Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does his girlfriend's father do in the morning on his departure day?
2. What does Joe decide when he figures out he's deaf?
3. Where did Joe and his friends swim in Colorado?
4. How does Joe figure out that he is deaf?
5. Why does Joe Bonham wish someone would pick up the phone?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Joe say every Allied nation expects?
2. Where does Joe see Jose while he's lying in bed, what does he ask him and what does Joe figure out?
3. What does the little guy waiting for the train with Joe say? How does Joe answer him? What do they do then?
4. How does Joe think of Kareen and what does he wonder about her?
5. What does Joe think about guys fighting for liberty?
6. Why does Joe think being the way he is is worse than being in the womb?
7. When did Joe become aware of the war and what events in the war occurred at that time?
8. How does the prostitute that Joe thinks he loves handle the situation?
9. What does Joe remember about New Year's Eve in Shale City and Los Angeles?
10. Why does Bonham consider himself a slave and what does he ask God?
Essay Topic 1
Joe muses on his being a prisoner and as he does so, he empathizes with prisoners throughout the ages. Discuss one of the following:
1. Discuss fully how involuntary confinement affects the human spirit. Use examples from the text and personal experience.
2. Compare and contrast the experience of a prisoner who is one due to his choice to commit a crime versus a prisoner who has done no wrong but is one due to oppression by those stronger than s/he.
3. Are there more humane and rehabilitative methods to confine dangerous or criminal people than the United State's current methods?
Essay Topic 2
When a new nurse if finally able to understand that Joe is tapping out words using Morse Code, hope and joy infuse Joe. Discuss the following:
1. How does Joe finally manage to communicate with the new nurse?
2. What are Joe's reactions to communicating? Give examples.
3. Why do you think Joe offers to be a "circus" exhibit? Do you think he would eventually regret such an offer? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Electric pain shakes him hard and throws him back into bed, exhausted. He feels sweat all over beneath bandages that wrap him top to bottom. Knowing he is hurt badly, he feels his heart pounding but cannot hear his pulse. This means he is "stone deaf".
1. Do you think the normal reaction in Joe's situation would be to want to die? Why or why not?
2. Discuss the ways in which you believe Joe's pain might be affecting his mind and emotions.
3. Joe has found out by logical deduction that he is deaf. How do you think that knowledge has affected him? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 1,031 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)