|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Johnny tell Squee to run home, in the second strip of Part 3?
2. Johnny goes into the cafe, in Part 3, instead of going where?
3. What word causes Johnny to go on a rampage in a fast-food restaurant?
4. What day of the week is it, in the second strip of Part 3?
5. Why did Johnny choose to buy the house he currently lives in?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why isn't Johnny's victim amused by the story Johnny tells in Part 3?
2. What does the survey taker question Johnny about?
3. Why isn't the first captive in Part 2 afraid of dying, and how does Johnny respond to his lack of fear?
4. What is the last thing Johnny writes in his "die-ary", in Part 2?
5. How does Johnny feel about his victims?
6. What is Squee's relationship with his parents like?
7. What does Johnny do to help Squee, in Part 3?
8. What happens at the convenience store, in Part 2?
9. Who is Devi, and what brings her and Johnny together?
10. What does the first captive in Part 2 ask Johnny to do, and why does he refuse?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tess comments that she can't believe that she is leaving a house where jerks are kept in chains and tortured, to the outside world where they roam free. What service is Johnny providing to the general public? Is there anything redeeming in his activities? What might he do differently to be more of a benefit to society? Does he teach people anything, or simply gratify his own anger? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Johnny tells the woman at the fast-food restaurant that he does not leave home to be ridiculed, and that his appearance is none of her business. How does this satirical interaction reflect actual exchanges between people? Why are people so often judged by others? What is the appeal of conformity? Why are those who are different often ridiculed or feared? How does Johnny react to this ridicule, and why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Tess learns some valuable lessons about the way she was living her life, through her captivity and experience at Johnny's. Why does she dislike Kirk and the other captives? Why did she spend so much time with Dillon, if she disliked him so much? What does she realize about the people with whom she associated herself? If she had escaped, what would she have changed? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 1,012 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)