|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through A Gem from Isaac Newton.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which phrase best describes Newton as a student at Cambridge?
(a) Unnoticed, but remarkable.
(b) Quiet recluse of no intelligence.
(c) Tolerant, mildly interested in science.
(d) A highly praised genius.
2. Which of the following was true about Cardano, according to Dunham?
(a) He was a priest.
(b) He had three wives.
(c) He was not a mathematician.
(d) He was jailed for heresy.
3. What name did Euclid give for numbers that could be divided by numbers other than themselves and one?
(a) Even numbers.
(b) Discrete numbers.
(c) Composite numbers.
(d) Perfect numbers.
4. What was Euclid's definition of a prime number?
(a) Numbers which contain an infinite number of composite numbers.
(b) Numbers which do not, and can not, contain a perfect number.
(c) Numbers which can only be divided by themselves and 1.
(d) Numbers which are divisible by 2.
5. What were the proofs in Elements based on?
(a) Novel notions.
(b) Basic definitions.
(c) Lindeman's method.
(d) Ancient greek geometry.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what time period did mathematicians find a solution to cubic equations?
2. Who was del Ferro's student?
3. Which of the following is false about the modern implications of Euclid's number theory?
4. As described by Dunham, what did Archimedes demonstrate first in his proof on pi?
5. In his later life, what position did Isaac Newton hold?
This section contains 393 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)