|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through A Gem from Isaac Newton.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Newton go to school before he went to Cambridge?
(a) Charles II Grammar School.
(b) The King's School.
(c) Cambridge Prep.
(d) Oxford Grammar School.
2. Which of the following is an example of a postulate that must be accepted in Elements?
(a) It is possible to draw an arc with any three points.
(b) It is possible to draw a straight line between an infinite number of points.
(c) It is possible to connect any two points with a line and make a circle.
(d) It is possible to draw a circle that contains no lines.
3. What allowed Cardano to justify publishing his book?
(a) He was punished as a heretic,
(b) He found del Ferro's orgininal solution to the cubic.
(c) He was dead, and the book was really published by his student.
(d) He found Fior's documents which spoke against Tartaglia.
4. What did Plato use his inspiration from Euclid for?
(a) To prove Euclid's number theory was incorrect.
(b) To classify geometric shapes by their complexity.
(c) To create a new theorem of algebra.
(d) To construct his theory on the shape of the Universe.
5. Which of the following can not be solved using algebra?
(a) Quadratic equation.
(b) Quintic equation.
(c) Geometric equation.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which is one of the common notions presented in Elements?
2. In what time period did mathematicians find a solution to cubic equations?
3. Which of the following was NOT defined by Euclid?
4. Who encourages Newton during his studies at Cambridge?
5. As described by Archimedes, what is always true about he diameter of the circle?
This section contains 336 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)