|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Archimedes' Determination of Circular Area.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which shapes as described by Euclid, inspired the Greek philosopher Plato?
(a) Spheres and cones.
(c) Regular polyhedrons.
2. What was most useful about finding the square of a shape, before Hippocrates?
(a) It was useful in finding the area of oddly shaped pieces of land.
(b) It was useful in determining the distance between two points.
(c) It was useful in creating simple elevation maps,
(d) It was useful in finding the area of circles.
3. Which was true of Euclid's number theory?
(a) It has an impact on modern math.
(b) It was incorrect, as proved by Plato.
(c) It has been proven too basic to be useful.
(d) It was proven to the true by Hippocrates.
4. After Hippocrates, what shape did the Greeks attempt to square without success?
5. "Straight lines in the same plane that will never meet if extended forever" is a definition of what?
(a) Parallel lines.
(d) 180 degree angle.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following was NOT one of the basic definitions in Elements?
2. Which of the following is false about the modern implications of Euclid's number theory?
3. Which of the following was an important proposition given by Euclid's number theory?
4. What were the proofs in Elements based on?
5. What was Euclid's definition of a prime number?
This section contains 333 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)