|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through A Gem from Isaac Newton.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following was NOT one of Gauss' discoveries?
(a) That under Euclid's definition parallel lines can intersect.
(b) That angles in a triangles can not add up to more than 180 degrees.
(c) That there is no apparent contraction to the assumption that the sum of angles in a triangle can have fewer than 180 degrees.
(d) "Non-euclidean" geometry.
2. What did Dunham claim about Archimedes's determination of a number value for pi?
(a) Archimedes's number was perfectly correct.
(b) Archimedes's number could have been better if he had understood Euclid's work better,
(c) Archimedes's number was not very accurate, considering the technology of his time.
(d) Archimedes's number was very good, considering he did not have a way to calculate square roots.
3. In Elements, how many postulates must be accepted as given?
4. What was the title of Cardano's book which contained the solution to the cubic?
(b) Ars Magna.
(c) La Magnifica.
5. What shape was NOT demonstrated in the Elements as having a relationship to other shapes?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who else, besides Newton, independently discovered a calculus method?
2. Where does the center of mathematical thinking shift to after Italy?
3. Which word best describes Newton's childhood?
4. What did Newton's calculus involve?
5. Which of the following best describes Cardano's character?
This section contains 260 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)