|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Essay on Reputation," Fielding claims that it is hard to distinguish virtue and wisdom from _________.
(a) Joy and love.
(b) War and peace.
(c) Love and hate.
(d) Folly and vice.
2. What does the squire do to the boy after Don Quixote interferes?
(a) Teaches him.
(b) Increases his debt.
(c) Whips him.
(d) Loves him.
3. What fetters and harasses mankind according to Fielding in "Essay on Good Nature"?
(b) Ill nature.
4. Who does Don Quixote defeat in a fight and sends the man to present himself to Lady Donna Dulcinea?
(a) A Catalan.
(b) A Tuscan.
(c) A Frenchman.
(d) A Biscayan.
5. What is stressed to "modify our notions of the place of sexual propriety in the world of the story" in "Fielding's Guidance of the Reader's Attitudes in Book 1, Chapters 1-11"?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Benjamin Hoadley work that reflects the politics of the era in which Fielding leaves?
2. What year is "The Apology for the Clergy" written?
3. Who writes a dedication to "The History of the Life of Marcus Tullius Cicero"?
4. Where is Pamela abducted in "Pamela, or Virtue Rewarded"?
5. What means showing forgiveness and kindness, as well as rejoicing in truth but not sin according to Fielding?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mr. Booby go to ecclesiastical court?
2. What does Wilson's choices in London reveal about his character?
3. In Dick Taylor Jr.'s "Joseph as Hero in 'Joseph Andrews,'" how is Joseph characterized?
4. How does Fielding define charity?
5. Why does Shamela plot to seduce Mr. Booby?
6. In Martin C. Battlestin's "Thematic Meaning and Structure," what motifs are revealed?
7. What is shocking about the peddler's revelation about Fanny's heritage?
8. Why is Pamela uncomfortable at the Lincolnshire estate where she is abducted?
9. How is "Histoire de Gil Blas de Santillane" similar to Fielding's work?
10. How do Adam and Lady Booby differ in their reaction to Joseph and Fanny's arrival after Joseph rescues Fanny?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)