|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are Mr. Booby's intentions towards Shamela?
2. As Fielding professes that the clergyman is a successor of ___________'s disciples, the essay on clergy concludes.
(b) The Holy Ghost.
(c) The Father.
3. What clothes does Shamela wear in Letter 7 that prevent Mr. Booby from recognizing her?
(a) A parson's.
(b) A writer's.
(c) A farmer's.
(d) An artist's.
4. When Joseph notices Didapper try to lay hold of Fanny, what ensues shortly thereafter?
(a) A visit.
(b) A fight.
(c) A game.
(d) A song.
5. What elements does the narrator in "Joseph Andrews" have according to "Fielding's Guidance of the Reader's Attitudes in Book 1, Chapters 1-11"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is John Lord Hervey considered in "The History of the Life of Marcus Tullius Cicero"?
2. In what year does Fielding leave "The Champion" because he is disenchanted with the opposition?
3. Unlike Joseph Andrews, Mr. Wilson's difficulties initially result from _______.
4. Who discovers the parentage of Fanny?
5. On what day in April does the essay on clergy conclude?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is shocking about the peddler's revelation about Fanny's heritage?
2. How do Adams and Joseph reveal the essential virtues of the good man?
3. How does Fielding define charity?
4. In Sheldon Sacks's "Fielding's Guidance of the Reader's Attitudes in Book 1, Chapters 1-11," how is the narrator described?
5. Why does Mr. Booby go to ecclesiastical court?
6. Why do many critics like Fielding's characterization of Adams?
7. In "Essay on Good Nature," what does Fielding say about good and ill nature?
8. How does the peddler assist Joseph in finding his true identity?
9. What does Thomas Gray say about Fielding's work?
10. In "Essay on Reputation," how does Fielding distinguish virtue and vice?
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)