|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Johnny consider doing to avoid the discomfort caused by the things his victims say?
2. What does Johnny write about himself in his "die-ary", after killing the young woman in Part 2?
3. Who is Johnny's voice of insanity, who drives him further into his illness?
4. What day of the week is it, in the second strip of Part 3?
5. What is the captive's name, in Part 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Squee's relationship with his parents like?
2. What is the topic of the public service announcement in Part 4?
3. What happens on the final page of the book?
4. What problems does Johnny encounter in Hell?
5. What is Johnny discussing, and with whom, at the beginning of Part 4?
6. Why does Jimmy come to see Johnny?
7. What does Johnny think happened, to make him who he is now?
8. What is Johnny's role in the world, according to the Devil?
9. What is the comic strip written by Johnny about?
10. How does Johnny react to Jimmy in Part 7, and why?
Essay Topic 1
Johnny claims that violence in the media is only a problem if those watching it are idiots; this is the opposite of the commonly-heard argument that violence in the media is desensitizing, and creates violence in real life. Which point of view do you agree with? Is media violence only dangerous if it isn't put into context, and if those watching it cannot distinguish it as fiction and not reality? Or, is any amount of violence damaging because it diminishes our natural responses to horrific sights and actions? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Johnny is afraid of the monster that lives behind his wall, and thinks he has to paint the wall with blood to keep the monster at bay. At what point does this idea go from a deranged fantasy, to an actual threat? Why is the monster included in the book? What purpose does it serve? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Johnny's closest relationship to another person is with Squee, the little boy who lives next door. Why does Johnny get along so well with Squee? Why does Johnny appear almost protective of Squee at times? How does Squee react to Johnny, and why? Why is Johnny able to maintain a relationship with Squee, but not with anyone else? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 2,280 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)