|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What fetters and harasses mankind according to Fielding in "Essay on Good Nature"?
(b) Ill nature.
2. In Dick Taylor Jr.'s "Joseph as Hero in 'Joseph Andrew,s'" when does Joseph exhibit a change of character?
(a) After his reunion with Fanny.
(b) After his new speech.
(c) After he grows up.
(d) After he learns new things.
3. Who does Pamela thank for preserving her innocence from Mr. B?
4. What does Mr. Booby do to Shamela in Letter 2 until Jervis stops him?
(a) Locks her up.
(b) Kisses her.
(c) Fights her.
(d) Yells at her.
5. In "Essay on Good Nature," good nature delights in ________.
(a) Mankind's happiness.
(b) Mankind's will.
(c) Mankind's age.
(d) Mankind's sorrow.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Letter 1, to whom does Shamela write a letter to about accommodations?
2. What elements does the narrator in "Joseph Andrews" have according to "Fielding's Guidance of the Reader's Attitudes in Book 1, Chapters 1-11"?
3. Whose attempt to seduce Destiny is stopped by the arrival of Ragotin?
4. What clothes does Shamela wear in Letter 7 that prevent Mr. Booby from recognizing her?
5. When Lady Booby surprises Adams's household with her arrival, who does she try to set Fanny up with?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Sheldon Sacks's "Fielding's Guidance of the Reader's Attitudes in Book 1, Chapters 1-11," how is the narrator described?
2. Why does Mr. Booby go to ecclesiastical court?
3. How do Adams and Joseph reveal the essential virtues of the good man?
4. What is the significance of the night adventures at Booby Hall according to Mark Spilka's "Comic Resolution in Fielding's 'Joseph Andrews'"?
5. How does the peddler assist Joseph in finding his true identity?
6. What is the comparison in Marivaux's novel that is similar to Fielding's work?
7. How is Pamela different from Shamela in her reaction to Mr. Booby?
8. What does Wilson's choices in London reveal about his character?
9. In Martin C. Battlestin's "Thematic Meaning and Structure," what motifs are revealed?
10. How is Le Roman Comique similar to Joseph Andrews?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)