|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what periodical is an article written that finds Mr. Adams makes an agreeable character due to his innocence?
2. Where does Benjamin Hoadley work that reflects the politics of the era in which Fielding leaves?
3. What sound makes Ragotin tumble off his horse in "Le Roman Comique"?
4. What does Shamela pretend to do when Mr. Booby touches her bosom in Letter 6?
5. What Christian value is discussed in "Thematic Meaning and Structure"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Wilson's choices in London reveal about his character?
2. How do Adams and Joseph reveal the essential virtues of the good man?
3. What is the comparison in Marivaux's novel that is similar to Fielding's work?
4. How do Adam and Lady Booby differ in their reaction to Joseph and Fanny's arrival after Joseph rescues Fanny?
5. What does Thomas Gray say about Fielding's work?
6. What is the significance of the night adventures at Booby Hall according to Mark Spilka's "Comic Resolution in Fielding's 'Joseph Andrews'"?
7. How does Fielding show his political beliefs in his work?
8. In "Essay on Good Nature," what does Fielding say about good and ill nature?
9. Why does Mr. Booby go to ecclesiastical court?
10. How is Adams similar to Don Quixote?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of loneliness as exhibited in Joseph Andrews; with Shamela; and Related Writings. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 2
Adventure is a recurring theme in Joseph Andrews; with Shamela; and Related Writings. Why is adventure important? How does this help Joseph grow? How does this whet his appetite for life? Describe some of the changes and experiences Joseph has through his adventures. Do these changes result in positive or negative consequences?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in Joseph Andrews; with Shamela; and Related Writings. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)