|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through A Gem from Isaac Newton.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which is one of the common notions presented in Elements?
(a) "Things which are equal to the same thing are also equal to each other."
(b) "The inverse of a line makes a circle."
(c) "Things with are equal have an inverse that is equal."
(d) "Points with equal values can be connected with a line of equal value."
2. Where does the center of mathematical thinking shift to after Italy?
(a) To France and Britian.
(b) To Britian and Scotland.
(c) To Germany and Russia.
(d) To Turkey and Russia.
3. Where was Neil's Abel from?
(b) Great Britian,
4. What is true about prime numbers?
(a) That for every group of prime numbers, there exists at least one more prime.
(b) Prime numbers can not exist in a finite series.
(c) Prime numbers can never be an odd number.
(d) Prime numbers are not divisible by other numbers.
5. What is a "depressed cubic"?
(a) A method to simpify the x squared value in a cubic equation.
(b) A method to logically square all the factors in a cubic equation.
(c) A method to simplify measuring complex geometric forms.
(d) A method to solve equations with two variables.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following becomes an important definition in mathematics that was first presented in Elements?
2. What was the title of Cardano's book which contained the solution to the cubic?
3. In general, what did Euclid's number theory describe?
4. What provided most of the content in the book Elements?
5. Which of the following is true about pi, as described by Dunham.
This section contains 334 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)