|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Anne go once per week?
2. What term does the Devil use to describe Johnny?
3. How old was the boy in the second public service announcement when he left home?
4. What does the young woman wish she had on tape, in Part 5?
5. Who is Anne Gwish?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the young woman and the newly-introduced captive in the first strip of Part 5?
2. What do the Dough Boys discuss with Tess and Kirk, in Part 5?
3. What does Tess dislike about Kirk?
4. What comes through the floor at the beginning of Part 5?
5. What does Johnny observe about the state of Heaven, and what is the reason for it?
6. What does Nail Bunny say, in Part 4, about Johnny's hobbies before the killing?
7. What is Johnny discussing, and with whom, at the beginning of Part 4?
8. What do Johnny and the Devil discuss, regarding God?
9. What is everyone in Heaven doing, and why?
10. What happens when the gatekeeper reads Johnny's list of actions during his life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Johnny tells the woman at the fast-food restaurant that he does not leave home to be ridiculed, and that his appearance is none of her business. How does this satirical interaction reflect actual exchanges between people? Why are people so often judged by others? What is the appeal of conformity? Why are those who are different often ridiculed or feared? How does Johnny react to this ridicule, and why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Who are D-Boy, Nail Bunny, Mr. Eff and Burger Boy? What purpose does each one serve for Johnny? How do they help the reader gain insight into Johnny's character? How do they help Johnny himself to make decisions, analyze his actions and refocus when he gets upset? What part of Johnny's life and personality does each one represent, and why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
The Devil explains to Johnny that his role on Earth was that of a "waste-lock." What, specifically, was Johnny's intended purpose, according to the Devil? Why was he a poor choice to fulfill that role? Why was the function he performed a necessary one? What set Johnny apart from the other waste-locks? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 1,003 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)