|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Since Joseph is not well enough to travel, from whom does Adams ask to borrow money to travel?
2. To whom does Joseph remain loyal despite temptations by other women?
3. How many copies of Fielding's most famed narrative works are in "Joseph Andrews with Shamela and Related Writings?"
4. What does Fielding satirize while describing biographies?
5. Who is the woman that set out to find Joseph after hearing of his misfortunes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Adams admonish Joseph for grieving over Fanny when she is kidnapped?
2. How does Fielding contrast Barnabas and the surgeon with Adams, Joseph, and Betty?
3. How does Lady Booby try to prevent Fanny from marrying Joseph?
4. What does Fielding introduce through the character of Barnabas in regards to clergy?
5. How is Trulliber revealed as a greedy clergyman?
6. What does Fielding reveal about Betty through her actions that shows some conflict in her character?
7. How do Mrs. Tow-wouse and Adams differ on money?
8. How does London appear as a center of vice in Section 1: Joseph Andrews, Preface and Book 1, Chapters 1 through 12?
9. Why does Wilson fail to participate in Harriet's father's trade?
10. How do Adams and the sportsman differ in their reaction to the screams of the young woman?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in Joseph Andrews; with Shamela; and Related Writings. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the concept of self-empowerment as exhibited in Joseph Andrews. Which of the characters is self-empowered? How does Joseph learn to make decisions for himself?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the concept of loneliness as exhibited in Joseph Andrews; with Shamela; and Related Writings. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)