|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Don Quixote defeat in a fight and sends the man to present himself to Lady Donna Dulcinea?
(a) A Biscayan.
(b) A Catalan.
(c) A Frenchman.
(d) A Tuscan.
2. In Dick Taylor Jr.'s "Joseph as Hero in 'Joseph Andrew,s'" when does Joseph exhibit a change of character?
(a) After he grows up.
(b) After he learns new things.
(c) After his reunion with Fanny.
(d) After his new speech.
3. Whose character do critics of Fielding's work all appear to support?
4. What is stressed to "modify our notions of the place of sexual propriety in the world of the story" in "Fielding's Guidance of the Reader's Attitudes in Book 1, Chapters 1-11"?
5. What is quiet while vice is boisterous according to Fielding?
Short Answer Questions
1. Adams and Joseph Andrews embody the essential virtues of __________ in "Thematic Meaning and Structure"?
2. What fetters and harasses mankind according to Fielding in "Essay on Good Nature"?
3. What year is "Essay on Reputation" written?
4. What sound makes Ragotin tumble off his horse in "Le Roman Comique"?
5. Where does Shamela go when Mrs. Jervis plans to sell her to Mr. Booby?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Adam and Lady Booby differ in their reaction to Joseph and Fanny's arrival after Joseph rescues Fanny?
2. In "Essay on Good Nature," what does Fielding say about good and ill nature?
3. How do Adams and Joseph reveal the essential virtues of the good man?
4. How does Fielding show his political beliefs in his work?
5. How is "Histoire de Gil Blas de Santillane" similar to Fielding's work?
6. Why do many critics like Fielding's characterization of Adams?
7. How does Fielding define charity?
8. What does Thomas Gray say about Fielding's work?
9. In Martin C. Battlestin's "Thematic Meaning and Structure," what motifs are revealed?
10. In "An Essay on the Knowledge of the Characters of Men," what does Fielding say about deceit?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)