|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Archimedes' Determination of Circular Area.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Hippocrates come from?
2. What did Dunham consider as Archimedes's "masterpiece"?
(a) Archimedes' work on determining a number value for pi.
(b) Archimedes' work on volume to surface area ratios.
(c) Archimedes' work on shperes, cones, and cylinders.
(d) Archimedes' work on determining angular measurements.
3. Which was true of Euclid's number theory?
(a) It was proven to the true by Hippocrates.
(b) It has been proven too basic to be useful.
(c) It was incorrect, as proved by Plato.
(d) It has an impact on modern math.
4. What did Euclid do in his 48th proposition?
(a) Euclid proved the Pythagorean Theorem.
(b) Euclid demonstrated the faults of the Pythagorean Theorem.
(c) Euclid demonstrated how to use the Pythagorean Theorem.
(d) Euclid proved the converse of the Pythagorean Theorem.
5. Which of Euclid's postulates troubled many of the following generations of mathematicians?
(a) Euclid's postulate on right triangles.
(b) Euclid's postulate on parallel lines.
(c) Euclid's proof on right triangles.
(d) Euclid's postulate on creating an arc.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name did Euclid give for numbers that could be divided by numbers other than themselves and one?
2. What shape was NOT demonstrated in the Elements as having a relationship to other shapes?
3. What is true about prime numbers?
4. Which of the following was NOT one of the basic definitions in Elements?
5. What did Archimedes manage to prove using Euclid's ideas?
This section contains 336 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)