|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through A Gem from Isaac Newton.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the title of Cardano's book which contained the solution to the cubic?
(b) Ars Magna.
(c) La Magnifica.
2. How did Archimedes arrive at a number value for pi?
(a) By constructing multi-sided polygons inside and outside a circle and determining their perimeters.
(b) By constructing successively smaller circles inside circles until he realized all of their ratios of diameter to area were equal.
(c) By proving pi could not be equal to one.
(d) By proving that pi could not be a negative number.
3. What shape was NOT demonstrated in the Elements as having a relationship to other shapes?
4. What is true about prime numbers?
(a) Prime numbers can not exist in a finite series.
(b) Prime numbers are not divisible by other numbers.
(c) That for every group of prime numbers, there exists at least one more prime.
(d) Prime numbers can never be an odd number.
5. Which phrase best describes Newton as a student at Cambridge?
(a) Tolerant, mildly interested in science.
(b) Unnoticed, but remarkable.
(c) Quiet recluse of no intelligence.
(d) A highly praised genius.
Short Answer Questions
1. As described by Archimedes, what is always true about he diameter of the circle?
2. Who was the author of the book Elements?
3. Besides being a mathematician, what else other work was Archimedes famous for?
4. Who challenged Tartaglia to a contest to solve cubic equations?
5. Who wrote a treatise that supposed that cubic equations may be impossible to solve?
This section contains 283 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)