|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Johnny meet Devi?
2. What happens to Happy Noodle Boy, in Part 2, after he is abducted by aliens?
3. What threat does Johnny make to the female captive in Part 2?
4. What does Johnny do to Squee's teddy bear?
5. Why is Squee frightened at the beginning of the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the survey taker question Johnny about?
2. How does Johnny's first encounter with Devi end?
3. What does the first captive in Part 2 ask Johnny to do, and why does he refuse?
4. Why does Johnny want to harm the first captive in Part 2?
5. What is Squee's relationship with his parents like?
6. What discussion does Johnny have at the beginning of Part 3?
7. How does Johnny feel about his second captive, the young woman, in Part 2?
8. Which characters influence Johnny, regarding whether or not he should commit suicide, in Part 1?
9. Who is Shmee?
10. Who is the main character, and what does he do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Johnny meets God in Part 6. How is God depicted? How does God respond when Johnny asks him questions? What excuse does he give Johnny for not answering his questions? How does Johnny feel after talking to God, and why? What can we infer about the author's attitude toward God and religion, based on his depiction of God. Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Johnny meets the Devil in Part 6. How is the Devil depicted? What do Johnny and the Devil talk about? What is the purpose of Hell, and why are its inhabitants there? What information does the Devil give to Johnny? Why is he able to get this information from the Devil, but not from God? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Faith is an important motif in this book. How does Johnny feel about God and the afterlife? Does his opinion change after talking to God and Satan? Why or why not? How do Johnny's attitudes about faith and religion play a part in his interactions with his victims? Would his actions change if he had faith? Why or why not? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 1,014 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)