|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through A Gem from Isaac Newton.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As described by Archimedes, what is always true about he diameter of the circle?
(a) It's always proportional to its circumference.
(b) It's equal to the square of the radius.
(c) It's equal to pi.
(d) It's never proportional to its circumference.
2. Which is one of the common notions presented in Elements?
(a) "Things with are equal have an inverse that is equal."
(b) "Points with equal values can be connected with a line of equal value."
(c) "Things which are equal to the same thing are also equal to each other."
(d) "The inverse of a line makes a circle."
3. What did Gauss set out to prove?
(a) That Euclid's postulate on straight lines was incorrect.
(b) That the sum of the angles in a triangle is 180 degrees.
(c) That a circle can have less than 360 degrees.
(d) That a right angle is always equal to 90 degrees.
4. Which of the following was NOT true about Archimedes, according to Dunham?
(a) He died as a soldier.
(b) Archimedes died because he refused to follow orders until he completed a math problem.
(c) He died during the fall of Syracuse.
(d) His death was described as being by the hands of a Roman invader.
5. Where was Neil's Abel from?
(a) Great Britian,
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Archimedes born?
2. Who was Neil's Abel?
3. Which of the following was NOT one of the things Dunham claimed was ingenious about Euclid's proof of the Pythagorean theorem?
4. In what century did Archimedes live?
5. As described by Dunham, what did Archimedes demonstrate first in his proof on pi?
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)