|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the female captive frightened by the new character who is introduced in Part 5?
2. What term does the Devil use to describe Johnny?
3. Who is possessed by the ghost of Happy Noodle Boy, in Part 5?
4. What happens to the young man from the movie theater?
5. How does Johnny write his final comments, at the end of Part 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Anne Gwish, and what is revealed about her character in Part 5?
2. What does Johnny think happened, to make him who he is now?
3. What does Johnny's female captive say, in Part 4, that he is offended by?
4. What is the topic of the public service announcement in Part 4?
5. What do the Dough Boys discuss with Tess and Kirk, in Part 5?
6. What does Johnny discuss with his female captive, in the second strip of Part 4?
7. How does Johnny feel when he returns from Hell?
8. What happens to Johnny at the end of Part 4?
9. What do Johnny and the Devil discuss, regarding God?
10. What does Johnny observe about the state of Heaven, and what is the reason for it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Johnny C. is clearly an autobiographical character, created by the author as a reflection of himself. What are their similarities and differences? What has prevented the author from becoming like Johnny? What experiences did they both share, which affected them in adulthood? How would the book have been different if Vasquez hadn't shared some experiences with Johnny? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Johnny has a conversation with one of his captives about a theme which is prevalent in the book: internal versus external beauty. How does Johnny define "beauty"? Upon which of these characteristics does he place the most emphasis, and why? How does Johnny feel about himself? Is he beautiful internally, externally, both, or neither? Why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Johnny meets God in Part 6. How is God depicted? How does God respond when Johnny asks him questions? What excuse does he give Johnny for not answering his questions? How does Johnny feel after talking to God, and why? What can we infer about the author's attitude toward God and religion, based on his depiction of God. Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 1,151 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)