|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does Wilson lose his fortune?
2. While Adams displays trust towards the man that is treated poorly by servants, how does Joseph respond?
3. When Adam's wife chides him for opposing Lady Booby, what is he more concerned with doing?
4. What is stolen from Wilson by gypsies?
5. Who is the admirer that the eighteen-year-old whose story is told by a lady in the coach singles out as her potential mate?
Short Essay Questions
1. How will Wilson be able to identify his lost son?
2. How do Adams and the sportsman differ in their reaction to the screams of the young woman?
3. When Mrs. Slipslop's encourages Lady Booby to marry Joseph, why is Lady Booby indignant?
4. What does the attack by the master's hounds reveal about the master?
5. How are Wilson and Adams similar in virtue?
6. Why does Wilson fail to participate in Harriet's father's trade?
7. How does Lady Booby try to prevent Fanny from marrying Joseph?
8. What is the theme that Fielding illustrates through the argument in the alehouse and Mrs. Slipslop's arrival?
9. Why is the inn hostess initially helpful to Adam?
10. What does Joseph's encounter with the stagecoach reveal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Coming of age is a major theme of Joseph Andrews. How is this theme explored and expressed in the book? What experiences does Joseph have that help him progress into adulthood?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the concept of loneliness as exhibited in Joseph Andrews; with Shamela; and Related Writings. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the social, cultural, and economic environment of Joseph Andrews. What are common customs? What is considered taboo? How do characters such as the Parson and clergyman offer his values and beliefs to Joseph? What effect does this have on Joseph and which values does he adopt?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)