|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who refuses to give Joseph credit to pay his bill at the inn?
2. What is stolen from Wilson by gypsies?
(a) A son.
(b) A daughter.
(c) A book.
(d) A house.
3. Why is Joseph removed to stables at the age of ten?
(a) Because of his temper.
(b) Because of his mind.
(c) Because of his sweet voice.
(d) Because of his age.
4. In Book 1, Chapter 1, Fielding states that examples are often better teachers than ____________.
5. What does Wilson see the pleasures of the world as?
(a) Folly and vanity.
(b) Delightful and excessive.
(c) Easy and fun.
6. Whose daughter is Harriet Hearty?
(a) The man who buys the pen.
(b) The man who buys the ring.
(c) The man who buys the ticket.
(d) The man who buys the bookshelf.
7. What does Parson Trulliber try to sell Adams?
(a) A loan.
(b) A book.
(c) A house.
(d) A pig.
8. Who does Joseph attract because of his honesty in the stables?
(c) Lady Booby.
(d) Thomas Booby.
9. What does the squire's retinue dunk Adams into?
10. Who does Joseph turn to help him get married to his love?
11. Whose Methodist doctrines do Adam and Barnabas discuss that invoke the ire of the clergy?
(a) Henry Fielding.
(b) Joseph Andrews.
(c) Maximus Aurelius.
(d) George Whitefield.
12. In the Preface to "Joseph Andrews," Henry Fielding defines his terms and distinguishes his story from ________________.
(a) Love and life.
(b) Romance and burlesque.
(c) History and art.
(d) Dance and theater.
13. What does Barnabas say that Joseph has resigned himself to without regret as he lays sick?
(c) Divine will.
14. Who sends for the clergyman in Chapter 13?
15. Whose stable does Joseph go to at the age of ten?
(c) Thomas Booby.
(d) Lady Booby.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Joseph kisses the woman who came in search of him, how does Mrs. Slipslop respond?
2. Who is the woman that set out to find Joseph after hearing of his misfortunes?
3. Who defends Joseph in the coach to the host when Miss Grave-airs and others protest his presence?
4. What does Fielding believe that biographies copy instead of creating originals?
5. Who is the admirer that the eighteen-year-old whose story is told by a lady in the coach singles out as her potential mate?
This section contains 394 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)