|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 2, before Joseph and Adams separate, Adams realizes that his sermons are not in his __________.
2. Where are Joseph and Fanny talking when Adams argues with the host of the inn about life and necessities?
3. What does Barnabas say that Joseph has resigned himself to without regret as he lays sick?
4. When Miss Grave-airs objects to admitting Joseph to their coach, who does she argue with in the coach?
5. When the thief is apprehended in the inn, what is returned to Joseph?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Fielding contrast Barnabas and the surgeon with Adams, Joseph, and Betty?
2. Why does Adams admonish Joseph for grieving over Fanny when she is kidnapped?
3. How does Fielding contrast biographies and romances?
4. Why does Wilson fail to participate in Harriet's father's trade?
5. When Mrs. Slipslop's encourages Lady Booby to marry Joseph, why is Lady Booby indignant?
6. What does Fielding reveal about Betty through her actions that shows some conflict in her character?
7. What is the theme that Fielding illustrates through the argument in the alehouse and Mrs. Slipslop's arrival?
8. What is the importance of the Preface to "Joseph Andrews" for the remainder of the book?
9. In what ways does Joseph reveal that he is maturing in how he responds to the gentleman's visit, differing from Adam's point of view?
10. How is Trulliber revealed as a greedy clergyman?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in Joseph Andrews; with Shamela; and Related Writings. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
Fielding employs simple, minimalist, yet effective language that employs powerful symbolism. Choose an example of symbolism, briefly describe it, and identify the technique which it embodies.
Essay Topic 3
Education is an important theme throughout the story. Who is educated? Who is not? What is the importance of a school education versus one of "real life"? How does Joseph gain knowledge in both? How does he change?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)