|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Scout in relationship to Lady Booby?
2. Who does Mrs. Tow-house catch her husband in bed with?
3. From what does Parson Adam's good heart stem?
4. What does Wilson see the pleasures of the world as?
5. What does Barnabas doubt that Adams can profit from selling?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the theme that Fielding illustrates through the argument in the alehouse and Mrs. Slipslop's arrival?
2. How does London appear as a center of vice in Section 1: Joseph Andrews, Preface and Book 1, Chapters 1 through 12?
3. When Mrs. Slipslop's encourages Lady Booby to marry Joseph, why is Lady Booby indignant?
4. What is the importance of the Preface to "Joseph Andrews" for the remainder of the book?
5. Why is the inn hostess initially helpful to Adam?
6. What does Joseph's encounter with the stagecoach reveal?
7. How does Lady Booby try to prevent Fanny from marrying Joseph?
8. How does Fielding contrast Barnabas and the surgeon with Adams, Joseph, and Betty?
9. How do Adams and the sportsman differ in their reaction to the screams of the young woman?
10. What is the significance of Leonora's tale?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Parson Williams. What is his role in Joseph Andrews; with Shamela; and Related Writings? What was Fielding trying to accomplish by creating his character in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Explain Fielding's use of humor in the story. Cite examples of at least two different instances of humor, and explain why the author used them where he did.
Essay Topic 3
Choose a character that Joseph grows to like and become familiar with. How does their relationship evolve?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)