|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through A Gem from Isaac Newton.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was known about pi, during Archimedes' time?
(a) Nothing, the concept of pi was unknown.
(b) That it was never the same number value for a given circle.
(c) That it could not be assigned a relationship between measurements in a circle.
(d) That is was the relationship between the diameter and circumference of a circle.
2. In his later life, what position did Isaac Newton hold?
(a) Professor of philosophy in Paris.
(b) Angelican father.
(c) Principle science advisor to Charles II.
(d) Warden of the Mint.
3. What range of values did Archimedes determine for pi?
(a) Between 3 10/11 and 3 1/7.
(b) Between 3 and 4.
(c) Between 3 and 3 1/2.
(d) Between 3 1/2 and 3 5/8.
4. Which name does NOT belong?
(a) Blaise Pascal.
(b) John Napier.
(c) Francois Viete
(d) Renee Descartes.
5. In general, what did Euclid's number theory describe?
(a) The nature of measuring geometry.
(b) The nature of whole numbers.
(c) The relationship of decimals to integers.
(d) The relationship of fractions to decimals.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many sides did the pentadecagon have, as presented by Euclid?
2. What did Plato use his inspiration from Euclid for?
3. Who was the author of the book Elements?
4. Which of the following is an example of a postulate that must be accepted in Elements?
5. According to Euclid, when is a triangle a right triangle?
This section contains 342 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)