|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Those who put aside travel for perfection go anywhere ______.
2. What fills Jonathan's eyes when he tells the Elder Gull he wants to conquer another unknown?
3. What does the Elder Gull do to prove the answer to #87 is correct?
4. What does the Elder Gull tell Jonathan to forget about as he is learning to transport himself?
5. How far are the gulls on Earth from Heaven?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Chiang demonstrate touching heaven, which dazzles Jonathan and makes him want to learn more from this guru?
2. How many lives do most gulls need in order to come to the basic realization that there is more to life?
3. What does Jonathan remember to use his wings for, only on occasion, however?
4. When will Jonathan touch heaven, according to Chiang's answers?
5. When does Jonathan make the first sound since leaving Earth?
6. Who is Jonathan's initial instructor when he arrives in this strange land?
7. What is Chiang's response to Jonathan's question about whether this place is heaven or not?
8. What are people saying about the Elder Gull, Chiang, as he is introduced in the story?
9. What is the one thing Chiang thinks Jonathan needs to work on as he continues to develop his flying and his abilities?
10. Describe what happens when Chiang passes to the other world, or transfigures, as many might call it.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jonathan becomes a teacher of those Gulls in the Flock who genuinely want to learn more, even if they get in trouble with the rest of the Flock and its authority powers.
Part 1: Describe and name the first student of Jonathan, its progress and eventual outcome.
Part 2: Name one other student of Jonathan and describe its education.
Part 3: Do you think Jonathan is a good teacher? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The cycle of the story continues with Jonathan coming to Fletcher as his new guru. The story continues with Jonathan wanting to impart his knowledge to the next generation of Gulls.
Part 1: How does Jonathan contact Fletcher and become his new teacher?
Part 2: What is Fletcher's response to this occurrence?
Part 3: Why does Fletcher seem to need Jonathan's guidance? Or does he? Support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
When Chiang vanishes, it seems to be a surprise to the reader and to the Gulls in the story. This apparent transfiguration seems to also be symbolic of Chiang's place in his learning.
Part 1: Describe the scene in which Chiang vanishes from view.
Part 2: What is thought to have happened that caused Chiang to vanish?
Part 3: Do you think this vanishing was meant to be taken literally or metaphorically? Why?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)