|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Johnny realize about the Dough Boys in Part 4?
2. What does Elize explain to Johnny about the conditions outside the gates?
3. Why is the second strip in Part 6 out of place?
4. What is the name of the young woman from the movie theater?
5. How does God respond to Johnny's questions?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the gatekeeper reads Johnny's list of actions during his life?
2. What does Johnny reveal to Squee, in Part 4?
3. What powers do the people in Heaven have, and how does Johnny use his?
4. How does Johnny feel when he returns from Hell?
5. What happens when Tess and Kirk encounter the room full of captives, in Part 5?
6. What is Johnny discussing, and with whom, at the beginning of Part 4?
7. What happened when Johnny kidnapped Kirk?
8. What happens to the young woman and the newly-introduced captive in the first strip of Part 5?
9. What is the topic of the public service announcement in Part 4?
10. According to Tess, why did she end up as a captive in Johnny's house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Anne Gwish's role in the book is small, but important. What are her main concerns? How does she perpetuate the problem from which she wishes to escape? What message is the author attempting to communicate through use of her character, and why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Johnny tells the woman at the fast-food restaurant that he does not leave home to be ridiculed, and that his appearance is none of her business. How does this satirical interaction reflect actual exchanges between people? Why are people so often judged by others? What is the appeal of conformity? Why are those who are different often ridiculed or feared? How does Johnny react to this ridicule, and why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Johnny's closest relationship to another person is with Squee, the little boy who lives next door. Why does Johnny get along so well with Squee? Why does Johnny appear almost protective of Squee at times? How does Squee react to Johnny, and why? Why is Johnny able to maintain a relationship with Squee, but not with anyone else? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 1,214 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)