|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Archimedes' Determination of Circular Area.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What instruments did the Greeks use to square a shape?
(a) A sphere and ruler.
(b) A pendulum.
(c) A compass and a ruled straight-edge.
(d) A small grid.
2. What did Plato use his inspiration from Euclid for?
(a) To construct his theory on the shape of the Universe.
(b) To classify geometric shapes by their complexity.
(c) To create a new theorem of algebra.
(d) To prove Euclid's number theory was incorrect.
3. What was most useful about finding the square of a shape, before Hippocrates?
(a) It was useful in finding the area of oddly shaped pieces of land.
(b) It was useful in creating simple elevation maps,
(c) It was useful in determining the distance between two points.
(d) It was useful in finding the area of circles.
4. After Hippocrates, what shape did the Greeks attempt to square without success?
5. What range of values did Archimedes determine for pi?
(a) Between 3 and 3 1/2.
(b) Between 3 and 4.
(c) Between 3 10/11 and 3 1/7.
(d) Between 3 1/2 and 3 5/8.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which is one of the common notions presented in Elements?
2. In what century did Archimedes live?
3. How do we know about Hippocrates proofs and theorems?
4. What does the Pythagorean Theorem state?
5. Which of the following is true about pi, as described by Dunham.
This section contains 409 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)