|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. About what does Joe worry?
(a) That he did not express himself clearly.
(b) That the nurse will punish him.
(c) That they will try to kill him for his thoughts.
(d) That he offered too much.
2. What is the doctor's response to Joe's continued tapping?
(a) A slap.
(b) Reassurance that they will let him go.
(c) He ignores Joe.
3. What does Joe realize about why they respond to what he is saying?
(a) They think he is insane.
(b) They do not care.
(c) They think he needs more time to recover.
(d) They are afraid men will refuse to fight anymore.
4. What does Bonham sense as this chapter opens?
(a) That he is dying.
(b) That there is much bustle in the halls.
(c) That the hospital is under attack.
(d) That a new nurse is caring for him.
5. How long does Joe figure it will take for him to feel warmth on his skin?
(a) A couple of months.
(b) A few weeks.
(c) Half a year.
(d) Several days.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joe imagine the day nurse to look like?
2. Who comes in the room and prods Joe's body?
3. What does Joe realize now that he has "trapped" time?
4. Why does Joe say Americans are different from Frenchmen or Englishmen?
5. Why does Joe keep on tapping?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the process of the new nurse attempting to communicate with Joe.
2. Why does Joe feel a dread about time and what does he think he needs to do?
3. What does Joe imagine as he waits for the nurse to return and do you think he is overreacting?
4. What is the response to Joe's offer and Joe's reaction?
5. Why can't Bonham stand the train and what does he do when he sees Christ?
6. What does a doctor do when Joe keeps tapping and what does Joe think is the reason why?
7. What does Joe think about when he can feel dawn?
8. What do you think it means when Joe thinks that two billion people have been pushing the lid of his coffin down and covering him with dirt and stone.
9. What is Joe's first response to what the nurse communicates to him?
10. What is Bonham's initial thought when asked what he wants and why do you think this is so?
This section contains 1,289 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)