|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 6, as Adams sleeps, Joseph indulges in a monologue about how the desire for honor should lead a man to ________.
2. At what age does Joseph become an attendant?
3. To what is Joseph tied by the squire's retinue?
4. When hounds chasing a hare attack Adams, who defends Adams?
5. What does Adams discover that Wilson put in his provisions that makes him a kind and generous man to them?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Trulliber revealed as a greedy clergyman?
2. What is the importance of the Preface to "Joseph Andrews" for the remainder of the book?
3. How are the natures of Adams and Mrs. Slipslop revealed in their responses to Joseph and Fanny's reunion?
4. What does the attack by the master's hounds reveal about the master?
5. In what ways does Joseph reveal that he is maturing in how he responds to the gentleman's visit, differing from Adam's point of view?
6. How do Adams and the sportsman differ in their reaction to the screams of the young woman?
7. How does Fielding contrast biographies and romances?
8. Why does the squire pursue Adams, Joseph, and Fanny?
9. What does Fielding introduce through the character of Barnabas in regards to clergy?
10. Why does Wilson fail to participate in Harriet's father's trade?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many autobiographical features in Joseph Andrews; with Shamela; and Related Writings, and they are believed to belong to Fielding. Which aspects appear invented and which characters seem modeled or inspired by real people in Fielding's life?
Essay Topic 2
Compare the depiction of the female character of Fanny in the book with Shamela. How are their ultimate experiences similar? What is the lesson that the author wishes to convey through these examples?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in Joseph Andrews; with Shamela; and Related Writings. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)