|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the young woman when she reaches the door of Johnny's house?
2. How does Johnny hurt himself, when he visits Squee in Part 4?
3. Why are Heaven's inhabitants content?
4. What does the Devil ask Johnny to call him?
5. Why is the second strip in Part 6 out of place?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Johnny reveal to Squee, in Part 4?
2. What does Nail Bunny say, in Part 4, about Johnny's hobbies before the killing?
3. What happens when the gatekeeper reads Johnny's list of actions during his life?
4. What problems does Johnny encounter in Hell?
5. Who is Anne Gwish, and what is revealed about her character in Part 5?
6. According to Tess, why did she end up as a captive in Johnny's house?
7. What powers do the people in Heaven have, and how does Johnny use his?
8. What do the Dough Boys discuss with Tess and Kirk, in Part 5?
9. What comes through the floor at the beginning of Part 5?
10. What happened when Johnny kidnapped Kirk?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Johnny claims that violence in the media is only a problem if those watching it are idiots; this is the opposite of the commonly-heard argument that violence in the media is desensitizing, and creates violence in real life. Which point of view do you agree with? Is media violence only dangerous if it isn't put into context, and if those watching it cannot distinguish it as fiction and not reality? Or, is any amount of violence damaging because it diminishes our natural responses to horrific sights and actions? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Johnny is afraid of the monster that lives behind his wall, and thinks he has to paint the wall with blood to keep the monster at bay. At what point does this idea go from a deranged fantasy, to an actual threat? Why is the monster included in the book? What purpose does it serve? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Devi, Johnny's love interest, is an important character, though her part is small. Why does Johnny try to kill Devi? How does she react to this incident? What were Johnny's intentions, and how did she interpret his actions? Why is she the only one of Johnny's victims who survives? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 1,223 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)