|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the colonists find unfair about Parliament?
2. Who is buried in the grave on which Johnny falls asleep?
3. What was Johnny's punishment for stealing the silver cup?
4. What was Johnny's mother's occupation?
5. Why does Johnny leave the Lapham house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the silver cup represent symbolically in the novel? Why is Johnny so secretive about the silver cup?
2. What allows Johnny to overcome his fear of Goblin?
3. How are the Lapham daughters described in Chapter 1? Who is Johnny most attracted to and why?
4. What do the placards the Sam Adams has printed say?
5. Why does Johnny criticize Dove's work? How does Dove respond to Johnny’s criticism?
6. What is meant by taxation without representation?
7. What disguises do Johnny and Rab don in Chapter 6? Why?
8. Why is the silver cup important to Lyte?
9. Why does Isannah recoil from Johnny’s hand? How does Johnny respond?
10. For how long has Johnny apprenticed with Mr. Lapham? How long is his apprenticeship set to last and what will happen after it ends?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the relationship between Johnny and Rab.
1) Did Johnny and Rab’s ages play a significant role in their relationship?
2) Was there any rivalry between the two characters?
3) Would Rab have risked himself to grant Johnny's last wish? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Many of the Colonists left behind their daily jobs as farmers, silversmiths, and merchants to help the cause.
1) Which person or group made the biggest sacrifice? Explain.
2) How might things have turned out differently if the farmers had been unable to help the Minute Men?
3) What might have happened to a Minute Man's home or business if he were caught?
Essay Topic 3
Consider Johnny's relationship with Cilla. What might happen during the course of the war? Five years after? Ten years after? What are clues and symbols that indicate this future?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)