|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the hostess of the inn offer Adams because she thinks that he is Trulliber's brother?
2. When hounds chasing a hare attack Adams, who defends Adams?
3. Who pays Joseph's bill at the inn?
4. When Mr. Booby and Pamela try to dissuade Joseph from marrying Fanny, how does Joseph respond?
5. Why is Adams annoyed with Pounce when he travels in the couch with him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Fielding contrast biographies and romances?
2. How does Lady Booby try to prevent Fanny from marrying Joseph?
3. How do Mrs. Tow-wouse and Adams differ on money?
4. How do Adams and the sportsman differ in their reaction to the screams of the young woman?
5. Why does Wilson fail to participate in Harriet's father's trade?
6. What does Joseph's encounter with the stagecoach reveal?
7. Why is the inn hostess initially helpful to Adam?
8. What does Fielding introduce through the character of Barnabas in regards to clergy?
9. Why is Lady Booby jealous of Fanny?
10. What is the major theme of Fielding's book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of self-empowerment as exhibited in Joseph Andrews. Which of the characters is self-empowered? How does Joseph learn to make decisions for himself?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Parson Williams. What is his role in Joseph Andrews; with Shamela; and Related Writings? What was Fielding trying to accomplish by creating his character in the story?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one instance of irony in Joseph Andrews; with Shamela; and Related Writings. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the book and note why they are examples of irony.
This section contains 492 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)