|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Adams want from Trulliber?
(a) A house.
(b) A pig.
(c) A loan.
(d) A book.
2. Whose Methodist doctrines do Adam and Barnabas discuss that invoke the ire of the clergy?
(a) Maximus Aurelius.
(b) Joseph Andrews.
(c) Henry Fielding.
(d) George Whitefield.
3. How many weeks before her wedding does the eighteen-year-old whose story is told by a lady in the coach suddenly change her mind and fall in love with someone else?
4. When Mrs. Slipslop is suspiciously affectionate toward Joseph, one lady begs for the story of _____to be resumed in order to avoid improper consequences
5. Where are Joseph and Fanny talking when Adams argues with the host of the inn about life and necessities?
(a) The cellar.
(b) The rooftop.
(c) The garden.
(d) The bar.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Joseph kisses the woman who came in search of him, how does Mrs. Slipslop respond?
2. Where is Adams traveling to publish three volumes of sermons?
3. At what age does Joseph become an attendant?
4. Who does Joseph turn to help him get married to his love?
5. Who does the the squire's retinue kidnap?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Pounce considered selfish by Adams despite rescuing Fanny?
2. When Adams's wife chides him on opposing the Booby household, what does Adam reveal about his inclinations?
3. What is the significance of Leonora's tale?
4. Why is the inn hostess initially helpful to Adam?
5. Why does Adams admonish Joseph for grieving over Fanny when she is kidnapped?
6. What is the theme that Fielding illustrates through the argument in the alehouse and Mrs. Slipslop's arrival?
7. How does Lady Booby try to prevent Fanny from marrying Joseph?
8. What does the gold that Joseph gives Fanny symbolize?
9. What does Joseph's encounter with the stagecoach reveal?
10. What does Fielding introduce through the character of Barnabas in regards to clergy?
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)