|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the hostess of the inn offer Adams because she thinks that he is Trulliber's brother?
2. Who saves Jacky, Adam's son, from drowning?
3. To what is Joseph tied by the squire's retinue?
4. Where is Adams traveling to publish three volumes of sermons?
5. What does Fielding satirize while describing biographies?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Pounce considered selfish by Adams despite rescuing Fanny?
2. How do Mrs. Tow-wouse and Adams differ on money?
3. How do Adams and the sportsman differ in their reaction to the screams of the young woman?
4. How will Wilson be able to identify his lost son?
5. What does Fielding introduce through the character of Barnabas in regards to clergy?
6. How does Fielding contrast biographies and romances?
7. What does Fielding reveal about Betty through her actions that shows some conflict in her character?
8. Why does Adams admonish Joseph for grieving over Fanny when she is kidnapped?
9. Why does Wilson fail to participate in Harriet's father's trade?
10. What does Joseph's encounter with the stagecoach reveal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Secrecy is a recurring theme in Joseph Andrews; with Shamela; and Related Writings. Which characters have secrets and what are they? How are these secrets revealed? Do these secrets result in ominous consequences or not? Do any of them have happy endings?
Essay Topic 2
Money has particular significance in the Joseph Andrews; with Shamela; and Related Writings. What is the significance of having money in the story? Who chases after money? Who has money? Who loses money? Who gains money? What does Fielding ultimately say about money through Joseph and the priests and what is the importance of this discovery and theses characters' roles?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the social, cultural, and economic environment of Joseph Andrews. What are common customs? What is considered taboo? How do characters such as the Parson and clergyman offer his values and beliefs to Joseph? What effect does this have on Joseph and which values does he adopt?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)