|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Lyte's clerk?
2. Why do the Observers have to maintain anonymity?
3. Boston was torn into two armed camps by which political parties?
4. What caused Johnny's accident?
5. Where does Lavinia Lyte spend the summer?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the Laphams threaten to lock up Cilla?
2. Why does John Adams praise the printers?
3. Why does Mr. Lapham tell Johnny to find a new job?
4. What allows Johnny to overcome his fear of Goblin?
5. Why is setting type for the newspaper so difficult?
6. Why does Johnny ignore Rab's warnings about Mr. Lyte?
7. Why is the silver cup important to Lyte?
8. Explain the scheme by which the Observers were notified of their meeting time.
9. Why does Johnny criticize Dove's work?
10. Why was Cilla important to Johnny's case?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Early on, Dove would have been receptive to becoming Johnny's friend. Even though the two boys suffered through animosity and distrust, explain how they could become friends and what benefits it could bring to each.
Essay Topic 2
Many of the activities of the colonists went on underneath the British soldiers' noses.
1) Why did the British fail to learn about the Sons of Liberty, the Observers, and their whereabouts and activities until it was too late?
2) What might have happened if the key members of the Sons of Liberty were jailed?
3) The colonists used the North Church to send a warning about the arrival of the British. Was this a wise move? How might it have backfired?
Essay Topic 3
The British troops and the colonists were strangers until the fight for freedom escalated or they faced off in battle.
1) Would things have been different if the troops had known one another?
2) Would it be possible for the British soldiers and Minute Men to become friends? What circumstances might allow that to happen?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)