|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Adams and Joseph Andrews embody the essential virtues of __________ in "Thematic Meaning and Structure"?
2. What does the squire do to the boy after Don Quixote interferes?
3. What is Conyers's relationship to Hervey in "The History of the Life of Marcus Tullius Cicero"?
4. When Fanny was stolen by gypsies, who was put in her place as a child to be raised by the Andrews?
5. What sound makes Ragotin tumble off his horse in "Le Roman Comique"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Shamela plot to seduce Mr. Booby?
2. Why does Mr. Booby go to ecclesiastical court?
3. How do Adam and Lady Booby differ in their reaction to Joseph and Fanny's arrival after Joseph rescues Fanny?
4. How is Le Roman Comique similar to Joseph Andrews?
5. When Joseph rescues Fanny from the ill intentions of Beau Didapper, what does Lady Booby's presence at Adam's house reveal?
6. In "Essay on Reputation," how does Fielding distinguish virtue and vice?
7. In "Essay on Good Nature," what does Fielding say about good and ill nature?
8. What does Wilson's choices in London reveal about his character?
9. What is the comparison in Marivaux's novel that is similar to Fielding's work?
10. Why is Shamela willing to hide her relationship from her mother at Williams's request?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Joseph Andrews; with Shamela; and Related Writings is particularly effective in conveying meaning through powerful imagery. Powerful establishes connections in the minds of readers with the story's characters and plot. Imagery is the picture we form in our minds of the story we read. It can involve visual, auditory, olfactory, gustatory, tactile, kinetic, and kinesthetic stimuli. The author uses these images to translate words into a visual story that we can see and participate in within our minds. Describe the use of imagery in this story.
Essay Topic 2
Describe some of the settings for Joseph Andrews; with Shamela; and Related Writings. What is the overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period, and any pertinent popular culture events. How do these settings, even if imaginary, reflect modern settings or culture? Why did the author choose to use these places in the tales?
Essay Topic 3
Adventure is a recurring theme in Joseph Andrews; with Shamela; and Related Writings. Why is adventure important? How does this help Joseph grow? How does this whet his appetite for life? Describe some of the changes and experiences Joseph has through his adventures. Do these changes result in positive or negative consequences?
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)