|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is everyone in Bethlehem in the story Joe's mother reads?
(a) To watch an eclipse of the sun.
(b) To go to a Christmas pageant.
(c) Paying taxes.
(d) To flee the Romans.
2. What is the new nurse writing on Joe's chest?
(a) Happy Easter.
(b) Who are you.
(c) Merry Christmas.
(d) The war is over.
3. What does Joe believe he must do now?
(a) Try again to kill himself.
(b) Learn how to think.
(c) Figure out where he is.
(d) Figure out how much of his body is left.
4. Why does Joe think he might be in an English hospital?
(a) He heard British accents right before he went deaf.
(b) It's the closest hospital.
(c) The smell is of the English heather.
(d) He was in the trenches with English soldiers.
5. What direction does Joe face in his third year in the hospital?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joe imagine the day nurse to look like?
2. How does Joe feel about those who hold him?
3. How long does Joe think he's been unaware of time?
4. What does Joe think about life?
5. On what side of the hospital is Joe's room?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Bonham's initial thought when asked what he wants and why do you think this is so?
2. What does the little guy waiting for the train with Joe say? How does Joe answer him? What do they do then?
3. Describe Bonnie Flannigan and what does she tell Joe?
4. Why does Joe feel a dread about time and what does he think he needs to do?
5. What does Joe imagine as he waits for the nurse to return and do you think he is overreacting?
6. Describe how Joe thinks of the Christmas story his mother used to read.
7. How does Joe envision his nurses?
8. What happens to Joe in his third year in the hospital?
9. What did Lucky survive in America and how did she survive it?
10. What does Joe say every Allied nation expects?
This section contains 1,136 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)