|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Is Jonathan disappointed that he didn't reach his goal?
2. If you learn nothing, Jonathan finds out, the next world is ________.
3. The Elder Gulls says that ________ is not a place or a time but means being perfect.
4. The Elder Gull says, "Flight only requires only understanding how to _____."
5. What does Jonathan feel he was born to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sullivan declare about Jonathan in relation to his approach to learning?
2. What does Jonathan's teacher say when Johnathan asks why there are so few gulls in their location?
3. What does Jonathan remember to use his wings for, only on occasion, however?
4. What does Jonathan believe Heaven should do in terms of limits?
5. When will Jonathan touch heaven, according to Chiang's answers?
6. What is the one thing Chiang thinks Jonathan needs to work on as he continues to develop his flying and his abilities?
7. What does Jonathan notice about the other gulls, but he falls asleep before he can try out this technique?
8. How does Chiang demonstrate touching heaven, which dazzles Jonathan and makes him want to learn more from this guru?
9. What is the saying Jonathan remembers about Heaven in relation to fatigue?
10. When does Jonathan make the first sound since leaving Earth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It seems that in the definition of reincarnation, Gulls do not come back as anything other than Gulls. This seems strange as traditional thoughts on reincarnation say that animals come back as other animals and even humans.
Part 1: Why don't Gulls come back as anything besides Gulls?
Part 2: What does Chiang say will help to break this cycle of coming back as the same species again and again?
Part 3: Why might Gulls be the only species who come back as the same thing? What reasons can you provide?
Essay Topic 2
Jonathan yearns to teach the others what he has learned from Sullivan and Chiang. He wants to spread the word about his discoveries and how other Gulls can learn to live their lives.
Part 1: Why does Jonathan believe is a born teacher?
Part 2: What qualities does Jonathan have that will make him a good teacher to those other Gulls?
Part 3: Why can't Jonathan be content teaching the Gulls in heaven where he resides?
Essay Topic 3
The sacrificial death and resurrection of Fletcher is something that works to secure the reputation of the small group of students, even though it was meant to harm their appearance to the rest of the Flock.
Part 1: How did the sacrificial death and resurrection of Fletcher take place? Please describe how this occurred.
Part 2: To what else can this death and resurrection be compared? What other story seems to have been used as the inspiration for this situation?
Part 3: Do you think these events had to happen to Fletcher in order to make the group of students reputable? Why or why not?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)