|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Lady Booby returns home, the sight of ______ ignites her passion, causing her to argue with Mrs. SlipSlop.
2. Whose stable does Joseph go to at the age of ten?
3. In Chapter 2, before Joseph and Adams separate, Adams realizes that his sermons are not in his __________.
4. Lady Booby is angry when Adams announces the _____ of marriage between Joseph and Fanny at church.
5. To what is Joseph tied by the squire's retinue?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Wilson fail to participate in Harriet's father's trade?
2. What does the attack by the master's hounds reveal about the master?
3. Why is the inn hostess initially helpful to Adam?
4. How is Trulliber revealed as a greedy clergyman?
5. How does Lady Booby try to prevent Fanny from marrying Joseph?
6. What does the gold that Joseph gives Fanny symbolize?
7. What does Fielding introduce through the character of Barnabas in regards to clergy?
8. How are Wilson and Adams similar in virtue?
9. How will Wilson be able to identify his lost son?
10. Why does the squire pursue Adams, Joseph, and Fanny?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Corruption in society is a prevailing theme of Joseph Andrews; with Shamela; and Related Writings. Fielding frequently refers to this theme, painting a bleak picture of London society. Which characters appear corrupt and why? Which characters appear to rise above corruption even if they were initially vulnerable to it? What is your opinion of the society that Fielding describes?
Essay Topic 2
Secrecy is a recurring theme in Joseph Andrews; with Shamela; and Related Writings. Which characters have secrets and what are they? How are these secrets revealed? Do these secrets result in ominous consequences or not? Do any of them have happy endings?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the depiction of the female character of Fanny in the book with Shamela. How are their ultimate experiences similar? What is the lesson that the author wishes to convey through these examples?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)