|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through A Gem from Isaac Newton.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What provided most of the content in the book Elements?
2. How did Archimedes demonstrate his theory of pi?
(a) He demonstrated that the area of the circle is always greater than the area of the triangle.
(b) He demonstrated that the area of the circle is never less than the area of the triangle.
(c) He demonstrated that the area of the circle is neither greater than nor less than the area of the triangle and therefore must be equal to it.
(d) He demonstrated that the area of the circle is never equal to the area of the triangle.
3. Who else, besides Newton, independently discovered a calculus method?
(a) Isaac Barrow.
(b) Gottfried Leibniz.
(c) Pierre de Fermat.
(d) John Napier.
4. In Elements, how many postulates must be accepted as given?
5. What was Euclid's definition of a prime number?
(a) Numbers which are divisible by 2.
(b) Numbers which do not, and can not, contain a perfect number.
(c) Numbers which contain an infinite number of composite numbers.
(d) Numbers which can only be divided by themselves and 1.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Straight lines in the same plane that will never meet if extended forever" is a definition of what?
2. What was the title of Cardano's book which contained the solution to the cubic?
3. Which of the following was an important proposition given by Euclid's number theory?
4. What is a "depressed cubic"?
5. Which of the following becomes an important definition in mathematics that was first presented in Elements?
This section contains 333 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)