|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Fielding frequently satirize in "The Champion"?
2. In "Histoire de Gil Blas de Santillane," who does Gil meet from Grenada?
3. What does Parson Williams advise Shamela to deny regarding Henrietta?
4. What sound makes Ragotin tumble off his horse in "Le Roman Comique"?
5. On what day in April does the essay on clergy conclude?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Adam and Lady Booby differ in their reaction to Joseph and Fanny's arrival after Joseph rescues Fanny?
2. When Joseph rescues Fanny from the ill intentions of Beau Didapper, what does Lady Booby's presence at Adam's house reveal?
3. In Sheldon Sacks's "Fielding's Guidance of the Reader's Attitudes in Book 1, Chapters 1-11," how is the narrator described?
4. Why do many critics like Fielding's characterization of Adams?
5. In Dick Taylor Jr.'s "Joseph as Hero in 'Joseph Andrews,'" how is Joseph characterized?
6. How does Fielding define charity?
7. In "An Essay on the Knowledge of the Characters of Men," what does Fielding say about deceit?
8. Why does Mr. Booby go to ecclesiastical court?
9. How do Adams and Joseph reveal the essential virtues of the good man?
10. How does the squire respond to Don Quixote's request regarding the boy in "The Life and Adventures of the Renown'd Don Quixote"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of self-empowerment as exhibited in Joseph Andrews. Which of the characters is self-empowered? How does Joseph learn to make decisions for himself?
Essay Topic 2
Choose a character that Joseph grows to like and become familiar with. How does their relationship evolve?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the social, cultural, and economic environment of Joseph Andrews. What are common customs? What is considered taboo? How do characters such as the Parson and clergyman offer his values and beliefs to Joseph? What effect does this have on Joseph and which values does he adopt?
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)