|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through A Gem from Isaac Newton.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a "depressed cubic"?
(a) A method to solve equations with two variables.
(b) A method to simplify measuring complex geometric forms.
(c) A method to simpify the x squared value in a cubic equation.
(d) A method to logically square all the factors in a cubic equation.
2. What was Euclid's definition of a prime number?
(a) Numbers which do not, and can not, contain a perfect number.
(b) Numbers which contain an infinite number of composite numbers.
(c) Numbers which can only be divided by themselves and 1.
(d) Numbers which are divisible by 2.
3. What did Dunham claim about Archimedes's determination of a number value for pi?
(a) Archimedes's number could have been better if he had understood Euclid's work better,
(b) Archimedes's number was not very accurate, considering the technology of his time.
(c) Archimedes's number was very good, considering he did not have a way to calculate square roots.
(d) Archimedes's number was perfectly correct.
4. Who asked Tartaglia for his solution to cubic equations?
5. Which of the following was NOT defined by Euclid?
(a) Odd numbers.
(b) Whole numbers.
(c) Even numbers.
(d) Nominal numbers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which phrase best describes Newton as a student at Cambridge?
2. In what century did Archimedes live?
3. According to Euclid, when is a triangle a right triangle?
4. Which of the following is true in modern math about twin primes?
5. Who else, besides Newton, independently discovered a calculus method?
This section contains 348 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)