|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Johnny's voice of insanity, who drives him further into his illness?
2. Why does Johnny tell Squee to run home, in the second strip of Part 3?
3. What is the couple in Part 3 talking about as they walk home from the theater?
4. What is Johnny's house number?
5. What does Mr. Eff say about Devi in Part 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the first character to be introduced in the book, and how is he introduced?
2. What happens at the convenience store, in Part 2?
3. What does the first captive in Part 2 ask Johnny to do, and why does he refuse?
4. What does the survey taker question Johnny about?
5. How does Johnny feel about himself?
6. Why does Johnny want to harm the first captive in Part 2?
7. How does Johnny feel about his second captive, the young woman, in Part 2?
8. What happens to Happy Noodle Boy, in Part 2?
9. Why isn't the first captive in Part 2 afraid of dying, and how does Johnny respond to his lack of fear?
10. Why isn't Johnny's victim amused by the story Johnny tells in Part 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Johnny's closest relationship to another person is with Squee, the little boy who lives next door. Why does Johnny get along so well with Squee? Why does Johnny appear almost protective of Squee at times? How does Squee react to Johnny, and why? Why is Johnny able to maintain a relationship with Squee, but not with anyone else? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Johnny C. is clearly an autobiographical character, created by the author as a reflection of himself. What are their similarities and differences? What has prevented the author from becoming like Johnny? What experiences did they both share, which affected them in adulthood? How would the book have been different if Vasquez hadn't shared some experiences with Johnny? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Devi, Johnny's love interest, is an important character, though her part is small. Why does Johnny try to kill Devi? How does she react to this incident? What were Johnny's intentions, and how did she interpret his actions? Why is she the only one of Johnny's victims who survives? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 1,030 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)