|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Shamela warned about not repeating in Letter 3 by Henrietta?
(a) Her folly with Henry.
(b) Her folly with Booby.
(c) Her folly with Williams.
(d) Her folly with Andrews.
2. Who writes "Fielding's Guidance of the Reader's Attitudes in Book 1, Chapters 1-11"?
3. In Pierre Carlet de Chamblain de Marivaux's "Le Paysan parvenu ou les Memoirs de M***," who protects his honor from Genevieve?
4. What is John Lord Hervey considered in "The History of the Life of Marcus Tullius Cicero"?
(a) A lover.
(b) A priest.
(c) A patron.
(d) A writer.
5. What means showing forgiveness and kindness, as well as rejoicing in truth but not sin according to Fielding?
6. What is stressed to "modify our notions of the place of sexual propriety in the world of the story" in "Fielding's Guidance of the Reader's Attitudes in Book 1, Chapters 1-11"?
7. What does Parson Williams advise Shamela to deny regarding Henrietta?
(a) That she is Shamela's daughter.
(b) That she is Shamela's aunt.
(c) That she is Shamela's mother.
(d) That she is Shamela's rival.
8. Where is Pamela abducted in "Pamela, or Virtue Rewarded"?
(a) An inn.
(b) A cellar.
(c) An estate.
(d) A manor.
9. Who does Don Quixote defeat in a fight and sends the man to present himself to Lady Donna Dulcinea?
(a) A Frenchman.
(b) A Tuscan.
(c) A Catalan.
(d) A Biscayan.
10. When Wilson joyfully is reunited with Joseph, his son, who is agitated that Joseph can now marry Fanny?
(a) Mr. Shamela.
(b) Lady Booby.
(c) Mr. Booby.
(d) Mr. Fielding.
11. What does Joseph show when he is in the country especially when confronted with the obstacles to marrying Fanny?
12. In Modern Criticism, Mark Spilka's "Comic Resolution in Fielding's 'Joseph Andrews'" claims the _____ adventures at Booby Hall are among the most memorable scenes in the story.
13. Who writes "Le Roman Comique"?
14. What does Don Quixote try to dissuade a squire from doing to a boy?
(a) Loving him.
(b) Whipping him.
(c) Teaching him.
(d) Scolding him.
15. What clothes does Shamela wear in Letter 7 that prevent Mr. Booby from recognizing her?
(a) A parson's.
(b) A writer's.
(c) An artist's.
(d) A farmer's.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Apology for the Clergy," what does Fielding say is serviceable to detect and expose in the clergy?
2. In Letter 1, to whom does Shamela write a letter to about accommodations?
3. Who writes "The Life and Adventures of the Renown'd Don Quixote"?
4. What does Pierre Francois Guyot Desfontaines think Fielding is one of the best at in England in terms of writing?
5. What elements does the narrator in "Joseph Andrews" have according to "Fielding's Guidance of the Reader's Attitudes in Book 1, Chapters 1-11"?
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)