|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What year was it when Russell spoke of setting up beaver traps under the waterline?
2. Where was Russell when he saw a grizzly bear in its den?
3. What was Russell constructing when he was injured by an accidental explosion?
4. How tall can grizzlies grow to be?
5. How was the panther described in the Appendix?
Short Essay Questions
1. What facts about the wolverine did Russell provide in the Appendix?
2. How large can an elk grow, and what causes them to become disoriented?
3. Which view did Russell describe at the beginning of Part 2 (pp. 184-196)?
4. What did Russell and White hear as they escaped from the Indians in Part 2 (pp. 164-183)?
5. Which plan for trapping beavers along the Big Horn River did Russell discuss in Part 2 (pp. 124-143)?
6. How was Russell's horse killed in 1838?
7. Who was Mr. Biggs?
8. Where did Russell and Elbridge store the buffalo in Part 2 (pp. 164-183), and what happened to it?
9. Which challenges did Russell and White face as they made their way back to Fort Hall after being wounded by Indians?
10. What happened when Russell saw a grizzly bear in its den in Part 2 (pp. 184-196)?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe in detail the effect that scenery in general had on the book, Russell's life, and his journey. Use Russell's description of the Old Faithful geyser and the surrounding springs to support your analysis.
Essay Topic 2
Describe in detail the first two times that Russell encountered hostile Indians and the effect they had on Russell's view of the Indian tribes. For each event, explain the circumstances, location, and actions of both the Indians and the trappers.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the experiences that Russell had at Mutton Hill and Bridger's camp during the winter of 1836.
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)