|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Joe do when he realizes he can feel the dawn?
(a) He starts to count minutes.
(b) He flips over.
(c) He feels sad he can't see it.
(d) He relaxes and sings in his mind.
2. What does Joe realize about why they respond to what he is saying?
(a) They think he needs more time to recover.
(b) They are afraid men will refuse to fight anymore.
(c) They think he is insane.
(d) They do not care.
3. What is Joe's concern about asking for something?
(a) That the government is already spending huge sums to keep him alive.
(b) That they will refuse.
(c) That it is silly to expect anything in his situation.
(d) That they will misunderstand.
4. Why did Bonnie Flannigan say hello to Joe?
(a) She thinks he's good looking.
(b) She's looking for customers.
(c) She recognized him from Shale City.
(d) She mistook him for somone else.
5. What does Laurette give Joe for a graduation present?
(a) A plush bathrobe.
(b) A pair of gold cuff links.
(c) A silk tie.
(d) A ring.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joe imagine the day nurse to look like?
2. What does Joe believe is about to happen?
3. What does Joe need most?
4. What does Joe compare himself to now, in the hospital?
5. What is one thing Joe says can be invented as a result of others seeing him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Joe imagine as he waits for the nurse to return and do you think he is overreacting?
2. What does Joe think about when he can feel dawn?
3. What does Joe remember about New Year's Eve in Shale City and Los Angeles?
4. How does Joe think of Kareen and what does he wonder about her?
5. Why does Joe feel a dread about time and what does he think he needs to do?
6. What does Joe think about to try and use his mind?
7. What does the little guy waiting for the train with Joe say? How does Joe answer him? What do they do then?
8. What do you think it means when Joe thinks that two billion people have been pushing the lid of his coffin down and covering him with dirt and stone.
9. What does Joe say every Allied nation expects?
10. Describe how Joe thinks of the Christmas story his mother used to read.
This section contains 1,240 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)