|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Archimedes' Determination of Circular Area.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Dunham claim about Archimedes's determination of a number value for pi?
(a) Archimedes's number was not very accurate, considering the technology of his time.
(b) Archimedes's number could have been better if he had understood Euclid's work better,
(c) Archimedes's number was very good, considering he did not have a way to calculate square roots.
(d) Archimedes's number was perfectly correct.
2. Which is one of the common notions presented in Elements?
(a) "Things with are equal have an inverse that is equal."
(b) "Things which are equal to the same thing are also equal to each other."
(c) "Points with equal values can be connected with a line of equal value."
(d) "The inverse of a line makes a circle."
3. Which of the following is false about the modern implications of Euclid's number theory?
(a) Euclid's recipe for constructing even perfect numbers is incorrect.
(b) Whether there are no odd perfect numbers is still not known.
(c) Euclid gave a good idea for how to construct even perfect numbers.
(d) Great mathematicians continue to puzzle over some aspects of Euclid's number theory.
4. What shape was NOT demonstrated in the Elements as having a relationship to other shapes?
5. Which of the following was NOT defined by Euclid?
(a) Odd numbers.
(b) Even numbers.
(c) Nominal numbers.
(d) Whole numbers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following becomes an important definition in mathematics that was first presented in Elements?
2. What was Hippocrates famous for?
3. What did the Pythagorean Theorem accomplish for mathematics?
4. What provided most of the content in the book Elements?
5. What does the Pythagorean Theorem state?
This section contains 381 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)