Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the visitors leave with Joe?
2. What do the Americans wish they were drinking?
3. How does Joe think he can count sunrises?
4. What does Joe think is the key to figuring out time?
5. What does Joe think about his teachers?
Joe muses on his being a prisoner and as he does so, he empathizes with prisoners throughout the ages. Discuss one of the following:
1. Discuss fully how involuntary confinement affects the human spirit. Use examples from the text and personal experience.
2. Compare and contrast the experience of a prisoner who is one due to his choice to commit a crime versus a prisoner who has done no wrong but is one due to oppression by those stronger than s/he.
3. Are there more humane and rehabilitative methods to confine dangerous or criminal people than the United State's current methods?
Bonham recalls much of his life, and in a sense, writes a "memoir" in his mind. One aspect of a memoir is the idea of memory. Discuss the following:
1. How accurate do you think Joe's recall is about specific incidents in his life? Explain.
2. Do you think Joe is more or less likely to remember his past considering his present situation? Explain your reasoning.
3. Does recalling his life help Joe remain self-aware? Why or why not? Why would he want to remain self aware?
If human beings are both body and spirit as many religions suggest, Joe seems to be existing in a grey area--neither fully body nor fully spirit. Discuss the following:
1. What aspects of Joe's present life are most like being in "spirit" form? Give examples and analyze your examples.
2. What aspects of Joe's present life are most like being in "corporal" form? Give examples and analyze your examples.
3. How does Joe's actions over the course of the novel demonstrate his preference for either aspect--body or spirit?
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)