|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Nail Bunny, what was different about Johnny before?
2. What happens to the little boy in the Happy Noodle Boy strip, in Part 5?
3. What does Johnny realize about the Dough Boys in Part 4?
4. What does Johnny confess at the end of the first strip of Part 4?
5. What does Johnny have difficulty remembering, in Part 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Johnny and the Devil discuss, regarding God?
2. What happens to Johnny at the end of Part 4?
3. According to Tess, why did she end up as a captive in Johnny's house?
4. What is everyone in Heaven doing, and why?
5. What is Johnny's role in the world, according to the Devil?
6. How does Johnny feel when he returns from Hell?
7. What does Johnny think happened, to make him who he is now?
8. What does Johnny discuss with his female captive, in the second strip of Part 4?
9. What happens when Tess and Kirk encounter the room full of captives, in Part 5?
10. Who is Anne Gwish, and what is revealed about her character in Part 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Johnny's closest relationship to another person is with Squee, the little boy who lives next door. Why does Johnny get along so well with Squee? Why does Johnny appear almost protective of Squee at times? How does Squee react to Johnny, and why? Why is Johnny able to maintain a relationship with Squee, but not with anyone else? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Johnny tells the woman at the fast-food restaurant that he does not leave home to be ridiculed, and that his appearance is none of her business. How does this satirical interaction reflect actual exchanges between people? Why are people so often judged by others? What is the appeal of conformity? Why are those who are different often ridiculed or feared? How does Johnny react to this ridicule, and why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
In the foreword, it is said that JTHM is good for readers, and that animal instincts must be given expression in the imagination or they will be set loose in the real world. Do you agree with this statement? Is it a good thing for people to read things such as JTHM, to give themselves the opportunity to fantasize about things that are unacceptable in modern society? Or does it desensitize the reader to violence, making the escape of those deadly animal instincts even more likely? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 1,224 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)