|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Russell use to cut through the ice while hiking up the the snow covered mountain in Part 2 (pp.44-63)?
2. Which animal do the men kill and eat while staying at Secluded Valley in Part 2 (pp. 104-123)?
3. By Fontanelle's instructions, when was Russell's group supposed to meet with the main party again in Part 2 (pp. 104-123)?
4. How many men planned to go to Yellowstone Lake at the end of Part 1?
5. What tribe of friendly Indians did Russell meet at the 25-Yard River?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the trappers split up in Part 2 (pp. 44-63)?
2. Which Indians did Russell meet at Yellowstone in Part 2 (pp. 44-63), and what did he trade with them?
3. Where was Fort Mutton located, and what was Russell's stay like while he was there?
4. When did Osborne Russell's Journal of a Trapper begin and who joined him?
5. How did the Indians help Russell in the mountains in Part 2 (pp. 44-63)?
6. What did the trappers do when they were surrounded by the Indians in the Teton Mountains on June 28th?
7. How did the trappers respond to the apology given to them by the Indians at the end of Part 2 (pp. 104-123)?
8. What happened when Russell first encountered a grizzly bear in Part 1?
9. What were Russell's opinions of his party's leader and his mission in Part 2 (pp. 64-83)?
10. What rumors about Indian attacks did Russell and the trappers hear in Part 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe in detail the first two times that Russell encountered hostile Indians and the effect they had on Russell's view of the Indian tribes. For each event, explain the circumstances, location, and actions of both the Indians and the trappers.
Essay Topic 2
Examine three examples of lessons that Russell learned at the beginning of his expedition to the Rockies. Include an explanation of the significance of the lessons, how they were used later in his life, and the ways that they helped Russell be successful as a trapper.
Essay Topic 3
Encounters with Indians were a common occurrence for Russell and the other trappers throughout the book.
1) Describe the differences between friendly and hostile Indians for the trappers.
2) Explain how Russell associated with certain tribes and what he learned from them.
3) Analyze three reports of Indian attacks from other trapping parties and Russell's response to them.
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)