Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Joseph removed to stables at the age of ten?
2. Who is the person that the eighteen-year-old whose story is told by a lady in the coach suddenly falls in love with prior to her wedding?
3. How many copies of Fielding's most famed narrative works are in "Joseph Andrews with Shamela and Related Writings?"
4. What does Lady Booby try to terminate legally by using the Justice Fromick?
5. Who pays Joseph's bill at the inn?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Adams admonish Joseph for grieving over Fanny when she is kidnapped?
2. Why is Shamela willing to hide her relationship from her mother at Williams's request?
3. In Martin C. Battlestin's "Thematic Meaning and Structure," what motifs are revealed?
4. Why is Lady Booby jealous of Fanny?
5. Why is Fielding unable to omit vices in his portrayal of real human nature?
6. How do Mrs. Tow-wouse and Adams differ on money?
7. When Mrs. Slipslop's encourages Lady Booby to marry Joseph, why is Lady Booby indignant?
8. In Sheldon Sacks's "Fielding's Guidance of the Reader's Attitudes in Book 1, Chapters 1-11," how is the narrator described?
9. What is the theme that Fielding illustrates through the argument in the alehouse and Mrs. Slipslop's arrival?
10. How is "Histoire de Gil Blas de Santillane" similar to Fielding's work?
The author uses more than one instance of irony in Joseph Andrews; with Shamela; and Related Writings. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the book and note why they are examples of irony.
Choose a character that Joseph grows to like and become familiar with. How does their relationship evolve?
Adventure is a recurring theme in Joseph Andrews; with Shamela; and Related Writings. Why is adventure important? How does this help Joseph grow? How does this whet his appetite for life? Describe some of the changes and experiences Joseph has through his adventures. Do these changes result in positive or negative consequences?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)