|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through A Gem from Isaac Newton.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was Archimedes born?
2. As described by Archimedes, what is always true about he diameter of the circle?
(a) It's never proportional to its circumference.
(b) It's equal to the square of the radius.
(c) It's always proportional to its circumference.
(d) It's equal to pi.
3. To how many decimal places did Newton determine the number for pi?
(a) Twelve places.
(b) Eight places.
(c) Nine places.
(d) Three places.
4. What did Archimedes manage to prove using Euclid's ideas?
(a) That the area of a circle and the square of its diameter is really the same as the relationship of diameter to circumference.
(b) That the square of a diameter is equal to pi.
(c) That the relationship of area to circumference is really the same as the relationship of radius to diameter.
(d) That the value of pi is proportional to the area of the circle.
5. Which name does NOT belong?
(a) Renee Descartes.
(b) Francois Viete
(c) Blaise Pascal.
(d) John Napier.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Elements, how many postulates must be accepted as given?
2. Who challenged Tartaglia to a contest to solve cubic equations?
3. What were the proofs in Elements based on?
4. In what time period did mathematicians find a solution to cubic equations?
5. Which of the following is true in modern math about twin primes?
This section contains 255 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)