|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Extraordinary Sums of Leonhard Euler.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who challenged Tartaglia to a contest to solve cubic equations?
(a) del Ferro.
2. What were the main technique(s) that Euler used to find the sum of the series?
(a) Calculus methods.
(b) Trigonometry and basic algebra.
(c) Quadratic sums,
(d) Cubic equations.
3. What allowed Cardano to justify publishing his book?
(a) He was dead, and the book was really published by his student.
(b) He found Fior's documents which spoke against Tartaglia.
(c) He found del Ferro's orgininal solution to the cubic.
(d) He was punished as a heretic,
4. Who was Neil's Abel?
(a) He proved that to solve a quartic equation, one must use more than algebra.
(b) He demonstrated the modern version of the Pythagorean Theorem.
(c) He demonstrated that Cardano's solution to the cubic was incorrect,
(d) He proved that quintic equations cannot be solved using algebra.
5. Which of the following can not be solved using algebra?
(b) Geometric equation.
(c) Quintic equation.
(d) Quadratic equation.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Euler born?
2. What shape was NOT demonstrated in the Elements as having a relationship to other shapes?
3. Which of the following is an example of a perfect number?
4. Which mathematician was first to take the challenge to solve cubic equations?
5. In what time period did mathematicians find a solution to cubic equations?
This section contains 222 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)