|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the eighteen-year-old whose story is told by a lady in the coach?
2. To what is Joseph tied by the squire's retinue?
(a) A book shelf.
(b) A house.
(c) A bed post.
(d) A drawer.
3. After his father's death, what does Wilson set out to become but fails at?
(a) A man of leisure.
(b) A writer.
(c) A gentleman.
(d) A stockbroker.
4. By following his sister's example, what is Joseph Andrews able to preserve according to Fielding?
(a) His art.
(b) His love.
(c) His strength.
(d) His purity.
5. From what does Parson Adam's good heart stem?
Short Answer Questions
1. When Mrs. Slipslop is suspiciously affectionate toward Joseph, one lady begs for the story of _____to be resumed in order to avoid improper consequences
2. Who pays Joseph's bill at the inn?
3. To whom does Joseph remain loyal despite temptations by other women?
4. When hounds chasing a hare attack Adams, who defends Adams?
5. Who refuses to give Joseph credit to pay his bill at the inn?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are the natures of Adams and Mrs. Slipslop revealed in their responses to Joseph and Fanny's reunion?
2. How do Mrs. Tow-wouse and Adams differ on money?
3. What is the significance of Leonora's tale?
4. When Adams's wife chides him on opposing the Booby household, what does Adam reveal about his inclinations?
5. How is Trulliber revealed as a greedy clergyman?
6. What is the importance of the Preface to "Joseph Andrews" for the remainder of the book?
7. How does Fielding contrast biographies and romances?
8. What does the attack by the master's hounds reveal about the master?
9. What does Fielding reveal about Betty through her actions that shows some conflict in her character?
10. When Mrs. Slipslop's encourages Lady Booby to marry Joseph, why is Lady Booby indignant?
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)