|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through A Gem from Isaac Newton.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Dunham consider as Archimedes's "masterpiece"?
(a) Archimedes' work on shperes, cones, and cylinders.
(b) Archimedes' work on determining angular measurements.
(c) Archimedes' work on volume to surface area ratios.
(d) Archimedes' work on determining a number value for pi.
2. Which of the following was one of Euclid's great theorems?
(a) There exists only infinite and whole numbers.
(b) There exists an finite number of prime numbers.
(c) There exists an infinite number of prime numbers.
(d) Prime numbers are more comples than discrete numbers.
3. What name did Euclid give for numbers that could be divided by numbers other than themselves and one?
(a) Composite numbers.
(b) Perfect numbers.
(c) Discrete numbers.
(d) Even numbers.
4. Where does the center of mathematical thinking shift to after Italy?
(a) To France and Britian.
(b) To Germany and Russia.
(c) To Turkey and Russia.
(d) To Britian and Scotland.
5. Which of the following best describes Cardano's character?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of Euclid's postulates troubled many of the following generations of mathematicians?
2. In what century did Archimedes live?
3. Exactly what limit is reached at a quartic equation?
4. As described by Archimedes, what is always true about he diameter of the circle?
5. What allowed Cardano to justify publishing his book?
This section contains 311 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)