|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the squire do to the boy after Don Quixote interferes?
2. When Fanny was stolen by gypsies, who was put in her place as a child to be raised by the Andrews?
3. Adams and Joseph Andrews embody the essential virtues of __________ in "Thematic Meaning and Structure"?
4. In "Thematic Meaning and Structure," what themes are discussed?
5. Where does Adam end up sleeping, tired after the confusion surrounding Didapper, Fanny, Booby, and others with regards to sleeping and sex?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Fielding show his political beliefs in his work?
2. How is Pamela different from Shamela in her reaction to Mr. Booby?
3. How does the peddler assist Joseph in finding his true identity?
4. How do Adams and Joseph reveal the essential virtues of the good man?
5. What does Wilson's choices in London reveal about his character?
6. In Martin C. Battlestin's "Thematic Meaning and Structure," what motifs are revealed?
7. Why is Shamela willing to hide her relationship from her mother at Williams's request?
8. What does Thomas Gray say about Fielding's work?
9. Why does Shamela plot to seduce Mr. Booby?
10. What is the comparison in Marivaux's novel that is similar to Fielding's work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Corruption in society is a prevailing theme of Joseph Andrews; with Shamela; and Related Writings. Fielding frequently refers to this theme, painting a bleak picture of London society. Which characters appear corrupt and why? Which characters appear to rise above corruption even if they were initially vulnerable to it? What is your opinion of the society that Fielding describes?
Essay Topic 2
Education is an important theme throughout the story. Who is educated? Who is not? What is the importance of a school education versus one of "real life"? How does Joseph gain knowledge in both? How does he change?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Parson Williams. What is his role in Joseph Andrews; with Shamela; and Related Writings? What was Fielding trying to accomplish by creating his character in the story?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)