|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Johnny write, at the end of Part 5?
2. Who is possessed by the ghost of Happy Noodle Boy, in Part 5?
3. What does Johnny confess at the end of the first strip of Part 4?
4. How does God respond to Johnny's questions?
5. What is the name of the young man from the movie theater?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Johnny's role in the world, according to the Devil?
2. What do the Dough Boys discuss with Tess and Kirk, in Part 5?
3. What does Johnny reveal to Squee, in Part 4?
4. What is Johnny discussing, and with whom, at the beginning of Part 4?
5. What problems does Johnny encounter in Hell?
6. Who is Anne Gwish, and what is revealed about her character in Part 5?
7. What happened when Johnny kidnapped Kirk?
8. What does Nail Bunny say, in Part 4, about Johnny's hobbies before the killing?
9. What is everyone in Heaven doing, and why?
10. What happens when the gatekeeper reads Johnny's list of actions during his life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tess learns some valuable lessons about the way she was living her life, through her captivity and experience at Johnny's. Why does she dislike Kirk and the other captives? Why did she spend so much time with Dillon, if she disliked him so much? What does she realize about the people with whom she associated herself? If she had escaped, what would she have changed? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Tess comments that she can't believe that she is leaving a house where jerks are kept in chains and tortured, to the outside world where they roam free. What service is Johnny providing to the general public? Is there anything redeeming in his activities? What might he do differently to be more of a benefit to society? Does he teach people anything, or simply gratify his own anger? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
In the foreword, it is said that JTHM is good for readers, and that animal instincts must be given expression in the imagination or they will be set loose in the real world. Do you agree with this statement? Is it a good thing for people to read things such as JTHM, to give themselves the opportunity to fantasize about things that are unacceptable in modern society? Or does it desensitize the reader to violence, making the escape of those deadly animal instincts even more likely? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 1,235 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)