|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through A Gem from Isaac Newton.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Newton go to school before he went to Cambridge?
(a) Cambridge Prep.
(b) Charles II Grammar School.
(c) The King's School.
(d) Oxford Grammar School.
2. Exactly what limit is reached at a quartic equation?
(a) The limit of logical geometric proofs.
(b) The limit of the Pythagorean Theorem.
(c) The limit of the decompressed cubic method.
(d) The limit of algebra.
3. What allowed Cardano to justify publishing his book?
(a) He found Fior's documents which spoke against Tartaglia.
(b) He was punished as a heretic,
(c) He was dead, and the book was really published by his student.
(d) He found del Ferro's orgininal solution to the cubic.
4. What provided most of the content in the book Elements?
5. Which of the following could NOT be included as a step in Euclid's great theorem?
(a) After summation, the new number can be prime or composite.
(b) Divide a infinite group of primes by the sum of their composites.
(c) Take a finite group of primes and add them together, plus one.
(d) If a new number is found to be composite, then it must have some prime as a divisor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which word best describes Newton's childhood?
2. Which of the following was NOT one of Gauss' discoveries?
3. Which of the following can not be solved using algebra?
4. What was known about pi, during Archimedes' time?
5. What range of values did Archimedes determine for pi?
This section contains 331 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)