|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Johnny's response when the captive in Part 2 asks Johnny to loosen his restraints?
2. The survey taker in Part 1 is asking people in the community for their thoughts on what?
3. Johnny tells Squee that he should feel what emotion, with regard to the man in the second strip of Part 3?
4. What is Johnny searching for in Squee's bathroom?
5. What is the couple in Part 3 talking about as they walk home from the theater?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when Johnny kidnapped Kirk?
2. What comes through the floor at the beginning of Part 5?
3. What does Johnny think happened, to make him who he is now?
4. What is Johnny discussing, and with whom, at the beginning of Part 4?
5. What happens on the final page of the book?
6. Why isn't the first captive in Part 2 afraid of dying, and how does Johnny respond to his lack of fear?
7. What does Happy Noodle Boy do, at the end of Part 3?
8. What happens to the young couple in Part 3?
9. What do Johnny and the Devil discuss, regarding God?
10. What happens to Squee in Part 3?
Essay Topic 1
Johnny's "Happy Noodle Boy" cartoons are prevalent in the book, and they offer insight into Johnny's personality. How did Johnny get the idea for "Happy Noodle Boy"? Why does Happy Noodle Boy scream nonsensical phrases at people? Why does Happy Noodle Boy get shot at the end of every strip? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Johnny states, at the end of the book, that he doesn't like where his life is, but he is excited about where it is going. What doesn't Johnny like about his life at present? What changes is he making that will affect the course of his life in the future? What will the results of those changes be, and why? What are Johnny's long-term goals? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
The Devil explains to Johnny that his role on Earth was that of a "waste-lock." What, specifically, was Johnny's intended purpose, according to the Devil? Why was he a poor choice to fulfill that role? Why was the function he performed a necessary one? What set Johnny apart from the other waste-locks? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 2,399 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)