|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Devi jokingly threaten to do to Johnny, in Part 2?
2. How does Johnny feel about most of the things people say when they are begging for their lives?
3. How does Squee's mother react when he tells her he is frightened?
4. What does Johnny consider doing to avoid the discomfort caused by the things his victims say?
5. What does Johnny write about himself in his "die-ary", after killing the young woman in Part 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the first captive in Part 2 ask Johnny to do, and why does he refuse?
2. What is Squee's relationship with his parents like?
3. What does Johnny do to help Squee, in Part 3?
4. What does Happy Noodle Boy do, at the end of Part 3?
5. Who is the main character, and what does he do?
6. What is the last thing Johnny writes in his "die-ary", in Part 2?
7. What triggers Johnny's killing spree at the cafe?
8. Who is the first character to be introduced in the book, and how is he introduced?
9. What is the comic strip written by Johnny about?
10. Why does Johnny want to harm the first captive in Part 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Johnny claims that violence in the media is only a problem if those watching it are idiots; this is the opposite of the commonly-heard argument that violence in the media is desensitizing, and creates violence in real life. Which point of view do you agree with? Is media violence only dangerous if it isn't put into context, and if those watching it cannot distinguish it as fiction and not reality? Or, is any amount of violence damaging because it diminishes our natural responses to horrific sights and actions? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Tess learns some valuable lessons about the way she was living her life, through her captivity and experience at Johnny's. Why does she dislike Kirk and the other captives? Why did she spend so much time with Dillon, if she disliked him so much? What does she realize about the people with whom she associated herself? If she had escaped, what would she have changed? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
There are public service announcements throughout the book, which satirize different aspects of society. What is the purpose of these strips, and what messages are they intended to convey? What do they reveal about the author's attitudes towards various issues present in today's society, and why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 1,035 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)