|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Adams want from Trulliber?
2. Where does Fielding find true comedy in his work?
3. When Mr. Booby and Pamela try to dissuade Joseph from marrying Fanny, how does Joseph respond?
4. Whose Methodist doctrines do Adam and Barnabas discuss that invoke the ire of the clergy?
5. Who is angry when Joseph and Adams beat his hounds?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the peddler assist Joseph in finding his true identity?
2. How does Fielding define charity?
3. How is Pamela different from Shamela in her reaction to Mr. Booby?
4. What is the significance of the night adventures at Booby Hall according to Mark Spilka's "Comic Resolution in Fielding's 'Joseph Andrews'"?
5. How are the natures of Adams and Mrs. Slipslop revealed in their responses to Joseph and Fanny's reunion?
6. Why do many critics like Fielding's characterization of Adams?
7. In what ways does Joseph reveal that he is maturing in how he responds to the gentleman's visit, differing from Adam's point of view?
8. Why is Shamela willing to hide her relationship from her mother at Williams's request?
9. Why does Wilson fail to participate in Harriet's father's trade?
10. In "Rewriting Pamela: Social Change and Religious Faith in 'Joseph Andrews,'" how does Fielding deal with class conflict according to Crea?
Essay Topic 1
Money has particular significance in the Joseph Andrews; with Shamela; and Related Writings. What is the significance of having money in the story? Who chases after money? Who has money? Who loses money? Who gains money? What does Fielding ultimately say about money through Joseph and the priests and what is the importance of this discovery and theses characters' roles?
Essay Topic 2
Adventure is a recurring theme in Joseph Andrews; with Shamela; and Related Writings. Why is adventure important? How does this help Joseph grow? How does this whet his appetite for life? Describe some of the changes and experiences Joseph has through his adventures. Do these changes result in positive or negative consequences?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the depiction of the female character of Fanny in the book with Shamela. How are their ultimate experiences similar? What is the lesson that the author wishes to convey through these examples?
This section contains 1,308 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)