|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Essay on Reputation," Fielding claims that it is hard to distinguish virtue and wisdom from _________.
(a) Folly and vice.
(b) War and peace.
(c) Joy and love.
(d) Love and hate.
2. How many men do Destiny and Cave separate in nightshirts to stop them from fighting at the inn where they are staying?
3. What means showing forgiveness and kindness, as well as rejoicing in truth but not sin according to Fielding?
4. Where does Shamela go when Mrs. Jervis plans to sell her to Mr. Booby?
(b) San Francisco.
5. Whose negative view is exaggerated in "Fielding's Guidance of the Reader's Attitudes in Book 1, Chapters 1-11"?
(a) Angela Williams.
(b) Henry Fielding.
(c) Samuel Richardson.
(d) Shamela Jacobs.
6. On what day in April does the essay on clergy conclude?
7. When Joseph notices Didapper try to lay hold of Fanny, what ensues shortly thereafter?
(a) A fight.
(b) A game.
(c) A visit.
(d) A song.
8. What does Parson Williams advise Shamela to deny regarding Henrietta?
(a) That she is Shamela's mother.
(b) That she is Shamela's rival.
(c) That she is Shamela's aunt.
(d) That she is Shamela's daughter.
9. Who does Pamela thank for preserving her innocence from Mr. B?
10. What Christian value is discussed in "Thematic Meaning and Structure"?
11. When Lady Booby returns to London, what does she play to forget Joseph?
(c) The piano.
12. What is stressed to "modify our notions of the place of sexual propriety in the world of the story" in "Fielding's Guidance of the Reader's Attitudes in Book 1, Chapters 1-11"?
13. When is "Essay on Good Nature" written?
14. Who does Fielding frequently satirize in "The Champion"?
15. What is the message conveyed in the copy of work that Parson Tickletext writes Parson Oliver about?
(a) Chastity of young women.
(b) Sacrifice of young women.
(c) Chastity of young men.
(d) Sacrifice of young men.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Letter 1, to whom does Shamela write a letter to about accommodations?
2. Who writes "Fielding's Guidance of the Reader's Attitudes in Book 1, Chapters 1-11"?
3. Whose character do critics of Fielding's work all appear to support?
4. When Wilson joyfully is reunited with Joseph, his son, who is agitated that Joseph can now marry Fanny?
5. Where is Pamela abducted in "Pamela, or Virtue Rewarded"?
This section contains 401 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)