|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What sound makes Ragotin tumble off his horse in "Le Roman Comique"?
(a) A call.
(b) A song.
(c) A cry.
(d) A gunshot.
2. What is stressed to "modify our notions of the place of sexual propriety in the world of the story" in "Fielding's Guidance of the Reader's Attitudes in Book 1, Chapters 1-11"?
3. What does Joseph show when he is in the country especially when confronted with the obstacles to marrying Fanny?
4. Where does Benjamin Hoadley work that reflects the politics of the era in which Fielding leaves?
(a) The Cannery.
(b) The Feldenkras.
(c) The Church of England.
(d) The Basement.
5. Who writes "Pamela, or Virtue Rewarded"?
6. What does Joseph have that identifies him as Wilson's son?
(a) A book.
(b) A mole.
(c) A birthmark.
(d) A temper.
7. What virtue is espoused in Fielding's work that should not be underestimated in "Thematic Meaning and Structure"?
8. In "Fielding's Guidance of the Reader's Attitudes in Book 1, Chapters 1-11," the narrator in "Joseph Andrews" is a _____ character.
9. In what periodical is an article written that finds Mr. Adams makes an agreeable character due to his innocence?
(a) The Writer.
(b) The Author.
(c) The Student.
(d) The Priest.
10. In "Essay on Reputation," Fielding claims that it is hard to distinguish virtue and wisdom from _________.
(a) War and peace.
(b) Joy and love.
(c) Folly and vice.
(d) Love and hate.
11. "Joseph Andrews" presents the moral problems of the assault against and the preservation of _______.
12. What does Thomas Gray think Fielding's incidents are while his character portraits are natural?
13. When Joseph notices Didapper try to lay hold of Fanny, what ensues shortly thereafter?
(a) A game.
(b) A fight.
(c) A visit.
(d) A song.
14. How many men do Destiny and Cave separate in nightshirts to stop them from fighting at the inn where they are staying?
15. In Modern Criticism, Mark Spilka's "Comic Resolution in Fielding's 'Joseph Andrews'" claims the _____ adventures at Booby Hall are among the most memorable scenes in the story.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the person from Grenada that Gil is unsure of how to help him recover from?
2. In "The Apology for the Clergy," what does Fielding say is serviceable to detect and expose in the clergy?
3. In Shamela, Parson Tickletext writes Parson Oliver with a copy of _____.
4. Who writes "Fielding's Guidance of the Reader's Attitudes in Book 1, Chapters 1-11"?
5. Who writes "Thematic Meaning and Structure"?
This section contains 427 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)