|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Indian who told Russell about his stolen goods in Part 2 was from what tribe?
2. What year was it when Russell spoke of setting up beaver traps under the waterline?
3. What disease had killed the Indians of the abandoned camp the men passed in Part 2?
4. How did Russell travel the last ten miles to Fort Hall in Part 2 (pp. 164-183)?
5. Which other animal did the panther primarily attack in the mountains?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were some of the characteristics of the springs that were near Lewis Lake?
2. Which skills are involved with buffalo hunting?
3. What did Russell observe at the Indian village at the end of Part 2 (pp. 124-143)?
4. What battle took place at the beginning of Part 2 (pp. 144-163)?
5. What happened when Russell saw a grizzly bear in its den in Part 2 (pp. 184-196)?
6. Which challenges did Russell and White face as they made their way back to Fort Hall after being wounded by Indians?
7. How was Russell's horse killed in 1838?
8. How were Russell and White injured by the Indians at the end of Part 2 (pp.144-163)?
9. Where did Russell and Elbridge store the buffalo in Part 2 (pp. 164-183), and what happened to it?
10. What did Russell talk to the Sioux Indian about in Part 2 (pp. 124-143)?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze three examples of help that Russell received from the Indians during his journey as a trapper. Also, include an explanation of Russell's initial impressions of the Indians before they offered their help and how significant their assistance was in his adventures.
Essay Topic 2
A rendezvous for trappers was a yearly event for trappers in America.
1) Describe the rendezvous for trappers, its location, and the activities that took place there.
2) Explain the possible reasons that July 4th was selected as the date of the rendezvous.
3) Analyze the events at the 1837 rendezvous, including the Indian battle that ensued there.
Essay Topic 3
A recurring situation for Russell was the alliance with friendly Indians against hostile tribes.
1) Describe which Indian tribes were against the hostile Indians.
2) Explain the reasons that the Indians might have had for joining forces with the trappers.
3) Analyze two battles from the book where the trappers were assisted by Indians in order to fight hostile tribes.
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)