|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. One must know that one has _______ everywhere at once across space and time, according to the Elder Gull.
2. What does Jonathan do for the first time since leaving Earth when he finally transports himself?
3. Most gulls scorn _________ and slowly go nowhere.
4. What is Jonathan's instructor's name?
5. What is the goal Jonathan sets for himself in relation to speed and performance?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Jonathan's initial instructor when he arrives in this strange land?
2. What are Jonathan's new wings seemingly made out of when he is flying in the new world?
3. What is the saying Jonathan remembers about Heaven in relation to fatigue?
4. What does Sullivan declare about Jonathan in relation to his approach to learning?
5. When does Jonathan make the first sound since leaving Earth?
6. What is the one thing Chiang thinks Jonathan needs to work on as he continues to develop his flying and his abilities?
7. What does Chiang tell Jonathan to forget about as he attempts to learn how to transport himself?
8. What does Jonathan believe Heaven should do in terms of limits?
9. Where does Jonathan believe he is in this section of the book?
10. What does Jonathan notice about the other gulls, but he falls asleep before he can try out this technique?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Council for the Flock seems to want to discredit Jonathan's work in order to render him powerless over the rest of the Flock who has not converted. This seems to be quite realistic in relation to the way some governments control their people's perceptions as well.
Part 1: Why does the Council want to discredit Jonathan?
Part 2: What would the benefits of his being discredited be for the Flock? For the Council?
Part 3: What does the Council do in order to attempt to discredit Jonathan?
Essay Topic 2
Jonathan becomes a teacher of those Gulls in the Flock who genuinely want to learn more, even if they get in trouble with the rest of the Flock and its authority powers.
Part 1: Describe and name the first student of Jonathan, its progress and eventual outcome.
Part 2: Name one other student of Jonathan and describe its education.
Part 3: Do you think Jonathan is a good teacher? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The idea of an Outcast is one that is feared by the Gulls. To be deemed as such, a Gull becomes an outsider of its Flock, sent to the Far Cliffs to spend their days.
Part 1: What qualifies someone to become an Outcast? Can they ever escape their title?
Part 2: Who are some of the Outcasts in this story? Why are they deemed Outcasts?
Part 3: What do you think the purpose of having Outcasts is, as related to this story? How does this help the Flock? Or does it hurt the Flock? Why?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)