|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Joe realize about why they respond to what he is saying?
(a) They are afraid men will refuse to fight anymore.
(b) They think he needs more time to recover.
(c) They think he is insane.
(d) They do not care.
2. Where does Joe say they can take him?
(a) To hell.
(b) To be viewed by those who make decisions about war.
(c) To the zoo.
3. About what does Joe worry?
(a) That he offered too much.
(b) That he did not express himself clearly.
(c) That they will try to kill him for his thoughts.
(d) That the nurse will punish him.
4. What does Joe do when he sees Christ in the desert?
(a) Slaps him in the face.
(b) Throws himself down and cries.
(c) Begs to die.
(d) Runs away from him.
5. Why does Joe think he might be in an English hospital?
(a) It's the closest hospital.
(b) He was in the trenches with English soldiers.
(c) The smell is of the English heather.
(d) He heard British accents right before he went deaf.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the day nurse do with Joe?
2. What do the Americans wish they were drinking?
3. What does Joe ask of God?
4. Who comes in the room and prods Joe's body?
5. What does the day nurse do that brings Joe pleasure?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do you think it means when Joe thinks that two billion people have been pushing the lid of his coffin down and covering him with dirt and stone.
2. What does Joe think about to try and use his mind?
3. What is Joe's first response to what the nurse communicates to him?
4. Describe Bonnie Flannigan and what does she tell Joe?
5. Why does Joe think he's in England?
6. What does Bonham realize he wants?
7. Why does Bonham consider himself a slave and what does he ask God?
8. What does the little guy waiting for the train with Joe say? How does Joe answer him? What do they do then?
9. What happens to Joe in his third year in the hospital?
10. How does Joe think of Kareen and what does he wonder about her?
This section contains 1,041 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)