|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Squee see when he returns to his room from talking to his parents, in Part 1?
2. What is strange about Johnny's doorbell?
3. Why does Johnny try to shock himself with a Taser in Part 3?
4. What does the captive, in Part 2, suggest Johnny should do?
5. Why does Johnny try to kill Devi?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why isn't the first captive in Part 2 afraid of dying, and how does Johnny respond to his lack of fear?
2. What happens to Squee in Part 3?
3. What does Johnny do to help Squee, in Part 3?
4. How does Johnny feel about himself?
5. What precipitates Johnny's rampage at the fast-food restaurant?
6. What are some of the reasons Johnny cites for killing people in the cafe, in Part 3?
7. How does Johnny feel about his victims?
8. Who is the first character to be introduced in the book, and how is he introduced?
9. What discussion does Johnny have at the beginning of Part 3?
10. What does the survey taker question Johnny about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Faith is an important motif in this book. How does Johnny feel about God and the afterlife? Does his opinion change after talking to God and Satan? Why or why not? How do Johnny's attitudes about faith and religion play a part in his interactions with his victims? Would his actions change if he had faith? Why or why not? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Tess learns some valuable lessons about the way she was living her life, through her captivity and experience at Johnny's. Why does she dislike Kirk and the other captives? Why did she spend so much time with Dillon, if she disliked him so much? What does she realize about the people with whom she associated herself? If she had escaped, what would she have changed? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Devi, Johnny's love interest, is an important character, though her part is small. Why does Johnny try to kill Devi? How does she react to this incident? What were Johnny's intentions, and how did she interpret his actions? Why is she the only one of Johnny's victims who survives? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 1,079 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)