|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Russell notice buffalo had already disappeared in Part 2 (pp. 184-196)?
2. What year was it when Russell spoke of setting up beaver traps under the waterline?
3. The Indian who told Russell about his stolen goods in Part 2 was from what tribe?
4. Who was with the Presbyterian preacher who was traveling back to the States in Part 2?
5. How many miles away was Fort Hall when Russell and White crossed the Teton Mountains pass in Part 2 (pp. 164-183)?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Russell and White hear as they escaped from the Indians in Part 2 (pp. 164-183)?
2. Which skills are involved with buffalo hunting?
3. How large can an elk grow, and what causes them to become disoriented?
4. What happened when Russell saw a grizzly bear in its den in Part 2 (pp. 184-196)?
5. How did Russell discuss the Shoshone Indians in the Appendix?
6. Which view did Russell describe at the beginning of Part 2 (pp. 184-196)?
7. Why did Russell resent the robes that Fontanelle gave to him and the other men at Fort William?
8. What facts about the wolverine did Russell provide in the Appendix?
9. How was Russell's horse killed in 1838?
10. How was Russell seriously injured in Willamette River?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the differences in the way that Russell, Allen, and Corm viewed the Secluded Valley. Include an analysis of Russell's description for the valley. How did each man's background influence that man's opinion of the Secluded Valley?
Essay Topic 2
Encounters with Indians were a common occurrence for Russell and the other trappers throughout the book.
1) Describe the differences between friendly and hostile Indians for the trappers.
2) Explain how Russell associated with certain tribes and what he learned from them.
3) Analyze three reports of Indian attacks from other trapping parties and Russell's response to them.
Essay Topic 3
In the last section of Osborne Russell's Journal of a Trapper, three of Russell's letters were included.
1) Describe the reasons why the book might have featured three of Russell's letters and the authenticity they added to it.
2) Explain three things that were written about by Russell in his letter to Martha, his sister.
3) Describe the life that Russell was living in California, based on the information provided in his 1899 letter.
4) Analyze the way that Russell said goodbye to the mountains, the animals he hunted, and the life that he knew as a trapper. Include why he composed his farewell in the form of a poem, the key memories he described in it, and the legacy that you think Russell will most likely be remembered for in the future.
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)