|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. There is a saying Jonathan remembers - Gulls never ________ in heaven.
2. What is the only thing the Elder Gull still thinks Jonathan needs to work on?
3. What do these new birds practice every day, much to the delight of Johnathan?
4. Who is the Elder Gull?
5. What does the Elder Gull do to prove the answer to #87 is correct?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jonathan's teacher say when Johnathan asks why there are so few gulls in their location?
2. What is Chiang's response to Jonathan's question about whether this place is heaven or not?
3. What are Jonathan's new wings seemingly made out of when he is flying in the new world?
4. What is the one thing Chiang thinks Jonathan needs to work on as he continues to develop his flying and his abilities?
5. What does Jonathan notice about the other gulls, but he falls asleep before he can try out this technique?
6. What does Chiang tell Jonathan to forget about as he attempts to learn how to transport himself?
7. When does Jonathan make the first sound since leaving Earth?
8. What is the saying Jonathan remembers about Heaven in relation to fatigue?
9. When will Jonathan touch heaven, according to Chiang's answers?
10. Where does Jonathan believe he is in this section of the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The sacrificial death and resurrection of Fletcher is something that works to secure the reputation of the small group of students, even though it was meant to harm their appearance to the rest of the Flock.
Part 1: How did the sacrificial death and resurrection of Fletcher take place? Please describe how this occurred.
Part 2: To what else can this death and resurrection be compared? What other story seems to have been used as the inspiration for this situation?
Part 3: Do you think these events had to happen to Fletcher in order to make the group of students reputable? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The role of the instructor in this story is one that begins with Sullivan. As one of Johnathan's first teachers, it is clear that in order to gain the knowledge he needs, Johnathan will need guidance.
Part 1: What kind of teacher is Sullivan to Jonathan?
Part 2: What facts does Sullivan reveal about being a Gull and being in heaven?
Part 3: Would you say the relationship between Sullivan and Jonathan is positive or negative? Support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
It seems that in the definition of reincarnation, Gulls do not come back as anything other than Gulls. This seems strange as traditional thoughts on reincarnation say that animals come back as other animals and even humans.
Part 1: Why don't Gulls come back as anything besides Gulls?
Part 2: What does Chiang say will help to break this cycle of coming back as the same species again and again?
Part 3: Why might Gulls be the only species who come back as the same thing? What reasons can you provide?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)