|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the Preface to "Joseph Andrews," Henry Fielding defines his terms and distinguishes his story from ________________.
(a) Romance and burlesque.
(b) Dance and theater.
(c) Love and life.
(d) History and art.
2. When Mrs. Slipslop is suspiciously affectionate toward Joseph, one lady begs for the story of _____to be resumed in order to avoid improper consequences
3. What winning item does Wilson buy but is forced to sell for bread?
(a) A pen.
(b) A bookshelf.
(c) A lottery ticket.
(d) A ring.
4. Who is the woman that set out to find Joseph after hearing of his misfortunes?
5. Where is Adams traveling to publish three volumes of sermons?
6. What does Lady Booby try to terminate legally by using the Justice Fromick?
(a) Fanny's pregnancy.
(b) Anne's friendship.
(c) Joseph's marriage.
(d) Scout's will.
7. Who is Peter Pounce?
(a) An armed man.
(b) A writer.
(c) A squire.
(d) A falconeer.
8. In Book 1, Chapter 1, Fielding states that examples are often better teachers than ____________.
9. What kind of a priest does Adams converse with after escaping the squire's retinue?
10. Who is the person that the eighteen-year-old whose story is told by a lady in the coach suddenly falls in love with prior to her wedding?
11. When Joseph is arrested, who convinces the justice to commit Joseph and Fanny to his custody?
(b) Mr. Booby.
(d) Mrs. Booby.
12. What does Fielding believe that biographies copy instead of creating originals?
13. After his father's death, what does Wilson set out to become but fails at?
(a) A stockbroker.
(b) A gentleman.
(c) A man of leisure.
(d) A writer.
14. Who does Joseph attract because of his honesty in the stables?
(a) Lady Booby.
(b) Thomas Booby.
15. What does Adams discover that Wilson put in his provisions that makes him a kind and generous man to them?
(a) Reading materials.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose carelessness allows the thief to escape in Chapter 16?
2. Who is Wilson?
3. To what is Joseph tied by the squire's retinue?
4. Who loans money to Adams, Joseph, and Fanny when the hostess of the inn declines?
5. Whose presence does Lady Booby frown upon, forcing her to leave with Adams after being taken out of jail?
This section contains 407 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)