|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the woman that set out to find Joseph after hearing of his misfortunes?
2. Who is the eighteen-year-old whose story is told by a lady in the coach?
3. What does Barnabas doubt that Adams can profit from selling?
(a) His clothes.
(b) His sermons.
(c) His books.
(d) His letters.
4. What is stolen from Wilson by gypsies?
(a) A house.
(b) A book.
(c) A son.
(d) A daughter.
5. How many weeks before her wedding does the eighteen-year-old whose story is told by a lady in the coach suddenly change her mind and fall in love with someone else?
6. When the thief is apprehended in the inn, what is returned to Joseph?
(a) His books.
(b) His jewelry.
(c) His clothes.
(d) His pens.
7. When Joseph is arrested, who convinces the justice to commit Joseph and Fanny to his custody?
(a) Mr. Booby.
(b) Mrs. Booby.
8. In the Preface to "Joseph Andrews," Henry Fielding defines his terms and distinguishes his story from ________________.
(a) Dance and theater.
(b) Love and life.
(c) History and art.
(d) Romance and burlesque.
9. Who does Joseph attract because of his honesty in the stables?
(a) Thomas Booby.
(d) Lady Booby.
10. Why is Adams annoyed with Pounce when he travels in the couch with him?
(a) He does not agree upon houses.
(b) He does not agree upon food.
(c) He does not agree upon horses.
(d) He does not agree upon charity.
11. When Fanny is attacked by a young gentleman, Beau Didapper, and his servant, who rescues her?
12. Whose presence does Lady Booby frown upon, forcing her to leave with Adams after being taken out of jail?
13. What does the squire's retinue dunk Adams into?
14. In Chapter 6, as Adams sleeps, Joseph indulges in a monologue about how the desire for honor should lead a man to ________.
15. What does Bellarmine need in order to get married from the father of the young woman he is in love with?
(a) A coach.
(b) A dowry.
(c) A house.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 2, before Joseph and Adams separate, Adams realizes that his sermons are not in his __________.
2. Who is angry when Joseph and Adams beat his hounds?
3. When hounds chasing a hare attack Adams, who defends Adams?
4. Why is Joseph removed to stables at the age of ten?
5. What does Wilson see the pleasures of the world as?
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)