|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Squee's teddy bear?
2. Why does Johnny try to kill Devi?
3. Why does Johnny panic and leave the room the first time he is with Devi?
4. What is the subject of the public service announcement in Part 3?
5. The survey taker informs Johnny that some believe what about the killer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the comic strip written by Johnny about?
2. What does the first captive in Part 2 ask Johnny to do, and why does he refuse?
3. Who is the main character, and what does he do?
4. Which characters influence Johnny, regarding whether or not he should commit suicide, in Part 1?
5. How does Johnny feel about himself?
6. Why isn't Johnny's victim amused by the story Johnny tells in Part 3?
7. Why isn't the first captive in Part 2 afraid of dying, and how does Johnny respond to his lack of fear?
8. What is Squee's relationship with his parents like?
9. How does Johnny's first encounter with Devi end?
10. Who is the first character to be introduced in the book, and how is he introduced?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Johnny claims that violence in the media is only a problem if those watching it are idiots; this is the opposite of the commonly-heard argument that violence in the media is desensitizing, and creates violence in real life. Which point of view do you agree with? Is media violence only dangerous if it isn't put into context, and if those watching it cannot distinguish it as fiction and not reality? Or, is any amount of violence damaging because it diminishes our natural responses to horrific sights and actions? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Johnny's "Happy Noodle Boy" cartoons are prevalent in the book, and they offer insight into Johnny's personality. How did Johnny get the idea for "Happy Noodle Boy"? Why does Happy Noodle Boy scream nonsensical phrases at people? Why does Happy Noodle Boy get shot at the end of every strip? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
There are public service announcements throughout the book, which satirize different aspects of society. What is the purpose of these strips, and what messages are they intended to convey? What do they reveal about the author's attitudes towards various issues present in today's society, and why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 1,018 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)