|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many Indians did Russell encounter in Part 2 (pp.44-63) after descending the snow covered mountain?
2. Which one of the following was not included in the group of men that joined the expedition with Russell in Part 1?
3. What name did Russell have for the education the men were receiving during the winter on Yellowstone River?
4. When did Russell make the rendezvous where Mr. Wyeth brought supplies in Part 2 (pp.64-83)?
5. How long did the trappers wait before sneaking up on the Indians in the Teton Mountains?
Short Essay Questions
1. How and where was Fort Hall built?
2. What rumors about Indian attacks did Russell and the trappers hear in Part 1?
3. What did the trappers do when they were surrounded by the Indians in the Teton Mountains on June 28th?
4. What happened when four trappers decided to desert the group in September, 1835?
5. What happened at the July 4th rendezvous in 1837?
6. What happened when Russell first encountered a grizzly bear in Part 1?
7. How did Russell describe the Yellowstone Lake area in Part 2 (pp. 84-103)?
8. How did the trappers cross Lewis' Fork in June, 1835?
9. How did the Indians help Russell in the mountains in Part 2 (pp. 44-63)?
10. What made hunting difficult for Russell and the other trappers in the spring of 1835?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
During his adventures, Russell returned to the Teton Mountains a number of times.
1) Describe the Teton Mountains, their terrain, and the animals that lived there.
2) Explain the challenges of hunting in the mountains, using two examples from the book.
3) Analyze two events that took place in the Teton Mountains and why they were important to Russell's journey.
Essay Topic 2
Following his career as a trapper, Russell became actively involved with the war between United States citizens and the Indians that was taking place during that time period.
1) Describe the main concerns that Russell had about the Indians and the settlers of the Oregon Territory.
2) Explain two events that Russell described to represent the problem in the Oregon Territory.
3) Analyze the frustration that Russell had with the government's lack of assistance for the settlers and the steps that he took to contribute to a resolution process.
Essay Topic 3
A rendezvous for trappers was a yearly event for trappers in America.
1) Describe the rendezvous for trappers, its location, and the activities that took place there.
2) Explain the possible reasons that July 4th was selected as the date of the rendezvous.
3) Analyze the events at the 1837 rendezvous, including the Indian battle that ensued there.
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)