|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joe do when he finally realizes the full extent of his injuries?
2. What does Joe think you die for in war?
3. After he finds out he has no mouth, teeth or palate what does he realize?
4. In what month is Joe's birthday?
5. What does Joe wonder about when he thinks of the foxhole?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Joe see on the way home from the train station?
2. What does Joe think guys should do when called up for the military?
3. Describe the scene at Joe's parents house when he arrives home after his father died.
4. How does Joe come to know he has no face?
5. Where does Joe see Jose while he's lying in bed, what does he ask him and what does Joe figure out?
6. What does Joe think about doctors and war?
7. What are the two problems Jose talks to the guys at the bakery about?
8. Why does Joe think being the way he is is worse than being in the womb?
9. What does Joe think when he thinks of his family and what does he see as the reality?
10. Why does Joe think he is dying and why does he know he is alive?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Electric pain shakes him hard and throws him back into bed, exhausted. He feels sweat all over beneath bandages that wrap him top to bottom. Knowing he is hurt badly, he feels his heart pounding but cannot hear his pulse. This means he is "stone deaf".
1. Do you think the normal reaction in Joe's situation would be to want to die? Why or why not?
2. Discuss the ways in which you believe Joe's pain might be affecting his mind and emotions.
3. Joe has found out by logical deduction that he is deaf. How do you think that knowledge has affected him? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
When a new nurse if finally able to understand that Joe is tapping out words using Morse Code, hope and joy infuse Joe. Discuss the following:
1. How does Joe finally manage to communicate with the new nurse?
2. What are Joe's reactions to communicating? Give examples.
3. Why do you think Joe offers to be a "circus" exhibit? Do you think he would eventually regret such an offer? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Joe Bonham wonders why people are so inconsiderate, and feels more like he is coming out of ether rather than hung over, and is tired of hearing that his father is dead and going home. Father can die only once, so the phone must be part of a dream.
1. Joe is lying in a VA hospital with horrific injuries. He feels like he is coming out of ether. He is. The world at the moment seems unreal to him. Explain the flashbacks and images that Joe has in his head at the beginning of the book.
2. Almost all of this book is written as flashbacks to Joe's life before he was injured. How did this narrative technique enhance the book? Given Joe's injuries, discuss any other options the author may have had to tell the story.
3. How did the fact that this book is almost entirely flashbacks affect the pace? What about the plot? How did it enhance or obscure the themes?
This section contains 1,031 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)