|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Dick Taylor Jr.'s "Joseph as Hero in 'Joseph Andrew,s'" when does Joseph exhibit a change of character?
2. When Fanny was stolen by gypsies, who was put in her place as a child to be raised by the Andrews?
3. What is John Lord Hervey considered in "The History of the Life of Marcus Tullius Cicero"?
4. When Lady Booby returns to London, what does she play to forget Joseph?
5. In "The Apology for the Clergy," what does Fielding say is serviceable to detect and expose in the clergy?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Dick Taylor Jr.'s "Joseph as Hero in 'Joseph Andrews,'" how is Joseph characterized?
2. How is Adams similar to Don Quixote?
3. In Sheldon Sacks's "Fielding's Guidance of the Reader's Attitudes in Book 1, Chapters 1-11," how is the narrator described?
4. How does the squire respond to Don Quixote's request regarding the boy in "The Life and Adventures of the Renown'd Don Quixote"?
5. Why is Pamela called Shamela by a clergyman?
6. How is Pamela different from Shamela in her reaction to Mr. Booby?
7. When Joseph rescues Fanny from the ill intentions of Beau Didapper, what does Lady Booby's presence at Adam's house reveal?
8. How is "Histoire de Gil Blas de Santillane" similar to Fielding's work?
9. Why do many critics like Fielding's characterization of Adams?
10. How do Adams and Joseph reveal the essential virtues of the good man?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of loneliness as exhibited in Joseph Andrews; with Shamela; and Related Writings. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 2
Money has particular significance in the Joseph Andrews; with Shamela; and Related Writings. What is the significance of having money in the story? Who chases after money? Who has money? Who loses money? Who gains money? What does Fielding ultimately say about money through Joseph and the priests and what is the importance of this discovery and theses characters' roles?
Essay Topic 3
Choose a character that Joseph grows to like and become familiar with. How does their relationship evolve?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)