|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year does Fielding leave "The Champion" because he is disenchanted with the opposition?
2. In "Essay on Good Nature," good nature delights in ________.
(a) Mankind's age.
(b) Mankind's will.
(c) Mankind's sorrow.
(d) Mankind's happiness.
3. When is "Essay on Good Nature" written?
4. What virtue is espoused in Fielding's work that should not be underestimated in "Thematic Meaning and Structure"?
5. What is written in the closing months of Sir Robert Walpole's ascendency as first commissioner of treasury?
(a) Henry Fielding.
(b) John Adams.
(c) Parson Williams.
(d) Joseph Andrews.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the squire do to the boy after Don Quixote interferes?
2. In what periodical is an article written that finds Mr. Adams makes an agreeable character due to his innocence?
3. What is Conyers's relationship to Hervey in "The History of the Life of Marcus Tullius Cicero"?
4. In "Fielding's Guidance of the Reader's Attitudes in Book 1, Chapters 1-11," the narrator in "Joseph Andrews" is a _____ character.
5. When Joseph notices Didapper try to lay hold of Fanny, what ensues shortly thereafter?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Dick Taylor Jr.'s "Joseph as Hero in 'Joseph Andrews,'" how is Joseph characterized?
2. How is Le Roman Comique similar to Joseph Andrews?
3. How is Adams similar to Don Quixote?
4. How does the peddler assist Joseph in finding his true identity?
5. In "Essay on Good Nature," what does Fielding say about good and ill nature?
6. What is the significance of the night adventures at Booby Hall according to Mark Spilka's "Comic Resolution in Fielding's 'Joseph Andrews'"?
7. Why does Mr. Booby go to ecclesiastical court?
8. What is the comparison in Marivaux's novel that is similar to Fielding's work?
9. In Martin C. Battlestin's "Thematic Meaning and Structure," what motifs are revealed?
10. How do Adams and Joseph reveal the essential virtues of the good man?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)