|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Nail Bunny, what was different about Johnny before?
2. What does the young woman learn, as she is escaping with the other captive in Part 5?
3. How does Johnny hurt himself, when he visits Squee in Part 4?
4. Why is the female captive frightened by the new character who is introduced in Part 5?
5. What effect do humans have on the planet, according to the Devil?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the topic of the public service announcement in Part 4?
2. What happens to Johnny at the end of Part 4?
3. What powers do the people in Heaven have, and how does Johnny use his?
4. Who is Anne Gwish, and what is revealed about her character in Part 5?
5. What happened when Johnny kidnapped Kirk?
6. What does Johnny observe about the state of Heaven, and what is the reason for it?
7. What happens to the young woman and the newly-introduced captive in the first strip of Part 5?
8. What is Johnny's role in the world, according to the Devil?
9. What do Johnny and the Devil discuss, regarding God?
10. What happens when the gatekeeper reads Johnny's list of actions during his life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Johnny's closest relationship to another person is with Squee, the little boy who lives next door. Why does Johnny get along so well with Squee? Why does Johnny appear almost protective of Squee at times? How does Squee react to Johnny, and why? Why is Johnny able to maintain a relationship with Squee, but not with anyone else? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Johnny tells the woman at the fast-food restaurant that he does not leave home to be ridiculed, and that his appearance is none of her business. How does this satirical interaction reflect actual exchanges between people? Why are people so often judged by others? What is the appeal of conformity? Why are those who are different often ridiculed or feared? How does Johnny react to this ridicule, and why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Johnny C. is clearly an autobiographical character, created by the author as a reflection of himself. What are their similarities and differences? What has prevented the author from becoming like Johnny? What experiences did they both share, which affected them in adulthood? How would the book have been different if Vasquez hadn't shared some experiences with Johnny? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 1,227 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)