|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which horse is not used by Colonel Smith?
2. What disguise does Johnny use to gain information?
3. What does Gage call training for the troops?
4. Who discovers that Dr. Warren and Rab have been injured?
5. How are Lavinia Lyte and Johnny's mother related?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the Battle of Lexington described? Where do the troops go after this battle?
2. What does Johnny find at the Lytes’ home in Chapter 11?
3. Why would it be helpful to know where the British troops are going?
4. What does Johnny learn from the tavern-keeper in Chapter 12?
5. What happens when Rab sets up a meeting to buy a musket in Chapter 8?
6. How do the British attempt to find information regarding the Observers?
7. How are General Gage’s actions described in Chapter 7?
8. Why isn't Johnny punished for treason for helping the British?
9. Why do the Colonists choose to hang lanterns in the North Church tower? What are the lanterns used for?
10. Why does Pumpkin want to desert the British military? How does he attempt to do so?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Sons of Liberty arranged the Boston Tea Party as a protest to taxation without representation.
1) Explain the pros and cons of taking such drastic measures against the British.
2) What other ways could the tea tax have been settled?
3) Did the Sons of Liberty realize the extent of potential repercussions?
Essay Topic 2
Johnny's youth impacted many of his actions. If Johnny had been older do you think he would have agreed to be a double agent? Would he have been so eager to help the Observers? Would he have fled Boston like some other citizens?
Essay Topic 3
Early on, Dove would have been receptive to becoming Johnny's friend. Even though the two boys suffered through animosity and distrust, explain how they could become friends and what benefits their friendship could bring to each. What prevents their friendship in the narrative and could this have been avoided?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)