|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Thematic Meaning and Structure," what themes are discussed?
2. What does Shamela pretend to do when Mr. Booby touches her bosom in Letter 6?
3. Where does Shamela go when Mrs. Jervis plans to sell her to Mr. Booby?
4. What is the first value a clergyman must possess according to Fielding?
5. What does Joseph have that identifies him as Wilson's son?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Money has particular significance in the Joseph Andrews; with Shamela; and Related Writings. What is the significance of having money in the story? Who chases after money? Who has money? Who loses money? Who gains money? What does Fielding ultimately say about money through Joseph and the priests and what is the importance of this discovery and theses characters' roles?
Essay Topic 2
Adventure is a recurring theme in Joseph Andrews; with Shamela; and Related Writings. Why is adventure important? How does this help Joseph grow? How does this whet his appetite for life? Describe some of the changes and experiences Joseph has through his adventures. Do these changes result in positive or negative consequences?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one instance of irony in Joseph Andrews; with Shamela; and Related Writings. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the book and note why they are examples of irony.
This section contains 946 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)