|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Joseph kisses the woman who came in search of him, how does Mrs. Slipslop respond?
(a) She gets jealous.
(b) She does not.
(c) She cries.
(d) She argues.
2. To what does Wilson lose his fortune?
(d) Old age.
3. In Chapter 6, as Adams sleeps, Joseph indulges in a monologue about how the desire for honor should lead a man to ________.
4. Despite his speeches, what does the sportsman fail to possess when he hears a young woman scream while he is with Adams?
5. Where are Joseph and Fanny talking when Adams argues with the host of the inn about life and necessities?
(a) The garden.
(b) The cellar.
(c) The bar.
(d) The rooftop.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Joseph turn to help him get married to his love?
2. Who does Joseph attract because of his honesty in the stables?
3. Who is the admirer that the eighteen-year-old whose story is told by a lady in the coach singles out as her potential mate?
4. When the thief is apprehended in the inn, what is returned to Joseph?
5. What forces Wilson to move to Temple where he engages in numerous affairs?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does London appear as a center of vice in Section 1: Joseph Andrews, Preface and Book 1, Chapters 1 through 12?
2. How does Fielding contrast Barnabas and the surgeon with Adams, Joseph, and Betty?
3. How do Mrs. Tow-wouse and Adams differ on money?
4. When Mrs. Slipslop's encourages Lady Booby to marry Joseph, why is Lady Booby indignant?
5. How are the natures of Adams and Mrs. Slipslop revealed in their responses to Joseph and Fanny's reunion?
6. How does Lady Booby try to prevent Fanny from marrying Joseph?
7. What is the significance of Leonora's tale?
8. Why does Adams admonish Joseph for grieving over Fanny when she is kidnapped?
9. When Adams's wife chides him on opposing the Booby household, what does Adam reveal about his inclinations?
10. What does Fielding introduce through the character of Barnabas in regards to clergy?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)