|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joe find out when someone finally answers the phone?
2. What does Joe do when Harper tells him Diane went out with Hogan?
3. Joe would think he was dead except why?
4. What did his parents use when they were courting?
5. How does Joe figure out that he is deaf?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Joe think about to try and use his mind?
2. What idea does Pinky Carson come up with for Jose and how does that work out?
3. Describe how Joe is feeling while working in the desert.
4. Why does Howie wake Joe up after working all day on the railroad?
5. How does Joe realize he has no left arm and how does he feel about it?
6. Why does Bonham consider himself a slave and what does he ask God?
7. How does Joe think he might be able to tell being awake and asleep with no eyes?
8. What does Joe remember about New Year's Eve in Shale City and Los Angeles?
9. Why does he worry about a ring? What kind of ring is it and who gave it to him?
10. What happens to Joe in his third year in the hospital?
Essay Topic 1
When one is unconscious, there is no such thing as time, and when fading in and out, people feel time bunch up--like women in labor for three days saying it seems like ten hours. Considering he may have been like this for two years, Bonham feels a panicky dread. He needs to "trap" time and get back into the world. Discuss one of the following:
1. How does Joe Bonham think of time and eventually "trap" time?
2. What are the ways humans measure time and why does Bonham have such difficulty figuring out a system to measure time? Why do you think he wants to know about the passage of time?
3. What are the advantages and disadvantages of the construct of time? Use examples both from the text and your own experience.
Essay Topic 2
Communication is usually taken for granted by most people. In his very injured state, Joe is unable to communicate for many months. Discuss one of the following:
1. Compare and contrast Joe's ways of communication before and after his war injury. In what ways does his personality come through even after he is injured?
2. Discuss how Joe compensates for not being able to communicate. What do you think Joe would have done had he never figured out a way to communicate?
3. When Joe's "captors" realize his views about war, what do they do to keep Joe from communicating? How do you think this would ultimately affect Joe long term?
Essay Topic 3
For a few brief moments at the end of the book before Joe is sedated, he is able to communicate his desire to have a purpose. Discuss the following:
1. What does Joe offer to do? Is this a wise thing to suggest?
2. What is the response to Joe's offer? Why?
3. Why is having a sense of purpose so important to Joe?
4. Do you think Joe will re-think what he offers given the response and try to communicate again? Why or why not?
This section contains 3,121 words
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)