|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much does Johnny want for the silver cup?
2. What was Rab's job at the newspaper?
3. Who takes care of Johnny's injured hand?
4. Who is the youngest Lapham daughter?
5. What item does Johnny make for John Hancock?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Johnny spend his money on presents for Cilla and Isannah?
2. Why would Dove choose to give Johnny a cracked crucible?
3. Why is Mr. Lapham reluctant to allow Johnny to finish the piece for John Hancock?
4. How is Mr. Lapham able to do business when he is so forgetful?
5. Why does Dove dislike Johnny?
6. If John Hancock was impressed with Johnny, why wasn't Johnny hired?
7. Why is the silver cup important to Lyte?
8. What changes Johnny's perception of the laid-back attitude of Rab?
9. Why is setting type for the newspaper so difficult?
10. Why are Johnny and Rab not allowed to attend the Observer meeting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why did Jonathon Lyte promise Sam Adams that he would stop importing goods? Did Lyte feel guilty? Was Lyte just afraid of Adams? Could it have damaged Lyte's business?
Essay Topic 2
Many of the colonists left behind their daily jobs as farmers, silversmiths, and merchants to help the cause.
1) Which person or group made the biggest sacrifice? Explain.
2) How might things have turned out differently if the farmers had been unable to help the Minute Men?
3) What might have happened to a Minute Man's home or business if he were caught?
Essay Topic 3
The British troops and the colonists were strangers until the fight for freedom escalated or they faced off in battle.
1) Would things have been different if the troops had known one another?
2) Would it be possible for the British soldiers and Minute Men to become friends? What circumstances might allow that to happen?
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)