|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word causes Johnny to go on a rampage in a fast-food restaurant?
2. What is the couple in Part 3 talking about as they walk home from the theater?
3. What does Squee do when he sees the survey taker?
4. Why does Johnny mutilate the man in the second strip of Part 3?
5. Why does Johnny tell Squee to run home, in the second strip of Part 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the last thing Johnny writes in his "die-ary", in Part 2?
2. What happens at the convenience store, in Part 2?
3. What happens to Happy Noodle Boy, in Part 2?
4. What precipitates Johnny's rampage at the fast-food restaurant?
5. Who is Shmee?
6. What does Happy Noodle Boy do, at the end of Part 3?
7. How does Johnny feel about himself?
8. What happens to the young couple in Part 3?
9. How does Johnny's first encounter with Devi end?
10. How does Johnny feel about his victims?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Devil explains to Johnny that his role on Earth was that of a "waste-lock." What, specifically, was Johnny's intended purpose, according to the Devil? Why was he a poor choice to fulfill that role? Why was the function he performed a necessary one? What set Johnny apart from the other waste-locks? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Faith is an important motif in this book. How does Johnny feel about God and the afterlife? Does his opinion change after talking to God and Satan? Why or why not? How do Johnny's attitudes about faith and religion play a part in his interactions with his victims? Would his actions change if he had faith? Why or why not? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Johnny has a conversation with one of his captives about a theme which is prevalent in the book: internal versus external beauty. How does Johnny define "beauty"? Upon which of these characteristics does he place the most emphasis, and why? How does Johnny feel about himself? Is he beautiful internally, externally, both, or neither? Why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 1,043 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)