|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the gatekeeper's reaction to what he reads?
2. What happens to the young man from the movie theater?
3. Why was Johnny a poor choice, according to the Devil, for his prescribed role on Earth?
4. How does Johnny hurt himself, when he visits Squee in Part 4?
5. What does Johnny realize about the Dough Boys in Part 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the gatekeeper reads Johnny's list of actions during his life?
2. What powers do the people in Heaven have, and how does Johnny use his?
3. What does Johnny discuss with his female captive, in the second strip of Part 4?
4. What do Johnny and the Devil discuss, regarding God?
5. What comes through the floor at the beginning of Part 5?
6. What does Tess dislike about Kirk?
7. What does Johnny's female captive say, in Part 4, that he is offended by?
8. What is Johnny discussing, and with whom, at the beginning of Part 4?
9. According to Tess, why did she end up as a captive in Johnny's house?
10. What happens to the young woman and the newly-introduced captive in the first strip of Part 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who are D-Boy, Nail Bunny, Mr. Eff and Burger Boy? What purpose does each one serve for Johnny? How do they help the reader gain insight into Johnny's character? How do they help Johnny himself to make decisions, analyze his actions and refocus when he gets upset? What part of Johnny's life and personality does each one represent, and why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Johnny C. is clearly an autobiographical character, created by the author as a reflection of himself. What are their similarities and differences? What has prevented the author from becoming like Johnny? What experiences did they both share, which affected them in adulthood? How would the book have been different if Vasquez hadn't shared some experiences with Johnny? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
The Devil explains to Johnny that his role on Earth was that of a "waste-lock." What, specifically, was Johnny's intended purpose, according to the Devil? Why was he a poor choice to fulfill that role? Why was the function he performed a necessary one? What set Johnny apart from the other waste-locks? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 1,118 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)