|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Don Quixote try to dissuade a squire from doing to a boy?
2. As Fielding professes that the clergyman is a successor of ___________'s disciples, the essay on clergy concludes.
3. In what periodical is an article written that finds Mr. Adams makes an agreeable character due to his innocence?
4. When Lady Booby returns to London, what does she play to forget Joseph?
5. In what year does Fielding leave "The Champion" because he is disenchanted with the opposition?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Pamela different from Shamela in her reaction to Mr. Booby?
2. In "Essay on Good Nature," what does Fielding say about good and ill nature?
3. How do Adam and Lady Booby differ in their reaction to Joseph and Fanny's arrival after Joseph rescues Fanny?
4. In Martin C. Battlestin's "Thematic Meaning and Structure," what motifs are revealed?
5. Why is Shamela willing to hide her relationship from her mother at Williams's request?
6. What does Wilson's choices in London reveal about his character?
7. How is Adams similar to Don Quixote?
8. What is shocking about the peddler's revelation about Fanny's heritage?
9. Why do many critics like Fielding's characterization of Adams?
10. How does Fielding define charity?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Secrecy is a recurring theme in Joseph Andrews; with Shamela; and Related Writings. Which characters have secrets and what are they? How are these secrets revealed? Do these secrets result in ominous consequences or not? Do any of them have happy endings?
Essay Topic 2
Describe some of the settings for Joseph Andrews; with Shamela; and Related Writings. What is the overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period, and any pertinent popular culture events. How do these settings, even if imaginary, reflect modern settings or culture? Why did the author choose to use these places in the tales?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the social, cultural, and economic environment of Joseph Andrews. What are common customs? What is considered taboo? How do characters such as the Parson and clergyman offer his values and beliefs to Joseph? What effect does this have on Joseph and which values does he adopt?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)