|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Elizabeth Carter find to be a variety of nature, wit, morality, and good sense that is written by Fielding?
(a) Henry Fielding works.
(b) Parson William's works.
(c) Parson Andrews.
(d) Joseph Andrews.
2. What does Shamela pretend to do when Mr. Booby touches her bosom in Letter 6?
3. What is Shamela warned about not repeating in Letter 3 by Henrietta?
(a) Her folly with Andrews.
(b) Her folly with Williams.
(c) Her folly with Booby.
(d) Her folly with Henry.
4. In what year does George Cheyne write Samuel Richardson that Fielding's wretched performance will only entertain porters or watermen?
5. What does Joseph show when he is in the country especially when confronted with the obstacles to marrying Fanny?
6. What elements does the narrator in "Joseph Andrews" have according to "Fielding's Guidance of the Reader's Attitudes in Book 1, Chapters 1-11"?
7. In Shamela, Parson Tickletext writes Parson Oliver with a copy of _____.
8. When Adams marries Joseph and Fanny, where do the couple retire to with money given by Mr. Booby to Fanny?
(a) An apartment.
(b) A cellar.
(c) A small estate.
(d) A mansion.
9. When Wilson joyfully is reunited with Joseph, his son, who is agitated that Joseph can now marry Fanny?
(a) Mr. Shamela.
(b) Mr. Booby.
(c) Mr. Fielding.
(d) Lady Booby.
10. In what periodical is an article written that finds Mr. Adams makes an agreeable character due to his innocence?
(a) The Writer.
(b) The Student.
(c) The Priest.
(d) The Author.
11. What fetters and harasses mankind according to Fielding in "Essay on Good Nature"?
(b) Ill nature.
12. When Fanny was stolen by gypsies, who was put in her place as a child to be raised by the Andrews?
13. When Lady Booby surprises Adams's household with her arrival, who does she try to set Fanny up with?
14. What does Thomas Gray think Fielding's incidents are while his character portraits are natural?
15. On what day in April does the essay on clergy conclude?
Short Answer Questions
1. What year is "Essay on Reputation" written?
2. What character does James Beattie think Fielding brings to masterly invention in Joseph Andrews?
3. What is the message conveyed in the copy of work that Parson Tickletext writes Parson Oliver about?
4. What is John Lord Hervey considered in "The History of the Life of Marcus Tullius Cicero"?
5. In "Essay on Reputation," Fielding claims that it is hard to distinguish virtue and wisdom from _________.
This section contains 444 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)