|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Unlike Joseph Andrews, Mr. Wilson's difficulties initially result from _______.
(a) Fear and change.
(b) War and greed.
(c) Vice and folly.
(d) Love and peace.
2. What happens to the person from Grenada that Gil is unsure of how to help him recover from?
3. What virtue is espoused in Fielding's work that should not be underestimated in "Thematic Meaning and Structure"?
4. When is "Essay on Good Nature" written?
5. Who does Fielding frequently satirize in "The Champion"?
6. What are Mr. Booby's intentions towards Shamela?
7. In Pierre Carlet de Chamblain de Marivaux's "Le Paysan parvenu ou les Memoirs de M***," who protects his honor from Genevieve?
8. Who does Don Quixote defeat in a fight and sends the man to present himself to Lady Donna Dulcinea?
(a) A Frenchman.
(b) A Catalan.
(c) A Tuscan.
(d) A Biscayan.
9. Where does Shamela go when Mrs. Jervis plans to sell her to Mr. Booby?
(d) San Francisco.
10. As Fielding professes that the clergyman is a successor of ___________'s disciples, the essay on clergy concludes.
(a) The Holy Ghost.
(d) The Father.
11. Who writes "The Life and Adventures of the Renown'd Don Quixote"?
12. What means showing forgiveness and kindness, as well as rejoicing in truth but not sin according to Fielding?
13. What character does James Beattie think Fielding brings to masterly invention in Joseph Andrews?
14. Adams and Joseph Andrews embody the essential virtues of __________ in "Thematic Meaning and Structure"?
(a) The priests.
(b) The good man.
(c) The writers.
(d) The friends.
15. How is Fanny related to Joseph?
(a) They are not related.
(b) They are distant relatives.
(c) They are siblings.
(d) They are cousins.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Histoire de Gil Blas de Santillane," who does Gil meet from Grenada?
2. What clothes does Shamela wear in Letter 7 that prevent Mr. Booby from recognizing her?
3. In Modern Criticism, Mark Spilka's "Comic Resolution in Fielding's 'Joseph Andrews'" claims the _____ adventures at Booby Hall are among the most memorable scenes in the story.
4. What does Joseph have that identifies him as Wilson's son?
5. What does Thomas Gray think Fielding's incidents are while his character portraits are natural?
This section contains 396 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)