Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What compliment does Johnny give to the female captive in Part 2?
2. Why does Johnny stop momentarily during his rampage in the cafe?
3. Johnny goes into the cafe, in Part 3, instead of going where?
4. What does Johnny write in his "die-ary" at the end of Part 2?
5. Who is Johnny's voice of sanity and reason?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Johnny think happened, to make him who he is now?
2. What is the last thing Johnny writes in his "die-ary", in Part 2?
3. According to Tess, why did she end up as a captive in Johnny's house?
4. What is Squee's relationship with his parents like?
5. Who is Anne Gwish, and what is revealed about her character in Part 5?
6. How does Johnny react to Jimmy in Part 7, and why?
7. What happens to Johnny at the end of Part 4?
8. What happens to the young couple in Part 3?
9. What happens to Happy Noodle Boy, in Part 2?
10. What happened when Johnny kidnapped Kirk?
Essay Topic 1
Johnny states, at the end of the book, that he doesn't like where his life is, but he is excited about where it is going. What doesn't Johnny like about his life at present? What changes is he making that will affect the course of his life in the future? What will the results of those changes be, and why? What are Johnny's long-term goals? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
The Devil explains to Johnny that his role on Earth was that of a "waste-lock." What, specifically, was Johnny's intended purpose, according to the Devil? Why was he a poor choice to fulfill that role? Why was the function he performed a necessary one? What set Johnny apart from the other waste-locks? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Faith is an important motif in this book. How does Johnny feel about God and the afterlife? Does his opinion change after talking to God and Satan? Why or why not? How do Johnny's attitudes about faith and religion play a part in his interactions with his victims? Would his actions change if he had faith? Why or why not? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 1,181 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)