|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who loans money to Adams, Joseph, and Fanny when the hostess of the inn declines?
2. What does Fielding satirize while describing biographies?
3. What winning item does Wilson buy but is forced to sell for bread?
4. What does Bellarmine need in order to get married from the father of the young woman he is in love with?
5. Who is the eighteen-year-old whose story is told by a lady in the coach?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Rewriting Pamela: Social Change and Religious Faith in 'Joseph Andrews,'" how does Fielding deal with class conflict according to Crea?
2. In "An Essay on the Knowledge of the Characters of Men," what does Fielding say about deceit?
3. How are Wilson and Adams similar in virtue?
4. Why does the squire pursue Adams, Joseph, and Fanny?
5. How does Fielding contrast Barnabas and the surgeon with Adams, Joseph, and Betty?
6. What is shocking about the peddler's revelation about Fanny's heritage?
7. What do Adam's surprises reveal about life in "The Reasoning Behind the Form of 'Joseph Andrews'"?
8. Why does Wilson fail to participate in Harriet's father's trade?
9. How do Adams and Joseph reveal the essential virtues of the good man?
10. How do Adams and the sportsman differ in their reaction to the screams of the young woman?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Money has particular significance in the Joseph Andrews; with Shamela; and Related Writings. What is the significance of having money in the story? Who chases after money? Who has money? Who loses money? Who gains money? What does Fielding ultimately say about money through Joseph and the priests and what is the importance of this discovery and theses characters' roles?
Essay Topic 2
Love and sexuality is a theme within the story. Describe how Joseph grows aware of sexuality and the principles he learns about love from his journey.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the concept of loneliness as exhibited in Joseph Andrews; with Shamela; and Related Writings. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
This section contains 1,318 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)