|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year does George Cheyne write Samuel Richardson that Fielding's wretched performance will only entertain porters or watermen?
2. Who does Fielding frequently satirize in "The Champion"?
3. "Joseph Andrews" presents the moral problems of the assault against and the preservation of _______.
4. How many men do Destiny and Cave separate in nightshirts to stop them from fighting at the inn where they are staying?
5. What are Mr. Booby's intentions towards Shamela?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the squire do to the boy after Don Quixote interferes?
2. What is Shamela warned about not repeating in Letter 3 by Henrietta?
3. In "The Apology for the Clergy," what does Fielding say is serviceable to detect and expose in the clergy?
4. In "Thematic Meaning and Structure," what themes are discussed?
5. When Adams marries Joseph and Fanny, where do the couple retire to with money given by Mr. Booby to Fanny?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Dick Taylor Jr.'s "Joseph as Hero in 'Joseph Andrews,'" how is Joseph characterized?
2. In Martin C. Battlestin's "Thematic Meaning and Structure," what motifs are revealed?
3. Why is Pamela uncomfortable at the Lincolnshire estate where she is abducted?
4. When Joseph rescues Fanny from the ill intentions of Beau Didapper, what does Lady Booby's presence at Adam's house reveal?
5. What is shocking about the peddler's revelation about Fanny's heritage?
6. In "Essay on Reputation," how does Fielding distinguish virtue and vice?
7. How is Le Roman Comique similar to Joseph Andrews?
8. How does Fielding show his political beliefs in his work?
9. What is the comparison in Marivaux's novel that is similar to Fielding's work?
10. What does Wilson's choices in London reveal about his character?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)