|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year does George Cheyne write Samuel Richardson that Fielding's wretched performance will only entertain porters or watermen?
2. Who writes "Fielding's Guidance of the Reader's Attitudes in Book 1, Chapters 1-11"?
3. As Fielding professes that the clergyman is a successor of ___________'s disciples, the essay on clergy concludes.
(a) The Father.
(c) The Holy Ghost.
4. What is Conyers's relationship to Hervey in "The History of the Life of Marcus Tullius Cicero"?
(a) He is his master.
(b) He is his friend.
(c) He is his servant.
(d) He is his brother.
5. "Joseph Andrews" presents the moral problems of the assault against and the preservation of _______.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Letter 1, to whom does Shamela write a letter to about accommodations?
2. Whose character do critics of Fielding's work all appear to support?
3. When Adams marries Joseph and Fanny, where do the couple retire to with money given by Mr. Booby to Fanny?
4. What does Pierre Francois Guyot Desfontaines think Fielding is one of the best at in England in terms of writing?
5. When Joseph notices Didapper try to lay hold of Fanny, what ensues shortly thereafter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the night adventures at Booby Hall according to Mark Spilka's "Comic Resolution in Fielding's 'Joseph Andrews'"?
2. In "Essay on Good Nature," what does Fielding say about good and ill nature?
3. How does Fielding define charity?
4. What is the comparison in Marivaux's novel that is similar to Fielding's work?
5. How does Fielding show his political beliefs in his work?
6. What does Thomas Gray say about Fielding's work?
7. Why is Pamela called Shamela by a clergyman?
8. How is Adams similar to Don Quixote?
9. How does the peddler assist Joseph in finding his true identity?
10. In Martin C. Battlestin's "Thematic Meaning and Structure," what motifs are revealed?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)