|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What forces Wilson to move to Temple where he engages in numerous affairs?
2. By following his sister's example, what is Joseph Andrews able to preserve according to Fielding?
3. Who is Wilson?
4. What does Adams discover that Wilson put in his provisions that makes him a kind and generous man to them?
5. At what age does Joseph become an attendant?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the theme that Fielding illustrates through the argument in the alehouse and Mrs. Slipslop's arrival?
2. What does Joseph's encounter with the stagecoach reveal?
3. What is the significance of Leonora's tale?
4. What does the gold that Joseph gives Fanny symbolize?
5. How are Wilson and Adams similar in virtue?
6. How will Wilson be able to identify his lost son?
7. How does Lady Booby try to prevent Fanny from marrying Joseph?
8. How does Fielding contrast Barnabas and the surgeon with Adams, Joseph, and Betty?
9. What does Fielding reveal about Betty through her actions that shows some conflict in her character?
10. Why does Wilson fail to participate in Harriet's father's trade?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Adventure is a recurring theme in Joseph Andrews; with Shamela; and Related Writings. Why is adventure important? How does this help Joseph grow? How does this whet his appetite for life? Describe some of the changes and experiences Joseph has through his adventures. Do these changes result in positive or negative consequences?
Essay Topic 2
Explain Fielding's use of humor in the story. Cite examples of at least two different instances of humor, and explain why the author used them where he did.
Essay Topic 3
Secrecy is a recurring theme in Joseph Andrews; with Shamela; and Related Writings. Which characters have secrets and what are they? How are these secrets revealed? Do these secrets result in ominous consequences or not? Do any of them have happy endings?
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)