|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what periodical is an article written that finds Mr. Adams makes an agreeable character due to his innocence?
2. Who writes "The Life and Adventures of the Renown'd Don Quixote"?
3. Unlike Joseph Andrews, Mr. Wilson's difficulties initially result from _______.
4. What are Mr. Booby's intentions towards Shamela?
5. In Modern Criticism, Mark Spilka's "Comic Resolution in Fielding's 'Joseph Andrews'" claims the _____ adventures at Booby Hall are among the most memorable scenes in the story.
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Adams similar to Don Quixote?
2. What does Thomas Gray say about Fielding's work?
3. What does Wilson's choices in London reveal about his character?
4. Why is Pamela called Shamela by a clergyman?
5. How is Le Roman Comique similar to Joseph Andrews?
6. How is "Histoire de Gil Blas de Santillane" similar to Fielding's work?
7. What is the significance of the night adventures at Booby Hall according to Mark Spilka's "Comic Resolution in Fielding's 'Joseph Andrews'"?
8. Why is Pamela uncomfortable at the Lincolnshire estate where she is abducted?
9. Why do many critics like Fielding's characterization of Adams?
10. How do Adam and Lady Booby differ in their reaction to Joseph and Fanny's arrival after Joseph rescues Fanny?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the social, cultural, and economic environment of Joseph Andrews. What are common customs? What is considered taboo? How do characters such as the Parson and clergyman offer his values and beliefs to Joseph? What effect does this have on Joseph and which values does he adopt?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the concept of loneliness as exhibited in Joseph Andrews; with Shamela; and Related Writings. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 3
Choose a character that Joseph grows to like and become familiar with. How does their relationship evolve?
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)