Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What compliment does Johnny give to the female captive in Part 2?
2. Why does Johnny stop momentarily during his rampage in the cafe?
3. Johnny goes into the cafe, in Part 3, instead of going where?
4. What does Johnny write in his "die-ary" at the end of Part 2?
5. Who is Johnny's voice of sanity and reason?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Johnny think happened, to make him who he is now?
2. What is the last thing Johnny writes in his "die-ary", in Part 2?
3. According to Tess, why did she end up as a captive in Johnny's house?
4. What is Squee's relationship with his parents like?
5. Who is Anne Gwish, and what is revealed about her character in Part 5?
6. How does Johnny react to Jimmy in Part 7, and why?
7. What happens to Johnny at the end of Part 4?
8. What happens to the young couple in Part 3?
9. What happens to Happy Noodle Boy, in Part 2?
10. What happened when Johnny kidnapped Kirk?
Essay Topic 1
Anne Gwish's role in the book is small, but important. What are her main concerns? How does she perpetuate the problem from which she wishes to escape? What message is the author attempting to communicate through use of her character, and why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
There are public service announcements throughout the book, which satirize different aspects of society. What is the purpose of these strips, and what messages are they intended to convey? What do they reveal about the author's attitudes towards various issues present in today's society, and why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Johnny's closest relationship to another person is with Squee, the little boy who lives next door. Why does Johnny get along so well with Squee? Why does Johnny appear almost protective of Squee at times? How does Squee react to Johnny, and why? Why is Johnny able to maintain a relationship with Squee, but not with anyone else? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 2,473 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)