|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Joseph show when he is in the country especially when confronted with the obstacles to marrying Fanny?
2. What does Parson Williams advise Shamela to deny regarding Henrietta?
(a) That she is Shamela's rival.
(b) That she is Shamela's aunt.
(c) That she is Shamela's mother.
(d) That she is Shamela's daughter.
3. What sound makes Ragotin tumble off his horse in "Le Roman Comique"?
(a) A cry.
(b) A call.
(c) A gunshot.
(d) A song.
4. Where is Pamela abducted in "Pamela, or Virtue Rewarded"?
(a) An inn.
(b) An estate.
(c) A manor.
(d) A cellar.
5. Whose bed does Didapper jump into, thinking it belongs to Fanny?
6. In Letter 1, to whom does Shamela write a letter to about accommodations?
7. What does Elizabeth Carter find to be a variety of nature, wit, morality, and good sense that is written by Fielding?
(a) Parson Andrews.
(b) Henry Fielding works.
(c) Parson William's works.
(d) Joseph Andrews.
8. When Adams marries Joseph and Fanny, where do the couple retire to with money given by Mr. Booby to Fanny?
(a) A cellar.
(b) A mansion.
(c) A small estate.
(d) An apartment.
9. What is Shamela warned about not repeating in Letter 3 by Henrietta?
(a) Her folly with Williams.
(b) Her folly with Henry.
(c) Her folly with Andrews.
(d) Her folly with Booby.
10. What shows Wilson has made foolish choices in vices represented as typical of London?
(a) Jacob's Tale.
(b) Samuel's Tale.
(c) Wilson's Tale.
(d) Marks' Tale.
11. Why does Ragotin borrow a horse initially in "Le Roman Comique"?
(a) To get to court.
(b) To steal from the king.
(c) To fight Roman.
(d) To impress Star.
12. In Pierre Carlet de Chamblain de Marivaux's "Le Paysan parvenu ou les Memoirs de M***," who protects his honor from Genevieve?
13. Who does Fielding frequently satirize in "The Champion"?
14. In Letter 2, what does Shamela say about the squire?
(a) He is old.
(b) He likes her.
(c) He is kind.
(d) He is wise.
15. What is stressed to "modify our notions of the place of sexual propriety in the world of the story" in "Fielding's Guidance of the Reader's Attitudes in Book 1, Chapters 1-11"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first value a clergyman must possess according to Fielding?
2. How is Fanny related to Joseph?
3. What are Mr. Booby's intentions towards Shamela?
4. What does Thomas Gray think Fielding's incidents are while his character portraits are natural?
5. What means showing forgiveness and kindness, as well as rejoicing in truth but not sin according to Fielding?
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)