Short Essay Questions Key
1. What is the importance of the Preface to "Joseph Andrews" for the remainder of the book?
In the Preface to "Joseph Andrews," Fielding offers his intentions for the story and the importance of chastity.
2. What is the major theme of Fielding's book?
The difference between appearance and reality in regard to virtue is the major theme of Fielding's book.
3. How does London appear as a center of vice in Section 1: Joseph Andrews, Preface and Book 1, Chapters 1 through 12?
In Section 1: Joseph Andrews, Preface and Book 1, Chapters 1 through 12, London appears as the epicenter of vice as seen by Lady Booby's sexual interest in Joseph.
4. What does Joseph's encounter with the stagecoach reveal?
Joseph's encounter with the stagecoach reveals Fielding's theme of charity in the story and the Good Samaritan parable in the Bible.
5. What does Fielding introduce through the character of Barnabas in regards to clergy?
Through the character of Barnabas, Fielding shows a hypocritical clergyman who does not display charity and criticizes clergymen who do not do so.
This section contains 1,959 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)