|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Conyers's relationship to Hervey in "The History of the Life of Marcus Tullius Cicero"?
2. What virtue is espoused in Fielding's work that should not be underestimated in "Thematic Meaning and Structure"?
3. When Lady Booby returns to London, what does she play to forget Joseph?
4. In Dick Taylor Jr.'s "Joseph as Hero in 'Joseph Andrew,s'" when does Joseph exhibit a change of character?
5. In Shamela, Parson Tickletext writes Parson Oliver with a copy of _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Essay on Reputation," how does Fielding distinguish virtue and vice?
2. In Dick Taylor Jr.'s "Joseph as Hero in 'Joseph Andrews,'" how is Joseph characterized?
3. How do Adams and Joseph reveal the essential virtues of the good man?
4. Why does Shamela plot to seduce Mr. Booby?
5. How does the squire respond to Don Quixote's request regarding the boy in "The Life and Adventures of the Renown'd Don Quixote"?
6. How is Le Roman Comique similar to Joseph Andrews?
7. In "An Essay on the Knowledge of the Characters of Men," what does Fielding say about deceit?
8. Why is Shamela willing to hide her relationship from her mother at Williams's request?
9. What is shocking about the peddler's revelation about Fanny's heritage?
10. How do Adam and Lady Booby differ in their reaction to Joseph and Fanny's arrival after Joseph rescues Fanny?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of self-empowerment as exhibited in Joseph Andrews. Which of the characters is self-empowered? How does Joseph learn to make decisions for himself?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the concept of loneliness as exhibited in Joseph Andrews; with Shamela; and Related Writings. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one instance of irony in Joseph Andrews; with Shamela; and Related Writings. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the book and note why they are examples of irony.
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)