|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Squee's father respond when Squee tells him he is frightened?
2. Why is Squee frightened at the beginning of the book?
3. What does Mr. Eff say about Devi in Part 2?
4. What is strange about Johnny's doorbell?
5. What is ironic about Johnny's house number?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Johnny feel about his second captive, the young woman, in Part 2?
2. What does Johnny do to help Squee, in Part 3?
3. What are some of the reasons Johnny cites for killing people in the cafe, in Part 3?
4. What happened when Johnny kidnapped Kirk?
5. What is Squee's relationship with his parents like?
6. What comments does Johnny make, in Part 2, regarding his victims' last moments?
7. What does Nail Bunny say, in Part 4, about Johnny's hobbies before the killing?
8. Who is the main character, and what does he do?
9. What happens at the convenience store, in Part 2?
10. What does Johnny observe about the state of Heaven, and what is the reason for it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tess comments that she can't believe that she is leaving a house where jerks are kept in chains and tortured, to the outside world where they roam free. What service is Johnny providing to the general public? Is there anything redeeming in his activities? What might he do differently to be more of a benefit to society? Does he teach people anything, or simply gratify his own anger? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Johnny is afraid of the monster that lives behind his wall, and thinks he has to paint the wall with blood to keep the monster at bay. At what point does this idea go from a deranged fantasy, to an actual threat? Why is the monster included in the book? What purpose does it serve? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
There are public service announcements throughout the book, which satirize different aspects of society. What is the purpose of these strips, and what messages are they intended to convey? What do they reveal about the author's attitudes towards various issues present in today's society, and why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 2,434 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)