Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the terminal velocity Jonathan reaches when he is practicing?
2. The Elders hope Jonathan will live long enough to realize life is _________ and unknowable.
3. Of what does the Council say that Jonathan has violated the dignity and the tradition?
4. What is NOT one of the techniques that Jonathan learns?
5. The voice tells Jonathan he does not have ________ for brains.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Kirk Maynard Gull and his interaction with Johnathan.
2. Which gull objects to the answer to #46 and what is his reasoning?
3. What does Charles-Roland Seagull do that impresses others while he is flying?
4. Describe what happens when Chiang passes to the other world, or transfigures, as many might call it.
5. What causes Fletcher to crash into a cliff at 200mph?
6. What is Jonathan's reasoning for wanting to teach the others?
7. What bans the Outcasts from returning to the Flock, as told to them by the Council's rulings?
8. What does the strange voice in Jonathan's head tell him about his flying, at first?
9. What happens when Jonathan fails and he begins to turn his thoughts to just sinking to the bottom of the sea?
10. What does Jonathan want to do once his Guru has vanished and left his side?
Essay Topic 1
When Chiang vanishes, it seems to be a surprise to the reader and to the Gulls in the story. This apparent transfiguration seems to also be symbolic of Chiang's place in his learning.
Part 1: Describe the scene in which Chiang vanishes from view.
Part 2: What is thought to have happened that caused Chiang to vanish?
Part 3: Do you think this vanishing was meant to be taken literally or metaphorically? Why?
Essay Topic 2
In the end, Fletcher is the teacher of the Gulls, but they seem to be interested in other things besides what he wants to teach. And thus the story continues as it began.
Part 1: What does Fletcher have to master first before he can absorb the lofty philosophy of Jonathan?
Part 2: What do the students want from Fletcher now that he is the teacher?
Part 3: Do you think Fletcher is ready to be a teacher? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Jonathan really wants to share what he has learned with the other Gulls, but he is prevented from doing so. His sharing could promote great changes, he thinks.
Part 1: What are some of the lessons Jonathan wants to share with the rest of the Gulls?
Part 2: How is Jonathan prevented from sharing his knowledge with others?
Part 3: Is this situation harmful or helpful to the other Gulls in the Flock? Support your answer with examples from the book.
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)