|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many others joined Russell as the group split up at Jackson's Hole?
2. What name did Russell have for the education the men were receiving during the winter on Yellowstone River?
3. Which animal did Russell and some other trappers hunt to keep a steady food supply during the winter in Part 2 (pp. 84-103)?
4. While camping with Bridger's men between February and March, how did Russell describe the provisions?
5. How many Indians did Russell encounter in Part 2 (pp.44-63) after descending the snow covered mountain?
Short Essay Questions
1. What precautions did Russell take to avoid being ambushed by Indians at the Big Horn River area in Part 2 (pp. 84-103)?
2. What rumors about Indian attacks did Russell and the trappers hear in Part 1?
3. How did the trappers cross Lewis' Fork in June, 1835?
4. Who was with Russell when he traveled to the Secluded Valley in Part 2 (pp. 84-103), and how did his companions view the scenery?
5. Who was Howell?
6. What happened when four trappers decided to desert the group in September, 1835?
7. How did the trappers avoid a battle with the Indians in February, 1837?
8. How and where was Fort Hall built?
9. How was Russell introduced to the Snake Indians?
10. How did Russell describe the Yellowstone Lake area in Part 2 (pp. 84-103)?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A recurring situation for Russell was the alliance with friendly Indians against hostile tribes.
1) Describe which Indian tribes were against the hostile Indians.
2) Explain the reasons that the Indians might have had for joining forces with the trappers.
3) Analyze two battles from the book where the trappers were assisted by Indians in order to fight hostile tribes.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the experiences that Russell had at Mutton Hill and Bridger's camp during the winter of 1836.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the differences in the way that Russell, Allen, and Corm viewed the Secluded Valley. Include an analysis of Russell's description for the valley. How did each man's background influence that man's opinion of the Secluded Valley?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)