|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the second strip in Part 6 out of place?
2. What does the young woman wish she had on tape, in Part 5?
3. What happens to the young man from the movie theater?
4. How does Johnny hurt himself, when he visits Squee in Part 4?
5. What does Johnny want to keep, when he returns from Hell?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Johnny and the Devil discuss, regarding God?
2. What happens to Johnny at the end of Part 4?
3. What does Johnny's female captive say, in Part 4, that he is offended by?
4. What do the Dough Boys discuss with Tess and Kirk, in Part 5?
5. What does Johnny discuss with his female captive, in the second strip of Part 4?
6. What happens when the gatekeeper reads Johnny's list of actions during his life?
7. What is Johnny's role in the world, according to the Devil?
8. What comes through the floor at the beginning of Part 5?
9. What happens to the young woman and the newly-introduced captive in the first strip of Part 5?
10. What is everyone in Heaven doing, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Johnny claims that violence in the media is only a problem if those watching it are idiots; this is the opposite of the commonly-heard argument that violence in the media is desensitizing, and creates violence in real life. Which point of view do you agree with? Is media violence only dangerous if it isn't put into context, and if those watching it cannot distinguish it as fiction and not reality? Or, is any amount of violence damaging because it diminishes our natural responses to horrific sights and actions? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Tess comments that she can't believe that she is leaving a house where jerks are kept in chains and tortured, to the outside world where they roam free. What service is Johnny providing to the general public? Is there anything redeeming in his activities? What might he do differently to be more of a benefit to society? Does he teach people anything, or simply gratify his own anger? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Johnny tells the woman at the fast-food restaurant that he does not leave home to be ridiculed, and that his appearance is none of her business. How does this satirical interaction reflect actual exchanges between people? Why are people so often judged by others? What is the appeal of conformity? Why are those who are different often ridiculed or feared? How does Johnny react to this ridicule, and why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 1,177 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)