|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Shamela go when Mrs. Jervis plans to sell her to Mr. Booby?
(c) San Francisco.
2. Who writes "Thematic Meaning and Structure"?
3. In Shamela, Parson Tickletext writes Parson Oliver with a copy of _____.
4. Unlike Joseph Andrews, Mr. Wilson's difficulties initially result from _______.
(a) Love and peace.
(b) War and greed.
(c) Vice and folly.
(d) Fear and change.
5. What elements does the narrator in "Joseph Andrews" have according to "Fielding's Guidance of the Reader's Attitudes in Book 1, Chapters 1-11"?
6. When Lady Booby surprises Adams's household with her arrival, who does she try to set Fanny up with?
7. What does Thomas Gray think Fielding's incidents are while his character portraits are natural?
8. In Letter 2, what does Shamela say about the squire?
(a) He is old.
(b) He likes her.
(c) He is kind.
(d) He is wise.
9. What is written in the closing months of Sir Robert Walpole's ascendency as first commissioner of treasury?
(a) John Adams.
(b) Joseph Andrews.
(c) Henry Fielding.
(d) Parson Williams.
10. When Adams marries Joseph and Fanny, where do the couple retire to with money given by Mr. Booby to Fanny?
(a) A mansion.
(b) An apartment.
(c) A cellar.
(d) A small estate.
11. Who does Don Quixote defeat in a fight and sends the man to present himself to Lady Donna Dulcinea?
(a) A Tuscan.
(b) A Catalan.
(c) A Frenchman.
(d) A Biscayan.
12. In what year does Fielding leave "The Champion" because he is disenchanted with the opposition?
13. What shows Wilson has made foolish choices in vices represented as typical of London?
(a) Wilson's Tale.
(b) Samuel's Tale.
(c) Jacob's Tale.
(d) Marks' Tale.
14. Where is Pamela abducted in "Pamela, or Virtue Rewarded"?
(a) A manor.
(b) An estate.
(c) An inn.
(d) A cellar.
15. When is "Essay on Good Nature" written?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Benjamin Hoadley work that reflects the politics of the era in which Fielding leaves?
2. In what year does George Cheyne write Samuel Richardson that Fielding's wretched performance will only entertain porters or watermen?
3. Where does Adam end up sleeping, tired after the confusion surrounding Didapper, Fanny, Booby, and others with regards to sleeping and sex?
4. What year is "Essay on Reputation" written?
5. What happens to the person from Grenada that Gil is unsure of how to help him recover from?
This section contains 397 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)