|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Adams marries Joseph and Fanny, where do the couple retire to with money given by Mr. Booby to Fanny?
2. What is the message conveyed in the copy of work that Parson Tickletext writes Parson Oliver about?
3. Who writes "Thematic Meaning and Structure"?
4. Who discovers the parentage of Fanny?
5. Who has decided to write a book about the courtship of Booby and Shamela?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mr. Booby go to ecclesiastical court?
2. What is the comparison in Marivaux's novel that is similar to Fielding's work?
3. How is Adams similar to Don Quixote?
4. Why is Pamela called Shamela by a clergyman?
5. What does Wilson's choices in London reveal about his character?
6. In "Essay on Reputation," how does Fielding distinguish virtue and vice?
7. How do Adam and Lady Booby differ in their reaction to Joseph and Fanny's arrival after Joseph rescues Fanny?
8. When Joseph rescues Fanny from the ill intentions of Beau Didapper, what does Lady Booby's presence at Adam's house reveal?
9. In Sheldon Sacks's "Fielding's Guidance of the Reader's Attitudes in Book 1, Chapters 1-11," how is the narrator described?
10. What does Thomas Gray say about Fielding's work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in Joseph Andrews; with Shamela; and Related Writings. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
Compare the depiction of the female character of Fanny in the book with Shamela. How are their ultimate experiences similar? What is the lesson that the author wishes to convey through these examples?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Parson Williams. What is his role in Joseph Andrews; with Shamela; and Related Writings? What was Fielding trying to accomplish by creating his character in the story?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)