|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Pamela abducted in "Pamela, or Virtue Rewarded"?
2. What happens to the person from Grenada that Gil is unsure of how to help him recover from?
3. What does Joseph have that identifies him as Wilson's son?
4. What year is "The Apology for the Clergy" written?
5. What is Conyers's relationship to Hervey in "The History of the Life of Marcus Tullius Cicero"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Wilson's choices in London reveal about his character?
2. In Martin C. Battlestin's "Thematic Meaning and Structure," what motifs are revealed?
3. In Dick Taylor Jr.'s "Joseph as Hero in 'Joseph Andrews,'" how is Joseph characterized?
4. How does the peddler assist Joseph in finding his true identity?
5. Why is Pamela called Shamela by a clergyman?
6. Why does Mr. Booby go to ecclesiastical court?
7. How is Adams similar to Don Quixote?
8. What does Thomas Gray say about Fielding's work?
9. How is Pamela different from Shamela in her reaction to Mr. Booby?
10. What is the significance of the night adventures at Booby Hall according to Mark Spilka's "Comic Resolution in Fielding's 'Joseph Andrews'"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Corruption in society is a prevailing theme of Joseph Andrews; with Shamela; and Related Writings. Fielding frequently refers to this theme, painting a bleak picture of London society. Which characters appear corrupt and why? Which characters appear to rise above corruption even if they were initially vulnerable to it? What is your opinion of the society that Fielding describes?
Essay Topic 2
Adventure is a recurring theme in Joseph Andrews; with Shamela; and Related Writings. Why is adventure important? How does this help Joseph grow? How does this whet his appetite for life? Describe some of the changes and experiences Joseph has through his adventures. Do these changes result in positive or negative consequences?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one instance of irony in Joseph Andrews; with Shamela; and Related Writings. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the book and note why they are examples of irony.
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)