|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Archimedes' Determination of Circular Area.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is true in modern math about twin primes?
(a) They are infinite.
(b) They are not considered whole numbers.
(c) Their sum is always another prime number.
(d) We don't know if they are finite or infinite.
2. How many sides did the pentadecagon have, as presented by Euclid?
3. Which of the following is true about pi, as described by Dunham.
(a) The measurement of pi is no longer a mystery as we have an exact number value in modern mathematics.
(b) The measurement of pi is a challenge that continues into modern mathematics.
(c) The measurement of pi was redetermined after Archimedes's death.
(d) The measurement of pi should not have been so difficult for Archimedes to demonstrate.
4. After working on pi, what did Archimedes continue with in his study of mathematics?
(a) He studied the volume to surface area ratios of cubes.
(b) He studied the volume and surface area of spheres, cones, and cylinders.
(c) He studied the relationship between ratios in triangles.
(d) He studied the relationship of sine to cosine.
5. What was the bases of Hippocrates's proof ?
(a) Properties of points and lines.
(b) Properties of triangles and semicircles.
(c) Properties of squares and cubes.
(d) Properties of area to volume measurements.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Dunham claim about Archimedes's determination of a number value for pi?
2. What did Dunham consider as Archimedes's "masterpiece"?
3. What did Archimedes manage to prove using Euclid's ideas?
4. How did Lindeman prove his conclusion?
5. In general, what did Euclid's number theory describe?
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)