|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through A Sampler of Euler's Number Theory.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was the modern number system developed?
(a) In ancient Alexanderia.
(b) In the West.
(c) In the East.
(d) In ancient Rome.
2. After Hippocrates, what shape did the Greeks attempt to square without success?
3. What is true about the successive squared denominator series proposed by the Bernoullis?
(a) The sum diverges into infinity.
(b) The sum converges.
(c) The sum diverges.
(d) The sum converges to 2.
4. What did Dunham claim about Archimedes's determination of a number value for pi?
(a) Archimedes's number could have been better if he had understood Euclid's work better,
(b) Archimedes's number was not very accurate, considering the technology of his time.
(c) Archimedes's number was perfectly correct.
(d) Archimedes's number was very good, considering he did not have a way to calculate square roots.
5. Which is a geometric concept that humans have been aware of since the dawn of agriculture?
(d) Metric system.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was most noticeable about Euler at a young age?
2. What did Euclid state about pi in Elements?
3. As described by Dunham, what did Archimedes demonstrate first in his proof on pi?
4. What did the Pythagorean Theorem accomplish for mathematics?
5. Which word best describes Newton's childhood?
This section contains 407 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)