|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What Christian value is discussed in "Thematic Meaning and Structure"?
2. Where does Shamela go when Mrs. Jervis plans to sell her to Mr. Booby?
3. When Adams marries Joseph and Fanny, where do the couple retire to with money given by Mr. Booby to Fanny?
4. Who does Fielding frequently satirize in "The Champion"?
5. What character does James Beattie think Fielding brings to masterly invention in Joseph Andrews?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "An Essay on the Knowledge of the Characters of Men," what does Fielding say about deceit?
2. Why do many critics like Fielding's characterization of Adams?
3. In Martin C. Battlestin's "Thematic Meaning and Structure," what motifs are revealed?
4. Why does Shamela plot to seduce Mr. Booby?
5. How does Fielding show his political beliefs in his work?
6. How is "Histoire de Gil Blas de Santillane" similar to Fielding's work?
7. What is the significance of the night adventures at Booby Hall according to Mark Spilka's "Comic Resolution in Fielding's 'Joseph Andrews'"?
8. What does Wilson's choices in London reveal about his character?
9. Why is Shamela willing to hide her relationship from her mother at Williams's request?
10. Why is Pamela uncomfortable at the Lincolnshire estate where she is abducted?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one instance of irony in Joseph Andrews; with Shamela; and Related Writings. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the book and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 2
Corruption in society is a prevailing theme of Joseph Andrews; with Shamela; and Related Writings. Fielding frequently refers to this theme, painting a bleak picture of London society. Which characters appear corrupt and why? Which characters appear to rise above corruption even if they were initially vulnerable to it? What is your opinion of the society that Fielding describes?
Essay Topic 3
Love and sexuality is a theme within the story. Describe how Joseph grows aware of sexuality and the principles he learns about love from his journey.
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)