|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does he feel about slaves shackled in Roman ships?
2. In Joe's dream what can Jesus do?
3. To what does Joe compare himself?
4. What does Joe think about life?
5. To whom does Joe compare himself?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Joe think he's in England?
2. What does Joe think about when he can feel dawn?
3. Describe the process of the new nurse attempting to communicate with Joe.
4. What does Bonham realize he wants?
5. What is the response to Joe's offer and Joe's reaction?
6. Why does Bonham lose track of everything and what does he do?
7. What does a doctor do when Joe keeps tapping and what does Joe think is the reason why?
8. What is Joe's first response to what the nurse communicates to him?
9. Why can't Bonham stand the train and what does he do when he sees Christ?
10. What obstacle does Joe see in their granting his request and what is his solution?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
For a few brief moments at the end of the book before Joe is sedated, he is able to communicate his desire to have a purpose. Discuss the following:
1. What does Joe offer to do? Is this a wise thing to suggest?
2. What is the response to Joe's offer? Why?
3. Why is having a sense of purpose so important to Joe?
4. Do you think Joe will re-think what he offers given the response and try to communicate again? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Joe Bonham also has to join, and ends up lying in bed, thinking this is no place for him, no war for him, none of his business. What does he care about making the world safe for democracy?
1. Compare Joe's feelings about war and his assertion that it is none of his business with the ideas many Vietnam draftees expressed.
2. Do you think Joe's reaction to war is a common reaction for draftees? Why or why not?
3. The idea that rich, political persons declare war but the common, poor person fights them. Do you agree with this statement? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Joe thinks about how the doctor's have saved his life, but he rather than feeling appreciative, he is resentful and feels more like a science experiment. Discuss one of the following:
1. Elaborate on and analyze Joe's attitudes towards the doctors both at the field hospital and in his long term care facility.
2. Discuss the pros and cons of saving life at any cost, whether on the battlefield or otherwise.
3. One might think that doctors work harder to save young people because they are young and have not had a full lifespan, yet, in our culture, doctors often go to heroic efforts to save quite elderly persons, spending much resources for little return. Are their efforts "heroic"? Discuss fully.
This section contains 1,437 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)