|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through A Gem from Isaac Newton.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Cardano take an oath to secrecy?
(a) It was to the only way to win the contest with Fior,
(b) It was the only way to get Tartaglia's solution to cubic equations.
(c) It was the only way to get his book published.
(d) It was the only way he could become a priest,
2. What did Newton's calculus involve?
(a) Determining the area under a curve.
(b) Proving the cubic equation.
(c) Proving the existance of pi.
(d) Determining the volume of a sphere.
3. Who challenged Tartaglia to a contest to solve cubic equations?
(b) del Ferro.
4. According to Euclid, when is a triangle a right triangle?
(a) When a triangle has a side whose square is the sum of the squares of the two legs.
(b) When a triangle has three sides whose squares are equal to the area of the triangle.
(c) When a triangle can be constructed with three unequal sides.
(d) When a triangle does not have a side which can be considered a hypotenuse.
5. Who encourages Newton during his studies at Cambridge?
(a) Isaac Barrow.
(b) John Napier.
(c) Henry Stokes.
(d) Henry Briggs.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many sides did the pentadecagon have, as presented by Euclid?
2. In Elements, how many postulates must be accepted as given?
3. What did Dunham claim about Archimedes's determination of a number value for pi?
4. Which name does NOT belong?
5. Numbers whose divisor add up to itself, was considered which type of number according to Euclid?
This section contains 302 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)