|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is quiet while vice is boisterous according to Fielding?
2. Why does Ragotin borrow a horse initially in "Le Roman Comique"?
3. When Adams marries Joseph and Fanny, where do the couple retire to with money given by Mr. Booby to Fanny?
4. What is Conyers's relationship to Hervey in "The History of the Life of Marcus Tullius Cicero"?
5. When Lady Booby surprises Adams's household with her arrival, who does she try to set Fanny up with?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "An Essay on the Knowledge of the Characters of Men," what does Fielding say about deceit?
2. How is "Histoire de Gil Blas de Santillane" similar to Fielding's work?
3. Why does Mr. Booby go to ecclesiastical court?
4. What does Wilson's choices in London reveal about his character?
5. How does the peddler assist Joseph in finding his true identity?
6. How does the squire respond to Don Quixote's request regarding the boy in "The Life and Adventures of the Renown'd Don Quixote"?
7. How is Pamela different from Shamela in her reaction to Mr. Booby?
8. Why is Shamela willing to hide her relationship from her mother at Williams's request?
9. In "Essay on Good Nature," what does Fielding say about good and ill nature?
10. In Sheldon Sacks's "Fielding's Guidance of the Reader's Attitudes in Book 1, Chapters 1-11," how is the narrator described?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fielding employs simple, minimalist, yet effective language that employs powerful symbolism. Choose an example of symbolism, briefly describe it, and identify the technique which it embodies.
Essay Topic 2
Explain Fielding's use of humor in the story. Cite examples of at least two different instances of humor, and explain why the author used them where he did.
Essay Topic 3
Secrecy is a recurring theme in Joseph Andrews; with Shamela; and Related Writings. Which characters have secrets and what are they? How are these secrets revealed? Do these secrets result in ominous consequences or not? Do any of them have happy endings?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)