|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Fielding's Guidance of the Reader's Attitudes in Book 1, Chapters 1-11," the narrator in "Joseph Andrews" is a _____ character.
2. What is the first value a clergyman must possess according to Fielding?
3. Who writes a dedication to "The History of the Life of Marcus Tullius Cicero"?
4. What character does James Beattie think Fielding brings to masterly invention in Joseph Andrews?
5. As Fielding professes that the clergyman is a successor of ___________'s disciples, the essay on clergy concludes.
(a) The Father.
(d) The Holy Ghost.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose attempt to seduce Destiny is stopped by the arrival of Ragotin?
2. What is quiet while vice is boisterous according to Fielding?
3. In "The Apology for the Clergy," what does Fielding say is serviceable to detect and expose in the clergy?
4. In Modern Criticism, Mark Spilka's "Comic Resolution in Fielding's 'Joseph Andrews'" claims the _____ adventures at Booby Hall are among the most memorable scenes in the story.
5. What elements does the narrator in "Joseph Andrews" have according to "Fielding's Guidance of the Reader's Attitudes in Book 1, Chapters 1-11"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mr. Booby go to ecclesiastical court?
2. Why is Pamela uncomfortable at the Lincolnshire estate where she is abducted?
3. Why does Shamela plot to seduce Mr. Booby?
4. What is the comparison in Marivaux's novel that is similar to Fielding's work?
5. What does Wilson's choices in London reveal about his character?
6. What is the significance of the night adventures at Booby Hall according to Mark Spilka's "Comic Resolution in Fielding's 'Joseph Andrews'"?
7. In "Essay on Good Nature," what does Fielding say about good and ill nature?
8. What does Thomas Gray say about Fielding's work?
9. In Dick Taylor Jr.'s "Joseph as Hero in 'Joseph Andrews,'" how is Joseph characterized?
10. When Joseph rescues Fanny from the ill intentions of Beau Didapper, what does Lady Booby's presence at Adam's house reveal?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)