|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the young couple, at the end of the fourth strip in Part 3?
2. How does Johnny feel about most of the things people say when they are begging for their lives?
3. What does the survey taker say about Johnny's answers to his questions?
4. How does Squee's father respond when Squee tells him he is frightened?
5. Who is Devi?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens on the final page of the book?
2. What does Tess dislike about Kirk?
3. What does Johnny hope to accomplish with the phone call he makes in Part 7?
4. What comments does Johnny make, in Part 2, regarding his victims' last moments?
5. What does Johnny observe about the state of Heaven, and what is the reason for it?
6. Why does Jimmy come to see Johnny?
7. What is the comic strip written by Johnny about?
8. What powers do the people in Heaven have, and how does Johnny use his?
9. What does Anne Gwish do in Part 7?
10. Who is Anne Gwish, and what is revealed about her character in Part 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Johnny C. is clearly an autobiographical character, created by the author as a reflection of himself. What are their similarities and differences? What has prevented the author from becoming like Johnny? What experiences did they both share, which affected them in adulthood? How would the book have been different if Vasquez hadn't shared some experiences with Johnny? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Johnny meets God in Part 6. How is God depicted? How does God respond when Johnny asks him questions? What excuse does he give Johnny for not answering his questions? How does Johnny feel after talking to God, and why? What can we infer about the author's attitude toward God and religion, based on his depiction of God. Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Johnny is afraid of the monster that lives behind his wall, and thinks he has to paint the wall with blood to keep the monster at bay. At what point does this idea go from a deranged fantasy, to an actual threat? Why is the monster included in the book? What purpose does it serve? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 2,342 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)