|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During what month did Russell see a grizzly bear in its den in Part 2?
2. How was the panther described in the Appendix?
(a) A destructive animal.
(b) A fast animal.
(c) A resilient animal.
(d) A clever animal.
3. As Part 2 (pp. 124-143) began, what were the men still doing in order to survive the winter?
(a) Neither lighting fires nor killing animals.
(b) Lighting fires, but not killing animals.
(c) Lighting fires and killing animals.
(d) Killing animals, but not lighting fires.
4. Which animal ate the rest of the mountain sheep that Russell had stored?
5. The Indian who told Russell about his stolen goods in Part 2 was from what tribe?
6. Why was Russell having problems walking after not eating for three days on his way to Fort Hall?
(b) An injured foot.
(c) A cramp in his leg.
(d) Infection of an old wound.
7. On what day did the four Americans return to Fort Hall for the winter in Part 2 (pp. 164-183)?
(a) December 10.
(b) November 20.
(c) November 5.
(d) December 5.
8. How did Russell describe the thunderstorms near Grey's River?
(a) Never with rain.
(b) With or without rain, and sporadic.
(c) With or without rain, and often.
(d) Always with rain.
9. Which three colors were in the stream near Old Faithful in Part 2 (pp. 144-163)?
(a) Red, white, and purple.
(b) Red, blue, and yellow.
(c) Red, white, and blue.
(d) Red, yellow, and purple.
10. Why was the hunting that Russell did with Elbridge in the mountains dangerous?
(a) The temperatures were colder.
(b) The ice was slippery.
(c) The animals were more defensive.
(d) It was easier to get lost.
11. How did Russell travel the last ten miles to Fort Hall in Part 2 (pp. 164-183)?
(a) On a stretcher.
(b) On foot.
(c) By horse.
(d) On a wagon.
12. How many new buffalo robes did Fontanelle have for sale in his warehouse?
(a) Three hundred.
(b) Two hundred.
(c) Five hundred.
(d) Four hundred.
13. How was the Indian Chief's reaction to the stolen goods described in Part 2 (pp. 124-143)?
14. What did the Indians use Flathead language for at the end of Part 2?
(a) To warn the trappers.
(b) To insult the trappers.
(c) To ask the trappers a question.
(d) To lecture the trappers.
15. How did Russell gather water to drink for White and himself?
(a) In a boot.
(b) In a metal cup.
(c) In his hat.
(d) In a jar.
Short Answer Questions
1. How were the stolen beaver skins recognized as belonging to Russell?
2. What other hunted animal did Russell compare the hunting of buffalo to in the Appendix?
3. During what year was Fort Hall purchased from Mr. Wyeth?
4. How many miles away was Fort Hall when Russell and White crossed the Teton Mountains pass in Part 2 (pp. 164-183)?
5. Which other animal did the panther primarily attack in the mountains?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)