|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Lady Booby returns to London, what does she play to forget Joseph?
(c) The piano.
2. In "Histoire de Gil Blas de Santillane," who does Gil meet from Grenada?
(a) The lawyer.
(b) The archbishop.
(c) The lover.
(d) The priest.
3. Who does Fielding frequently satirize in "The Champion"?
4. In Modern Criticism, Mark Spilka's "Comic Resolution in Fielding's 'Joseph Andrews'" claims the _____ adventures at Booby Hall are among the most memorable scenes in the story.
5. What is the first value a clergyman must possess according to Fielding?
6. What is quiet while vice is boisterous according to Fielding?
7. Where is Pamela abducted in "Pamela, or Virtue Rewarded"?
(a) A manor.
(b) An estate.
(c) An inn.
(d) A cellar.
8. What is written in the closing months of Sir Robert Walpole's ascendency as first commissioner of treasury?
(a) Parson Williams.
(b) Henry Fielding.
(c) John Adams.
(d) Joseph Andrews.
9. What Christian value is discussed in "Thematic Meaning and Structure"?
10. What character does James Beattie think Fielding brings to masterly invention in Joseph Andrews?
11. What means showing forgiveness and kindness, as well as rejoicing in truth but not sin according to Fielding?
12. What virtue is espoused in Fielding's work that should not be underestimated in "Thematic Meaning and Structure"?
13. Where does Shamela go when Mrs. Jervis plans to sell her to Mr. Booby?
(d) San Francisco.
14. Who is the villain and housekeeper of Mr. B's property that Pamela is abducted to in "Pamela, or Virtue Rewarded"?
15. What happens to the person from Grenada that Gil is unsure of how to help him recover from?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the squire do to the boy after Don Quixote interferes?
2. When Wilson joyfully is reunited with Joseph, his son, who is agitated that Joseph can now marry Fanny?
3. Who writes "Le Roman Comique"?
4. Whose character do critics of Fielding's work all appear to support?
5. What are Mr. Booby's intentions towards Shamela?
This section contains 375 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)