|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who discovers the parentage of Fanny?
2. In what year does Fielding leave "The Champion" because he is disenchanted with the opposition?
3. What does Joseph have that identifies him as Wilson's son?
4. What means showing forgiveness and kindness, as well as rejoicing in truth but not sin according to Fielding?
5. What does Don Quixote try to dissuade a squire from doing to a boy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the comparison in Marivaux's novel that is similar to Fielding's work?
2. In "Essay on Good Nature," what does Fielding say about good and ill nature?
3. How does the peddler assist Joseph in finding his true identity?
4. Why is Shamela willing to hide her relationship from her mother at Williams's request?
5. In Dick Taylor Jr.'s "Joseph as Hero in 'Joseph Andrews,'" how is Joseph characterized?
6. What is shocking about the peddler's revelation about Fanny's heritage?
7. In "Essay on Reputation," how does Fielding distinguish virtue and vice?
8. How does the squire respond to Don Quixote's request regarding the boy in "The Life and Adventures of the Renown'd Don Quixote"?
9. How does Fielding show his political beliefs in his work?
10. What does Wilson's choices in London reveal about his character?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe some of the settings for Joseph Andrews; with Shamela; and Related Writings. What is the overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period, and any pertinent popular culture events. How do these settings, even if imaginary, reflect modern settings or culture? Why did the author choose to use these places in the tales?
Essay Topic 2
Secrecy is a recurring theme in Joseph Andrews; with Shamela; and Related Writings. Which characters have secrets and what are they? How are these secrets revealed? Do these secrets result in ominous consequences or not? Do any of them have happy endings?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the concept of loneliness as exhibited in Joseph Andrews; with Shamela; and Related Writings. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)