|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Conyers's relationship to Hervey in "The History of the Life of Marcus Tullius Cicero"?
(a) He is his brother.
(b) He is his master.
(c) He is his servant.
(d) He is his friend.
2. Why does Ragotin borrow a horse initially in "Le Roman Comique"?
(a) To get to court.
(b) To fight Roman.
(c) To steal from the king.
(d) To impress Star.
3. What fetters and harasses mankind according to Fielding in "Essay on Good Nature"?
(c) Ill nature.
4. In "Essay on Good Nature," good nature delights in ________.
(a) Mankind's happiness.
(b) Mankind's age.
(c) Mankind's will.
(d) Mankind's sorrow.
5. What is quiet while vice is boisterous according to Fielding?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Don Quixote defeat in a fight and sends the man to present himself to Lady Donna Dulcinea?
2. Who is the villain and housekeeper of Mr. B's property that Pamela is abducted to in "Pamela, or Virtue Rewarded"?
3. Where does Shamela go when Mrs. Jervis plans to sell her to Mr. Booby?
4. Who writes "Thematic Meaning and Structure"?
5. In Letter 1, to whom does Shamela write a letter to about accommodations?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the squire respond to Don Quixote's request regarding the boy in "The Life and Adventures of the Renown'd Don Quixote"?
2. In "Essay on Reputation," how does Fielding distinguish virtue and vice?
3. When Joseph rescues Fanny from the ill intentions of Beau Didapper, what does Lady Booby's presence at Adam's house reveal?
4. In Dick Taylor Jr.'s "Joseph as Hero in 'Joseph Andrews,'" how is Joseph characterized?
5. How does Fielding define charity?
6. In Sheldon Sacks's "Fielding's Guidance of the Reader's Attitudes in Book 1, Chapters 1-11," how is the narrator described?
7. Why do many critics like Fielding's characterization of Adams?
8. How does Fielding show his political beliefs in his work?
9. Why is Pamela uncomfortable at the Lincolnshire estate where she is abducted?
10. In "Essay on Good Nature," what does Fielding say about good and ill nature?
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)