|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Johnny have difficulty remembering, in Part 4?
2. What does Johnny want to keep, when he returns from Hell?
3. What does Johnny observe upon his arrival, in the first strip of Part 6?
4. What do individuals in Heaven realize about aggression?
5. What does Nail Bunny deduce from the fact that Johnny tried to kill Devi?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Johnny feel when he returns from Hell?
2. What happens to the young woman and the newly-introduced captive in the first strip of Part 5?
3. What happens when Tess and Kirk encounter the room full of captives, in Part 5?
4. What happens when the gatekeeper reads Johnny's list of actions during his life?
5. What is everyone in Heaven doing, and why?
6. What does Johnny's female captive say, in Part 4, that he is offended by?
7. What does Johnny observe about the state of Heaven, and what is the reason for it?
8. What is the topic of the public service announcement in Part 4?
9. What does Johnny think happened, to make him who he is now?
10. What do the Dough Boys discuss with Tess and Kirk, in Part 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Johnny meets the Devil in Part 6. How is the Devil depicted? What do Johnny and the Devil talk about? What is the purpose of Hell, and why are its inhabitants there? What information does the Devil give to Johnny? Why is he able to get this information from the Devil, but not from God? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Tess comments that she can't believe that she is leaving a house where jerks are kept in chains and tortured, to the outside world where they roam free. What service is Johnny providing to the general public? Is there anything redeeming in his activities? What might he do differently to be more of a benefit to society? Does he teach people anything, or simply gratify his own anger? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Johnny C. is clearly an autobiographical character, created by the author as a reflection of himself. What are their similarities and differences? What has prevented the author from becoming like Johnny? What experiences did they both share, which affected them in adulthood? How would the book have been different if Vasquez hadn't shared some experiences with Johnny? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 1,189 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)