|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose character do critics of Fielding's work all appear to support?
2. On what day in April does the essay on clergy conclude?
3. In Letter 2, what does Shamela say about the squire?
(a) He is wise.
(b) He is old.
(c) He is kind.
(d) He likes her.
4. "Joseph Andrews" presents the moral problems of the assault against and the preservation of _______.
5. Where is Pamela abducted in "Pamela, or Virtue Rewarded"?
(a) A manor.
(b) An estate.
(c) A cellar.
(d) An inn.
6. What shows Wilson has made foolish choices in vices represented as typical of London?
(a) Marks' Tale.
(b) Jacob's Tale.
(c) Samuel's Tale.
(d) Wilson's Tale.
7. What is John Lord Hervey considered in "The History of the Life of Marcus Tullius Cicero"?
(a) A lover.
(b) A writer.
(c) A priest.
(d) A patron.
8. In what year does Fielding leave "The Champion" because he is disenchanted with the opposition?
9. What is the first value a clergyman must possess according to Fielding?
10. Whose negative view is exaggerated in "Fielding's Guidance of the Reader's Attitudes in Book 1, Chapters 1-11"?
(a) Samuel Richardson.
(b) Henry Fielding.
(c) Shamela Jacobs.
(d) Angela Williams.
11. Where does Shamela go when Mrs. Jervis plans to sell her to Mr. Booby?
(a) San Francisco.
12. What character does James Beattie think Fielding brings to masterly invention in Joseph Andrews?
13. Through what method does Fielding resolve most of the themes of "Joseph Andrews"?
14. What is written in the closing months of Sir Robert Walpole's ascendency as first commissioner of treasury?
(a) Joseph Andrews.
(b) John Adams.
(c) Henry Fielding.
(d) Parson Williams.
15. What does Joseph have that identifies him as Wilson's son?
(a) A birthmark.
(b) A temper.
(c) A mole.
(d) A book.
Short Answer Questions
1. What Christian value is discussed in "Thematic Meaning and Structure"?
2. When Mr. B kisses Pamela while she is in bed, she almost ________ out of fear.
3. What year is "The Apology for the Clergy" written?
4. Who does Don Quixote defeat in a fight and sends the man to present himself to Lady Donna Dulcinea?
5. In "The Apology for the Clergy," what does Fielding say is serviceable to detect and expose in the clergy?
This section contains 373 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)