|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Extraordinary Sums of Leonhard Euler.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following was one of Euclid's great theorems?
(a) Prime numbers are more comples than discrete numbers.
(b) There exists an finite number of prime numbers.
(c) There exists an infinite number of prime numbers.
(d) There exists only infinite and whole numbers.
2. What allowed Cardano to justify publishing his book?
(a) He found Fior's documents which spoke against Tartaglia.
(b) He was dead, and the book was really published by his student.
(c) He was punished as a heretic,
(d) He found del Ferro's orgininal solution to the cubic.
3. What was the title of Cardano's book which contained the solution to the cubic?
(c) La Magnifica.
(d) Ars Magna.
4. Who was Euler's teacher?
(a) Isaac Newton.
(b) Johann Bernoulli.
(c) Jakob Bernoulli.
(d) Gottfried Leibniz.
5. Numbers whose divisor add up to itself, was considered which type of number according to Euclid?
(a) Even number.
(b) Perfect number.
(c) Nominal number.
(d) Composite number.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which was true of Euclid's number theory?
2. Who asked Tartaglia for his solution to cubic equations?
3. In general, what did Euclid's number theory describe?
4. What did Plato use his inspiration from Euclid for?
5. What shape was NOT demonstrated in the Elements as having a relationship to other shapes?
This section contains 280 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)