|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Joe first start trying to keep track of time?
2. With whom does Joe sleep every night in his dreams?
3. What do new nurses do with Joe?
4. What does Flannigan say will happen if Joe sticks with her?
5. What does Joe think about life?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Joe remember about New Year's Eve in Shale City and Los Angeles?
2. What does Joe think about to try and use his mind?
3. What obstacle does Joe see in their granting his request and what is his solution?
4. Why does Joe think he's in England?
5. How does Joe think of Kareen and what does he wonder about her?
6. Describe how Joe thinks of the Christmas story his mother used to read.
7. What does the little guy waiting for the train with Joe say? How does Joe answer him? What do they do then?
8. Why can't Bonham stand the train and what does he do when he sees Christ?
9. What did Lucky survive in America and how did she survive it?
10. How does the prostitute that Joe thinks he loves handle the situation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the images in the book is the returning to the womb of an adult. Joe often expresses a feeling of being in a womb. When he first begins assessing his situation in the hospital, he expresses the desire that his mother care for him as he saw her care for his youngest sister, Elizabeth. Discuss the following:
1. How is the image of being in a womb both a positive and negative one in the book?
2. Why do you think Joe yearns for his mother to treat him like his young sister? Do you think his mother would be willing to care for Joe?
3. Many people who are dying, especially unexpectedly or in combat, call out for "mother." Discuss why you think this is so and include examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
When a new nurse if finally able to understand that Joe is tapping out words using Morse Code, hope and joy infuse Joe. Discuss the following:
1. How does Joe finally manage to communicate with the new nurse?
2. What are Joe's reactions to communicating? Give examples.
3. Why do you think Joe offers to be a "circus" exhibit? Do you think he would eventually regret such an offer? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
For a few brief moments at the end of the book before Joe is sedated, he is able to communicate his desire to have a purpose. Discuss the following:
1. What does Joe offer to do? Is this a wise thing to suggest?
2. What is the response to Joe's offer? Why?
3. Why is having a sense of purpose so important to Joe?
4. Do you think Joe will re-think what he offers given the response and try to communicate again? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,356 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)