|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Johnny do with the surveyor after stabbing him?
2. Who is Happy Noodle Boy?
3. Who is the first character to be introduced?
4. What does Johnny write about himself in his "die-ary", after killing the young woman in Part 2?
5. What nickname does Johnny use when introducing himself?
Short Essay Questions
1. What comments does Johnny make, in Part 2, regarding his victims' last moments?
2. Who is the main character, and what does he do?
3. Who is the first character to be introduced in the book, and how is he introduced?
4. How does Johnny's first encounter with Devi end?
5. What is the last thing Johnny writes in his "die-ary", in Part 2?
6. What discussion does Johnny have at the beginning of Part 3?
7. How does Johnny feel about himself?
8. What triggers Johnny's killing spree at the cafe?
9. Which characters influence Johnny, regarding whether or not he should commit suicide, in Part 1?
10. What does Happy Noodle Boy do, at the end of Part 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Anne Gwish's role in the book is small, but important. What are her main concerns? How does she perpetuate the problem from which she wishes to escape? What message is the author attempting to communicate through use of her character, and why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Johnny states, at the end of the book, that he doesn't like where his life is, but he is excited about where it is going. What doesn't Johnny like about his life at present? What changes is he making that will affect the course of his life in the future? What will the results of those changes be, and why? What are Johnny's long-term goals? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Johnny's "Happy Noodle Boy" cartoons are prevalent in the book, and they offer insight into Johnny's personality. How did Johnny get the idea for "Happy Noodle Boy"? Why does Happy Noodle Boy scream nonsensical phrases at people? Why does Happy Noodle Boy get shot at the end of every strip? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 978 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)