|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through A Sampler of Euler's Number Theory.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following was NOT true about Archimedes, according to Dunham?
(a) Archimedes died because he refused to follow orders until he completed a math problem.
(b) His death was described as being by the hands of a Roman invader.
(c) He died during the fall of Syracuse.
(d) He died as a soldier.
2. Who else, besides Newton, independently discovered a calculus method?
(a) Gottfried Leibniz.
(b) John Napier.
(c) Isaac Barrow.
(d) Pierre de Fermat.
3. What was Eratosthanes most famous for?
(a) He developed a way to navigate using logitude and latitude.
(b) He showed that the Earth must be a sphere.
(c) He showed that there are no even prime numbers.
(d) He developed a simple way to find prime numbers and for determining the circumference of the Earth.
4. What did Newton's calculus involve?
(a) Proving the existance of pi.
(b) Determining the volume of a sphere.
(c) Proving the cubic equation.
(d) Determining the area under a curve.
5. As described by Archimedes, what is always true about he diameter of the circle?
(a) It's equal to pi.
(b) It's equal to the square of the radius.
(c) It's never proportional to its circumference.
(d) It's always proportional to its circumference.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is true about the successive squared denominator series proposed by the Bernoullis?
2. Which of the following is true about pi, as described by Dunham.
3. What is a "depressed cubic"?
4. In what century did Archimedes live?
5. What did Hippocrates do that advanced mathematical methods?
This section contains 394 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)