|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what periodical is an article written that finds Mr. Adams makes an agreeable character due to his innocence?
2. Who writes "Le Roman Comique"?
3. What does Shamela pretend to do when Mr. Booby touches her bosom in Letter 6?
4. In what year does Fielding leave "The Champion" because he is disenchanted with the opposition?
5. What does the squire do to the boy after Don Quixote interferes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Shamela plot to seduce Mr. Booby?
2. In "Essay on Reputation," how does Fielding distinguish virtue and vice?
3. In "Essay on Good Nature," what does Fielding say about good and ill nature?
4. Why is Shamela willing to hide her relationship from her mother at Williams's request?
5. How does Fielding show his political beliefs in his work?
6. Why is Pamela called Shamela by a clergyman?
7. Why does Mr. Booby go to ecclesiastical court?
8. How is Pamela different from Shamela in her reaction to Mr. Booby?
9. How is Adams similar to Don Quixote?
10. How do Adams and Joseph reveal the essential virtues of the good man?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of loneliness as exhibited in Joseph Andrews; with Shamela; and Related Writings. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 2
There are many autobiographical features in Joseph Andrews; with Shamela; and Related Writings, and they are believed to belong to Fielding. Which aspects appear invented and which characters seem modeled or inspired by real people in Fielding's life?
Essay Topic 3
Money has particular significance in the Joseph Andrews; with Shamela; and Related Writings. What is the significance of having money in the story? Who chases after money? Who has money? Who loses money? Who gains money? What does Fielding ultimately say about money through Joseph and the priests and what is the importance of this discovery and theses characters' roles?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)