle?
(a) When a triangle has three sides whose squares are equal to the area of the triangle.
(b) When a triangle does not have a side which can be considered a hypotenuse.
(c) When a triangle can be constructed with three unequal sides.
(d) When a triangle has a side whose square is the sum of the squares of the two legs.
4. Who was the author of the book Elements?
5. Which of the following did Dunham concentrate on as one of Newton's great advances?
(a) Quintic theorem.
(b) Area of a sphere.
(c) Binomial theorem.
(d) Quadratic equation.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Pythagorean Theorem state?
2. Which of the following can not be solved using algebra?
3. What did Dunham consider extraordinary about the Elements?
4. What did Newton's calculus involve?
5. Where was Neil's Abel from?
This section contains 373 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)