|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Extraordinary Sums of Leonhard Euler.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was Euler born?
2. Where was Neil's Abel from?
(c) Great Britian,
3. Who was Neil's Abel?
(a) He demonstrated the modern version of the Pythagorean Theorem.
(b) He proved that quintic equations cannot be solved using algebra.
(c) He demonstrated that Cardano's solution to the cubic was incorrect,
(d) He proved that to solve a quartic equation, one must use more than algebra.
4. Who wrote a treatise that supposed that cubic equations may be impossible to solve?
(a) Niccolo Fontana.
(b) Gerolamo Cardano.
(c) Luca Pacioli.
(d) Scipione del Ferro.
5. Which of the following is true in modern math about twin primes?
(a) Their sum is always another prime number.
(b) They are infinite.
(c) They are not considered whole numbers.
(d) We don't know if they are finite or infinite.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the title of Cardano's book which contained the solution to the cubic?
2. What was most noticeable about Euler at a young age?
3. What name did Euclid give for numbers that could be divided by numbers other than themselves and one?
4. What didn't Euler attempt?
5. Which of the following was true about Cardano, according to Dunham?
This section contains 260 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)