|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Fielding professes that the clergyman is a successor of ___________'s disciples, the essay on clergy concludes.
2. Who does Fielding frequently satirize in "The Champion"?
3. In "The Apology for the Clergy," what does Fielding say is serviceable to detect and expose in the clergy?
4. In Shamela, Parson Tickletext writes Parson Oliver with a copy of _____.
5. On what day in April does the essay on clergy conclude?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the peddler assist Joseph in finding his true identity?
2. In "An Essay on the Knowledge of the Characters of Men," what does Fielding say about deceit?
3. Why do many critics like Fielding's characterization of Adams?
4. Why does Mr. Booby go to ecclesiastical court?
5. How do Adams and Joseph reveal the essential virtues of the good man?
6. How is "Histoire de Gil Blas de Santillane" similar to Fielding's work?
7. What is the significance of the night adventures at Booby Hall according to Mark Spilka's "Comic Resolution in Fielding's 'Joseph Andrews'"?
8. How is Adams similar to Don Quixote?
9. In Sheldon Sacks's "Fielding's Guidance of the Reader's Attitudes in Book 1, Chapters 1-11," how is the narrator described?
10. In Dick Taylor Jr.'s "Joseph as Hero in 'Joseph Andrews,'" how is Joseph characterized?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Money has particular significance in the Joseph Andrews; with Shamela; and Related Writings. What is the significance of having money in the story? Who chases after money? Who has money? Who loses money? Who gains money? What does Fielding ultimately say about money through Joseph and the priests and what is the importance of this discovery and theses characters' roles?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the concept of self-empowerment as exhibited in Joseph Andrews. Which of the characters is self-empowered? How does Joseph learn to make decisions for himself?
Essay Topic 3
Explain Fielding's use of humor in the story. Cite examples of at least two different instances of humor, and explain why the author used them where he did.
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)