|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the couple in Part 3 talking about as they walk home from the theater?
2. What is Johnny searching for in Squee's bathroom?
3. What does the survey taker say about Johnny's answers to his questions?
4. Why does Johnny tell Squee to run home, in the second strip of Part 3?
5. What is the result of Johnny's attempt to kill Devi?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Johnny do to help Squee, in Part 3?
2. What precipitates Johnny's rampage at the fast-food restaurant?
3. Which characters influence Johnny, regarding whether or not he should commit suicide, in Part 1?
4. How does Johnny feel about his second captive, the young woman, in Part 2?
5. What is Squee's relationship with his parents like?
6. What does the survey taker question Johnny about?
7. What happens to Squee in Part 3?
8. Why isn't the first captive in Part 2 afraid of dying, and how does Johnny respond to his lack of fear?
9. Why does Johnny want to harm the first captive in Part 2?
10. What does Happy Noodle Boy do, at the end of Part 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who are D-Boy, Nail Bunny, Mr. Eff and Burger Boy? What purpose does each one serve for Johnny? How do they help the reader gain insight into Johnny's character? How do they help Johnny himself to make decisions, analyze his actions and refocus when he gets upset? What part of Johnny's life and personality does each one represent, and why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Johnny has a conversation with one of his captives about a theme which is prevalent in the book: internal versus external beauty. How does Johnny define "beauty"? Upon which of these characteristics does he place the most emphasis, and why? How does Johnny feel about himself? Is he beautiful internally, externally, both, or neither? Why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Johnny C. is clearly an autobiographical character, created by the author as a reflection of himself. What are their similarities and differences? What has prevented the author from becoming like Johnny? What experiences did they both share, which affected them in adulthood? How would the book have been different if Vasquez hadn't shared some experiences with Johnny? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 1,053 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)