|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the second strip in Part 6 out of place?
2. Why does the young woman choose not to save the people in the room she encounters on her way out of Johnny's house?
3. How old was the boy in the second public service announcement when he left home?
4. According to the gatekeeper, what is the reason for the condition of the place Johnny goes to in Part 6?
5. What does Johnny want to keep, when he returns from Hell?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Johnny and the Devil discuss, regarding God?
2. What does Johnny reveal to Squee, in Part 4?
3. What powers do the people in Heaven have, and how does Johnny use his?
4. What does Johnny's female captive say, in Part 4, that he is offended by?
5. How does Johnny feel when he returns from Hell?
6. What comes through the floor at the beginning of Part 5?
7. What is Johnny discussing, and with whom, at the beginning of Part 4?
8. What does Nail Bunny say, in Part 4, about Johnny's hobbies before the killing?
9. What is everyone in Heaven doing, and why?
10. What happens when Tess and Kirk encounter the room full of captives, in Part 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are public service announcements throughout the book, which satirize different aspects of society. What is the purpose of these strips, and what messages are they intended to convey? What do they reveal about the author's attitudes towards various issues present in today's society, and why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
The Devil explains to Johnny that his role on Earth was that of a "waste-lock." What, specifically, was Johnny's intended purpose, according to the Devil? Why was he a poor choice to fulfill that role? Why was the function he performed a necessary one? What set Johnny apart from the other waste-locks? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Nail-Bunny, D-Boy, Mr. Eff and Burger Boy all started off as the voices for different aspects of Johnny's personality; however, the Dough Boys became self-aware, and gained a great deal of power, while Nail Bunny and Burger Boy did not. What made Mr. Eff and Burger Boy different from the others? How, and why, did they become so powerful? What purpose do they serve in the book? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 1,177 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)