Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What compliment does Johnny give to the female captive in Part 2?
2. Why does Johnny stop momentarily during his rampage in the cafe?
3. Johnny goes into the cafe, in Part 3, instead of going where?
4. What does Johnny write in his "die-ary" at the end of Part 2?
5. Who is Johnny's voice of sanity and reason?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Johnny think happened, to make him who he is now?
2. What is the last thing Johnny writes in his "die-ary", in Part 2?
3. According to Tess, why did she end up as a captive in Johnny's house?
4. What is Squee's relationship with his parents like?
5. Who is Anne Gwish, and what is revealed about her character in Part 5?
6. How does Johnny react to Jimmy in Part 7, and why?
7. What happens to Johnny at the end of Part 4?
8. What happens to the young couple in Part 3?
9. What happens to Happy Noodle Boy, in Part 2?
10. What happened when Johnny kidnapped Kirk?
Essay Topic 1
Johnny meets the Devil in Part 6. How is the Devil depicted? What do Johnny and the Devil talk about? What is the purpose of Hell, and why are its inhabitants there? What information does the Devil give to Johnny? Why is he able to get this information from the Devil, but not from God? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Anne Gwish's role in the book is small, but important. What are her main concerns? How does she perpetuate the problem from which she wishes to escape? What message is the author attempting to communicate through use of her character, and why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Faith is an important motif in this book. How does Johnny feel about God and the afterlife? Does his opinion change after talking to God and Satan? Why or why not? How do Johnny's attitudes about faith and religion play a part in his interactions with his victims? Would his actions change if he had faith? Why or why not? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 1,160 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)