|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Johnny destroy the tranquility of Heaven?
2. Where is Johnny, at the beginning of Part 6?
3. What do the individuals in Heaven choose not to utilize?
4. How does Johnny hurt himself, when he visits Squee in Part 4?
5. What happens to the young woman when she reaches the door of Johnny's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What problems does Johnny encounter in Hell?
2. What happens to Johnny at the end of Part 4?
3. What does Nail Bunny say, in Part 4, about Johnny's hobbies before the killing?
4. According to Tess, why did she end up as a captive in Johnny's house?
5. How does Johnny feel when he returns from Hell?
6. What powers do the people in Heaven have, and how does Johnny use his?
7. What does Johnny observe about the state of Heaven, and what is the reason for it?
8. What do Johnny and the Devil discuss, regarding God?
9. What do the Dough Boys discuss with Tess and Kirk, in Part 5?
10. What happens to the young woman and the newly-introduced captive in the first strip of Part 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Anne Gwish's role in the book is small, but important. What are her main concerns? How does she perpetuate the problem from which she wishes to escape? What message is the author attempting to communicate through use of her character, and why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Johnny tells the woman at the fast-food restaurant that he does not leave home to be ridiculed, and that his appearance is none of her business. How does this satirical interaction reflect actual exchanges between people? Why are people so often judged by others? What is the appeal of conformity? Why are those who are different often ridiculed or feared? How does Johnny react to this ridicule, and why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Johnny's closest relationship to another person is with Squee, the little boy who lives next door. Why does Johnny get along so well with Squee? Why does Johnny appear almost protective of Squee at times? How does Squee react to Johnny, and why? Why is Johnny able to maintain a relationship with Squee, but not with anyone else? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 1,139 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)