|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through A Gem from Isaac Newton.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Dunham claim about Archimedes's determination of a number value for pi?
(a) Archimedes's number was very good, considering he did not have a way to calculate square roots.
(b) Archimedes's number could have been better if he had understood Euclid's work better,
(c) Archimedes's number was not very accurate, considering the technology of his time.
(d) Archimedes's number was perfectly correct.
2. What shape was NOT demonstrated in the Elements as having a relationship to other shapes?
3. Where did Newton go to school before he went to Cambridge?
(a) Charles II Grammar School.
(b) The King's School.
(c) Cambridge Prep.
(d) Oxford Grammar School.
4. What was Euclid's definition of a prime number?
(a) Numbers which do not, and can not, contain a perfect number.
(b) Numbers which are divisible by 2.
(c) Numbers which contain an infinite number of composite numbers.
(d) Numbers which can only be divided by themselves and 1.
5. According to Euclid, when is a triangle a right triangle?
(a) When a triangle can be constructed with three unequal sides.
(b) When a triangle has a side whose square is the sum of the squares of the two legs.
(c) When a triangle does not have a side which can be considered a hypotenuse.
(d) When a triangle has three sides whose squares are equal to the area of the triangle.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Euclid do in his 48th proposition?
2. Which of the following was true about Cardano, according to Dunham?
3. Which of the following was NOT defined by Euclid?
4. What else, besides a solution to cubic equations, was in Cardano's book?
5. Which of the following can not be solved using algebra?
This section contains 348 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)