|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Adams marries Joseph and Fanny, where do the couple retire to with money given by Mr. Booby to Fanny?
(a) A small estate.
(b) A cellar.
(c) An apartment.
(d) A mansion.
2. In "Essay on Reputation," Fielding claims that it is hard to distinguish virtue and wisdom from _________.
(a) War and peace.
(b) Love and hate.
(c) Joy and love.
(d) Folly and vice.
3. What happens to the person from Grenada that Gil is unsure of how to help him recover from?
4. In "Essay on Good Nature," good nature delights in ________.
(a) Mankind's sorrow.
(b) Mankind's will.
(c) Mankind's happiness.
(d) Mankind's age.
5. Where does Adam end up sleeping, tired after the confusion surrounding Didapper, Fanny, Booby, and others with regards to sleeping and sex?
(a) Joseph's room.
(b) Fanny's room.
(c) Jan's room.
(d) Adams' room.
Short Answer Questions
1. What means showing forgiveness and kindness, as well as rejoicing in truth but not sin according to Fielding?
2. In "Histoire de Gil Blas de Santillane," who does Gil meet from Grenada?
3. What does Parson Williams advise Shamela to deny regarding Henrietta?
4. Who writes "Le Roman Comique"?
5. In "Fielding's Guidance of the Reader's Attitudes in Book 1, Chapters 1-11," the narrator in "Joseph Andrews" is a _____ character.
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Adam and Lady Booby differ in their reaction to Joseph and Fanny's arrival after Joseph rescues Fanny?
2. In "Essay on Good Nature," what does Fielding say about good and ill nature?
3. In Sheldon Sacks's "Fielding's Guidance of the Reader's Attitudes in Book 1, Chapters 1-11," how is the narrator described?
4. What is shocking about the peddler's revelation about Fanny's heritage?
5. What is the significance of the night adventures at Booby Hall according to Mark Spilka's "Comic Resolution in Fielding's 'Joseph Andrews'"?
6. In "An Essay on the Knowledge of the Characters of Men," what does Fielding say about deceit?
7. How is Pamela different from Shamela in her reaction to Mr. Booby?
8. Why is Pamela called Shamela by a clergyman?
9. How do Adams and Joseph reveal the essential virtues of the good man?
10. How does the squire respond to Don Quixote's request regarding the boy in "The Life and Adventures of the Renown'd Don Quixote"?
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)