|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Perfect speed is "being _________."
2. Where does Jonathan think he is at the beginning of this part of the book?
3. At first, Jonathan can not transport himself more than a ________ width at a time.
4. What does Jonathan finally realize about himself? "I am a perfect, _______ gull!"
5. What does the Elder Gull tell Jonathan to forget about as he is learning to transport himself?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the one thing Chiang thinks Jonathan needs to work on as he continues to develop his flying and his abilities?
2. What is the best speed Jonathan can reach in this new and delightful setting in the story?
3. What are people saying about the Elder Gull, Chiang, as he is introduced in the story?
4. What does Chiang tell Jonathan to forget about as he attempts to learn how to transport himself?
5. What does Jonathan believe Heaven should do in terms of limits?
6. What does Jonathan notice about the other gulls, but he falls asleep before he can try out this technique?
7. When does Jonathan make the first sound since leaving Earth?
8. What does Sullivan declare about Jonathan in relation to his approach to learning?
9. What is the saying Jonathan remembers about Heaven in relation to fatigue?
10. What does Jonathan want to do once his Guru has vanished and left his side?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The idea of the master's place in a student's life is also questioned in the last part of the book. In the relationship of Fletcher and Jonathan, the way these two Gulls interact impacts them both greatly.
Part 1: What does Fletcher decide to do in order to help spread the word about the lessons he's learned?
Part 2: Why does Jonathan remain at the side of Fletcher? Was this a good idea? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why does Jonathan have to help Fletcher using one of Chiang's techniques? Was this a good idea? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The sacrificial death and resurrection of Fletcher is something that works to secure the reputation of the small group of students, even though it was meant to harm their appearance to the rest of the Flock.
Part 1: How did the sacrificial death and resurrection of Fletcher take place? Please describe how this occurred.
Part 2: To what else can this death and resurrection be compared? What other story seems to have been used as the inspiration for this situation?
Part 3: Do you think these events had to happen to Fletcher in order to make the group of students reputable? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The old guru Chiang is a mystical figure in this story. His wisdom seems far beyond even the realms of heaven. Just like any guru, he seems to be a little vague in his explanations, but at the same time, his knowledge and teaching help everyone around him
Part 1: What does Chiang propose as the description of heaven?
Part 2: What does it mean when the book says Chiang teaches Jonathan to transcend time?
Part 3: Do you think it's possible to transcend time? Why or why not?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)