|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of a priest does Adams converse with after escaping the squire's retinue?
2. What does Peter Pounce do for Fanny?
3. To whom does Joseph remain loyal despite temptations by other women?
4. What does Fanny possess that mollifies other people who meet her, such as the owner of the hounds?
5. Why is Adams annoyed with Pounce when he travels in the couch with him?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways does Joseph reveal that he is maturing in how he responds to the gentleman's visit, differing from Adam's point of view?
2. How does Lady Booby try to prevent Fanny from marrying Joseph?
3. Why is Lady Booby jealous of Fanny?
4. How do Mrs. Tow-wouse and Adams differ on money?
5. What does Fielding reveal about Betty through her actions that shows some conflict in her character?
6. What does the gold that Joseph gives Fanny symbolize?
7. How will Wilson be able to identify his lost son?
8. What is the major theme of Fielding's book?
9. Why does the squire pursue Adams, Joseph, and Fanny?
10. What is the significance of Leonora's tale?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Secrecy is a recurring theme in Joseph Andrews; with Shamela; and Related Writings. Which characters have secrets and what are they? How are these secrets revealed? Do these secrets result in ominous consequences or not? Do any of them have happy endings?
Essay Topic 2
Describe some of the settings for Joseph Andrews; with Shamela; and Related Writings. What is the overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period, and any pertinent popular culture events. How do these settings, even if imaginary, reflect modern settings or culture? Why did the author choose to use these places in the tales?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the concept of loneliness as exhibited in Joseph Andrews; with Shamela; and Related Writings. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)