|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is introduced at the beginning of Part 5?
2. What does the young woman regret as she is fleeing Johnny's house?
3. According to the Devil, what was Johnny's role in the world?
4. Why is the female captive frightened by the new character who is introduced in Part 5?
5. How does God respond to Johnny's questions?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Johnny think happened, to make him who he is now?
2. What does Johnny reveal to Squee, in Part 4?
3. What happens when Tess and Kirk encounter the room full of captives, in Part 5?
4. What powers do the people in Heaven have, and how does Johnny use his?
5. What is the topic of the public service announcement in Part 4?
6. What does Johnny's female captive say, in Part 4, that he is offended by?
7. What does Tess dislike about Kirk?
8. What is everyone in Heaven doing, and why?
9. What is Johnny's role in the world, according to the Devil?
10. What happens when the gatekeeper reads Johnny's list of actions during his life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tess comments that she can't believe that she is leaving a house where jerks are kept in chains and tortured, to the outside world where they roam free. What service is Johnny providing to the general public? Is there anything redeeming in his activities? What might he do differently to be more of a benefit to society? Does he teach people anything, or simply gratify his own anger? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Faith is an important motif in this book. How does Johnny feel about God and the afterlife? Does his opinion change after talking to God and Satan? Why or why not? How do Johnny's attitudes about faith and religion play a part in his interactions with his victims? Would his actions change if he had faith? Why or why not? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Johnny's "Happy Noodle Boy" cartoons are prevalent in the book, and they offer insight into Johnny's personality. How did Johnny get the idea for "Happy Noodle Boy"? Why does Happy Noodle Boy scream nonsensical phrases at people? Why does Happy Noodle Boy get shot at the end of every strip? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 1,192 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)