|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What threat does Johnny make to the female captive in Part 2?
2. What is the result of Johnny's attempt to kill Devi?
3. What song is Johnny listening to as he walks, in the first strip of Part 3?
4. What is the name of Squee's teddy bear?
5. Why is the captive in Part 2 unafraid of death?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Johnny's first encounter with Devi end?
2. What precipitates Johnny's rampage at the fast-food restaurant?
3. How does Johnny feel about his victims?
4. Why does Johnny want to harm the first captive in Part 2?
5. What happens at the convenience store, in Part 2?
6. Who is Shmee?
7. Why isn't the first captive in Part 2 afraid of dying, and how does Johnny respond to his lack of fear?
8. Who is the main character, and what does he do?
9. What triggers Johnny's killing spree at the cafe?
10. What does Happy Noodle Boy do, at the end of Part 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Johnny C. is clearly an autobiographical character, created by the author as a reflection of himself. What are their similarities and differences? What has prevented the author from becoming like Johnny? What experiences did they both share, which affected them in adulthood? How would the book have been different if Vasquez hadn't shared some experiences with Johnny? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Johnny claims that violence in the media is only a problem if those watching it are idiots; this is the opposite of the commonly-heard argument that violence in the media is desensitizing, and creates violence in real life. Which point of view do you agree with? Is media violence only dangerous if it isn't put into context, and if those watching it cannot distinguish it as fiction and not reality? Or, is any amount of violence damaging because it diminishes our natural responses to horrific sights and actions? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Johnny meets the Devil in Part 6. How is the Devil depicted? What do Johnny and the Devil talk about? What is the purpose of Hell, and why are its inhabitants there? What information does the Devil give to Johnny? Why is he able to get this information from the Devil, but not from God? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 1,000 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)