|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose presence does Lady Booby frown upon, forcing her to leave with Adams after being taken out of jail?
2. What does Wilson see the pleasures of the world as?
(a) Easy and fun.
(b) Delightful and excessive.
(c) Folly and vanity.
3. In the Preface to "Joseph Andrews," Henry Fielding defines his terms and distinguishes his story from ________________.
(a) Love and life.
(b) Romance and burlesque.
(c) Dance and theater.
(d) History and art.
4. In Book 1, Chapter 1, Fielding states that examples are often better teachers than ____________.
5. In Chapter 2, before Joseph and Adams separate, Adams realizes that his sermons are not in his __________.
(d) Saddle bags.
6. Who is the person that the eighteen-year-old whose story is told by a lady in the coach suddenly falls in love with prior to her wedding?
7. Who is the eighteen-year-old whose story is told by a lady in the coach?
8. Where are Joseph and Fanny talking when Adams argues with the host of the inn about life and necessities?
(a) The rooftop.
(b) The garden.
(c) The bar.
(d) The cellar.
9. Who saves Jacky, Adam's son, from drowning?
(a) A friend.
(b) A peddler.
(c) A teacher.
(d) A lawyer.
10. Who is angry when Joseph and Adams beat his hounds?
(a) The designer.
(b) The priest.
(c) The artist.
(d) The master.
11. What does Barnabas say that Joseph has resigned himself to without regret as he lays sick?
(b) Divine will.
12. What forces Wilson to move to Temple where he engages in numerous affairs?
(a) A duel.
(b) A chess game.
(c) A book show.
(d) A contest.
13. Where does Fielding find true comedy in his work?
(a) In nature.
(b) In art.
(c) In friendship.
(d) In theater.
14. Who sends for the clergyman in Chapter 13?
15. From what does Parson Adam's good heart stem?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who refuses to give Joseph credit to pay his bill at the inn?
2. Despite his speeches, what does the sportsman fail to possess when he hears a young woman scream while he is with Adams?
3. To whom does Joseph remain loyal despite temptations by other women?
4. Since Joseph is not well enough to travel, from whom does Adams ask to borrow money to travel?
5. How many copies of Fielding's most famed narrative works are in "Joseph Andrews with Shamela and Related Writings?"
This section contains 398 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)