|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through A Gem from Isaac Newton.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Cardano take an oath to secrecy?
(a) It was the only way he could become a priest,
(b) It was the only way to get his book published.
(c) It was to the only way to win the contest with Fior,
(d) It was the only way to get Tartaglia's solution to cubic equations.
2. In what time period did mathematicians find a solution to cubic equations?
(a) Seventeeth century.
(b) Twentieth century.
(c) Thirteenth century.
(d) Fifteen century.
3. Which of the following is an example of a perfect number?
4. Who else, besides Newton, independently discovered a calculus method?
(a) Pierre de Fermat.
(b) Gottfried Leibniz.
(c) John Napier.
(d) Isaac Barrow.
5. What allowed Cardano to justify publishing his book?
(a) He was punished as a heretic,
(b) He was dead, and the book was really published by his student.
(c) He found Fior's documents which spoke against Tartaglia.
(d) He found del Ferro's orgininal solution to the cubic.
Short Answer Questions
1. After working on pi, what did Archimedes continue with in his study of mathematics?
2. Which mathematician was first to take the challenge to solve cubic equations?
3. Where did Newton go to school before he went to Cambridge?
4. What was known about pi, during Archimedes' time?
5. Which name does NOT belong?
This section contains 305 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)