|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through A Gem from Isaac Newton.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Plato use his inspiration from Euclid for?
(a) To prove Euclid's number theory was incorrect.
(b) To classify geometric shapes by their complexity.
(c) To construct his theory on the shape of the Universe.
(d) To create a new theorem of algebra.
2. What was known about pi, during Archimedes' time?
(a) That it was never the same number value for a given circle.
(b) That it could not be assigned a relationship between measurements in a circle.
(c) That is was the relationship between the diameter and circumference of a circle.
(d) Nothing, the concept of pi was unknown.
3. Which of the following was NOT true about Archimedes, according to Dunham?
(a) He died as a soldier.
(b) His death was described as being by the hands of a Roman invader.
(c) Archimedes died because he refused to follow orders until he completed a math problem.
(d) He died during the fall of Syracuse.
4. Where did Newton go to school before he went to Cambridge?
(a) The King's School.
(b) Cambridge Prep.
(c) Charles II Grammar School.
(d) Oxford Grammar School.
5. What range of values did Archimedes determine for pi?
(a) Between 3 1/2 and 3 5/8.
(b) Between 3 10/11 and 3 1/7.
(c) Between 3 and 3 1/2.
(d) Between 3 and 4.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is an example of a postulate that must be accepted in Elements?
2. In Elements, how many postulates must be accepted as given?
3. What did Dunham claim about Archimedes's determination of a number value for pi?
4. What allowed Cardano to justify publishing his book?
5. Which of the following could NOT be included as a step in Euclid's great theorem?
This section contains 434 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)