|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through A Gem from Isaac Newton.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is true about prime numbers?
(a) Prime numbers can never be an odd number.
(b) Prime numbers are not divisible by other numbers.
(c) Prime numbers can not exist in a finite series.
(d) That for every group of prime numbers, there exists at least one more prime.
2. What did Gauss set out to prove?
(a) That Euclid's postulate on straight lines was incorrect.
(b) That a right angle is always equal to 90 degrees.
(c) That the sum of the angles in a triangle is 180 degrees.
(d) That a circle can have less than 360 degrees.
3. Why did Cardano take an oath to secrecy?
(a) It was the only way he could become a priest,
(b) It was to the only way to win the contest with Fior,
(c) It was the only way to get his book published.
(d) It was the only way to get Tartaglia's solution to cubic equations.
4. Which of the following did Dunham concentrate on as one of Newton's great advances?
(a) Quintic theorem.
(b) Quadratic equation.
(c) Binomial theorem.
(d) Area of a sphere.
5. Which shapes as described by Euclid, inspired the Greek philosopher Plato?
(c) Regular polyhedrons.
(d) Spheres and cones.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Archimedes demonstrate his theory of pi?
2. Who was del Ferro's student?
3. What did Euclid state about pi in Elements?
4. Which was true of Euclid's number theory?
5. Which of the following is an example of a perfect number?
This section contains 386 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)