|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who writes "Le Roman Comique"?
2. In Letter 1, to whom does Shamela write a letter to about accommodations?
3. When Joseph notices Didapper try to lay hold of Fanny, what ensues shortly thereafter?
(a) A visit.
(b) A fight.
(c) A song.
(d) A game.
4. When Adams marries Joseph and Fanny, where do the couple retire to with money given by Mr. Booby to Fanny?
(a) A cellar.
(b) A mansion.
(c) An apartment.
(d) A small estate.
5. What is John Lord Hervey considered in "The History of the Life of Marcus Tullius Cicero"?
(a) A priest.
(b) A lover.
(c) A patron.
(d) A writer.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what day in April does the essay on clergy conclude?
2. When Fanny was stolen by gypsies, who was put in her place as a child to be raised by the Andrews?
3. Through what method does Fielding resolve most of the themes of "Joseph Andrews"?
4. Who writes "The Life and Adventures of the Renown'd Don Quixote"?
5. In what year does Fielding leave "The Champion" because he is disenchanted with the opposition?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Adam and Lady Booby differ in their reaction to Joseph and Fanny's arrival after Joseph rescues Fanny?
2. How is Le Roman Comique similar to Joseph Andrews?
3. Why do many critics like Fielding's characterization of Adams?
4. What is shocking about the peddler's revelation about Fanny's heritage?
5. In Dick Taylor Jr.'s "Joseph as Hero in 'Joseph Andrews,'" how is Joseph characterized?
6. Why is Shamela willing to hide her relationship from her mother at Williams's request?
7. How is Pamela different from Shamela in her reaction to Mr. Booby?
8. What does Thomas Gray say about Fielding's work?
9. When Joseph rescues Fanny from the ill intentions of Beau Didapper, what does Lady Booby's presence at Adam's house reveal?
10. How does Fielding define charity?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)