|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the female captive frightened by the new character who is introduced in Part 5?
2. How old was the boy in the second public service announcement when he left home?
3. According to the Devil, what was Johnny's role in the world?
4. Why is the second strip in Part 6 out of place?
5. What does Johnny want to keep, when he returns from Hell?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Tess and Kirk encounter the room full of captives, in Part 5?
2. What do Johnny and the Devil discuss, regarding God?
3. What happens when the gatekeeper reads Johnny's list of actions during his life?
4. What problems does Johnny encounter in Hell?
5. What does Johnny observe about the state of Heaven, and what is the reason for it?
6. What is everyone in Heaven doing, and why?
7. What does Johnny reveal to Squee, in Part 4?
8. What does Johnny's female captive say, in Part 4, that he is offended by?
9. What happens to the young woman and the newly-introduced captive in the first strip of Part 5?
10. What powers do the people in Heaven have, and how does Johnny use his?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Anne Gwish's role in the book is small, but important. What are her main concerns? How does she perpetuate the problem from which she wishes to escape? What message is the author attempting to communicate through use of her character, and why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Johnny C. is clearly an autobiographical character, created by the author as a reflection of himself. What are their similarities and differences? What has prevented the author from becoming like Johnny? What experiences did they both share, which affected them in adulthood? How would the book have been different if Vasquez hadn't shared some experiences with Johnny? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Johnny's "Happy Noodle Boy" cartoons are prevalent in the book, and they offer insight into Johnny's personality. How did Johnny get the idea for "Happy Noodle Boy"? Why does Happy Noodle Boy scream nonsensical phrases at people? Why does Happy Noodle Boy get shot at the end of every strip? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 1,182 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)