Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What compliment does Johnny give to the female captive in Part 2?
2. Why does Johnny stop momentarily during his rampage in the cafe?
3. Johnny goes into the cafe, in Part 3, instead of going where?
4. What does Johnny write in his "die-ary" at the end of Part 2?
5. Who is Johnny's voice of sanity and reason?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Johnny think happened, to make him who he is now?
2. What is the last thing Johnny writes in his "die-ary", in Part 2?
3. According to Tess, why did she end up as a captive in Johnny's house?
4. What is Squee's relationship with his parents like?
5. Who is Anne Gwish, and what is revealed about her character in Part 5?
6. How does Johnny react to Jimmy in Part 7, and why?
7. What happens to Johnny at the end of Part 4?
8. What happens to the young couple in Part 3?
9. What happens to Happy Noodle Boy, in Part 2?
10. What happened when Johnny kidnapped Kirk?
Essay Topic 1
Johnny claims that violence in the media is only a problem if those watching it are idiots; this is the opposite of the commonly-heard argument that violence in the media is desensitizing, and creates violence in real life. Which point of view do you agree with? Is media violence only dangerous if it isn't put into context, and if those watching it cannot distinguish it as fiction and not reality? Or, is any amount of violence damaging because it diminishes our natural responses to horrific sights and actions? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
The Devil explains to Johnny that his role on Earth was that of a "waste-lock." What, specifically, was Johnny's intended purpose, according to the Devil? Why was he a poor choice to fulfill that role? Why was the function he performed a necessary one? What set Johnny apart from the other waste-locks? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Nail-Bunny, D-Boy, Mr. Eff and Burger Boy all started off as the voices for different aspects of Johnny's personality; however, the Dough Boys became self-aware, and gained a great deal of power, while Nail Bunny and Burger Boy did not. What made Mr. Eff and Burger Boy different from the others? How, and why, did they become so powerful? What purpose do they serve in the book? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 1,211 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)