|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Extraordinary Sums of Leonhard Euler.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the title of Cardano's book which contained the solution to the cubic?
(b) La Magnifica.
(c) Ars Magna.
2. In general, what did Euclid's number theory describe?
(a) The nature of whole numbers.
(b) The relationship of fractions to decimals.
(c) The nature of measuring geometry.
(d) The relationship of decimals to integers.
3. What did Euler's sum surprisingly connect?
(a) The circumference of a circle and right triangles.
(b) The area of squares and the area of circles.
(c) The area under a curve.
(d) The squares of area and square roots.
4. What is the sum of the series 1 + 1/2³ + 1/3³ + 1/4³ ... 1/k³ . . .?
(d) Nobody has determined the sum.
5. What else, besides a solution to cubic equations, was in Cardano's book?
(a) A suggested method to depress all complex geometry.
(b) A solution to quartic equations.
(c) A proof of the Pythagorean Theorem.
(d) An alegrabic solution to quintic equations,
Short Answer Questions
1. In what time period did mathematicians find a solution to cubic equations?
2. What series was Euler most famous for?
3. Who wrote a treatise that supposed that cubic equations may be impossible to solve?
4. How many sides did the pentadecagon have, as presented by Euclid?
5. Which of the following was an important proposition given by Euclid's number theory?
This section contains 251 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)