|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Bonham think he is dying?
2. What does Joe go to the store for on Saturdays?
3. Why does Howie wake Joe up when they have gone to bed for the night?
4. What does Joe think is the only important thing he has left?
5. Why does Joe think he may be lucky not having a nose?
Short Essay Questions
1. What doesn't Joe understand about being alive?
2. What does Joe think about doctors and war?
3. What book did Joe read that gave him a nightmare and what was that nightmare?
4. Why does Howie wake Joe up after working all day on the railroad?
5. Who does Joe call out to in his nightmare and why?
6. What does Joe think about guys fighting for liberty?
7. How far does Joe walk to get to the bakery and how much money does he make?
8. Describe how Joe is feeling while working in the desert.
9. Who is the pilot who comes to Joe's hometown, what does he do and what does the superintendent of schools say about airplanes?
10. What are the two problems Jose talks to the guys at the bakery about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
For a few brief moments at the end of the book before Joe is sedated, he is able to communicate his desire to have a purpose. Discuss the following:
1. What does Joe offer to do? Is this a wise thing to suggest?
2. What is the response to Joe's offer? Why?
3. Why is having a sense of purpose so important to Joe?
4. Do you think Joe will re-think what he offers given the response and try to communicate again? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
When one is unconscious, there is no such thing as time, and when fading in and out, people feel time bunch up--like women in labor for three days saying it seems like ten hours. Considering he may have been like this for two years, Bonham feels a panicky dread. He needs to "trap" time and get back into the world. Discuss one of the following:
1. How does Joe Bonham think of time and eventually "trap" time?
2. What are the ways humans measure time and why does Bonham have such difficulty figuring out a system to measure time? Why do you think he wants to know about the passage of time?
3. What are the advantages and disadvantages of the construct of time? Use examples both from the text and your own experience.
Essay Topic 3
War is one of the most common occurrences in the history of humankind. Discuss one of the following:
1. Analyze how Joe feels about WWI. Are his feelings typical of others in the book? Are his beliefs about the war justifiable? Explain with examples.
2. Does your belief about WWI change as you read this book? What about your beliefs about war in general? Explain with examples from the text and your own experience.
3. Many resources throughout the ages have been used in the pursuit of war-related activities. Does the war in this book justify the loss of life and resources? Why or why not? Does any war justify the same?
This section contains 1,043 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)