|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Extraordinary Sums of Leonhard Euler.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is false about the modern implications of Euclid's number theory?
(a) Euclid's recipe for constructing even perfect numbers is incorrect.
(b) Euclid gave a good idea for how to construct even perfect numbers.
(c) Whether there are no odd perfect numbers is still not known.
(d) Great mathematicians continue to puzzle over some aspects of Euclid's number theory.
2. Which of the following was true about Cardano, according to Dunham?
(a) He was not a mathematician.
(b) He was a priest.
(c) He was jailed for heresy.
(d) He had three wives.
3. Which of the following can not be solved using algebra?
(b) Quadratic equation.
(c) Geometric equation.
(d) Quintic equation.
4. What was the title of Cardano's book which contained the solution to the cubic?
(b) Ars Magna.
(c) La Magnifica.
5. Which of the following was NOT defined by Euclid?
(a) Even numbers.
(b) Nominal numbers.
(c) Whole numbers.
(d) Odd numbers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What hindered Euler's work as he grew older?
2. Who was del Ferro's student?
3. What was most noticeable about Euler at a young age?
4. Who wrote a treatise that supposed that cubic equations may be impossible to solve?
5. What didn't Euler attempt?
This section contains 262 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)