|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Archimedes' Determination of Circular Area.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Dunham consider extraordinary about the Elements?
(a) The content was totally unique.
(b) The content was not based on previous authors' work.
(c) How geometric proofs were presented.
(d) How Hippocrates ordered the book.
2. Which of the following was NOT true about Archimedes, according to Dunham?
(a) He died as a soldier.
(b) He died during the fall of Syracuse.
(c) Archimedes died because he refused to follow orders until he completed a math problem.
(d) His death was described as being by the hands of a Roman invader.
3. How do we know about Hippocrates proofs and theorems?
(a) Mathematicians rewrote all of his proofs after his death,
(b) His books and publications.
(c) What we know is from references of later mathematicians.
(d) What is known from archived documents of his time.
4. Who was the author of the book Elements?
5. Which of the following is false about the modern implications of Euclid's number theory?
(a) Euclid's recipe for constructing even perfect numbers is incorrect.
(b) Whether there are no odd perfect numbers is still not known.
(c) Euclid gave a good idea for how to construct even perfect numbers.
(d) Great mathematicians continue to puzzle over some aspects of Euclid's number theory.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many sides did the pentadecagon have, as presented by Euclid?
2. Besides being a mathematician, what else other work was Archimedes famous for?
3. Which of the following is an example of a postulate that must be accepted in Elements?
4. Which of the following becomes an important definition in mathematics that was first presented in Elements?
5. How did Archimedes arrive at a number value for pi?
This section contains 381 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)