Chapters 1 and 2
• Joni Eareckson dives into a shallow part of Chesapeake Bay.
• She hits her head and begins to panic as she realizes that she is unable to move.
• Joni's sister Kathy rescues her from the water. Joni asks her sister to hold her hand and is very upset to find out that her sister is already holding her hand and that she cannot feel anything below her shoulders.
• Joni is taken to the hospital and has surgery.
• After her surgery she drifts in and out of consciousness for a few days and has many hallucinations and nightmares during this time.
• When Joni finally comes to she finds herself in the ICU. She discovers that others in the ICU have conditions similar to hers, but unfortunately several of them die.
• As time goes by Joni starts to believe that she might not die.
• She starts to remember...
This section contains 1,452 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)