|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The survey taker informs Johnny that some believe what about the killer?
2. What day of the week is it, in the second strip of Part 3?
3. What does Johnny consider doing to avoid the discomfort caused by the things his victims say?
4. Who is Happy Noodle Boy?
5. What does D-Boy say about Devi in Part 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why isn't the first captive in Part 2 afraid of dying, and how does Johnny respond to his lack of fear?
2. How does Johnny feel about himself?
3. What happens to Squee in Part 3?
4. What does Johnny do to help Squee, in Part 3?
5. What happens at the convenience store, in Part 2?
6. What discussion does Johnny have at the beginning of Part 3?
7. What does the first captive in Part 2 ask Johnny to do, and why does he refuse?
8. How does Johnny feel about his victims?
9. What happens to Happy Noodle Boy, in Part 2?
10. How does Johnny's first encounter with Devi end?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Johnny's "Happy Noodle Boy" cartoons are prevalent in the book, and they offer insight into Johnny's personality. How did Johnny get the idea for "Happy Noodle Boy"? Why does Happy Noodle Boy scream nonsensical phrases at people? Why does Happy Noodle Boy get shot at the end of every strip? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Faith is an important motif in this book. How does Johnny feel about God and the afterlife? Does his opinion change after talking to God and Satan? Why or why not? How do Johnny's attitudes about faith and religion play a part in his interactions with his victims? Would his actions change if he had faith? Why or why not? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Johnny meets God in Part 6. How is God depicted? How does God respond when Johnny asks him questions? What excuse does he give Johnny for not answering his questions? How does Johnny feel after talking to God, and why? What can we infer about the author's attitude toward God and religion, based on his depiction of God. Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 1,042 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)