|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Peter, Fanny, Joseph, and Adams leave to go after they are reunited at the inn?
2. What does Bellarmine need in order to get married from the father of the young woman he is in love with?
3. When Mr. Booby and Pamela try to dissuade Joseph from marrying Fanny, how does Joseph respond?
4. In Book 1, Chapter 1, Fielding states that examples are often better teachers than ____________.
5. When hounds chasing a hare attack Adams, who defends Adams?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Pounce considered selfish by Adams despite rescuing Fanny?
2. Why does Wilson fail to participate in Harriet's father's trade?
3. What does the gold that Joseph gives Fanny symbolize?
4. How does Lady Booby try to prevent Fanny from marrying Joseph?
5. Why is the inn hostess initially helpful to Adam?
6. How do Mrs. Tow-wouse and Adams differ on money?
7. What is the significance of Leonora's tale?
8. How do Adams and the sportsman differ in their reaction to the screams of the young woman?
9. Why does Adams admonish Joseph for grieving over Fanny when she is kidnapped?
10. When Mrs. Slipslop's encourages Lady Booby to marry Joseph, why is Lady Booby indignant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Adventure is a recurring theme in Joseph Andrews; with Shamela; and Related Writings. Why is adventure important? How does this help Joseph grow? How does this whet his appetite for life? Describe some of the changes and experiences Joseph has through his adventures. Do these changes result in positive or negative consequences?
Essay Topic 2
Secrecy is a recurring theme in Joseph Andrews; with Shamela; and Related Writings. Which characters have secrets and what are they? How are these secrets revealed? Do these secrets result in ominous consequences or not? Do any of them have happy endings?
Essay Topic 3
Love and sexuality is a theme within the story. Describe how Joseph grows aware of sexuality and the principles he learns about love from his journey.
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)