|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has decided to write a book about the courtship of Booby and Shamela?
2. Who writes "Pamela, or Virtue Rewarded"?
3. What does Mr. Booby do to Shamela in Letter 2 until Jervis stops him?
4. When is "Essay on Good Nature" written?
5. What are Mr. Booby's intentions towards Shamela?
Essay Topic 1
Education is an important theme throughout the story. Who is educated? Who is not? What is the importance of a school education versus one of "real life"? How does Joseph gain knowledge in both? How does he change?
Essay Topic 2
Adventure is a recurring theme in Joseph Andrews; with Shamela; and Related Writings. Why is adventure important? How does this help Joseph grow? How does this whet his appetite for life? Describe some of the changes and experiences Joseph has through his adventures. Do these changes result in positive or negative consequences?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the concept of self-empowerment as exhibited in Joseph Andrews. Which of the characters is self-empowered? How does Joseph learn to make decisions for himself?
This section contains 923 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)