|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Don Quixote defeat in a fight and sends the man to present himself to Lady Donna Dulcinea?
2. What Christian value is discussed in "Thematic Meaning and Structure"?
3. What does the squire do to the boy after Don Quixote interferes?
4. Where does Adam end up sleeping, tired after the confusion surrounding Didapper, Fanny, Booby, and others with regards to sleeping and sex?
5. How many men do Destiny and Cave separate in nightshirts to stop them from fighting at the inn where they are staying?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Thomas Gray say about Fielding's work?
2. How does Fielding define charity?
3. What is the comparison in Marivaux's novel that is similar to Fielding's work?
4. In Sheldon Sacks's "Fielding's Guidance of the Reader's Attitudes in Book 1, Chapters 1-11," how is the narrator described?
5. In Martin C. Battlestin's "Thematic Meaning and Structure," what motifs are revealed?
6. How does the squire respond to Don Quixote's request regarding the boy in "The Life and Adventures of the Renown'd Don Quixote"?
7. Why is Pamela uncomfortable at the Lincolnshire estate where she is abducted?
8. How does the peddler assist Joseph in finding his true identity?
9. Why does Shamela plot to seduce Mr. Booby?
10. How is Adams similar to Don Quixote?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Education is an important theme throughout the story. Who is educated? Who is not? What is the importance of a school education versus one of "real life"? How does Joseph gain knowledge in both? How does he change?
Essay Topic 2
Compare the depiction of the female character of Fanny in the book with Shamela. How are their ultimate experiences similar? What is the lesson that the author wishes to convey through these examples?
Essay Topic 3
Secrecy is a recurring theme in Joseph Andrews; with Shamela; and Related Writings. Which characters have secrets and what are they? How are these secrets revealed? Do these secrets result in ominous consequences or not? Do any of them have happy endings?
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)