|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Devil ask Johnny to call him?
2. What does Nail Bunny deduce from the fact that Johnny tried to kill Devi?
3. What happens to the young woman when she reaches the door of Johnny's house?
4. How does Johnny hurt himself, when he visits Squee in Part 4?
5. What film does Johnny quote, in Part 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Johnny and the Devil discuss, regarding God?
2. What does Nail Bunny say, in Part 4, about Johnny's hobbies before the killing?
3. What comes through the floor at the beginning of Part 5?
4. What does Johnny observe about the state of Heaven, and what is the reason for it?
5. What is Johnny discussing, and with whom, at the beginning of Part 4?
6. What problems does Johnny encounter in Hell?
7. According to Tess, why did she end up as a captive in Johnny's house?
8. What powers do the people in Heaven have, and how does Johnny use his?
9. How does Johnny feel when he returns from Hell?
10. What happens to the young woman and the newly-introduced captive in the first strip of Part 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Johnny states, at the end of the book, that he doesn't like where his life is, but he is excited about where it is going. What doesn't Johnny like about his life at present? What changes is he making that will affect the course of his life in the future? What will the results of those changes be, and why? What are Johnny's long-term goals? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
The Devil explains to Johnny that his role on Earth was that of a "waste-lock." What, specifically, was Johnny's intended purpose, according to the Devil? Why was he a poor choice to fulfill that role? Why was the function he performed a necessary one? What set Johnny apart from the other waste-locks? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Johnny tells the woman at the fast-food restaurant that he does not leave home to be ridiculed, and that his appearance is none of her business. How does this satirical interaction reflect actual exchanges between people? Why are people so often judged by others? What is the appeal of conformity? Why are those who are different often ridiculed or feared? How does Johnny react to this ridicule, and why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 1,115 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)