|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the survey taker note about one of the more recent victims?
2. What happens to Squee in the second strip of Part 3?
3. Who is Devi?
4. What does Johnny do to Squee's teddy bear?
5. What is the result of Johnny's attempt to kill Devi?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the main character, and what does he do?
2. What does Johnny do to help Squee, in Part 3?
3. How does Johnny feel about his victims?
4. How does Johnny's first encounter with Devi end?
5. What discussion does Johnny have at the beginning of Part 3?
6. Who is Shmee?
7. How does Johnny feel about his second captive, the young woman, in Part 2?
8. Why isn't the first captive in Part 2 afraid of dying, and how does Johnny respond to his lack of fear?
9. What does the survey taker question Johnny about?
10. What happens at the convenience store, in Part 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Johnny claims that violence in the media is only a problem if those watching it are idiots; this is the opposite of the commonly-heard argument that violence in the media is desensitizing, and creates violence in real life. Which point of view do you agree with? Is media violence only dangerous if it isn't put into context, and if those watching it cannot distinguish it as fiction and not reality? Or, is any amount of violence damaging because it diminishes our natural responses to horrific sights and actions? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Johnny has a conversation with one of his captives about a theme which is prevalent in the book: internal versus external beauty. How does Johnny define "beauty"? Upon which of these characteristics does he place the most emphasis, and why? How does Johnny feel about himself? Is he beautiful internally, externally, both, or neither? Why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Who are D-Boy, Nail Bunny, Mr. Eff and Burger Boy? What purpose does each one serve for Johnny? How do they help the reader gain insight into Johnny's character? How do they help Johnny himself to make decisions, analyze his actions and refocus when he gets upset? What part of Johnny's life and personality does each one represent, and why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 1,002 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)