|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Johnny tell Squee not to do again, the first time they meet?
2. What is ironic about Johnny's house number?
3. What threat does Johnny make to the female captive in Part 2?
4. What does Johnny do to the man in the cafe bathroom?
5. What is strange about Johnny's doorbell?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Johnny do to help Squee, in Part 3?
2. What happens to Happy Noodle Boy, in Part 2?
3. Why isn't the first captive in Part 2 afraid of dying, and how does Johnny respond to his lack of fear?
4. What is Squee's relationship with his parents like?
5. Who is Devi, and what brings her and Johnny together?
6. How does Johnny's first encounter with Devi end?
7. How does Johnny feel about his victims?
8. Who is Shmee?
9. Who is the first character to be introduced in the book, and how is he introduced?
10. What does Happy Noodle Boy do, at the end of Part 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Johnny C. is clearly an autobiographical character, created by the author as a reflection of himself. What are their similarities and differences? What has prevented the author from becoming like Johnny? What experiences did they both share, which affected them in adulthood? How would the book have been different if Vasquez hadn't shared some experiences with Johnny? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Johnny is afraid of the monster that lives behind his wall, and thinks he has to paint the wall with blood to keep the monster at bay. At what point does this idea go from a deranged fantasy, to an actual threat? Why is the monster included in the book? What purpose does it serve? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Johnny's "Happy Noodle Boy" cartoons are prevalent in the book, and they offer insight into Johnny's personality. How did Johnny get the idea for "Happy Noodle Boy"? Why does Happy Noodle Boy scream nonsensical phrases at people? Why does Happy Noodle Boy get shot at the end of every strip? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 1,003 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)