|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is skeptical of Jonathan's ideas and plans for his future?
2. The Elder Gull tells Jonathan that the key is knowing that one has already _________ when it comes to the way he moves from place to place.
3. Jonathan processes and learns new information like a feathered __________.
4. What does the answer to #112 want to become in order to make the Flock sorry for saying the things they have?
5. What do these other gulls have an elegant technique for doing as they fly?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jonathan remember to use his wings for, only on occasion, however?
2. What is Chiang's response to Jonathan's question about whether this place is heaven or not?
3. What does Chiang tell Jonathan to forget about as he attempts to learn how to transport himself?
4. When will Jonathan touch heaven, according to Chiang's answers?
5. What does Jonathan notice about the other gulls, but he falls asleep before he can try out this technique?
6. How does Chiang demonstrate touching heaven, which dazzles Jonathan and makes him want to learn more from this guru?
7. What is the one thing Chiang thinks Jonathan needs to work on as he continues to develop his flying and his abilities?
8. What does Jonathan believe Heaven should do in terms of limits?
9. What is the saying Jonathan remembers about Heaven in relation to fatigue?
10. How many lives do most gulls need in order to come to the basic realization that there is more to life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jonathan yearns to teach the others what he has learned from Sullivan and Chiang. He wants to spread the word about his discoveries and how other Gulls can learn to live their lives.
Part 1: Why does Jonathan believe is a born teacher?
Part 2: What qualities does Jonathan have that will make him a good teacher to those other Gulls?
Part 3: Why can't Jonathan be content teaching the Gulls in heaven where he resides?
Essay Topic 2
The old guru Chiang is a mystical figure in this story. His wisdom seems far beyond even the realms of heaven. Just like any guru, he seems to be a little vague in his explanations, but at the same time, his knowledge and teaching help everyone around him
Part 1: What does Chiang propose as the description of heaven?
Part 2: What does it mean when the book says Chiang teaches Jonathan to transcend time?
Part 3: Do you think it's possible to transcend time? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The role of the instructor in this story is one that begins with Sullivan. As one of Johnathan's first teachers, it is clear that in order to gain the knowledge he needs, Johnathan will need guidance.
Part 1: What kind of teacher is Sullivan to Jonathan?
Part 2: What facts does Sullivan reveal about being a Gull and being in heaven?
Part 3: Would you say the relationship between Sullivan and Jonathan is positive or negative? Support your answer.
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)