|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Johnny choose to buy the house he currently lives in?
2. Why is Squee frightened at the beginning of the book?
3. How does Johnny account for his lack of compassion?
4. What does Johnny do to the man in the cafe bathroom?
5. Johnny accuses the survey taker of being sent by whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which characters influence Johnny, regarding whether or not he should commit suicide, in Part 1?
2. What does the first captive in Part 2 ask Johnny to do, and why does he refuse?
3. Why does Johnny want to harm the first captive in Part 2?
4. What is the comic strip written by Johnny about?
5. Who is Shmee?
6. Who is the main character, and what does he do?
7. Why isn't the first captive in Part 2 afraid of dying, and how does Johnny respond to his lack of fear?
8. What happens to Squee in Part 3?
9. What is Squee's relationship with his parents like?
10. Why isn't Johnny's victim amused by the story Johnny tells in Part 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the foreword, it is said that JTHM is good for readers, and that animal instincts must be given expression in the imagination or they will be set loose in the real world. Do you agree with this statement? Is it a good thing for people to read things such as JTHM, to give themselves the opportunity to fantasize about things that are unacceptable in modern society? Or does it desensitize the reader to violence, making the escape of those deadly animal instincts even more likely? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Johnny states, at the end of the book, that he doesn't like where his life is, but he is excited about where it is going. What doesn't Johnny like about his life at present? What changes is he making that will affect the course of his life in the future? What will the results of those changes be, and why? What are Johnny's long-term goals? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Who are D-Boy, Nail Bunny, Mr. Eff and Burger Boy? What purpose does each one serve for Johnny? How do they help the reader gain insight into Johnny's character? How do they help Johnny himself to make decisions, analyze his actions and refocus when he gets upset? What part of Johnny's life and personality does each one represent, and why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 1,030 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)