|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Johnny go to watch the ships coming into the harbor?
2. What was the key word that could be used to make Goblin jump?
3. What inspired the Observers to institute a spy system?
4. Who is executed for desertion?
5. What is the ratio of the British to American soldiers at the first battle?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why would Pumpkin save Johnny?
2. How do the British retaliate for the lost tea?
3. Why isn't Johnny punished for treason for helping the British?
4. Why is it important to spread the news of the Battle of Lexington before the British find out?
5. Why is Johnny upset when Rab says he is leaving Boston?
6. Why does Mrs. Lapham marry Mr. Tweedie?
7. How is Johnny able to help the spies gain information from the British?
8. Why did the colonists choose to hang lanterns in the North Church tower?
9. Why is the Lyte Bible important to Johnny?
10. Why were the British surprised at the fortitude of the Minute Men?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Isannah is quite different from the other Lapham daughters. Explain why you think the girl is so shallow and vain. Does Isannah's rank in the family contribute to her personality? How does Mrs. Lapham relate to Isannah compared to her relationships with the other girls?
Essay Topic 2
Johnny's youth impacted many of his actions. If Johnny had been older do you think he would have agreed to be a double agent? Would he have been so eager to help the Observers? Would he have fled Boston like some other citizens?
Essay Topic 3
The British troops and the colonists were strangers until the fight for freedom escalated or they faced off in battle.
1) Would things have been different if the troops had known one another?
2) Would it be possible for the British soldiers and Minute Men to become friends? What circumstances might allow that to happen?
This section contains 425 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)