|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Lady Booby surprises Adams's household with her arrival, who does she try to set Fanny up with?
2. What is stressed to "modify our notions of the place of sexual propriety in the world of the story" in "Fielding's Guidance of the Reader's Attitudes in Book 1, Chapters 1-11"?
3. What does Mr. Booby do to Shamela in Letter 2 until Jervis stops him?
(a) Kisses her.
(b) Fights her.
(c) Locks her up.
(d) Yells at her.
4. What does Thomas Gray think Fielding's incidents are while his character portraits are natural?
5. Who has decided to write a book about the courtship of Booby and Shamela?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Shamela go when Mrs. Jervis plans to sell her to Mr. Booby?
2. Who writes "Fielding's Guidance of the Reader's Attitudes in Book 1, Chapters 1-11"?
3. What does Elizabeth Carter find to be a variety of nature, wit, morality, and good sense that is written by Fielding?
4. What fetters and harasses mankind according to Fielding in "Essay on Good Nature"?
5. In Letter 1, to whom does Shamela write a letter to about accommodations?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Adams and Joseph reveal the essential virtues of the good man?
2. In Dick Taylor Jr.'s "Joseph as Hero in 'Joseph Andrews,'" how is Joseph characterized?
3. Why do many critics like Fielding's characterization of Adams?
4. What is the comparison in Marivaux's novel that is similar to Fielding's work?
5. How is Adams similar to Don Quixote?
6. What is shocking about the peddler's revelation about Fanny's heritage?
7. What does Wilson's choices in London reveal about his character?
8. How does Fielding define charity?
9. How is Le Roman Comique similar to Joseph Andrews?
10. Why is Shamela willing to hide her relationship from her mother at Williams's request?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)