|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. One must stop seeing oneself as trapped in a _________, according to the Elder Gull.
2. Some gulls need how many lives in order to find that life is about more than eating?
3. How many more lives do gulls need in order to realize that they need to find perfection and show it to others?
4. What does Jonathan do for the first time since leaving Earth when he finally transports himself?
5. What will traveling in the past and in the future help Jonathan to know the meaning of? Kindness and __________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Jonathan's initial instructor when he arrives in this strange land?
2. What is the saying Jonathan remembers about Heaven in relation to fatigue?
3. What is the best speed Jonathan can reach in this new and delightful setting in the story?
4. How many lives do most gulls need in order to come to the basic realization that there is more to life?
5. What does Jonathan remember to use his wings for, only on occasion, however?
6. Where does Jonathan believe he is in this section of the book?
7. When does Jonathan make the first sound since leaving Earth?
8. What is Chiang's response to Jonathan's question about whether this place is heaven or not?
9. What is the one thing Chiang thinks Jonathan needs to work on as he continues to develop his flying and his abilities?
10. What does Sullivan declare about Jonathan in relation to his approach to learning?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The idea that the humans look down on the Gulls is implied in the beginning of the story. This conflict between the humans and the Gulls is not fully explored, but one could see how it might be problematic.
Part 1: How does the author Bach describe the relationship between the Gulls and the humans?
Part 2: Do the Gulls ever interact with the humans?
Part 3: Do you think that more interaction might help the relationship between the Gulls and the humans? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Jonathan really wants to share what he has learned with the other Gulls, but he is prevented from doing so. His sharing could promote great changes, he thinks.
Part 1: What are some of the lessons Jonathan wants to share with the rest of the Gulls?
Part 2: How is Jonathan prevented from sharing his knowledge with others?
Part 3: Is this situation harmful or helpful to the other Gulls in the Flock? Support your answer with examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
When Chiang vanishes, it seems to be a surprise to the reader and to the Gulls in the story. This apparent transfiguration seems to also be symbolic of Chiang's place in his learning.
Part 1: Describe the scene in which Chiang vanishes from view.
Part 2: What is thought to have happened that caused Chiang to vanish?
Part 3: Do you think this vanishing was meant to be taken literally or metaphorically? Why?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)