|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Joe loses track of everything but what?
(b) The dawn.
(c) The nurses footsteps.
(d) His daily bath.
2. What does Joe feel as the man prods him?
(a) A sting on his stump.
(b) Sharp, jagged pain.
(c) A warmth.
(d) Cold, like ice.
3. What does Joe think about his mother reading?
(a) "The Charge of the Light Brigade."
(b) "'Twas the Night Before Christmas."
(c) The tale of Jesus's crucifixion.
(d) An answer to who he is.
4. What does Laurette give Joe for a graduation present?
(a) A ring.
(b) A plush bathrobe.
(c) A pair of gold cuff links.
(d) A silk tie.
5. Why won't the Scotchman fight the Bavarian?
(a) His father is Bavarian.
(b) His mother is Bavarian.
(c) He is related to the Bavarian crown prince.
(d) He thinks their crown prince is the rightful king of England.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Joe and Flannigan often do together?
2. How does Joe first start trying to keep track of time?
3. What is the doctor's response to Joe's continued tapping?
4. What does Joe reject as the nurse listens to his tapping?
5. What does Joe assume when he feels the nurse's hand for the fifth time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the little guy waiting for the train with Joe say? How does Joe answer him? What do they do then?
2. What do you think it means when Joe thinks that two billion people have been pushing the lid of his coffin down and covering him with dirt and stone.
3. Why does Joe feel a dread about time and what does he think he needs to do?
4. Why does Bonham lose track of everything and what does he do?
5. What does Joe say every Allied nation expects?
6. Why does Bonham consider himself a slave and what does he ask God?
7. Describe how Joe thinks of the Christmas story his mother used to read.
8. What does Joe think is the key to knowing time and how does he plan to use the key?
9. What is Joe's first response to what the nurse communicates to him?
10. What happens to Joe in his third year in the hospital?
This section contains 1,131 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)