|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who takes care of Johnny's injured hand?
2. Who of these is not one of Lyte's clerks?
3. Who teaches Johnny to ride?
4. How many Saturdays per month did Johnny have off from work?
5. How old is Dusty Miller?
Short Essay Questions
1. What excuse does Dove give to Mrs. Lapham for handing Johnny the cracked crucible?
2. What is the big change in Johnny's reaction to the world around him?
3. Why did Johnny spend his money on presents for Cilla and Isannah?
4. What was Mrs. Lapham's motivation for taking on Mr. Tweedie?
5. How is Mr. Lapham able to do business when he is so forgetful?
6. What changes Johnny's perception of the laid-back attitude of Rab?
7. Why is setting type for the newspaper so difficult?
8. Why does Johnny criticize Dove's work?
9. In the story, what is the main difference between the Whigs and the Tories?
10. Why does Johnny go to Paul Revere for advice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pumpkin is representative of many young men and boys who wanted to desert from the British Army to fight for America's freedom.
1) Did Pumpkin realize the danger he was getting himself into by helping Johnny?
2) How did Pumpkin's relationship with Johnny change his outlook? How did it change Johnny's?
3) How might Johnny have felt when he saw Pumpkin being executed?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the relationship between Johnny and Rab.
1) Did their ages play a significant role?
2) Was there any rivalry
3) Would Rab have risked himself to grant Johnny's last wish?
Essay Topic 3
Early on, Dove would have been receptive to becoming Johnny's friend. Even though the two boys suffered through animosity and distrust, explain how they could become friends and what benefits it could bring to each.
This section contains 408 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)