|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through A Gem from Isaac Newton.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Gauss set out to prove?
(a) That Euclid's postulate on straight lines was incorrect.
(b) That a circle can have less than 360 degrees.
(c) That the sum of the angles in a triangle is 180 degrees.
(d) That a right angle is always equal to 90 degrees.
2. How many definitions were stated in Elements?
3. What provided most of the content in the book Elements?
4. What else, besides a solution to cubic equations, was in Cardano's book?
(a) A proof of the Pythagorean Theorem.
(b) An alegrabic solution to quintic equations,
(c) A solution to quartic equations.
(d) A suggested method to depress all complex geometry.
5. Which of the following was an important proposition given by Euclid's number theory?
(a) Any composite number is divisible by some prime number.
(b) Any even number is divisible by 3.
(c) Numbers from one to ten are only divisible by composite numbers.
(d) Any perfect number is divisible by some composite number.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what time period did mathematicians find a solution to cubic equations?
2. Who else, besides Newton, independently discovered a calculus method?
3. Who was del Ferro's student?
4. Which of the following is an example of a perfect number?
5. Which of Euclid's postulates troubled many of the following generations of mathematicians?
This section contains 248 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)