Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the visitors leave with Joe?
2. What do the Americans wish they were drinking?
3. How does Joe think he can count sunrises?
4. What does Joe think is the key to figuring out time?
5. What does Joe think about his teachers?
Essay Topic 1
For a few brief moments at the end of the book before Joe is sedated, he is able to communicate his desire to have a purpose. Discuss the following:
1. What does Joe offer to do? Is this a wise thing to suggest?
2. What is the response to Joe's offer? Why?
3. Why is having a sense of purpose so important to Joe?
4. Do you think Joe will re-think what he offers given the response and try to communicate again? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Joe thinks about how the doctor's have saved his life, but he rather than feeling appreciative, he is resentful and feels more like a science experiment. Discuss one of the following:
1. Elaborate on and analyze Joe's attitudes towards the doctors both at the field hospital and in his long term care facility.
2. Discuss the pros and cons of saving life at any cost, whether on the battlefield or otherwise.
3. One might think that doctors work harder to save young people because they are young and have not had a full lifespan, yet, in our culture, doctors often go to heroic efforts to save quite elderly persons, spending much resources for little return. Are their efforts "heroic"? Discuss fully.
Essay Topic 3
One of the images in the book is the returning to the womb of an adult. Joe often expresses a feeling of being in a womb. When he first begins assessing his situation in the hospital, he expresses the desire that his mother care for him as he saw her care for his youngest sister, Elizabeth. Discuss the following:
1. How is the image of being in a womb both a positive and negative one in the book?
2. Why do you think Joe yearns for his mother to treat him like his young sister? Do you think his mother would be willing to care for Joe?
3. Many people who are dying, especially unexpectedly or in combat, call out for "mother." Discuss why you think this is so and include examples from the text.
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)