|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Archimedes' Determination of Circular Area.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Besides being a mathematician, what else other work was Archimedes famous for?
(a) Artist and musician.
(b) Doctor and writer,
(d) Inventor and scientist.
2. What did Ferdinand Lindeman prove in 1882?
(a) It is impossible to find the square of a semicircle.
(b) That the square root of the hypotenuse of a right triangle can not be found.
(c) It is possible to find the square of a circle.
(d) That the square of a circle can not be found with a compass and a straight-edge.
3. How many sides did the pentadecagon have, as presented by Euclid?
4. Which of the following becomes an important definition in mathematics that was first presented in Elements?
(a) Parallel line.
(c) 180 degree angle.
5. Which of the following is an example of a perfect number?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Hippocrates's great advance to mathematics?
2. Which of the following is INCORRECT, and not used in Archimedes proof of his theory?
3. "Straight lines in the same plane that will never meet if extended forever" is a definition of what?
4. What did the Pythagorean Theorem accomplish for mathematics?
5. After Hippocrates, what shape did the Greeks attempt to square without success?
This section contains 351 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)