|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Archimedes' Determination of Circular Area.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What shape was NOT demonstrated in the Elements as having a relationship to other shapes?
2. What did Gauss set out to prove?
(a) That the sum of the angles in a triangle is 180 degrees.
(b) That Euclid's postulate on straight lines was incorrect.
(c) That a circle can have less than 360 degrees.
(d) That a right angle is always equal to 90 degrees.
3. Which words best describe how solid proofs were developed in Elements?
(a) Simple arguments.
(b) Inverted scaffold.
(c) Programmed order.
(d) Axiomatic framework.
4. Which of the following is true about pi, as described by Dunham.
(a) The measurement of pi is a challenge that continues into modern mathematics.
(b) The measurement of pi was redetermined after Archimedes's death.
(c) The measurement of pi is no longer a mystery as we have an exact number value in modern mathematics.
(d) The measurement of pi should not have been so difficult for Archimedes to demonstrate.
5. What provided most of the content in the book Elements?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Dunham consider extraordinary about the Elements?
2. Which of the following was NOT one of the things Dunham claimed was ingenious about Euclid's proof of the Pythagorean theorem?
3. Which shapes as described by Euclid, inspired the Greek philosopher Plato?
4. What did Dunham consider as Archimedes's "masterpiece"?
5. What is true about prime numbers?
This section contains 364 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)