|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What tribe of friendly Indians did Russell meet at the 25-Yard River?
2. Where was the raft found the next day, after being separated from the men in Part 2 (pp.44-63)?
3. Which creek did Russell travel to after passing the Salt River during the Spring in Part 2 (pp.64-83)?
4. Including Russell, how many men did Wyeth leave at Fort Hall in Part 1?
5. When did the men first see the Indians in the Teton Mountains in Part 2 (pp.44-63)?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Russell with for the July 4, 1836, rendezvous, and where did they travel to when the rendezvous was finished?
2. When did Osborne Russell's Journal of a Trapper begin and who joined him?
3. What happened when four trappers decided to desert the group in September, 1835?
4. What did the trappers do when they were surrounded by the Indians in the Teton Mountains on June 28th?
5. What made hunting difficult for Russell and the other trappers in the spring of 1835?
6. What was the Secluded Valley like at night, and what did Russell hunt there in 1837?
7. How did Russell characterize the Crow Indians in Part 2 (pp.84-103)?
8. Who was Howell?
9. How were Russell and the other trappers robbed by the Indians in Part 2 (pp. 104-123)?
10. Where was Fort Mutton located, and what was Russell's stay like while he was there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the major events in the book was the robbery by the Crow Indians.
1) Describe the meeting between Russell, Allen, and Corm, and the Crow Indians before the robbery.
2) Explain how the robbery occurred, what was stolen, and the way that the horses and items were eventually recovered.
3) Analyze the trappers' reaction to the robbery and the Chief's apology. What effect did the robbery have on Russell's view of the Indians?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the differences in the way that Russell, Allen, and Corm viewed the Secluded Valley. Include an analysis of Russell's description for the valley. How did each man's background influence that man's opinion of the Secluded Valley?
Essay Topic 3
In Journal of a Trapper, Fort Hall was a place that represented security for Russell.
1) Describe how Fort Hall was first constructed and why.
2) Explain three examples of how Russell returned to Fort Hall and what the fort provided in each example.
3) Analyze the changes that were made to Fort Hall throughout the story and the effect they had on Russell's story.
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)