|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Johnny choose to buy the house he currently lives in?
2. Who does the woman in the couple make fun of, in Part 3?
3. What day of the week is it, in the second strip of Part 3?
4. The survey taker in Part 1 is asking people in the community for their thoughts on what?
5. What is the result of Johnny's attempt to kill Devi?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Johnny do to help Squee, in Part 3?
2. What does the first captive in Part 2 ask Johnny to do, and why does he refuse?
3. What is Squee's relationship with his parents like?
4. Why isn't the first captive in Part 2 afraid of dying, and how does Johnny respond to his lack of fear?
5. What happens to the young couple in Part 3?
6. Why isn't Johnny's victim amused by the story Johnny tells in Part 3?
7. What happens at the convenience store, in Part 2?
8. What triggers Johnny's killing spree at the cafe?
9. What precipitates Johnny's rampage at the fast-food restaurant?
10. What is the comic strip written by Johnny about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Johnny C. is clearly an autobiographical character, created by the author as a reflection of himself. What are their similarities and differences? What has prevented the author from becoming like Johnny? What experiences did they both share, which affected them in adulthood? How would the book have been different if Vasquez hadn't shared some experiences with Johnny? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Johnny's "Happy Noodle Boy" cartoons are prevalent in the book, and they offer insight into Johnny's personality. How did Johnny get the idea for "Happy Noodle Boy"? Why does Happy Noodle Boy scream nonsensical phrases at people? Why does Happy Noodle Boy get shot at the end of every strip? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Who are D-Boy, Nail Bunny, Mr. Eff and Burger Boy? What purpose does each one serve for Johnny? How do they help the reader gain insight into Johnny's character? How do they help Johnny himself to make decisions, analyze his actions and refocus when he gets upset? What part of Johnny's life and personality does each one represent, and why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 1,084 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)