|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Lady Booby surprises Adams's household with her arrival, who does she try to set Fanny up with?
2. In "Fielding's Guidance of the Reader's Attitudes in Book 1, Chapters 1-11," the narrator in "Joseph Andrews" is a _____ character.
3. What does Thomas Gray think Fielding's incidents are while his character portraits are natural?
4. Who does Don Quixote defeat in a fight and sends the man to present himself to Lady Donna Dulcinea?
(a) A Tuscan.
(b) A Biscayan.
(c) A Catalan.
(d) A Frenchman.
5. In "Thematic Meaning and Structure," what themes are discussed?
(a) Love and war.
(b) Jealousy and apathy.
(c) Fear and rage.
(d) Vanity and hypocrisy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who writes "Le Roman Comique"?
2. On what day in April does the essay on clergy conclude?
3. When Fanny was stolen by gypsies, who was put in her place as a child to be raised by the Andrews?
4. When Mr. B kisses Pamela while she is in bed, she almost ________ out of fear.
5. What is John Lord Hervey considered in "The History of the Life of Marcus Tullius Cicero"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Adams and Joseph reveal the essential virtues of the good man?
2. How does the peddler assist Joseph in finding his true identity?
3. Why is Pamela called Shamela by a clergyman?
4. What does Thomas Gray say about Fielding's work?
5. How is "Histoire de Gil Blas de Santillane" similar to Fielding's work?
6. How does Fielding define charity?
7. How does the squire respond to Don Quixote's request regarding the boy in "The Life and Adventures of the Renown'd Don Quixote"?
8. Why do many critics like Fielding's characterization of Adams?
9. How is Pamela different from Shamela in her reaction to Mr. Booby?
10. Why is Pamela uncomfortable at the Lincolnshire estate where she is abducted?
This section contains 506 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)