|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through A Gem from Isaac Newton.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Dunham consider as Archimedes's "masterpiece"?
(a) Archimedes' work on determining a number value for pi.
(b) Archimedes' work on shperes, cones, and cylinders.
(c) Archimedes' work on determining angular measurements.
(d) Archimedes' work on volume to surface area ratios.
2. Which of the following was one of Euclid's great theorems?
(a) Prime numbers are more comples than discrete numbers.
(b) There exists only infinite and whole numbers.
(c) There exists an finite number of prime numbers.
(d) There exists an infinite number of prime numbers.
3. Which of the following best describes Archimedes as discussed by Dunham?
(a) Loud and arrogant.
(b) Mild-mannered researcher.
(c) Absent-minded genius.
(d) Creative but stubborn.
4. What did Euclid state about pi in Elements?
(a) There is no relationship between the area of a circle and its circumference.
(b) The proportion of diameter to area is never equal.
(c) The proportion of area to circumference is never equal.
(d) There is a constant relationship between the area of a circle and the square of its diameter.
5. In Elements, how many postulates must be accepted as given?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following can not be solved using algebra?
2. Which of the following was NOT one of Gauss' discoveries?
3. Who encourages Newton during his studies at Cambridge?
4. What did Dunham consider extraordinary about the Elements?
5. What did Dunham claim about Archimedes's determination of a number value for pi?
This section contains 348 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)