|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Devi jokingly threaten to do to Johnny, in Part 2?
2. What does the man outside the cafe ask Johnny for?
3. Johnny is convinced, at the beginning of Part 3, that he spends too much time focusing on what?
4. Why does the unknown man in Part 3 get so angry with Squee?
5. What does Mr. Eff say about Devi in Part 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the young couple in Part 3?
2. Who is the first character to be introduced in the book, and how is he introduced?
3. What comments does Johnny make, in Part 2, regarding his victims' last moments?
4. Why isn't Johnny's victim amused by the story Johnny tells in Part 3?
5. What does the first captive in Part 2 ask Johnny to do, and why does he refuse?
6. What discussion does Johnny have at the beginning of Part 3?
7. Why does Johnny want to harm the first captive in Part 2?
8. How does Johnny feel about his second captive, the young woman, in Part 2?
9. Who is Devi, and what brings her and Johnny together?
10. What does Happy Noodle Boy do, at the end of Part 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Johnny meets God in Part 6. How is God depicted? How does God respond when Johnny asks him questions? What excuse does he give Johnny for not answering his questions? How does Johnny feel after talking to God, and why? What can we infer about the author's attitude toward God and religion, based on his depiction of God. Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Johnny's closest relationship to another person is with Squee, the little boy who lives next door. Why does Johnny get along so well with Squee? Why does Johnny appear almost protective of Squee at times? How does Squee react to Johnny, and why? Why is Johnny able to maintain a relationship with Squee, but not with anyone else? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Tess comments that she can't believe that she is leaving a house where jerks are kept in chains and tortured, to the outside world where they roam free. What service is Johnny providing to the general public? Is there anything redeeming in his activities? What might he do differently to be more of a benefit to society? Does he teach people anything, or simply gratify his own anger? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 1,081 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)