|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Archimedes' Determination of Circular Area.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the author of the book Elements?
2. What does the Pythagorean Theorem state?
(a) For any right triangle the diagonal side is equal to the sum of the legs.
(b) For any triangle the sum of the legs squared is equal to the length of the hypotenuse.
(c) For any right triangle the square of the diagonal side is equal to the sum of the squares of the two legs.
(d) For any triangle the sqaured sum of the legs is equal to half the hypotenuse.
3. Which was true of Euclid's number theory?
(a) It has been proven too basic to be useful.
(b) It has an impact on modern math.
(c) It was incorrect, as proved by Plato.
(d) It was proven to the true by Hippocrates.
4. What did the Pythagorean Theorem accomplish for mathematics?
(a) The ability to find square roots.
(b) The concept of constructing useful mathematics.
(c) The ability to measure angles.
(d) The concept of providing a logical proof.
5. Besides being a mathematician, what else other work was Archimedes famous for?
(a) Inventor and scientist.
(c) Doctor and writer,
(d) Artist and musician.
Short Answer Questions
1. What instruments did the Greeks use to square a shape?
2. After working on pi, what did Archimedes continue with in his study of mathematics?
3. "Straight lines in the same plane that will never meet if extended forever" is a definition of what?
4. Which of the following could NOT be included as a step in Euclid's great theorem?
5. After Hippocrates, what shape did the Greeks attempt to square without success?
This section contains 363 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)