|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Adams and Joseph Andrews embody the essential virtues of __________ in "Thematic Meaning and Structure"?
(a) The good man.
(b) The priests.
(c) The friends.
(d) The writers.
2. What is Conyers's relationship to Hervey in "The History of the Life of Marcus Tullius Cicero"?
(a) He is his brother.
(b) He is his servant.
(c) He is his master.
(d) He is his friend.
3. What is written in the closing months of Sir Robert Walpole's ascendency as first commissioner of treasury?
(a) Joseph Andrews.
(b) Parson Williams.
(c) Henry Fielding.
(d) John Adams.
4. What does Mr. Booby do to Shamela in Letter 2 until Jervis stops him?
(a) Locks her up.
(b) Kisses her.
(c) Yells at her.
(d) Fights her.
5. What character does James Beattie think Fielding brings to masterly invention in Joseph Andrews?
6. What does Elizabeth Carter find to be a variety of nature, wit, morality, and good sense that is written by Fielding?
(a) Henry Fielding works.
(b) Parson Andrews.
(c) Parson William's works.
(d) Joseph Andrews.
7. In what year does Fielding leave "The Champion" because he is disenchanted with the opposition?
8. What does Joseph have that identifies him as Wilson's son?
(a) A mole.
(b) A birthmark.
(c) A temper.
(d) A book.
9. Through what method does Fielding resolve most of the themes of "Joseph Andrews"?
10. In "Fielding's Guidance of the Reader's Attitudes in Book 1, Chapters 1-11," the narrator in "Joseph Andrews" is a _____ character.
11. In "Essay on Good Nature," good nature delights in ________.
(a) Mankind's happiness.
(b) Mankind's will.
(c) Mankind's sorrow.
(d) Mankind's age.
12. In Shamela, Parson Tickletext writes Parson Oliver with a copy of _____.
13. In Dick Taylor Jr.'s "Joseph as Hero in 'Joseph Andrew,s'" when does Joseph exhibit a change of character?
(a) After he grows up.
(b) After his new speech.
(c) After his reunion with Fanny.
(d) After he learns new things.
14. Who writes "Thematic Meaning and Structure"?
15. How is Fanny related to Joseph?
(a) They are cousins.
(b) They are not related.
(c) They are distant relatives.
(d) They are siblings.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is John Lord Hervey considered in "The History of the Life of Marcus Tullius Cicero"?
2. When Adams marries Joseph and Fanny, where do the couple retire to with money given by Mr. Booby to Fanny?
3. Who writes "The Life and Adventures of the Renown'd Don Quixote"?
4. When Jacky reads the history of Leonard and his wife who constantly quarrel, who assures them that each is right and the person who is right should always submit?
5. What fetters and harasses mankind according to Fielding in "Essay on Good Nature"?
This section contains 444 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)