|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Archimedes' Determination of Circular Area.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many definitions were stated in Elements?
2. Which of Euclid's postulates troubled many of the following generations of mathematicians?
(a) Euclid's proof on right triangles.
(b) Euclid's postulate on parallel lines.
(c) Euclid's postulate on right triangles.
(d) Euclid's postulate on creating an arc.
3. What instruments did the Greeks use to square a shape?
(a) A sphere and ruler.
(b) A pendulum.
(c) A compass and a ruled straight-edge.
(d) A small grid.
4. Where did Hippocrates come from?
5. What is true about prime numbers?
(a) Prime numbers can not exist in a finite series.
(b) Prime numbers are not divisible by other numbers.
(c) That for every group of prime numbers, there exists at least one more prime.
(d) Prime numbers can never be an odd number.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many sides did the pentadecagon have, as presented by Euclid?
2. How did Archimedes arrive at a number value for pi?
3. What did Gauss set out to prove?
4. What did Dunham consider extraordinary about the Elements?
5. Which of the following was one of Euclid's great theorems?
This section contains 316 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)