|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What item is used to stoke a furnace?
2. What was Rab's job at the newspaper?
3. Who are the Observers disguised as when they board the English ships?
4. What creature is Isannah compared to by Johnny?
5. In which Maine town did Johnny live with his mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Mr. Lyte have Johnny arrested?
2. What is meant by taxation without representation?
3. Why is Mr. Lapham reluctant to allow Johnny to finish the piece for John Hancock?
4. Why does Mr. Lapham tell Johnny to find a new job?
5. Why does Johnny refuse to work at unskilled jobs?
6. What Mrs. Lapham's responsibilities?
7. Why does John Adams praise the printers?
8. Why was Johnny so upset with Isannah when she recoiled from his touch?
9. Why is setting type for the newspaper so difficult?
10. What is the big change in Johnny's reaction to the world around him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pumpkin is representative of many young men and boys who wanted to desert from the British Army to fight for America's freedom.
1) Did Pumpkin realize the danger he was getting himself into by helping Johnny?
2) How did Pumpkin's relationship with Johnny change his outlook? How did it change Johnny's?
3) How might Johnny have felt when he saw Pumpkin being executed?
Essay Topic 2
The Boston Tea Party was a major event in the destruction of the relationship between the English and Americans. What would have happened if the ships were never attacked? Would King George have ever agreed to equal representation or fair taxes? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Explore the relationship between Johnny and Rab.
1) Did their ages play a significant role?
2) Was there any rivalry
3) Would Rab have risked himself to grant Johnny's last wish?
This section contains 429 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)