|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through A Gem from Isaac Newton.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is false about the modern implications of Euclid's number theory?
(a) Euclid's recipe for constructing even perfect numbers is incorrect.
(b) Great mathematicians continue to puzzle over some aspects of Euclid's number theory.
(c) Euclid gave a good idea for how to construct even perfect numbers.
(d) Whether there are no odd perfect numbers is still not known.
2. What did Dunham claim about Archimedes's determination of a number value for pi?
(a) Archimedes's number could have been better if he had understood Euclid's work better,
(b) Archimedes's number was very good, considering he did not have a way to calculate square roots.
(c) Archimedes's number was not very accurate, considering the technology of his time.
(d) Archimedes's number was perfectly correct.
3. Why did Cardano take an oath to secrecy?
(a) It was the only way to get Tartaglia's solution to cubic equations.
(b) It was the only way to get his book published.
(c) It was to the only way to win the contest with Fior,
(d) It was the only way he could become a priest,
4. Who else, besides Newton, independently discovered a calculus method?
(a) Isaac Barrow.
(b) John Napier.
(c) Gottfried Leibniz.
(d) Pierre de Fermat.
5. How many definitions were stated in Elements?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is true about prime numbers?
2. To how many decimal places did Newton determine the number for pi?
3. Which of the following was one of Euclid's great theorems?
4. Which of the following were an example of twin primes?
5. What did Euclid state about pi in Elements?
This section contains 374 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)