|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joe think war is for the doctors?
2. What minor injury does Joe think about?
3. What type of musical instrument does Joe's mother play?
4. What happens when Joe tries to yell?
5. What did his parents use when they were courting?
Short Essay Questions
1. What idea does Pinky Carson come up with for Jose and how does that work out?
2. Describe how Joe is feeling while working in the desert.
3. Where does Joe see Jose while he's lying in bed, what does he ask him and what does Joe figure out?
4. Why doesn't Joe worry about loss of appetite?
5. What does Joe think about doctors and war?
6. How does Joe think he might be able to tell being awake and asleep with no eyes?
7. What does Joe see on the way home from the train station?
8. Why does Joe wish someone would pick up the phone and what happens when they do?
9. When is Joe's birthday; how did they celebrate; and what present did Glen give him one year? What came a few months after that present?
10. How far does Joe walk to get to the bakery and how much money does he make?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
If human beings are both body and spirit as many religions suggest, Joe seems to be existing in a grey area--neither fully body nor fully spirit. Discuss the following:
1. What aspects of Joe's present life are most like being in "spirit" form? Give examples and analyze your examples.
2. What aspects of Joe's present life are most like being in "corporal" form? Give examples and analyze your examples.
3. How does Joe's actions over the course of the novel demonstrate his preference for either aspect--body or spirit?
Essay Topic 2
Electric pain shakes him hard and throws him back into bed, exhausted. He feels sweat all over beneath bandages that wrap him top to bottom. Knowing he is hurt badly, he feels his heart pounding but cannot hear his pulse. This means he is "stone deaf".
1. Do you think the normal reaction in Joe's situation would be to want to die? Why or why not?
2. Discuss the ways in which you believe Joe's pain might be affecting his mind and emotions.
3. Joe has found out by logical deduction that he is deaf. How do you think that knowledge has affected him? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Imagery and symbols play a large role in this story. Discuss one of the following:
1. Choose one recurring image or symbol and analyze it and show how it relates to two major themes.
2. Discuss why you think that someone in Joe's situation would include much imagery in his thought processes.
3. Why do you think any author uses images and symbols rather than clearly expressing an idea? Give examples to support your stance.
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)