|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Mr. B kisses Pamela while she is in bed, she almost ________ out of fear.
2. In Letter 1, to whom does Shamela write a letter to about accommodations?
3. Who writes "Le Roman Comique"?
4. In Dick Taylor Jr.'s "Joseph as Hero in 'Joseph Andrew,s'" when does Joseph exhibit a change of character?
5. What are Mr. Booby's intentions towards Shamela?
Essay Topic 1
Secrecy is a recurring theme in Joseph Andrews; with Shamela; and Related Writings. Which characters have secrets and what are they? How are these secrets revealed? Do these secrets result in ominous consequences or not? Do any of them have happy endings?
Essay Topic 2
Explain Fielding's use of humor in the story. Cite examples of at least two different instances of humor, and explain why the author used them where he did.
Essay Topic 3
Fielding employs simple, minimalist, yet effective language that employs powerful symbolism. Choose an example of symbolism, briefly describe it, and identify the technique which it embodies.
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)