|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Squee in the second strip of Part 3?
2. What is the subject of the public service announcement in Part 3?
3. Why does Johnny panic and leave the room the first time he is with Devi?
4. What does the survey taker say about Johnny's answers to his questions?
5. Who is Johnny's voice of insanity, who drives him further into his illness?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Squee's relationship with his parents like?
2. What does the survey taker question Johnny about?
3. What is the last thing Johnny writes in his "die-ary", in Part 2?
4. Which characters influence Johnny, regarding whether or not he should commit suicide, in Part 1?
5. What discussion does Johnny have at the beginning of Part 3?
6. How does Johnny's first encounter with Devi end?
7. Why does Johnny want to harm the first captive in Part 2?
8. What triggers Johnny's killing spree at the cafe?
9. What happens at the convenience store, in Part 2?
10. Why isn't the first captive in Part 2 afraid of dying, and how does Johnny respond to his lack of fear?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Johnny claims that violence in the media is only a problem if those watching it are idiots; this is the opposite of the commonly-heard argument that violence in the media is desensitizing, and creates violence in real life. Which point of view do you agree with? Is media violence only dangerous if it isn't put into context, and if those watching it cannot distinguish it as fiction and not reality? Or, is any amount of violence damaging because it diminishes our natural responses to horrific sights and actions? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Johnny meets God in Part 6. How is God depicted? How does God respond when Johnny asks him questions? What excuse does he give Johnny for not answering his questions? How does Johnny feel after talking to God, and why? What can we infer about the author's attitude toward God and religion, based on his depiction of God. Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Johnny tells the woman at the fast-food restaurant that he does not leave home to be ridiculed, and that his appearance is none of her business. How does this satirical interaction reflect actual exchanges between people? Why are people so often judged by others? What is the appeal of conformity? Why are those who are different often ridiculed or feared? How does Johnny react to this ridicule, and why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 1,063 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)