|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What effect do humans have on the planet, according to the Devil?
2. According to Nail Bunny, what was different about Johnny before?
3. What happens to the male captive who is trying to escape in Part 5?
4. Who is the first one to talk to Johnny when he returns from Hell?
5. What happens to the young woman when she reaches the door of Johnny's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Johnny observe about the state of Heaven, and what is the reason for it?
2. According to Tess, why did she end up as a captive in Johnny's house?
3. What does Johnny's female captive say, in Part 4, that he is offended by?
4. What happens to Johnny at the end of Part 4?
5. What does Johnny reveal to Squee, in Part 4?
6. What happens when the gatekeeper reads Johnny's list of actions during his life?
7. What problems does Johnny encounter in Hell?
8. What is the topic of the public service announcement in Part 4?
9. What does Nail Bunny say, in Part 4, about Johnny's hobbies before the killing?
10. What powers do the people in Heaven have, and how does Johnny use his?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tess comments that she can't believe that she is leaving a house where jerks are kept in chains and tortured, to the outside world where they roam free. What service is Johnny providing to the general public? Is there anything redeeming in his activities? What might he do differently to be more of a benefit to society? Does he teach people anything, or simply gratify his own anger? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Johnny meets God in Part 6. How is God depicted? How does God respond when Johnny asks him questions? What excuse does he give Johnny for not answering his questions? How does Johnny feel after talking to God, and why? What can we infer about the author's attitude toward God and religion, based on his depiction of God. Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Faith is an important motif in this book. How does Johnny feel about God and the afterlife? Does his opinion change after talking to God and Satan? Why or why not? How do Johnny's attitudes about faith and religion play a part in his interactions with his victims? Would his actions change if he had faith? Why or why not? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 1,229 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)