|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the villain and housekeeper of Mr. B's property that Pamela is abducted to in "Pamela, or Virtue Rewarded"?
2. When Joseph notices Didapper try to lay hold of Fanny, what ensues shortly thereafter?
(a) A song.
(b) A fight.
(c) A visit.
(d) A game.
3. When Adams marries Joseph and Fanny, where do the couple retire to with money given by Mr. Booby to Fanny?
(a) A cellar.
(b) An apartment.
(c) A small estate.
(d) A mansion.
4. What does Don Quixote try to dissuade a squire from doing to a boy?
(a) Scolding him.
(b) Whipping him.
(c) Loving him.
(d) Teaching him.
5. Who discovers the parentage of Fanny?
(a) The innkeeper.
(b) The priest.
(c) The peddler.
(d) The friend.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pierre Francois Guyot Desfontaines think Fielding is one of the best at in England in terms of writing?
2. In Dick Taylor Jr.'s "Joseph as Hero in 'Joseph Andrew,s'" when does Joseph exhibit a change of character?
3. Who writes "Le Roman Comique"?
4. Who writes "The Life and Adventures of the Renown'd Don Quixote"?
5. In Pierre Carlet de Chamblain de Marivaux's "Le Paysan parvenu ou les Memoirs de M***," who protects his honor from Genevieve?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do many critics like Fielding's characterization of Adams?
2. What is the significance of the night adventures at Booby Hall according to Mark Spilka's "Comic Resolution in Fielding's 'Joseph Andrews'"?
3. Why does Shamela plot to seduce Mr. Booby?
4. Why is Pamela called Shamela by a clergyman?
5. When Joseph rescues Fanny from the ill intentions of Beau Didapper, what does Lady Booby's presence at Adam's house reveal?
6. Why is Shamela willing to hide her relationship from her mother at Williams's request?
7. What is the comparison in Marivaux's novel that is similar to Fielding's work?
8. In Sheldon Sacks's "Fielding's Guidance of the Reader's Attitudes in Book 1, Chapters 1-11," how is the narrator described?
9. How is Adams similar to Don Quixote?
10. In "Essay on Reputation," how does Fielding distinguish virtue and vice?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)