|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the gatekeeper's reaction to what he reads?
2. What does Johnny think is the reason behind his compulsion to kill and save his victims' blood?
3. With what crime does the young woman mistakenly associate Johnny?
4. What does Johnny observe upon his arrival, in the first strip of Part 6?
5. Why was Johnny a poor choice, according to the Devil, for his prescribed role on Earth?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Anne Gwish, and what is revealed about her character in Part 5?
2. According to Tess, why did she end up as a captive in Johnny's house?
3. What does Johnny discuss with his female captive, in the second strip of Part 4?
4. What does Tess dislike about Kirk?
5. What is Johnny discussing, and with whom, at the beginning of Part 4?
6. What happens when the gatekeeper reads Johnny's list of actions during his life?
7. What do the Dough Boys discuss with Tess and Kirk, in Part 5?
8. How does Johnny feel when he returns from Hell?
9. What happens to the young woman and the newly-introduced captive in the first strip of Part 5?
10. What is the topic of the public service announcement in Part 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the foreword, it is said that JTHM is good for readers, and that animal instincts must be given expression in the imagination or they will be set loose in the real world. Do you agree with this statement? Is it a good thing for people to read things such as JTHM, to give themselves the opportunity to fantasize about things that are unacceptable in modern society? Or does it desensitize the reader to violence, making the escape of those deadly animal instincts even more likely? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Johnny states, at the end of the book, that he doesn't like where his life is, but he is excited about where it is going. What doesn't Johnny like about his life at present? What changes is he making that will affect the course of his life in the future? What will the results of those changes be, and why? What are Johnny's long-term goals? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Tess learns some valuable lessons about the way she was living her life, through her captivity and experience at Johnny's. Why does she dislike Kirk and the other captives? Why did she spend so much time with Dillon, if she disliked him so much? What does she realize about the people with whom she associated herself? If she had escaped, what would she have changed? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 1,196 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)