|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the young woman when she reaches the door of Johnny's house?
2. Why are Heaven's inhabitants content?
3. Who is the first one to talk to Johnny when he returns from Hell?
4. Why does Anne make her weekly outing?
5. Who is introduced at the beginning of Part 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the gatekeeper reads Johnny's list of actions during his life?
2. What powers do the people in Heaven have, and how does Johnny use his?
3. What do the Dough Boys discuss with Tess and Kirk, in Part 5?
4. What happens to Johnny at the end of Part 4?
5. What does Johnny think happened, to make him who he is now?
6. What does Tess dislike about Kirk?
7. What does Johnny discuss with his female captive, in the second strip of Part 4?
8. What is everyone in Heaven doing, and why?
9. What happens to the young woman and the newly-introduced captive in the first strip of Part 5?
10. What comes through the floor at the beginning of Part 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Johnny has a conversation with one of his captives about a theme which is prevalent in the book: internal versus external beauty. How does Johnny define "beauty"? Upon which of these characteristics does he place the most emphasis, and why? How does Johnny feel about himself? Is he beautiful internally, externally, both, or neither? Why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Johnny tells the woman at the fast-food restaurant that he does not leave home to be ridiculed, and that his appearance is none of her business. How does this satirical interaction reflect actual exchanges between people? Why are people so often judged by others? What is the appeal of conformity? Why are those who are different often ridiculed or feared? How does Johnny react to this ridicule, and why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
There are public service announcements throughout the book, which satirize different aspects of society. What is the purpose of these strips, and what messages are they intended to convey? What do they reveal about the author's attitudes towards various issues present in today's society, and why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 1,026 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)