|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through A Gem from Isaac Newton.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which phrase best describes Newton as a student at Cambridge?
(a) Tolerant, mildly interested in science.
(b) Unnoticed, but remarkable.
(c) Quiet recluse of no intelligence.
(d) A highly praised genius.
2. As described by Archimedes, what is always true about he diameter of the circle?
(a) It's always proportional to its circumference.
(b) It's equal to pi.
(c) It's equal to the square of the radius.
(d) It's never proportional to its circumference.
3. What did Newton's calculus involve?
(a) Determining the volume of a sphere.
(b) Proving the cubic equation.
(c) Determining the area under a curve.
(d) Proving the existance of pi.
4. What did Gauss set out to prove?
(a) That a circle can have less than 360 degrees.
(b) That Euclid's postulate on straight lines was incorrect.
(c) That the sum of the angles in a triangle is 180 degrees.
(d) That a right angle is always equal to 90 degrees.
5. Which of the following could NOT be included as a step in Euclid's great theorem?
(a) Divide a infinite group of primes by the sum of their composites.
(b) Take a finite group of primes and add them together, plus one.
(c) After summation, the new number can be prime or composite.
(d) If a new number is found to be composite, then it must have some prime as a divisor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which shapes as described by Euclid, inspired the Greek philosopher Plato?
2. What did Euclid do in his 48th proposition?
3. "Straight lines in the same plane that will never meet if extended forever" is a definition of what?
4. Who encourages Newton during his studies at Cambridge?
5. Which of the following is true about pi, as described by Dunham.
This section contains 362 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)