|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Joe think he might be in an English hospital?
2. How long does Joe think he's been unaware of time?
3. Why does Joe decide a particular day is New Year's Day?
4. At what age does Kareen remain in Joe's mind?
5. What is one thing Joe says can be invented as a result of others seeing him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why can't Bonham stand the train and what does he do when he sees Christ?
2. How does Joe think of Kareen and what does he wonder about her?
3. What obstacle does Joe see in their granting his request and what is his solution?
4. Describe how Joe thinks of the Christmas story his mother used to read.
5. What does Joe think about to try and use his mind?
6. Describe Bonnie Flannigan and what does she tell Joe?
7. What does Joe think is the key to knowing time and how does he plan to use the key?
8. What is the response to Joe's offer and Joe's reaction?
9. What does the little guy waiting for the train with Joe say? How does Joe answer him? What do they do then?
10. What do you think it means when Joe thinks that two billion people have been pushing the lid of his coffin down and covering him with dirt and stone.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the images in the book is the returning to the womb of an adult. Joe often expresses a feeling of being in a womb. When he first begins assessing his situation in the hospital, he expresses the desire that his mother care for him as he saw her care for his youngest sister, Elizabeth. Discuss the following:
1. How is the image of being in a womb both a positive and negative one in the book?
2. Why do you think Joe yearns for his mother to treat him like his young sister? Do you think his mother would be willing to care for Joe?
3. Many people who are dying, especially unexpectedly or in combat, call out for "mother." Discuss why you think this is so and include examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
When a new nurse if finally able to understand that Joe is tapping out words using Morse Code, hope and joy infuse Joe. Discuss the following:
1. How does Joe finally manage to communicate with the new nurse?
2. What are Joe's reactions to communicating? Give examples.
3. Why do you think Joe offers to be a "circus" exhibit? Do you think he would eventually regret such an offer? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Electric pain shakes him hard and throws him back into bed, exhausted. He feels sweat all over beneath bandages that wrap him top to bottom. Knowing he is hurt badly, he feels his heart pounding but cannot hear his pulse. This means he is "stone deaf".
1. Do you think the normal reaction in Joe's situation would be to want to die? Why or why not?
2. Discuss the ways in which you believe Joe's pain might be affecting his mind and emotions.
3. Joe has found out by logical deduction that he is deaf. How do you think that knowledge has affected him? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 1,482 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)